PDA

View Full Version : Computers Im buying this laptop but...

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-28-2009, 10:15 PM
So after three days of looking at a hundred different models, I've finally settled on this Toshiba:

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=210572489&loc=101

http://ak.buy.com/db_assets/large_images/489/210572489.jpg

The only thing that would make this a much sweeter deal would be a 512mb video card instead of the 256.

The only thing in this price range with a dedicated 512 that I could find was an Acer, but their reputation is pretty much shite in terms of build quality.
If anyone has a better suggestion or the hook-up, I'm all ears.

Thanks!

Buck
06-28-2009, 10:20 PM
Check w/ Simply Red. He sells Laptops and Laptop Accessories.

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-28-2009, 10:22 PM
Check w/ Simply Red. He sells Laptops and Laptop Accessories.

Excellent, Buck! Thanks!

pr_capone
06-28-2009, 11:24 PM
Toshiba.

Love their Audio/Video equipment but DETEST their laptops.

I and 2 friends have had Toshiba laptops and they ALL have been nothing but huge amounts of trouble.

Cheap optical drives, cheap memory, cheap components. All junk. You are better off with an Acer.

googlegoogle
06-28-2009, 11:31 PM
touchpad on the left

The_Doctor10
06-28-2009, 11:32 PM
Toshiba.

I and 2 friends have had Toshiba laptops and they ALL have been nothing but huge amounts of trouble.

Cheap optical drives, cheap memory, cheap components. All junk. You are better off with an Acer.

I had an Acer for 2 years and my god I have never owned a more infuriating piece of technology in my life. Avoid Acers like the fucking plague. I was so put off by it (sent it away for FOUR major repairs in less than 24 months, it was absolute nonsense) that I dug deep and bought a Macbook. And I can honestly say, there's something to be said for a machine that simply put, just works whenever you ask it to do something and doesn't give you shit.

I know this place is not the most Mac-supportive locality on earth, but seriously, if you can afford it, get one. It's just one less thing you have to worry about. And they frankly are GORGEOUS

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-29-2009, 12:00 AM
Toshiba.

My IT guy is all ga-ga for Dell and Gateway, but they don't give you much bang for the buck. My boss has a Toshiba that has run well for three years now, I think it's just all in how you treat them.

touchpad on the left

No, it's centered just like a regular laptop. The difference is the number pad( which I love because top numbers suck ballz to use )

I had an Acer for 2 years and my god I have never owned a more infuriating piece of technology in my life. Avoid Acers like the fucking plague. I was so put off by it (sent it away for FOUR major repairs in less than 24 months, it was absolute nonsense) that I dug deep and bought a Macbook. And I can honestly say, there's something to be said for a machine that simply put, just works whenever you ask it to do something and doesn't give you shit.

I know this place is not the most Mac-supportive locality on earth, but seriously, if you can afford it, get one. It's just one less thing you have to worry about. And they frankly are GORGEOUS

ROFL Everybody who's heavy in to laptops says the same thing.

No Mac-y here: it not friendly to my apps, and for $1000-up; it still no fetch-a Sake!!!:D

pr_capone
06-29-2009, 12:18 AM
My IT guy is all ga-ga for Dell and Gateway, but they don't give you much bang for the buck. My boss has a Toshiba that has run well for three years now, I think it's just all in how you treat them.

I treat my electronics as I would a child. The other 2 are much the same way, if you don't count stepping on one after tipping and cracking the LCD, and all have been plagued by problems.

Best of luck to you with it tho.

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-29-2009, 12:24 AM
I treat my electronics as I would a child. The other 2 are much the same way, if you don't count stepping on one after tipping and cracking the LCD, and all have been plagued by problems.

Best of luck to you with it tho.

So what are you using now?

pr_capone
06-29-2009, 12:32 AM
So what are you using now?

I have not owned a laptop since the Toshiba. My brother uses a refurbished Gateway and currently uses a Ubuntu/XP dual boot. Not a single problem from day one.

I can't really recommend a particular laptop but at least I can relate my past experience with Toshiba rigs.

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-29-2009, 12:36 AM
I have not owned a laptop since the Toshiba. My brother uses a refurbished Gateway and currently uses a Ubuntu/XP dual boot. Not a single problem from day one.

I can't really recommend a particular laptop but at least I can relate my past experience with Toshiba rigs.

I might look deeper in to Gateway.

BigRedChief
06-29-2009, 08:23 AM

I bought this one last week. $450.00

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9325429&type=product&id=1218084985023

Fish
06-29-2009, 09:12 AM
I've never been happy with the mobile AMD chips. You'd probably be much happier spending a little extra and getting an Intel based laptop. The mobile AMDs are terrible for battery life too....

BigMeatballDave
06-29-2009, 09:46 AM
I bought this one last week. $450.00

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9325429&type=product&id=1218084985023Son of a bitch! I wish Best Buy had that when I bought my Dell there 2 months ago. :mad:

mikeyis4dcats.
06-29-2009, 10:01 AM
I've owned a Toshiba for about 4 years and never had an issue. Been a great laptop.

underEJ
06-29-2009, 10:13 AM
Just a quick mac vs. pc note. Basically, the answer is you get what you pay for. People who buy cheap pcs will have more problems than people who buy high end pcs and macs. if apple made cheap macs, people would probably have problems with them too.

I have both because of the same software incompatibility issue you are having, a mac G5 (not a laptop) that runs like a champ after 4 years. I over bought then, so I'm still really happy with it now. And two Sony Vaio, a laptop, and a umpc (a discontinued line that wasn't popular due to the tiny keyboard, but I think it's fantastic.) Both Sonys are great and have had no problems in 3 and 2 years respectively, not even one crash.

Just know what you are getting into with a pc under 1000 dollars, it is cheaper because the parts are cheaper. Maybe look for a refurbished higher end model just to see what's available before you purchase?

Buehler445
06-29-2009, 11:33 AM
I have a friend who bought a Toshiba laptop and has had problems out of the box.

It just depends. Sometimes you get a lemon.

I have a Dell Latitude laptop with a docking station. Laptop works fine, though sometimes, the fucking docking station pitches a fit.

If I were you, I'd get an external 10-key and avoid the numberpad on the keyboard. That will either make the laptop GINORMOUS or the keyboard itty bitty.

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-29-2009, 11:35 AM
I have a friend who bought a Toshiba laptop and has had problems out of the box.

It just depends. Sometimes you get a lemon.

I have a Dell Latitude laptop with a docking station. Laptop works fine, though sometimes, the fucking docking station pitches a fit.

If I were you, I'd get an external 10-key and avoid the numberpad on the keyboard. That will either make the laptop GINORMOUS or the keyboard itty bitty.

I'm good with ginormous; I basically WANT a portable desktop.

Buehler445
06-29-2009, 11:39 AM
I'm good with ginormous; I basically WANT a portable desktop.

That's why I went with the docking station. When I'm at my desk, it is a PC, wireless keyboard/mouse, speakers, 19" monitor all the regular stuff of a desktop, but when I want to be mobile, it is pretty small and portable.

BigRedChief
06-29-2009, 12:51 PM
Son of a bitch! I wish Best Buy had that when I bought my Dell there 2 months ago. :mad:
Isn't that always the case though? Soon as you walk out the door there is something cheaper and has more "stuff" in it than your now crappy tech junk.

BigMeatballDave
06-29-2009, 02:13 PM
Just a quick mac vs. pc note. Basically, the answer is you get what you pay for. People who buy cheap pcs will have more problems than people who buy high end pcs and macs. if apple made cheap macs, people would probably have problems with them too.

I have both because of the same software incompatibility issue you are having, a mac G5 (not a laptop) that runs like a champ after 4 years. I over bought then, so I'm still really happy with it now. And two Sony Vaio, a laptop, and a umpc (a discontinued line that wasn't popular due to the tiny keyboard, but I think it's fantastic.) Both Sonys are great and have had no problems in 3 and 2 years respectively, not even one crash.

Just know what you are getting into with a pc under 1000 dollars, it is cheaper because the parts are cheaper. Maybe look for a refurbished higher end model just to see what's available before you purchase?Whatever. I bought a freakin eMachine 2.5 yrs ago and have had zero problems with it.

The_Doctor10
06-29-2009, 04:56 PM

Just know what you are getting into with a pc under 1000 dollars, it is cheaper because the parts are cheaper. Maybe look for a refurbished higher end model just to see what's available before you purchase?

Personally, I think the software incompatibility issues with Macs are overblown; iWork can convert all its files to Word, powerpoint, Excel etc, and the Adobe software is essentially the same. You probably run into just as many compatibility issues with Vista especially if you're not on the very latest MS Office. Add to that iWork is 90 bucks whereas Word and Wordperfect are several hundred, and I think the incompatibility is a myth unless you're talking about gaming. But frankly, that's what an XBOX is for...

I will say this: Finding a printer for my Mac is a pain in the ass. My old one was a Canon Laserjet which has worked FLAWLESSLY for 3 years, and now I can't use it anymore. Which isn't a huge deal considering I print maybe a hundred pages a year, but just the same, it's a minor inconvenience. Though it's a small price to pay for just how wonderful this machine works.

BigMeatballDave
06-29-2009, 05:41 PM
Isn't that always the case though? Soon as you walk out the door there is something cheaper and has more "stuff" in it than your now crappy tech junk.Yes it is. For this reason I avoided store ads...:)