KC native
06-23-2009, 09:13 AM
I am thinking about getting snipped.

I have no desire for children.

I do not want to have to name one Oops.

What are your thoughts.

Ang

ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

Seriously though, if you don't want kids then go for it. My pops was snipped and it kept him from having anymore kids that he wouldn't take care of.

angelo
06-23-2009, 09:13 AM
over 35

It's not the years it is the mileage.

Ang

wild1
06-23-2009, 09:14 AM
Pro: no kids
Con: someone takes a knife and...

The Franchise
over 35

It's not the years it is the mileage.

Ang

Ok...I just wanted to make sure that you weren't like 22 and looking to get it. If you're 35 and you know that you'll never want to father a kid....then go do it.

Scorp
No way any type of sharp object ever gets anywhere near my balls! Period!

cdcox
How old are you? If you don't have kids, I wouldn't do it until you hit 35 or 40. You could change your mind or meet someone who convinces you to change your mind. Not a decision to be taken lightly.

KC native
06-23-2009, 09:15 AM
Ok...I just wanted to make sure that you weren't like 22 and looking to get it. If you're 35 and you know that you'll never want to father a kid....then go do it.

How old are you? If you don't have kids, I wouldn't do it until you hit 35 or 40. You could change your mind or meet someone who convinces you to change your mind. Not a decision to be taken lightly.

Vasectomies can be reversed now a days.

cdcox
06-23-2009, 09:16 AM
OK, if you're over 35 and definitely don't want kids, it's probably worth doing it.

Scorp
06-23-2009, 09:16 AM
What are possible vasectomy complications and risks?
...What are the causes for any post vasectomy pain?

Any surgical procedure carries some risk, but vasectomy is considered to be low-risk, typically not painful, and vasectomy complications are uncommon. It is important to note that vasectomy should be considered a permanent form of birth control, and it does not protect against sexually transmitted diseases or AIDS.

Discuss any concerns and risks associated with vasectomy with your physician. The following is a list of most, but not all, of the risk issues to consider.

Allergic Reaction - Rarely, some men may experience itching and hives, as an allergic reaction to local anesthetic.

Antibodies - Sperm which are no longer released through ejaculation and absorbed by the body may attract antibodies produced following vasectomy.

Bleeding - Generally painless bleeding may occur following vasectomy and collect under the skin, so that the penis and scrotum appear bruised and/or swollen. The scrotum skin is very thin, which may make bruising appear worse than it actually is and is a normal reaction after vasectomy.

Chronic Orchialagia- A rare vasectomy complication - the patient may experience a dull post vasectomy pain or ache in the testicles that is thought to be caused by a congestion of the epididymis with dead sperm and fluid. If this condition occurs, it usually disappears within six months.

Congestion - A common name for chronic orchialgia (see above).

Epididymitis - One of the more common of the vasectomy complications, epididymitis is a condition which occurs when the larger tube behind the testicle, connected to the vas, becomes inflamed and swollen. The application of heat and the use of anti-inflammatory medication with or without antibiotics usually clear this up within a week.

Failure - Pregnancy may result if a man fails to abstain from sex or use alternative forms of birth control during the waiting period, until the testing for live sperm is completed. There is also one chance in 10 thousand that the cut vas will spontaneously rejoin.

Hematoma - Bleeding may occur inside the scrotum causing post vasectomy pain or swelling. When it occurs, it is usually within the first week of the vasectomy. While seldom serious, it should be reported to a physician.

Immune Reactions - Following vasectomy, the immune system may recognize the absorbed sperm cells as foreign proteins and produce antibodies in response. While many men may experience this immune reaction, current evidence indicates that this reaction generally is not harmful. Immune reactions can also contribute to the development of clogging of arteries, which in turn could lead to heart attacks. However, there is no evidence of an increased risk of atherosclerosis because of a vasectomy.

According to the National Institutes of Health, research that examined this issue found no evidence that vasectomized men were more likely than others to develop heart disease or any other immune illness. (NIH Publication Number 96-4094, April 1996)

Infection - If blood collects under the skin following vasectomy, it can become infected. Post vasectomy infection at the incision site or in deeper tissue occurs in less than 5 percent of all cases. Such vasectomy infections usually respond favorably to antibiotic treatment, antimicrobial creams and hot baths, usually within a week.

Postoperative Pain - Some degree of post vasectomy pain or ache is normal following a vasectomy. The use of acetaminophen (Tylenol), with or without codeine frequently is recommended over aspirin, which can cause bleeding. Any painful discomfort normally resolves within a day or two, while a slight ache may remain longer.

Prostate Cancer - Studies looking at the association of prostate cancer with vasectomy have demonstrated conflicting results in the past. To answer this question, a major study involving over 2000 men was performed and reported in the Journal American Medical Association (JAMA 2002; 287:3110-3115). The conclusion was clearly that there is no increased risk of prostate cancer with vasectomy (NIH News Release).

Sexual Difficulties - It is usually reported that men who undergo vasectomy and their partners express greater enjoyment and spontaneity of sex. However, occasionally a man may experience sexual problems after vasectomy, but these almost always have an emotional basis. Counseling usually alleviates the problem.

Sperm Granulomas - One of the more typical vasectomy sequelae, sperm granulomas occurs when sperm leakage from the testicular cut end of the vas causes a small and usually painless lump. This lump does not pose a danger and frequently resolves over time.

AND in rare cases your penis falls off!

cdcox
06-23-2009, 09:17 AM

Painful (so I've been told) and not 100% effective.

jidar
06-23-2009, 09:17 AM
con: sharp blade on your balls

pro: who cares? they PUT A FUCKING SHARP BLADE IN YOUR BALLS

Skip Towne
06-23-2009, 09:18 AM
I hear things get testy if you get snipped then your wife gets pregnant.

Scorp
06-23-2009, 09:23 AM
In 1996, Daniel and Elizabeth Stalker were about to have their fourth child when they decided that this one would be the last one. Daniel agreed to a vasectomy and made an appointment for the procedure with Dr. Dewart at St. John's Hospital in Livingston, West Lothian in the U.K. Right away, things went wrong. Daniel claims that the anesthesia didn't take and that he repeatedly informed Dr. Dewart of this fact. I don't know if Dr. Dewart had a pressing engagement elsewhere or perhaps thought his patient was just being a big baby, but according to Daniel, he forged ahead despite his protests.

Daniel says he experienced what initially felt like a "weak scratch from a cat" that turned into "a very, very sharp, excruciating pain." Before it was all over, Daniel claims he was vomiting and crying. Dr. Dewart, who has performed more than 1,000 vasectomies, claims it didn't happen and that he would never perform the surgery without ensuring that his patient was properly anesthetized.

To add insult to extreme injury, Daniel suffered nerve damage from the procedure and eventually had his testes removed in an attempt to ease his pain. That didn't work and to this day, Daniel says he is in constant pain and largely bed-bound. He has accused Dr. Dewart and the hospital of covering up what happened to him 12 years ago and has finally won the right to claim up to £1 million compensation for medical negligence.

Of course, no amount of money will compensate for what his wife claims has happened to their lives as a result of the botched procedure. She says she and her husband have "not had any marital life " since then and that their family life has pretty much been destroyed.

InChiefsHeaven
06-23-2009, 10:09 AM
In 1996, Daniel and Elizabeth Stalker were about to have their fourth child when they decided that this one would be the last one. Daniel agreed to a vasectomy and made an appointment for the procedure with Dr. Dewart at St. John's Hospital in Livingston, West Lothian in the U.K. Right away, things went wrong. Daniel claims that the anesthesia didn't take and that he repeatedly informed Dr. Dewart of this fact. I don't know if Dr. Dewart had a pressing engagement elsewhere or perhaps thought his patient was just being a big baby, but according to Daniel, he forged ahead despite his protests.

Daniel says he experienced what initially felt like a "weak scratch from a cat" that turned into "a very, very sharp, excruciating pain." Before it was all over, Daniel claims he was vomiting and crying. Dr. Dewart, who has performed more than 1,000 vasectomies, claims it didn't happen and that he would never perform the surgery without ensuring that his patient was properly anesthetized.

To add insult to extreme injury, Daniel suffered nerve damage from the procedure and eventually had his testes removed in an attempt to ease his pain. That didn't work and to this day, Daniel says he is in constant pain and largely bed-bound. He has accused Dr. Dewart and the hospital of covering up what happened to him 12 years ago and has finally won the right to claim up to £1 million compensation for medical negligence.

Of course, no amount of money will compensate for what his wife claims has happened to their lives as a result of the botched procedure. She says she and her husband have "not had any marital life " since then and that their family life has pretty much been destroyed.

Wow. How bout that UK health care??

I had one a few years ago. I was only 25 and at the time figured the 2 kids were enough. Now, I can honestly say I regret the decision, but it is what it is. To reverse a vasectomy is very expensive, painful, and not guaranteed in any way. My doctor told me that if I do it, I'd better consider it a permanent deal.

It's an out patient surgery. They gave me a shot of Valium before hand (which didn't really kick in until after) and then shaved my stuff. I was on a table with it all hanging out, and the doctor proceeded to give me the local anesthetic. He started, and it didn't really hurt, then he said "OK, now it's going to feel like you got kicked a little..." And he was right. It hurt enough to bring a little water to my eyes, but it only lasted like 10-15 seconds. Honestly, after that it was nothing, probably 30 minutes or less total time. Then my wife drove me home, and the Valium kicked in. I was relaxed. I started taking the pain pills and icing my stuff, and walking around with a jock strap (cuz gravity is definitely your enemy after that) but 3 days later I was pretty much OK.

FWIW, the procedure in the USA is pretty "cut and dry", pardon the pun. It's pretty safe and very effective. You better know that you want to do this.

Molitoth
06-23-2009, 10:12 AM
con: sharp blade on your balls

pro: who cares? they PUT A ****ING SHARP BLADE IN YOUR BALLS

At least it's a sharp blade.... they could attempt it with a dull spoon....

seclark
06-23-2009, 10:15 AM

sure they can...if you let them cut & goober a second time.
sec

Gonzo
06-23-2009, 10:19 AM
Spontanious Fertility...

Oh, btw...

Don't they use "Lasers" now a days?

KC native
06-23-2009, 10:20 AM
Spontanious Fertility...

Oh, btw...

Don't they use "Lasers" now a days?

Depends on if you want it to be permanent or with a possibilty of reversal.

Lzen
06-23-2009, 10:30 AM
What are possible vasectomy complications and risks?
...What are the causes for any post vasectomy pain?

Any surgical procedure carries some risk, but vasectomy is considered to be low-risk, typically not painful, and vasectomy complications are uncommon. It is important to note that vasectomy should be considered a permanent form of birth control, and it does not protect against sexually transmitted diseases or AIDS.........

BULL SHIT!!

Mile High Mania
06-23-2009, 10:31 AM
I'll jump in... I'm 38, father of 3, happily married and we are definitely not interested in having more kids.

So, three months ago, I had this procedure and while it's crazy to think you're asking someone to operate on on your junk... it was a painless ordeal.

First, make sure you go to a good doctor... if he's worth anything, he'll talk with you about the pros and cons and answer any and all questions you have.

I would say that 50% of my friends (same age range and all with kids) have had this procedure... the complications and risks are over-rated. It's such an easy procedure.

Yes, it can be reversed, but it's not easy... and the success rate isn't great.

Anyway... I had my consultation and 2 weeks later, I had the procedure. It took 20 minutes.

Essentially, it goes like this:
1) prior to going in, you make sure you shave your balls and don't eat or drink whatever it is he says to avoid
2) you lie on the table, and this is the awkward part... you're covered with a li'l paper blanket thing and the doctor comes in to administer the "numbing process"
3) yes, the doctor is going to handle your junk and will whipe you down with a moist cloth to sanitize the area, also there is a 'numbing' ointment put on the area (your sack)
4) there are 2 shots and you really don't feel it ... there is no pain, but if you can imagine holding a 2 year old in your lap, and as they move their feet... you get lightly tapped in the junk, you "feel it", but it doesn't hurt... that's pretty much the experience
5) after about 2 minutes, you're numb and the doctor begins the procedure which involves a cut about the size of your pinky nail and then the snipping begins
6) after he makes the snips, he'll clamp it with the li'l staples or whatever process he uses...
7) then he closes it up, puts a gauze pad on you

Now, while you feel zero pain, you're afraid to walk... you put on your tight shorts (some have said they wore a jock strap)... pull up your loose pants and someone drives you home.

I didn't need any meds, but you need to do as instructed and rotate ice off and on your crotch every 30 minutes for 12 hours. Personally, I used frozen bags of corn and mixed veggies, it was much more flexible.

I had the procedure done at 10am on a Friday... and from 11am through midnight, I froze my balls every 30 minutes. It's really not as bad as it sounds, I had no pain and I stayed on the couch all freaking day as I was told.

Saturday morning, I still took it easy... stay away from stairs, lifting anything... you don't shower for the first day because of the stitches. No pain.

Sunday, moving a bit more normal... no pain, still walked funny just because your natural instinct is to take it easy because someone just sliced a hole in your sack. But, I could drive, etc with no issues.

After about 4 days... you're free to do what you want for the most part, just don't go over board with lifting things. And, you have to lay off having sex for 4-7 days...

Apparently, you can store reproductive juices for weeks, which is why even after the surgery, they want you to wear protection for 7-12 days... and they like you to have two tests (jerk in a cup and get it tested) that show it worked.

All in all, no big deal... it's been 3 months, I didn't have any complications, there is no scar, everything works and I don't have to worry about having kid #4.

Any questions?

Mile High Mania
06-23-2009, 10:36 AM
If you're single... and 100% sure you will never want children, then go for it. But, if there is any chance that one day... maybe you want a child, don't do this at all.

I wouldn't go jumping into this without doing a little soul searching.

Lzen
06-23-2009, 10:36 AM
I really don't understand all the guys that say they were fine after a couple days. Hell, I was asking the doc for more pain meds after a week. But it was alright about about 10 or so days.

Mile High Mania
06-23-2009, 10:40 AM
I really don't understand all the guys that say they were fine after a couple days. Hell, I was asking the doc for more pain meds after a week. But it was alright about about 10 or so days.

Guess it depends on the doctor and what you did the 24-36 hours after the procedure.

I think I know of 8 friends/co-workers that have had this done and nobody had an issue... only 1 needed meds and it was just for the first day.

Did you stay off your feet and ice your sack as instructed? My understanding is that is KEY.

CoMoChief
06-23-2009, 10:50 AM
have fun while the Dr squeezes the life out of your nuts.

Pitt Gorilla
06-23-2009, 10:57 AM
Pros- There are no pros.

Cons- You no longer are a real man.

Lzen
06-23-2009, 10:58 AM
Did you stay off your feet and ice your sack as instructed? My understanding is that is KEY.

Yes. Yes, I did. I used the bags of frozen veggies.

Maybe I am more sensitive to the pain. I had surgery for a umbilical hernia several years ago. I had to stop them twice to shoot in anesthetic because I could feel them cutting.

Back to the vasectomy part. The needle in the sack hurts, too.

MOhillbilly
06-23-2009, 10:59 AM
i heard they cut your balls off and replace em ping-pong balls. The balls you lost are then sent to the shedevils of womans lib to be crushed in vices. welcome to the NWO.

Amnorix
06-23-2009, 11:00 AM

Not a 100% success rate, however, and what's worse than having your balls operated on once....

...having them operated on twice.

Amnorix
06-23-2009, 11:01 AM
Painful (so I've been told) and not 100% effective.

Yes, but not insufferable pain. I've had worse.

And it's not 100% effective, but it's darn close.

Reerun_KC
06-23-2009, 11:03 AM
I had it done 12 years ago, easiest thing ever, didnt hurt at all. Did it on friday, back to work on monday...

Life has been great since...

Mile High Mania
06-23-2009, 11:08 AM
Yes. Yes, I did. I used the bags of frozen veggies.

Maybe I am more sensitive to the pain. I had surgery for a umbilical hernia several years ago. I had to stop them twice to shoot in anesthetic because I could feel them cutting.

Back to the vasectomy part. The needle in the sack hurts, too.

Hate to hear about the pain... the needle didn't hurt, like I said, I could feel it, but it was more of a slightly uncomfortable pinch than anything else.

I put the idea of doing this off for a year or so... finally said, there's really no downside.

Blindside58
06-23-2009, 11:18 AM
The initial cold Iodine swab to the balls wa the most uncomfortable. The needle stung for about 2 seconds. and the surgery felt more like butterflies in my lower stomach than any pain down below. I did sit down too fast about a week after my surgery and it felt like I got kicked in the gnads. But it has been a couple of years with almost no pain and no drop in..."Load material"...

crazycoffey
06-23-2009, 11:21 AM
Even though you swear you'll never want kids, do go for the "freeze a few guys" option. Just in case you meet someone and things change, you'll not have to get operated on down there again, least not for the sake of children/no children.

Groves
06-23-2009, 11:28 AM
Pro: No more condoms

Con: No more kids

Frosty
06-23-2009, 11:28 AM
It wasn't a big deal. One shot didn't hurt at all and the other was painful, but not for very long. Afterwards, it was mostly a great excuse to do nothing but sit on the couch and watch TV (wait for football season).

"Real men" aren't afraid of a little procedure like this and they don't make their wives go through a much more invasive procedure instead. :shake:

mlyonsd
06-23-2009, 11:29 AM
My wife had been after me to have it done for a couple of years so one Christmas I decided to surprise her. I arranged it with the Doc and my buddy drove me there on the Friday before Xmas (which was Monday)

All went fine, they gave me some kind of pill that made me not know what day it was. My buddy drove me home and I did one of those John Wayne walks into the house and handed my wife a Christmas card telling her what the real present was.

Didn't really get the reaction I had hoped.....she was madder than a hornet for me not telling her. No good deed goes unpunished.

Anyway, I spent the next day working around the house getting ready for Xmas since all the family was coming to our house. It was ok, I was just swollen and a little uncomfortable. My wife kept a suspicious eye on me all the time so I never let on when I had any discomfort. After a couple of days I was fine.

Until on Tuesday when I thought it was a good idea to go out in the fresh snow on the ATV. When I bottomed out hopping a ditch it felt like my the entire set of parts I had once called my 'package' all of a sudden had become a gasoline filled platic Wal-Mart sack just lit off with a flare.

Within a day the 'package' was the color of a hockey puck.

So my advice is:

1) Don't surprise your wife.
2) Have the pill that puts you into la la land.
3) Do what they tell you when it comes to recovery.

After a few test runs I was deemed 'clean' and the *** has been awesome since.

Mile High Mania
06-23-2009, 11:33 AM
the surgery felt more like butterflies in my lower stomach than any pain down below.

Perfect description... no pain, just a funny feeling.

Frosty
06-23-2009, 11:34 AM
Oh, and be sure to wait the required number of days before having sex again.

Talk about "pleasure and pain"....

Mile High Mania
06-23-2009, 11:35 AM
"Real men" aren't afraid of a little procedure like this and they don't make their wives go through a much more invasive procedure instead. :shake:

Yeah, if you're married and it comes down to your or your wife having something done... the man has a much easier path to take. Plus, your wife has already done the child bearing part, why not take a few days and some really minor discomfort and have the procedure?

kc rush
06-23-2009, 11:55 AM
For me the operation wasn't too bad, I felt mostly pressure as the doc did his thing. I was bruised and sore for about two weeks after though.

kc rush
06-23-2009, 11:57 AM
Yeah, if you're married and it comes down to your or your wife having something done... the man has a much easier path to take. Plus, your wife has already done the child bearing part, why not take a few days and some really minor discomfort and have the procedure?

We decided that if my wife needed a C section for our youngest, we'd have the docs take care of things since they were in there anyway. Since we didn't need to go that route, it was easier for me to have the procedure.

crazycoffey
06-23-2009, 12:16 PM
We decided that if my wife needed a C section for our youngest, we'd have the docs take care of things since they were in there anyway. Since we didn't need to go that route, it was easier for me to have the procedure.

It's really better for the man anyway, the woman's hormones change after her tubes are tied. Talking, more than usual on the one week a month mood swings, etc, plus increase hair growth on the face and chest. Be glad you did it, my man.....

tooge
06-23-2009, 12:18 PM
I would like to get one too. I am waiting until I need a new Liver, then I can get it all done at once.

wutamess
06-23-2009, 12:25 PM
Here's my ordeal...
(http://www.rapiddebtloss.com/blog/2009/04/29/vasectomies-tube-tieings-and-historectomies-are-on-the-rise/)

angelo
06-23-2009, 01:42 PM
Here's my ordeal...
(http://www.rapiddebtloss.com/blog/2009/04/29/vasectomies-tube-tieings-and-historectomies-are-on-the-rise/)

I will avoid him like my mother in law.

Ang

bevischief
06-23-2009, 02:13 PM
Co-worker at work has had it done 3 times now.

Lzen
06-23-2009, 02:27 PM
i heard they cut your balls off and replace em ping-pong balls. The balls you lost are then sent to the shedevils of womans lib to be crushed in vices. welcome to the NWO.

It's a vasectomy. He's not getting neutered. Sheesh. :shake:

Lzen
06-23-2009, 02:30 PM
Hate to hear about the pain... the needle didn't hurt, like I said, I could feel it, but it was more of a slightly uncomfortable pinch than anything else.

I put the idea of doing this off for a year or so... finally said, there's really no downside.

When I found out how much more could go wrong for the wife if she got a tubilig...tube......eh get her tubes tied, I decided this would be much easier and less prone to complications.

Lzen
06-23-2009, 02:31 PM
...and no drop in..."Load material"...

Actually, there is about a 10% drop. 90% of what comes out is semen and 10% is sperm.

Mile High Mania
06-23-2009, 02:59 PM
Co-worker at work has had it done 3 times now.

:spock: I'm guessing he should try a different doctor...

When I found out how much more could go wrong for the wife if she got a tubilig...tube......eh get her tubes tied, I decided this would be much easier and less prone to complications.

There's no doubt about it... any guy that says "Uh, no way... leave my balls alone, you're getting your tubes tied" is a freaking moron.