PDA

View Full Version : Computers Anybody looking for a cheap laptop?

Lzen
06-23-2009, 09:04 AM
Acer Aspire AS5515 Refurbished Notebook Computer

Acer Aspire AS5515 Refurbished Notebook PC

160GB hard drive
AMD Athlon 2650e 1.6GHz processor
3GB of DDR2 memory
802.11b/g WLAN
Windows Vista Home Basic
ATI Radeon™ Xpress 1200
15.4 inch WXGA screen
DVDRW

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=4553294&sku=S445-150034&SRCCODE=WEM1960V&cm_mmc=Email-_-Main-_-WEM1960-_-laptopdeal

Ecto-I
06-23-2009, 09:35 AM
Lemme guess...you "found" it in some cafe...:D

Dr. Johnny Fever
06-23-2009, 10:03 AM
I'm looking for one... planned to buy a Toshiba 585 this Friday from Best Buy with the same sized hard-drive and 2GB memory for $50 more. 'Puter genius's.... input? The words "refurbished" and "Acer" scare me.

Otter
06-23-2009, 10:12 AM
1.6 Ghz = ouch

Kerberos
06-23-2009, 10:41 AM

I was going to ask if it was a "FightClub" special. :hmmm:

Lzen
06-23-2009, 10:43 AM

ROFL

No, I don't do that. Tiger Direct is a great online store. And that price is great.

BWillie
06-23-2009, 10:44 AM
1.6 Ghz = ouch

Yeah, I'm not a computer guy that but is kind of low. Somebody told me that the quality of the processor matters more than the GHZ. Is this computer still gonna be pretty fast? 299 is a good price. I was thinking about buying one of those like 8 inch screen laptops though to carry around wherever, but the small screen would be a pain in the ass.

Kyle DeLexus
06-23-2009, 10:45 AM
sellout.woot.com

Lzen
06-23-2009, 10:46 AM
I'm looking for one... planned to buy a Toshiba 585 this Friday from Best Buy with the same sized hard-drive and 2GB memory for $50 more. 'Puter genius's.... input? The words "refurbished" and "Acer" scare me.

Nothing wrong with Acer. They are a well known brand. I bought a new Acer laptop last fall. It is a good laptop for me.

As far as refurbs, I understand the apprehension. Still, if you can get over that, you will save yourself some bucks. I still have a Toshiba refurb laptop I bought from them about 4 years ago. I also have a Vizio LCD tv I bought from TD 2 years ago. Both work fine. I will admit, though, that I bought a 5 year extended warranty from the Vizio company on that tv just to be safe.

BTW, I would not recommend buying a refurb Xbox 360. ;)

Hootie
06-23-2009, 11:36 AM
thanks for the link...my friend has been in dire need of a laptop and I think he's going to buy this one...without a service plan...hopefully it doesn't crap out in a week and make me look like an asshole for sharing the link.

Otter
06-23-2009, 12:43 PM
Yeah, I'm not a computer guy that but is kind of low. Somebody told me that the quality of the processor matters more than the GHZ. Is this computer still gonna be pretty fast? 299 is a good price. I was thinking about buying one of those like 8 inch screen laptops though to carry around wherever, but the small screen would be a pain in the ass.

Processor (and laptop itself) should be fine for word processing, spreadsheets, watching movies from DVD drive, surfing the web. I'd start to worry about streaming movies and graphic wise games are probably out of the question.

Think of it as the Ford Tarus of laptops. It will get you where you wanna go with no frills.

Can't beat that price either.

googlegoogle
06-23-2009, 01:34 PM
Aren't they selling new laptops for around $300?

Dr. Johnny Fever
06-23-2009, 01:35 PM
Nothing wrong with Acer. They are a well known brand. I bought a new Acer laptop last fall. It is a good laptop for me.

As far as refurbs, I understand the apprehension. Still, if you can get over that, you will save yourself some bucks. I still have a Toshiba refurb laptop I bought from them about 4 years ago. I also have a Vizio LCD tv I bought from TD 2 years ago. Both work fine. I will admit, though, that I bought a 5 year extended warranty from the Vizio company on that tv just to be safe.

BTW, I would not recommend buying a refurb Xbox 360. ;)

Thanks for the input. My gf has an Acer desktop that is fine for her. I guess my next question would be is it worth it for me to spend just another $50 for a brand new Toshiba. It seems like it probably is to me.

MoreLemonPledge
06-23-2009, 01:44 PM

New netbooks. And pretty basic ones at that.

For what you're getting here, it's a pretty darn good deal. As long as you're not using it as a desktop replacement you should be fine.

Lzen
06-23-2009, 02:38 PM
Thanks for the input. My gf has an Acer desktop that is fine for her. I guess my next question would be is it worth it for me to spend just another $50 for a brand new Toshiba. It seems like it probably is to me.

Well, I would have to ask what are the specs. But yeah, if all things were equal and you were deciding to spend $50 more for a brand new Toshiba, I would probably go that route.

Lzen
06-23-2009, 02:39 PM

Yeah, little ones that are real basic. And they usually only have 8" screens. This one here is a full sized laptop.