PDA

View Full Version : Science Asteroid Names

Rain Man
06-24-2009, 11:52 AM
Because this is stuff that every American needs to know.

http://www.cfa.harvard.edu/iau/lists/MPNames.html#A

Donger
06-24-2009, 11:54 AM
You know what really bothers me? People who don't know the difference between an asteroid, a meteor and a meteorite.

Fat Elvis
06-24-2009, 11:58 AM
They need an asteroid named, "Pew Pew Pew" after that sound that you heard in the Asteroids game.

Fat Elvis
06-24-2009, 11:59 AM
You know what really bothers me? Screw heads on light switches that aren't perfectly straight up and down.

FYP

Brock
06-24-2009, 12:00 PM
You know what really bothers me? People who don't know the difference between an asteroid, a meteor and a meteorite.

That's important information for the average person.

Donger
06-24-2009, 12:01 PM
That's important information for the average person.

Exactly.

Brock
06-24-2009, 12:01 PM
I have a pointy head.

I know.

stumppy
06-24-2009, 12:03 PM
Cool, they named of after me. ........Well, my last name.

bevischief
06-24-2009, 06:22 PM
Like Uranus or Klingon?

WoodDraw
06-24-2009, 07:31 PM
I'm pretty sure that a good part of those were named after the cat jumping on the keyboard.

Jeeze. I understand they're minor in that no one really gives a shit about them, but couldn't they put in a little more effort than naming them after themselves?

stumppy
06-24-2009, 07:37 PM
Like Uranus or Klingon?

Somebody rattle your chain or did you just step on it ?

FAX
06-24-2009, 08:14 PM
Jim The Lonely Asteroid.

There once was an asteroid named Jim. Jim was a big chunk of metallic ore and ice and he flew all over the solar system in a big circle for a long, long time. Jim had no memory of where he came from, boys and girls. He couldn't remember his parents or his uncles or where he went to school. Frankly, boys and girls, life for Jim was very boring.

Well, one day, while Jim was flying around through the solar system, it occurred to him that he had spent his entire life alone and he began to feel very, very lonely. These lonely thoughts began to make Jim very upset.

The more Jim thought about how lonely he was, the more upset he became. And the more upset Jim became, the more he thought about how lonely he was. Well, it wasn't long before Jim began having strange fantasies and he began to believe that the other space debris was talking to him. At first Jim didn't want to listen to what the space debris was saying, but Jim couldn't help himself. Jim thought that the space debris was telling him that he had every right to be very, very angry and that made a lot of sense to Jim. Then, Jim thought that the space debris was telling him that all the other asteroids were out to get him and that made a lot of sense to Jim, too. Then, it wasn't very much longer long before Jim started talking back and the space debris was telling Jim to kill, kill, kill. Yes, boys and girls, Jim had gone insane.

Well, one day Jim flew past Jupiter and then he flew past Mars and then he came near to the Earth. He looked down and saw that the Earth was full of boys and girls and people who had friends and family and swim teams and social clubs like the Elks. Jim started to get very jealous of the Earth people because he was lonely and they weren't. So Jim decided the space debris had been right all along and Jim needed to crash into the Earth and destroy the planet and all the people. So Jim flew right down through the Earth's atmosphere in a blazing glob of fiery rage and smack dab onto South America. Boom went Jim. And boom went the Earth. And boom went all the people.

The End.

FAX

Rain Man
06-24-2009, 08:54 PM
I'm pretty sure that a good part of those were named after the cat jumping on the keyboard.

Jeeze. I understand they're minor in that no one really gives a shit about them, but couldn't they put in a little more effort than naming them after themselves?

I'd definitely name it after myself. Can you imagine how cool it would be if the earth or the moon was destroyed by an asteroid with your name?

RealSNR
06-24-2009, 08:54 PM
They have asteroids named Beegees and Beethoven. I didn't know those guys were astronomers