PDA

View Full Version : News Evil/Stupid soccer mom

RippedmyFlesh
06-26-2009, 08:45 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090626/ap_on_fe_st/us_odd_mom_grade_tampering

The highlights of the article

Pa. mother charged with changing daughter's grades

HUNTINGDON, Pa. – A high school secretary illegally changed grades in a school computer system to improve her daughter's class standing, according to criminal charges filed Thursday.

McNeal, 39, is alleged to have improved her daughter Brittany's grades and reduced those of two classmates to enhance Brittany's standing in the 2008 graduating class.

In all, McNeal is accused of altering nearly 200 scores and grades covering four school years.

The situation came to light in October 2007, when an employee of the high school guidance office discovered conflicting SAT scores for Brittany.

Scores provided directly by the College Board showed a cumulative score of 1370, while an unknown source had previously entered 1730, according to court papers.1

Further investigation revealed that the data had been entered from Caroline McNeal's computer starting more than a week before SAT scores for other students were entered.

Three other secretaries at the school told investigators they had shared their passwords with Caroline McNeal during vacations or other prolonged absences.

I have 2 grown children and know I would do things for them that I wouldn't do for anyone else. Changing grades is wrong so no sympathy for that. BUT....if she had just changed her daughter's grades and stopped at that I wouldn't condone it but maybe understand how an over zealous parent could act.
She crossed the line in messing with "others" grades in my book and went from over zealous parent to bitch.
The topping of the cake for me is the end user arrogance of entering the SAT a week early. Like saying to IT "your an idiot".
I couldn't be objective on her jury because I'd say "string her up"

Would you have given her more slack if she had stopped at just altering her own kid's records?

Katipan
06-26-2009, 08:54 AM
I see no evidence of soccer.

RippedmyFlesh
06-26-2009, 09:00 AM
More of a cultural reference than alluding to the sport but I hate soccer anyways so I could care less how it's taken in that context.

Kerberos
06-26-2009, 09:05 AM

Misspelled

They were trying to say that the OTHER parents of the grade changing wanted to Sock her.

RippedmyFlesh
06-26-2009, 09:07 AM
Misspelled

They were trying to say that the OTHER parents of the grade changing wanted to Sock her.
:D
I know had not even thought about that angle of how pissed I would be if I were other parent..

Duck Dog
06-26-2009, 09:08 AM
I don't know about evil, maybe a little 'devilish'.

Chief Chief
06-26-2009, 09:09 AM

She's deleting some information in the process of changing grades, so obviously she's a STRIKER.

She also improves numbered results, so she's a SCORER.

Finally, she edits data, so she's a MARKER.

RippedmyFlesh
06-26-2009, 09:11 AM
I don't know about evil, maybe a little 'devilish'.
Has kind of a tonya harding feel to it
the cyber equivalent of getting your knee whacked

Duck Dog
06-26-2009, 09:15 AM
Has kind of a tonya harding feel to it
the cyber equivalent of getting your knee whacked

Yeah, it was sucker punch for sure.

RippedmyFlesh
06-26-2009, 09:19 AM
Yeah, it was sucker punch for sure.
Like I said if she had stopped at her daughter's thats one thing going that extra yard is just over the line for me..

RippedmyFlesh
06-26-2009, 09:20 AM
I am not a lawyer or a math genius but this looks like alot of time to me

McNeal was charged with 29 counts of unlawful use of a computer and 29 counts of tampering with public records. Each count is a third-degree felony punishable by a maximum of seven years in prison and a $15,000 fine, said Nils Frederiksen, a spokesman for Corbett's office.

So does she have to live until she is 406 to serve all her time? 29 X 7 twice

L.A. Chieffan
06-26-2009, 09:25 AM
1730? You cant even get a 1730.

MORAN!

N/M. it was when i took the thing

Crush
06-26-2009, 10:00 AM
Sounds like the plot of a Lifetime original movie.

RJ
06-26-2009, 10:09 AM
Ok, she's not actually a soccer mom and technically she's probably very selfish and uncaring, but not necessarily evil or stupid. But other than that the thread title is accurate. It is a news item and she is a mom.

Rain Man
06-26-2009, 10:11 AM
Even if she didn't change others' scores, she was doing things to try to position her kid above them. It's essentially no different, because either way it could cost a deserving kid some scholarship money.

Maybe it's a little worse that she damaged some kids more than others, but I guess I would lean toward saying that she was doing illegal things and you can't have more or less illegal. It's just illegal.

Earthling
06-26-2009, 11:03 AM
Whatever happened to the idea of being self sufficient? I mean back in the old days I would sneak into the teachers desk, find her grade book, and quickly change an F into a B. Its just a sign of the times I guess..

LaChapelle
06-26-2009, 11:10 AM
Bullshit. She'd be helping some jock for some cock. It's high school.

-or is that the stupid/evil part?

FAX
06-26-2009, 11:31 AM
Gang rape. It's the only cure for somebody like this.

I think I should have been a mental hospital administrator in the 1800s.

FAX

Earthling
06-26-2009, 11:32 AM
Maybe thats where Bugs got the idea of the line.."Whats up Doc?"

Kerberos
06-26-2009, 11:37 AM

FAX

I'd rather have a "Full Bottle in Front of me"

Than a

"Full Frontal Lobotomy"

:D

KCChiefsMan
06-26-2009, 02:03 PM
I was expecting a hot soccer mom milf doing something stupid like all of the balls flowing out of the minivan and she would have to bend over and pick up each and every one in short shorts.

Rain Man
06-26-2009, 02:53 PM

FAX

Oh, stop it. That's your cure for everything.