PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Arrowhead renovations

chiefbowe82
06-24-2009, 12:07 PM
I haven't really kept up on the renovations at arrowhead. How much is suppose to be completed for the start of this season? What new ammenities can we expect?

tomahawk kid
06-24-2009, 12:12 PM
I've been out there multiple times for Royals games and Arrowhead still looks fairly torn up.

I think its still technically going to be "under construction" during the season in 2009.

CoMoChief
06-24-2009, 12:13 PM
I think the design looked retarded, and going to Royals gams and looking over at Arrowhead, the renovations will be retarded, though its still in construction in the early parts of it. It won't be Soldier Field spaceship retarded, but close to it. Dallas gets a brand new stadium, most teams around the NFL get new stadiums........meanwhile Jackson County half asses it and it's going to look down right awful IMO

I'm all for renovating the place for better concourses and restrooms and infastructure, etc. But stupid shit like the horizon level. Who in their right mind is going to want to pay out the ass for one of those seats, only to be half way to the moon, and it takes a NASA telescope to watch the game, that is if you dont watch it on the TV's in the concourse area up there.

RickObie
06-24-2009, 12:14 PM
I've been out there multiple times for Royals games and Arrowhead still looks fairly torn up.

I think its still technically going to be "under construction" during the season in 2009.

....much like the Chiefs!!

chiefbowe82
06-24-2009, 12:18 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/arrowheadcam/

tomahawk kid
06-24-2009, 12:20 PM
I think the design looked retarded, and going to Royals gams and looking over at Arrowhead, the renovations will be retarded, though its still in construction in the early parts of it. It won't be Soldier Field spaceship retarded, but close to it. Dallas gets a brand new stadium, most teams around the NFL get new stadiums........meanwhile Jackson County half asses it and it's going to look down right awful IMO

I'm all for renovating the place for better concourses and restrooms and infastructure, etc. But stupid shit like the horizon level. Who in their right mind is going to want to pay out the ass for one of those seats, only to be half way to the moon, and it takes a NASA telescope to watch the game, that is if you dont watch it on the TV's in the concourse area up there.

I think the overall design looks fine - but I can't say I disagree with those horizon level areas.

bowener
06-24-2009, 02:09 PM

I have to disagree with you. I used to think that it may look retarded, and while it still may look retarded to some, I think it is quite an ingenious design. Granted it may be over the casual-observer, football-fans head on first glance or what not, but think of it from the perspective of the original designer's of Arrowhead, or at least the era in which Arrowhead was designed. From the history section of the Chiefs website (http://www.kcchiefs.com/arrowhead) we can see that at its inception it was seen as ultramodern, or perhaps a step beyond:

At the time of its dedication in ‘72, the legendary founder of the Chicago Bears, George Halas called Arrowhead, “the most revolutionary, futuristic, sports complex I have ever seen.So, through the eyes of the era we can see that it was heralded as modern and/or futuristic. It took me a while to think through the overall exterior design, and I am certain I am probably wrong, but in my opinion it is a modern take on the 60-70's perspective of the "future" of design, or what the "world of tomorrow" would look like.

For example and imaginative aid, think back to all the Popular Mechanics that showed pictures of what was to become:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_sGYULzoQCgA/Rnno9mYnxAI/AAAAAAAAAxg/1q0JZ36nwl4/s400/1957%2BMonsanto%2BHouse%2Bpaleo%2Bfuture.jpg

The 50-70's seemed to love clean straight lines, but loved rounding the edges to give it a more "futuristic" appearance. This is the Monsanto house (http://www.yesterland.com/futurehouse.html) or the house of the future, found at disneyland.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_3jV5FcVqpE8/SQPtysg9rbI/AAAAAAAAENo/VkkbwCAHC_Q/s400/DL+Holiday+Fall+1957_1.jpg

In color we can see the same stark white that has become the standard for retro-modern designs, same as the stark white skin of the Arrowhead addition.

http://www.craphound.com/images/magichighwayusa.jpg

This picture is just being used as an example to show how the past's view of future design typically did away with rigid designs of the past and strode for a more organic and rounded appearance. Again, it is done in stark white.

http://portfolio.populous.com/images/projects/arrowhead/main_1.jpg

I am unable thus far to find a head-on view of the addition from the field, but we can see that its rounded or tapered on the ends rather than rigid straight lines. Again, it is just my opinion, but it seems to me the architects were trying to pay homage to the past designer's era and view, while trying to modernize a stadium. If you look at it in that light the renovations make a lot more sense, and the old and new have a much better cohesive unity that attempts to bridge four decades of design and innovation as well as tries to avoid the dreaded "spaceship" appearance that haunts Soldier Field (I think we can all agree that is a failed attempt to modernize and mesh the old with the new). A lot of you have probably already realized this, but I hadn't given much thought to the design until last month, which is when I formed this opinion (which is probably wrong). Just my $.02!

HypnotizedMonkey
06-24-2009, 02:22 PM
I want the fucking rolling roof. *shits self*

CHASE
06-24-2009, 02:24 PM
They need to put the horizon level on BOTH sides of arrowhead and replace the lower level seats with some red ones.

bowener
06-24-2009, 02:25 PM
I want the ****ing rolling roof. *shits self*

Next Christmas, Monkey, next Christmas.

-King-
06-24-2009, 02:26 PM
Are they going to change the scoreboard at Arrowhead too? Seeing as how awesome the one at Kauffman is, that would be great while watching a chiefs game.

InChiefsHeaven
06-24-2009, 02:29 PM
I thought that the big reason they didn't want to scrap Arrowhead and build a totally new stadium was because the bowl is designed in such a way that crowd noise is focused onto the field like no other stadium, and that the design of the bowl is not up to new construction code, so they couldn't replicate the Arrowhead noise factor, which is known throughout the NFL as one of the best in the league. SO rather than trash Arrowhead, they went for the re-vamp. I for one don't mind the horizon level, it's only a little higher than the nosebleed seats I always wind up with anyway, and it's covered, and they will have a lounge open to all fans there as well. Kinda cool.

InChiefsHeaven
06-24-2009, 02:31 PM
Are they going to change the scoreboard at Arrowhead too? Seeing as how awesome the one at Kauffman is, that would be great while watching a chiefs game.

Yep. NEw score boards, and an electronic "ribbon board" going around the ring of fame. Check out the plans at kcchiefs.com...

-King-
06-24-2009, 02:42 PM
Yep. NEw score boards, and an electronic "ribbon board" going around the ring of fame. Check out the plans at kcchiefs.com...

Thanks. Is it supposed to be up by this season or next?

CoMoChief
06-24-2009, 02:48 PM
I thought that the big reason they didn't want to scrap Arrowhead and build a totally new stadium was because the bowl is designed in such a way that crowd noise is focused onto the field like no other stadium, and that the design of the bowl is not up to new construction code, so they couldn't replicate the Arrowhead noise factor, which is known throughout the NFL as one of the best in the league. SO rather than trash Arrowhead, they went for the re-vamp. I for one don't mind the horizon level, it's only a little higher than the nosebleed seats I always wind up with anyway, and it's covered, and they will have a lounge open to all fans there as well. Kinda cool.

WTF is new construction code? You mean to tell me they're not allowed to build that model anymore? I dont buy that at all.

tomahawk kid
06-24-2009, 02:50 PM
WTF is new construction code? You mean to tell me they're not allowed to build that model anymore? I dont buy that at all.

The arguement at the time, was that you couldn't replicate the stadium design due to modern day handicapped accessibility issues and other contruction codes.

DaFace
06-24-2009, 02:51 PM

I know for a fact I've read that in the past. They couldn't build the "old" Arrowhead exactly the same today due to changes in building codes.

Sandyskc
06-24-2009, 06:14 PM
The new scoreboards will be up this year

InChiefsHeaven
06-25-2009, 07:24 AM

Look it up dude. You may not want to buy it, but it is what was said at least.

Dr. Johnny Fever
06-25-2009, 08:33 AM
I thinks it'll be awesome. Both Stadiums were ass ugly on the outside before, especially Arrowhead with twice as much exposed poured concrete as Kauffman... hiding some of that alone will be a big improvement imo. And I'd love to see a game from the moon with the shelter overhead and the lounge there.