PDA

View Full Version : Life Crash!

runnercyclist
06-25-2009, 10:10 PM
Crashed today on a descent at about 33MPH. A Boxer dog ran in front of me and I went over the handlebars and broke my clavicle. I see the bone DR tomorrow but I'm afraid my RAGBRAI 2009 is not going to happen.

So tonight I am depressed, popping Loritabs and drinking American Ale.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-25-2009, 10:12 PM
Go to the interesting people thread. You'll fit right in. Sorry to hear about your fall.

FAX
06-25-2009, 10:12 PM
Dang. Sorry to hear about that. Is the dog okay? How about the bike? Did you get lots of Lortabs? You need a clavicle to cycle?

FAX

runnercyclist
06-25-2009, 10:16 PM
Dang. Sorry to hear about that. Is the dog okay? How about the bike? Did you get lots of Lortabs? You need a clavicle to cycle?

FAX

Dog is OK. Big ass Boxer all muscle. Hit me like a middle linebacker. Bike is fine. I think. Only 18 loritabs but I see the real Dr tomorrow. I'm thinking I can be back on the bike in 4 weeks but I was planning on cycling with Team Good Beer during Ragbrai and was already planning on falling down a lot anyway. Probably not the best on a healing collarbone.

cdcox
06-25-2009, 10:17 PM
Ouch. Sorry to hear. Missing a major event like that has to be disappointing.

Rain Man
06-25-2009, 10:34 PM
I fear that this means the dog revolution has started.

Was the dog wearing a bandana and a bandolier of ammunition?

runnercyclist
06-25-2009, 10:37 PM
No bandanas or bandoliers but that dude was solid. I widh I had the crash on video. It had to be spectacular.

Mr. Plow
06-25-2009, 10:38 PM
You should have been running instead of cycling....easier to avoid things like that.

runnercyclist
06-25-2009, 10:42 PM
You should have been running instead of cycling....easier to avoid things like that.

LOL Good point. I certainly wouldnt have been doing 33 mph either!

Damn, choices.

Mr. Plow
06-25-2009, 10:46 PM
LOL Good point. I certainly wouldnt have been doing 33 mph either!

Damn, choices.

That's alright....you got some good meds out of the deal.

Buehler445
06-25-2009, 11:01 PM
Wow dude. Sorry to hear. At 33MPH you're lucky all you broke was a collar bone. I'd have broken a leg clear off or something.

Here's to a speedy recovery.

teedubya
06-25-2009, 11:23 PM
Sorry to hear about your FAIL. But, count your blessings... former KU AD Bob Frederick DIED going a lot SLOWER than you were... and he was wearing a helmet.

runnercyclist
06-25-2009, 11:32 PM
Sorry to hear about your FAIL. But, count your blessings... former KU AD Bob Frederick DIED going a lot SLOWER than you were... and he was wearing a helmet.

My helmet is toast. I went endo and landed head and shoulder, LOL. REally, besides the broken clavicale, came out pretty good. Minimal road rash and minimal damage to the machine.

88TG88
06-25-2009, 11:49 PM
Damn, that sucks bro. My dad went for a ride today and he got a flat after a few laps. He told me like two laps after he left the front of the pack went down. He said he would've totaled his bike had he stayed.

Lonewolf Ed
06-26-2009, 08:45 AM
My neighbor has an asshole of a boxer, but it never gets too close to me... I have a rottweiler. If she was 3 or 4 years younger, she could catch that little mutt.

Brock
06-26-2009, 08:46 AM
Collarbones suck.

Chief Chief
06-26-2009, 09:17 AM
Well, congrats -- you're in good company! Lance Armstrong broke his collarbone in a crash as well. Maybe you'll end up winning the Tour de France soon.

seclark
06-26-2009, 09:39 AM
i'm curious...is the dogs owner responsible for damages/hospital bills?
sec

runnercyclist
06-26-2009, 10:35 AM
i'm curious...is the dogs owner responsible for damages/hospital bills?
sec

i'm not sure. i have calls in to two attorneys.

seclark
06-26-2009, 10:42 AM
i'm not sure. i have calls in to two attorneys.

i'd like to know. the bulldog at my house has been hit 3 times by vehicles, and once by a 4-wheeler. so far, no damage to any vehicles, but i'm sure one day i'll be given a bill for damages.

sec

FAX
06-26-2009, 11:08 AM
i'd like to know. the bulldog at my house has been hit 3 times by vehicles, and once by a 4-wheeler. so far, no damage to any vehicles, but i'm sure one day i'll be given a bill for damages.

sec

Jesus, man.

Is your dog some kind of armored, robot dog or something? Is he from Krypton? Was he ever in the Army and did they do strange experiments on his DNA? Can he transform into a wagon?

FAX

runnercyclist
06-26-2009, 12:25 PM

sec

Sounds like the same damn dog

seclark
06-26-2009, 12:40 PM
Jesus, man.

Is your dog some kind of armored, robot dog or something? Is he from Krypton? Was he ever in the Army and did they do strange experiments on his DNA? Can he transform into a wagon?

FAX
first off, he's not my dog. my son and daughter-in-law bought him and raised him for a year in their apartment. after they graduated college, they moved back to kv and decided they didn't want a dog in the house when they started having kids.

i came home from work one day and they'd left him, a dog house and a days worth of dog food at my back door. he tries to chew on the 4wheeler tires when it's moving. got his head ran over once and i had to take him to the vet to get his jaw wired back together. didn't faze him. he's got scars across the top of his nose from fighting w/the weedeater. he's probably been run over more times than i know...the neighbors probably just got tired of stopping to tell me about it.

actually, he's very calm and gentle around kids, and loves to fetch bricks and whatever else you throw him. i just don't want him to damage anyones car/truck.

sec

Otter
06-26-2009, 02:30 PM
I broke my collar bone a couple months ago as well. Unless it's real bad break where they can't get the bones to align you'll probably just get brace that mobilizes everything till the bones fuse and you'll have a bump there for the long run.

My truck is a stick and I had to take if off to shift. Piece of advice: don't do that until the bones are fused. Grossest feeling in the world is your bones coming apart from putting pressure on the break.

FAX
06-26-2009, 04:02 PM
first off, he's not my dog. my son and daughter-in-law bought him and raised him for a year in their apartment. after they graduated college, they moved back to kv and decided they didn't want a dog in the house when they started having kids.

i came home from work one day and they'd left him, a dog house and a days worth of dog food at my back door. he tries to chew on the 4wheeler tires when it's moving. got his head ran over once and i had to take him to the vet to get his jaw wired back together. didn't faze him. he's got scars across the top of his nose from fighting w/the weedeater. he's probably been run over more times than i know...the neighbors probably just got tired of stopping to tell me about it.

actually, he's very calm and gentle around kids, and loves to fetch bricks and whatever else you throw him. i just don't want him to damage anyones car/truck.

sec

ROFL

Good God, man. This dog needs to be in some kind of scientific study immediately. Imagine an army of these dogs set loose on China!!! They wouldn't be able to mobilize their troops. Their Air Force would be grounded. Their tanks would be useless within a matter of days. Not to mention the fact that all Chinese deli owners would meet a brutal and sudden end just as soon as they tried to capture one of these puppies. And, of course, this, in turn, means sorry, no food for army today.

You and your dog may have just saved Western Civilization, Mr. seclark!!!

FAX

runnercyclist
06-26-2009, 06:25 PM
ROFL

Good God, man. This dog needs to be in some kind of scientific study immediately. Imagine an army of these dogs set loose on China!!! They wouldn't be able to mobilize their troops. Their Air Force would be grounded. Their tanks would be useless within a matter of days. Not to mention the fact that all Chinese deli owners would meet a brutal and sudden end just as soon as they tried to capture one of these puppies. And, of course, this, in turn, means sorry, no food for army today.

You and your dog may have just saved Western Civilization, Mr. seclark!!!

FAX

I know of one f-ing dog I wish had been sent to China.