PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Yahoo Sports: Cavs land Shaq for Wallace, Pavlovic

Tribal Warfare
06-25-2009, 12:43 AM
Cavs land Shaq for Wallace, Pavlovic
(http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-shaq062409&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)
By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports and Johnny Ludden 2 hours, 38 minutes ago

The Cleveland Cavaliers have reached an agreement in principle to acquire Phoenix Suns center Shaquille O’Neal(notes), multiple sources involved in the talks told Yahoo! Sports late Thursday night.

Cleveland will send Ben Wallace(notes), Sasha Pavlovic(notes), the 46th pick in Thursday’s draft and cash to the Suns for O’Neal.

Cleveland and Phoenix were both juggling multiple trade possibilities with other teams, with the Cavs involved with as many as six trade scenarios.

Yet the disappointing Eastern Conference finals loss to the Orlando Magic left Cavs GM Danny Ferry with incredible pressure to accumulate talent around James in the final season prior to his 2010 free agency. James has blessed the O’Neal trade, especially because it should give his overmatched frontline a chance to compete with Dwight Howard in the playoffs. Ferry and Phoenix GM Steve Kerr are close friends and had talked off and on about a Shaq deal since the February trade deadline.

O’Neal, 37, makes $21 million next season, and the Suns were determined to move him in a package that would save them money. Wallace made $14 million and could take a buyout to retire, and only $1.5 million of Pavlovic’s $4.9 million salary is guaranteed.

pr_capone
06-25-2009, 12:45 AM
Shaq stopped being relevant in the NBA a few years ago.

That said, the Big Aristotle can help the Cavs win a championship if he stays healthy.

Basileus777
06-25-2009, 01:05 AM
People said Shaq was done last year.

Then he came back and averaged 18/8 on 61% shooting with 1.4bpg in 30 mins.

Shaq isn't what he used to be, but he's still a legit post scorer.

I don't know why Phoenix made this trade. Is Sasha Pavlovic, a bad draft pick, and some cash really worth the difference between Shaq and Wallace considering both are on expiring contracts?

-King-
06-25-2009, 01:08 AM
Well, thats the end of Lebron getting a lane to drive in. Shaq takes up the whole key.

Miles
06-25-2009, 01:09 AM
Wow. The Cavs essentially picked Shaq up for Wallace's expiring/possibly bought out contract and a bench guy.

Basileus777
06-25-2009, 01:11 AM
Well, thats the end of Lebron getting a lane to drive in. Shaq takes up the whole key.

It's only a problem if they play Varejao at PF next to him. The Cavs need to sign and trade Varejao or let him go elsewhere and get a 4 that can shoot, someone like Mcdyess or Sheed.

Cleveland just got a player at the C position that changes a team's entire defensive dynamic, and all it cost them was Ben Wallace and Sasha Pavlovic. They just threw out two virtual nobodies for a heck of a center. For all Shaq's weaknesses, he's still an intimidator in the paint, a strong rebounder, and a mega efficient post presence. Shaq's excellent ability to pass out of the post alone is a significant upgrade. And since neither Shaq nor Big Z can play big minutes, you can have a nice rotation with the two of them.

Miles
06-25-2009, 01:15 AM

Yep. He is old but still seems to have enough left for one last run. He was definitly among the top C's last season. Hell after Howard and Yao he is probably still the 3rd best at his position going into next year.

Also has the added bonus for the Cavs of having two of the most likable personalities in the league on their team.

Ebolapox
06-25-2009, 01:18 AM
I can't wait for the 'lebron, tell me how my ass taste!' youtube video.

kcxiv
06-25-2009, 01:23 AM
All Shaq has to do is give the Cavs 25 quality minutes and they will make the finals.

Lakers/Cavs man o man the hype and the ratings. Bring it.

Miles
06-25-2009, 01:37 AM
I can't wait for the 'lebron, tell me how my ass taste!' youtube video.

Shaq is too old for those conditions to repeat themselves.

Mecca
06-25-2009, 01:56 AM

I don't know why Phoenix made this trade. Is Sasha Pavlovic, a bad draft pick, and some cash really worth the difference between Shaq and Wallace considering both are on expiring contracts?

It has to do with money the Suns are kind of cheap.

Ebolapox
06-25-2009, 01:58 AM
Shaq is too old for those conditions to repeat themselves.

yeah, I know. it would be epic though.

kcxiv
06-25-2009, 02:02 AM
It has to do with money the Suns are kind of cheap.

Still have to pay the money to Wallace he's making 16 million, plus the 3-4 Sasha is owed.

Basileus777
06-25-2009, 02:03 AM
Still have to pay the money to Wallace he's making 16 million, plus the 3-4 Sasha is owed.

I think they are hoping Wallace will retire and they can buy him out. He's hinted that he might do it. They didn't save money from the actual deal as the contracts match-up and Shaq is an expiring. They also only got $500,000 in cash.

jAZ
06-25-2009, 02:20 AM
The Phoenix Suns' medical doctors have a remarkable way of taking players who can't seem to stay healthy for other teams and turning them into reliably healthy, productive players for the Suns.

I'd be willing to bet that Shaq doesn't continue to play as many minutes next season as he did for the Suns this year.

jAZ
06-25-2009, 02:22 AM
...the Suns are kind of cheap.
Yes, definately, so this is probably true...

It has to do with money...

kcxiv
06-25-2009, 02:28 AM
I think they are hoping Wallace will retire and they can buy him out. He's hinted that he might do it. They didn't save money from the actual deal as the contracts match-up and Shaq is an expiring. They also only got $500,000 in cash.

ya, i seen that after i posted that. If i was him though, i would just play the season out. Thats alot of money and he's at the end of his career. 16 million is alot of cheese to throw away for 1 nba season even if you are on the bench. I would just will through it. lol

Also, the Suns were losing money last year. So you can say cheap or whatever, but when ya lose money, you gotta make changes. lo.l

Mecca
06-25-2009, 03:10 AM
The Phoenix Suns' medical doctors have a remarkable way of taking players who can't seem to stay healthy for other teams and turning them into reliably healthy, productive players for the Suns.

I'd be willing to bet that Shaq doesn't continue to play as many minutes next season as he did for the Suns this year.

Well what is Amare's excuse?

Valiant
06-25-2009, 03:33 AM
Shaq stopped being relevant in the NBA a few years ago.

That said, the Big Aristotle can help the Cavs win a championship if he stays healthy.

It will never happen..

KCUnited
06-25-2009, 06:35 AM
But can Lebron win one without Snaq?

the Talking Can
06-25-2009, 06:46 AM
they still need guards that aren't midgets and someone besides LeBron who can shoot when it matters....

this makes them even slower...

Psyko Tek
06-25-2009, 06:53 AM
the suns are in luxury tax hell

amare has never had a coach
the suns just do there run and fun stuff no d no rebounding
and while like the vermiel years
it's fun to watch

it'll never win the big one

it's nash's team
when he's gone maybe they will learn to play basketball

dirk digler
06-25-2009, 06:59 AM
It's only a problem if they play Varejao at PF next to him. The Cavs need to sign and trade Varejao or let him go elsewhere and get a 4 that can shoot, someone like Mcdyess or Sheed.

Cleveland just got a player at the C position that changes a team's entire defensive dynamic, and all it cost them was Ben Wallace and Sasha Pavlovic. They just threw out two virtual nobodies for a heck of a center. For all Shaq's weaknesses, he's still an intimidator in the paint, a strong rebounder, and a mega efficient post presence. Shaq's excellent ability to pass out of the post alone is a significant upgrade. And since neither Shaq nor Big Z can play big minutes, you can have a nice rotation with the two of them.

Yep. This is a good deal or potentially great deal for the Cavs and definitely makes them a legit team to get to the Finals.

From what I understand they are going to after Rasheed Wallace as well and that would make a pretty dominant inside game.

suds79
06-25-2009, 07:02 AM
I'm not so sure this helps keep Lebron in Cleveland. Shaq is probably good for one more year if that.

How does this help Cleveland in the long haul?

It'll be interesting to watch them play next year though.

I always thought Pavlovic had some game.

Sure-Oz
06-25-2009, 07:28 AM
Shaq can probably still play adequate defense and be a scoring threat, something wallace wasn't an offensive option

Cleveland is def. going to go for it all next year

PunkinDrublic
06-25-2009, 07:37 AM
In a lesser known trade, the spurs were able to rape the bucks and managed to get rid of an aging Bruce Bowen and one other player I can't remember. A few people are saying the trade upgrades the spurs and puts them in the finals. I hope not I hate the spurs.

Sure-Oz
06-25-2009, 07:46 AM
So who was involved in the trade?

chiefzilla1501
06-25-2009, 08:36 AM
Yep. This is a good deal or potentially great deal for the Cavs and definitely makes them a legit team to get to the Finals.

From what I understand they are going to after Rasheed Wallace as well and that would make a pretty dominant inside game.

Yeah, that's what they badly needed. Varejo's a great guy to have on D, but he's mostly worthless on offense--his game is mostly hitting open jump shots. And Ilgauskus... geez, the guy is slow as shit.

What they really need is a sharp shooter. Doesn't have to score 15 points a game. Just a guy who can hit open shots like Paxson or Steve Kerr. Moe Williams should have been that guy but wasn't.

chiefzilla1501
06-25-2009, 08:37 AM
So who was involved in the trade?

Ben Wallace and Pavlovic. I'm sure nobody's upset that Wallace is gone. He's good but not great on defense at this stage of his career, and he might be the worst offensive player since Rodman.

Mr. Arrowhead
06-25-2009, 08:39 AM

it wouldnt be a shock if either of those player ever play for phoenix, Ben wallace will prolly retire and sasha could get released. The suns made this move to save 10.5 million dollars

BWillie
06-25-2009, 10:49 AM
It will never happen..

He played in 75 games last year.

Ebolapox
06-25-2009, 10:54 AM
honestly, I'd be shocked if the cavs don't go after chris bosh if he becomes available.

suds79
06-25-2009, 11:17 AM
honestly, I'd be shocked if the cavs don't go after chris bosh if he becomes available.

doesn't he become available the same time Lebron does? Hence the theory that NY would like to try to land them both?

Basileus777
06-25-2009, 11:36 AM

They don't have the assets to get him. Toronto isn't going to give him up for Delonte West or Mo Williams and expirings.

Micjones
06-25-2009, 11:40 AM
Great acquisition.
The Cavs can use Shaq's post presence.
He still gives you numbers night in and night out.

I'm sure Lebron is pleased.

shitgoose
06-25-2009, 11:51 AM
They don't have the assets to get him. Toronto isn't going to give him up for Delonte West or Mo Williams and expirings.

They don't have to give up anything if he is a free agent genius. All they have to have is cap space, which they will have seeing how Shaq is in the last year of his $21 mil per season deal.

Basileus777
06-25-2009, 12:06 PM
They don't have to give up anything if he is a free agent genius. All they have to have is cap space, which they will have seeing how Shaq is in the last year of his $21 mil per season deal.

I know that buddy. But I assumed from the words "if he became available" that he was referring to a trade, since it's an open secret that he won't be resigning with Toronto and will likely be traded this year.

Ultra Peanut
06-25-2009, 12:26 PM
http://j.photos.cx/shaq-c49.jpg

KCChiefsMan
06-25-2009, 01:27 PM
can't hurt, Ben Wallace was practically worthless for the Cavs last year.

Halfcan
06-25-2009, 02:56 PM
Shaq wants another ring and will show up very motivated. He would love to bitch slap Kobe.

Archie Bunker
06-25-2009, 02:57 PM
and Orlando responds....

Various sources are reporting that Vince Carter has been traded to the Orlando Magic for Rafer Alston, Tony Battie and Courtney Lee.

The Nets are expected to take SG Terrence Willams at No. 11, if he’s still available (which is who we have them taking in our mock draft). Once this deal becomes official, the Nets are going to have a ton of cap space next summer, while the Magic are going to look great with a starting five of Jameer Nelson, Carter, Hedo Turkoglu (if they re-sign him), Rashard Lewis and Dwight Howard. Jun. 25 - 4:32 pm et

www.rotoworld.com

chiefzilla1501
06-25-2009, 03:05 PM
doesn't he become available the same time Lebron does? Hence the theory that NY would like to try to land them both?

NY won't get Lebron. Lebron actually loves the city of Cleveland and the team. It surprised me too, because I would hate living there. People assume that all people are attracted to the bright lights. I guarantee that Lebron knows that it's better to be with a stable organization than to chase after a contract for a team that has no idea how to run a team.

L.A. Chieffan
06-25-2009, 03:09 PM
phoenix is really going down the shitter. i used to think kerr knew what he was doing.

if you're a suns fan just kill yourself

DrRyan
06-25-2009, 03:43 PM

Ben Wallace has been quoted as saying he may retire. He will "talk it over" with his family before making a decision on whether he will play next season.

Shaq does change a teams entire dynamic. Both offensive and defensive. You do realize that pick and roll defense is what cost the Cavs the series against Orlando. Trust me, the Cavs pick and roll D just got worse, much worse.

See above, entirely possible that Wallace does not play this season.

DrRyan
06-25-2009, 03:51 PM
phoenix is really going down the shitter. i used to think kerr knew what he was doing.

if you're a suns fan just kill yourself

The Suns are at the bottom of the barrel. This has been a long time coming here in AZ thanks to their drafting(or lack thereof) history.

The list of players who Phoenix has drafted then traded, players drafted from their picks and/or sold for cash:

2007 - Rudy Fernandez
2006 - Rajon Rondo
2005 - Nate Robinson
2004 - Luol Deng

Add on top of that the Suns brutal reach of a pick in Robin Lopez last season and you have a recipe for a bad team. Rondo is a top 5 PG in the NBA, Fernandez and Robinson are still getting better and Deng is a star in the making if he can stay healthy.

Basileus777
06-25-2009, 03:55 PM
Trust me, the Cavs pick and roll D just got worse, much worse.

Shaq's a terrible pick and roll defender, but that's not much of a change from the slow-footed Big Z.

L.A. Chieffan
06-25-2009, 03:56 PM
The Suns are at the bottom of the barrel. This has been a long time coming here in AZ thanks to their drafting(or lack thereof) history.

The list of players who Phoenix has drafted then traded, players drafted from their picks sold for cash:

2007 - Rudy Fernandez
2006 - Rajon Rondo
2005 - Nate Robinson
2004 - Luol Deng

Add on top of that the Suns brutal reach of a pick in Robin Lopez last season and you have a recipe for a bad team. Rondo is a top 5 PG in the NBA, Fernandez and Robinson are still getting better and Deng is a star in the making if he can stay healthy.

rumor is amare is about to roll and they might as well trade nash to the knicks now so they can get something for him

Ultra Peanut
06-25-2009, 04:38 PM
I hope the Grizz find a way to swipe Amar'e, if the Suns are in the giving mood.

chiefs1111
06-25-2009, 04:40 PM
I hope the Grizz find a way to swipe Amar'e, if the Suns are in the giving mood.

Rumor is he maybe going to Golden State

Basileus777
06-25-2009, 04:57 PM

What would be the point? Amare would never resign with Memphis.

RealSNR
06-25-2009, 05:23 PM
and Orlando responds....

Various sources are reporting that Vince Carter has been traded to the Orlando Magic for Rafer Alston, Tony Battie and Courtney Lee.

The Nets are expected to take SG Terrence Willams at No. 11, if he’s still available (which is who we have them taking in our mock draft). Once this deal becomes official, the Nets are going to have a ton of cap space next summer, while the Magic are going to look great with a starting five of Jameer Nelson, Carter, Hedo Turkoglu (if they re-sign him), Rashard Lewis and Dwight Howard. Jun. 25 - 4:32 pm et

www.rotoworld.comThe Magic just lost two starters for Carter. The Cavs gave up two backups that underachieved all season and showed up only for a few minutes in one or two playoff games. All for Shaq, who even at his age, is more dominant than Vince Carter.

The Cavs have plenty of mid-range shooters. Having a jump-shooting center doesn't help them all that much. Shaq is going to really help the Cavs spread things out. You know how Lebron can be a striker from outside the paint AND be a force in the middle? Having a solid option in Shaq creating space is going to allow him to be even MORE elusive and deadly than he already was.

This move is going to rape next season. I really don't think the Celtics even with Garnett can stop them.

Ultra Peanut
06-25-2009, 05:26 PM
What would be the point? Amare would never resign with Memphis.Guy's reaching the age where a max contract might start looking preeetty appealling.

DrRyan
06-25-2009, 11:04 PM
The Magic just lost two starters for Carter. The Cavs gave up two backups that underachieved all season and showed up only for a few minutes in one or two playoff games. All for Shaq, who even at his age, is more dominant than Vince Carter.

The Cavs have plenty of mid-range shooters. Having a jump-shooting center doesn't help them all that much. Shaq is going to really help the Cavs spread things out. You know how Lebron can be a striker from outside the paint AND be a force in the middle? Having a solid option in Shaq creating space is going to allow him to be even MORE elusive and deadly than he already was.

This move is going to rape next season. I really don't think the Celtics even with Garnett can stop them.

It is a little early to be putting them in the Finals. Cleveland's shooting 3 point, mid-range or otherwise was bordering on pathetic in the series against Orlando. A jump shooter that can knock down open shots is exactly what the Cavs need. I have a hard time seeing Shaq "help spread things out." Shaq takes up space, and tons of it in the lane.

Obviously the move improves the Cavs, but it does not address their biggest problems. Pick and roll defense is what lost them the series against Orlando, and believe it or not, Shaq's defense in that regard is as bad or worse than Z's. Give LeBron and lights out shooter and then they be very tough to beat.

DJ's left nut
06-26-2009, 09:04 AM
Orlando gave up Alston, who isn't a starter with Nelson healthy, Battie, who is little more than a bench piece and Lee for Carter.

It shakes out to Lee for Carter. Lee's a very good young player, but he's a little redundant there. Orlando desperately needed someone that can drive the lane and make their own shot to take the pressure off their jump shooters and Howard. Carter is a great fit for them. It also actually frees up a little cash for them, IIRC, which would allow them to re-sign Hedo.

The Spurs have made the best move of the offseason so far, getting Richard Jefferson for peanuts.

Both of those moves smoke the Shaq trade. LeBron desperately needed a wing with size and athleticism, he didn't need another plodding center who can't run the floor and won't defend a pick and roll. Either Jefferson or Carter would've been far better fits for them.