PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Gretz: Haley’s Offensive Philosophy … Wednesday Cup O’Chiefs

Coogs
06-24-2009, 07:41 AM
Haley’s Offensive Philosophy … Wednesday Cup O’Chiefs
June 24, 2009 - Bob Gretz |

The play was called Fake Toss 339 Taxi Pass X-Pylon.

How it came to be created, implemented and called tells us something about Todd Haley, his approach to offense and how he hopes the Chiefs will go about moving the football in the upcoming 2009 season.
But before we find out about the play call mentioned above, we must touch on the basics with the Chiefs new head coach for his offensive philosophy and those who have influenced his approach.

“It sounds like coaching jargon, but my offensive philosophy is to utilize the players that we have to the best of their ability,” Haley said. “That’s the way I’ve been taught; whatever gives us the best chance to win.

“If that is three yards and a cloud of dust, we don’t turn the football over and we play great defense, I’ll be the happiest guy after games.”

Last year, when he was creating game plans and calling plays as the offensive coordinator of the Arizona Cardinals, the best chance to win was throwing the football. With Kurt Warner behind center and receivers like Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin, it didn’t make much sense to do anything else.

That the Cardinals finished last in the NFL in rushing yards per game (73.6 yards) had nothing to do with scheme or preference, and everything to do with not having the tools necessary to be a good running team.

“That’s a great example of what I’m talking about,” Haley said. “We were not able to run the ball real efficiently. There were a number of reasons for that. We had a big problem at tight end with injuries. At the end of the year we picked up a tight end off the street in Steve Spach and once we had him, we started to run the ball more effectively.

“We could have said, hey we are going to run it and we don’t care about the results. We obviously showed pretty quick that we could move the ball through the air, so we tried to play to our strengths.”
That basic lesson is something he learned as part of Bill Parcells staff with the New York Jets and Dallas Cowboys. “He had a great impact on me philosophically,” Haley said. “Dan Henning had a big influence on me. He’s a great offensive coach. He understood all positions and was an excellent teacher.

“Then there’s Charlie Weis; I shared an office with him for three years (in New York) and I got to learn a lot from him. Even Ron Erhardt to some extent; he was there in New York in those early years and kind of took me under his wing.”

The goal is offensive balance. But the talent is used in whatever manner produces victories.

“Yes, balance is the goal, but again, we proved last year that it doesn’t have to be to have success,” Haley said of the Cardinals, who finished the year as the No. 2 passing offense in the NFL, averaging 292.1 yards per game “I’m trying not to pigeonhole exactly what we will be.”

What the Chiefs will be offensively in 2009 will probably not be apparent until the end of the pre-season, after Haley and his offensive coaching staff led by coordinator Chan Gailey get a chance to see the available talent up close and personal. Gailey is joined on the offensive side by assistant head coach Maurice Carthon (running backs), wide receivers coach Dedric Ward, tight end coach Bob Bicknell, offensive line coaches Bill Muir and Joe D’Alessandris and quality control coach Matt Sirianni.

The battle at quarterback will be between Matt Cassel and Tyler Thigpen. The edge will likely go to Cassel with his 15 starts last year in New England. Given his first chance to start and play regularly since high school, Cassel completed 63.4 percent of his 516 passes, with 21 TD throws and 11 interceptions. He finished the year with a passer rating of 89.4.

There’s a good chance Thigpen will also see the field. His mobility is one area where he has the edge on Cassel. If pass protection becomes a problem, Thigpen could get his shot.

As for the rest of the offense, it remains in limbo. The best weapon the team has is probably RB Larry Johnson if — that’s always a word used with L.J. — if he remains in shape, motivated and free of trouble. If the Chiefs can move the ball on the ground they will gravitate there in the play calling because the options in the passing game are slim when it comes to playmakers.

Haley wants to be able to do everything with his offense, run and throw. As he said he won’t pigeon hole the scheme or emphasis when the Chiefs have the football. He wants to be able to adjust on the run, and we don’t mean the running game. That’s one reason Gailey is still the offensive coordinator, because of his ability to shift gears last year with Thigpen at quarterback after Brodie Croyle and Damon Huard were injured and lost for the season.

This brings us back to Fake Toss 339 Taxi Pass X-Pylon. As the Cardinals were flying to Charlotte to play the Carolina Panthers in the second-round of the NFC playoffs, Haley was watching tape. “I would really enjoy those long flights back East for games because most flights out of Phoenix were three, four, five hours and there was a lot of time to just look at tape,” Haley said. “I was looking at some cutups and tape that I used to prepare the call sheet.

“Everything was done; our call sheet for the game was finished.”

But Haley saw something on the tape … it was the tendency of Carolina’s left corner in how he reacted to certain plays. Haley thought the Cardinals could take advantage of that, so he drew up the play at his seat and then walked it around the plane to all the key people involved, coaches and players.

“We had a walkthrough that day when we landed and we went over the play,” Haley said. “But we didn’t practice it.”

That didn’t keep Haley from calling the play in the first quarter, with Arizona down by a touchdown and the offense looking at a 3rd-and-1 play at their 49-yard line. The play worked perfectly, as Warner and Fitzgerald combined for a 41-yard gain that set up Arizona’s tying touchdown. They never trailed after that score.

“Now, it went against the philosophy of what you are supposed to do,” Haley said. “But occasionally things come up and you’ve got to be able to adjust on the fly.”

Expect the Chiefs to do a lot of adjusting on the fly during the 2009 season.

Coming Thursday: Haley’s defensive philosophy.

Hammock Parties
06-24-2009, 07:52 AM
The anti-Herm.

milkman
06-24-2009, 08:14 AM
The anti-Herm.

If Haley did something like that under Herman ****ing Edwards, he'd probably be shown the door with a pink slip that read:

"This ain't Arena League".

talastan
06-24-2009, 08:36 AM
Haley: (Watching game footage) RRPP, Pistol? WTF is this ****! Get me Herm on the phone!!

Herm: (Picks up phone.) Espn magazine customer service. This is Herm Edwards how may I help...

Haley: (Interrupting and gesturing to the game film) 22 players b****!!! Don't you even know what a ****ing third and short is?

Herm: Umm...Punt?!

Haley: No Third and one, third and two? Hell you do know you can throw on first down don't you?

Herm: Ummm, well at the end of the day we realized that we needed to get balance. You need the run to set up the pass and ....

Haley: You know what Herm, I'm going to hire you back just so I can fire your ass once again. The Don Pioli says if he sees you around Arrowhead you'll be sleeping with the fishes. You better pass that along to your goon Carl as well. Goodbye.

Espn Call Center Supervisior: Well Herm did you get the sale?

Herm: Uh no sir, but its going to be okayyy!

Supervisior: Uh Herm, you're fired.

Fat Elvis
06-24-2009, 09:42 AM
Isn't this just a repeat of some other article?

I remember reading about that play when we were thinking about hiring Haley.

Gretz is a hack.

Fat Elvis
06-24-2009, 09:43 AM
http://articles.latimes.com/2009/jan/14/sports/sp-nfl-cardinals14

Fat Elvis
06-24-2009, 09:46 AM
Plagiarism is generally frowned upon, isn't it?

Dylan
06-24-2009, 11:18 AM
Maurice Carthon Assistant Head Coach
16th Year NFL Coach • 1st with Chiefs

Carthon has been a member of four Super Bowl squads as either a player or a coach, including wins in Super Bowls XXI and XXV as a member of the N.Y. Giants. In his 26 previous seasons in pro football, Carthon has either blocked for or coached running backs who enjoyed a 1,000-yard season on 17 different occasions.

Nice...

orange
06-24-2009, 11:34 AM
Isn't this just a repeat of some other article?

I remember reading about that play when we were thinking about hiring Haley.

Gretz is a hack.

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/jan/14/sports/sp-nfl-cardinals14

Not necessarily plagiarism. He asked Haley for a story and Haley told one he's told before.

"65 Toss Power Trap" has been written about hundreds of times.

http://img238.imageshack.us/img238/831/65tosspowertrapzr4.jpg

Guess where I found that.

MMXcalibur
06-24-2009, 12:27 PM
I don't give a shit if the Chiefs run fake punts every damn down. Whatever gets the W's.

chiefbowe82
06-24-2009, 03:56 PM
“We could have said, hey we are going to run it and we don’t care about the results. We obviously showed pretty quick that we could move the ball through the air, so we tried to play to our strengths.”

Hes got a little anti-herm in him

DaneMcCloud
06-24-2009, 04:04 PM
Maurice Carthon Assistant Head Coach
16th Year NFL Coach • 1st with Chiefs

Carthon has been a member of four Super Bowl squads as either a player or a coach, including wins in Super Bowls XXI and XXV as a member of the N.Y. Giants. In his 26 previous seasons in pro football, Carthon has either blocked for or coached running backs who enjoyed a 1,000-yard season on 17 different occasions.

Nice...

He sucks as an offensive coordinator and play-caller.

Just ask the Detroit Lions or Cleveland Browns.

I hope the guy gets no where Chan Gailey, let alone, is allowed to call a game.

Manila-Chief
06-24-2009, 05:33 PM
The anti-Herm.

Yes!!!

I like what I've read about him and the offense. Besides being a bad coach, Herm's philosophy on offense doomed the team. He lied to us when he arrived ... saying he was going to keep the O in tact. Some will bring up the fact we lost our LT, etc. ... yes, but, a change of philosophy was instrumental.

I like Haley's saying he will mold his O to the personnel. That's winning football. Yes, a coach will have his own basic offense but he should be willing to adapt. I'm encouraged by reading this.

Yes!!! It's okay to quote articles, but one should document it and not write as if it is his own ideas. As I read this, I thought I'm beginning to like the new Bob. He is no longer just being a homer or defending the Chiefs ... writing informative articles. Now, I learn it wasn't his material!!!

I don't give a shit if the Chiefs run fake punts every damn down. Whatever gets the W's.

Me too!!! I don't like 3 yards and a cloud of dust ... but, if we win ... I'll celebrate!!!!

TEX
06-24-2009, 07:41 PM

Seriously, that's still years down the road because we wasted the past 3 years. We're finally rebuilding the right way.

BarrySPAMAID
06-24-2009, 09:50 PM
Well, It looks like Todd Haley will be the exact opposite of Herman Edwards. I am stoked. This is what this team needs, and I think they have a small el camino full of wide receivers to bring to camp, and get a good showing from. I expect someone to rise up, and take somebody's job. We'll see who it is.

One thing is for certain, this team is going to be doing alot of 2 a days come August More than many of them have ever done. I'm telling ya, this team is going to be a hell of alot better in 2009.

Were gonna win.

Rain Man
06-24-2009, 10:23 PM
I may be season tickets just to show my support, even if I'm 500 miles away.