PDA

View Full Version : Computers Fuck Apple!

Buehler445
06-25-2009, 11:37 PM
OK. I have a Dell Latitude E4300 with a docking station. I have the machine undocked watching Burn Notice (because it is cool). I shut the machine down. Dock it. Start it up........Gets stuck on the screen prior to start up. :spock: So I have to undock it, force it to shut down, and try again. Same shit.

:cuss: <---- A LOT

Call Dell. Douchebag I get on the phone tells me it's my external harddrive. So I go into BIOS and deselect USB from the boot order. It shouldn't even recognize it now. Try again. Same shit.

:cuss:

So the douchebag on the phone tells me that there is nothing I can do but do a system restore and HOPE it works, or try to unplug the device during startup, and plug it in after it boots. Douchebag.

So I sick DaFace on it because he is way smarter than any douchebag at Dell. We monkey with some stuff, still no worky. I take the external harddrive off the docking station and hook it directly to the laptop to see if that's what's stopping the boot. Boots up fine. It's not that.

So I've called it quits. I was going to call them in the morning and tell them to send me another docking station. Then I remembered I had my iPod plugged into the USB port on my monitor. I had to unplug it so I could take it to work anyway, so what the heck, I'll try it.....Works like a champ.

STEVE JOBS IS THE DEVIL. He must be systematically sabotaging Microsoft, that is the only explanation.

Anyway, that was a nice evening filled with :cuss:

06-25-2009, 11:43 PM
ROFL

88TG88
06-25-2009, 11:52 PM
Sounds like fuck dell to me.

TinyEvel
06-25-2009, 11:58 PM
FUCK AT&T

I went into their store today and after 30 minutes into an hour (projected) wait, I asked if they have the new iPhone (the thing I was there to buy) they said "no."

06-26-2009, 12:29 AM
**** AT&T

I went into their store today and after 30 minutes into an hour (projected) wait, I asked if they have the new iPhone (the thing I was there to buy) they said "no."

:cuss:Now thats looking out for your customers.

KCChiefsMan
06-26-2009, 01:09 AM
f*ck Steve Jobs, it pisses me off that he got a liver transplant only because he is rich and powerful, a regular hard working guy (although, insured) could never get one. FUCK HIM, I hope he dies in a car wreck tomorrow. I want to murder people in the health care industry for reasons you would never know.

Buehler445
06-26-2009, 06:30 AM
Sounds like fuck dell to me.

That could very well be. But for now, it is fuck Apple. :cuss:

FUCK AT&T

Unacceptable. Send that place a letterbomb.

Fish
06-26-2009, 08:26 AM
It's not really Apple's fault that your Dell can't boot with anything attached to it. That seems like a rather unnecessary requirement for booting a computer. And the Dell dumbshit tech support guy recommends system restore? WTF?

Your anger is misplaced.

BigRedChief
06-26-2009, 08:34 AM
I thought Apple's were finely honed machines?

Gonzo
06-26-2009, 08:36 AM
Bought an IMac two years ago...

Still works like a champ.

Fuck pc.

Fish
06-26-2009, 08:39 AM
I thought Apple's were finely honed machines?

Nothing in this story says they aren't.....

Buehler445
06-26-2009, 08:51 AM
It's not really Apple's fault that your Dell can't boot with anything attached to it. That seems like a rather unnecessary requirement for booting a computer. And the Dell dumbshit tech support guy recommends system restore? WTF?

Your anger is misplaced.

I have no friggin clue why it didn't boot. Even if the ipod had something in it that would try to boot from I even went as far as going into the BIOS and disabled booting from a USB, so it shouldn't even try. I have no clue.

And you're right, it's a Dell deal, and the toolbox associate at dell was quite the douchebag. But I figured I'd curse apple. A conspiracy that Steve Jobs is sabotaging PCs through ipod sounds better :D
Posted via Mobile Device

bevischief
06-26-2009, 09:01 AM
send them some ainitfreeze...

bevischief
06-26-2009, 09:02 AM
OK. I have a Dell Latitude E4300 with a docking station. I have the machine undocked watching Burn Notice (because it is cool). I shut the machine down. Dock it. Start it up........Gets stuck on the screen prior to start up. :spock: So I have to undock it, force it to shut down, and try again. Same shit.

:cuss: <---- A LOT

Call Dell. Douchebag I get on the phone tells me it's my external harddrive. So I go into BIOS and deselect USB from the boot order. It shouldn't even recognize it now. Try again. Same shit.

So the douchebag on the phone tells me that there is nothing I can do but do a system restore and HOPE it works, or try to unplug the device during startup, and plug it in after it boots. Douchebag.

So I sick DaFace on it because he is way smarter than any douchebag at Dell. We monkey with some stuff, still no worky. I take the external harddrive off the docking station and hook it directly to the laptop to see if that's what's stopping the boot. Boots up fine. It's not that.

So I've called it quits. I was going to call them in the morning and tell them to send me another docking station. Then I remembered I had my iPod plugged into the USB port on my monitor. I had to unplug it so I could take it to work anyway, so what the heck, I'll try it.....Works like a champ.

STEVE JOBS IS THE DEVIL. He must be systematically sabotaging Microsoft, that is the only explanation.

ROFL

Have to love tech support.

Bearcat
06-26-2009, 09:19 AM
Try disabling the USB emulation in the BIOS. I've always had the same problem with my Dell, and after screwing around with it a few times I got it to successfully boot after doing that... and everything (the mouse and the flash drive that it was originally trying to boot from) is working.

jjjayb
06-26-2009, 09:25 AM
Then I remembered I had my iPod plugged into the USB port on my monitor. I had to unplug it so I could take it to work anyway, so what the heck, I'll try it.....Works like a champ.

I've been called to fix several computers and this was the problem. First time it took a lot of cussing to figure out. Now I look like a genius when I can fix the computer in about a half second by unplugging the usb cable.

Bearcat
06-26-2009, 09:34 AM
Oh, and as far as tech support.... even though I didn't find this particular solution in Google until after I found I found the setting in the BIOS and knew what to search for, yeah... use Google, CP, ask your grandparents, etc; before calling them. I'm so freakin' tired of bad tech support. I know they deal with idiots all day, but when I give you a list of things that I've done, don't make me do all of it again and don't pull things out of your ass like system restores. :cuss: Research it, call me back, whatever.... but do your f***ing job.

With the tech support in India, I've had a few occasions lately where I give them a list of stuff that I've done, and they come back either asking if I've done what I've already told them I've done, or they ignore it completely... why tell your customers to "make sure you give us a detailed explanation so we can effectively troubleshoot the problem" if you're just going to ignore it?

Example from mint.com --

Dear Mint.com,

I successfully setup and synced my [credit card] account two nights ago, but have been receiving the error "Temporary Issue Connecting"/"Trying a bit later should do the trick" for the past couple of days.

I've tried the "Try Again" several times over the span of 2 days, I've deleted the account a couple of times and started over, and I've verified all security questions/answers (upper/lower case) and can log into [cc website]. The list of security questions is different for each prompt, so the order doesn't make a difference. There was even one suggestion in your forums to log into their website first and then log into mint.com, but that's not working either. It was successful once, and I'm not getting an authentication error, so I'm not sure what else to try... any suggestions?

Dear Bearcat,

Thank you for contacting Mint.com.

I can see here that you do not have any successful addition of this account. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? Can you please delete the account (go to 'Account's page, click on the "DELETE" mark to remove the account) then re-add it again. Ugh Make sure to input same set of security questions, like what you have on your bank. Duh

If the problem persists, just leave the account in question, do not remove the account so we can file a bug with our providers. Why not just DO THIS NOW?!?!

Thank you,
Duuuuuhhhhhrrrrr
Mint.com

dj56dt58
06-26-2009, 09:44 AM
FUCK AT&T

You really thought they would still have them in stock?

Fish
06-26-2009, 10:13 AM
I have no friggin clue why it didn't boot. Even if the ipod had something in it that would try to boot from I even went as far as going into the BIOS and disabled booting from a USB, so it shouldn't even try. I have no clue.

And you're right, it's a Dell deal, and the toolbox associate at dell was quite the douchebag. But I figured I'd curse apple. A conspiracy that Steve Jobs is sabotaging PCs through ipod sounds better :D
Posted via Mobile Device

The problem is that the BIOS thinks the iPod is a hard drive. And even though you've turned off booting from USB, the BIOS is treating the iPod as a HD instead of a USB device, so that overrides the boot from USB option.

You can copy the ntldr.sys file from your C: drive to your iPod... (:evil: Actually don't do this)

Or you can disable Legacy USB support in the BIOS.

Or a mobo firmware update might fix it....

It boils down to crappy BIOS programming...

Buehler445
06-26-2009, 10:35 AM
The problem is that the BIOS thinks the iPod is a hard drive. And even though you've turned off booting from USB, the BIOS is treating the iPod as a HD instead of a USB device, so that overrides the boot from USB option.

You can copy the ntldr.sys file from your C: drive to your iPod... (:evil: Actually don't do this)

Or you can disable Legacy USB support in the BIOS.

Or a mobo firmware update might fix it....

It boils down to crappy BIOS programming...

I bet you're right. Although I think the correct answer is don't try to boot while my ipod is plugged in.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bearcat
06-26-2009, 10:38 AM
I bet you're right. Although I think the correct answer is don't try to boot while my ipod is plugged in.
Posted via Mobile Device

Did you see my first post? It's the same as what Fish said about disabling legacy usb support... should fix your problem.

Buehler445
06-26-2009, 11:00 AM
Did you see my first post? It's the same as what Fish said about disabling legacy usb support... should fix your problem.

Yeah, I'm not real comfortable poking around in the BIOS. I'll take a look after work, but it really isn't that big of a deal to unplug my ipod. If other stuff starts doing it, then I'll certainly have to address it.
Posted via Mobile Device

BigMeatballDave
06-26-2009, 11:43 AM
Sounds like fuck dell to me.Sounds like the iPod is what was causing the problem.

BigMeatballDave
06-26-2009, 11:46 AM
Bought an IMac two years ago...

Still works like a champ.

Fuck pc.Heh, I bought an eMachine 2.5 yrs ago and have had 0 problems with it...

Bearcat
06-26-2009, 11:47 AM
Sounds like the iPod is what was causing the problem.

It's Dell, and like KC Fish said, crappy BIOS programming... I had the same problem with flash drives, as well as my iPod.

Buehler445
06-26-2009, 11:50 AM
Heh, I bought an eMachine 2.5 yrs ago and have had 0 problems with it...

My last computer was a dell and it lasted 6.5 years and I did minimal maintinence on it.

Bearcat
06-26-2009, 12:08 PM
My last computer was a dell and it lasted 6.5 years and I did minimal maintinence on it.

I don't remember when I got this Dell... at least 4 years ago, maybe 5 or 6. No issues at all. My brother got the same one at the same time. I think all he's had to do is replace the CD/DVD drive, but he's also complained about the crack on the outside from dropping it several times....

BigMeatballDave
06-26-2009, 04:17 PM
My last computer was a dell and it lasted 6.5 years and I did minimal maintinence on it.I just bought a Dell laptop like 6 weeks ago. I love it. I don't use the desktop anymore, I gave that to my GF and my son to use.