PDA

View Full Version : Video Games Need TW10 or FNR4?

Dayze
06-29-2009, 03:14 PM
Ok Gang”…

I’m thinking of picking up a new game for PS3;
I was holding out for NCAA Football 2010, but I think I may pass considering all the negative press it’s getting.
Then I thought I’d score Madden in August for the first time in about 3 years, but I’m not sure I can hold out that long.

I’ve narrowed it down to FNR4, and TW10.
I’ve played FNR3 a ton; and played sever of the TW franchises.

Anyone have experience with either of them?

kcxiv
06-29-2009, 03:27 PM
ya, i been thinking of picking up one of them 2 games. TW's demo was pretty ok. To bad they didnt have the trade in deal for TW10 that they do for FNR4. lol

Buck
06-29-2009, 03:47 PM
Wait a week and get MLB The Bigs 2

Crashride
06-29-2009, 07:53 PM
Just make sure you play fn4 to make sure you like it. the demo should be online, its a little different from 3 but in a good way I hear. I've only played 4 so I cant give ya an opinion. I did notice the collision detection was AMAZING.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-29-2009, 08:50 PM
I just picked them both up Saturday. I haven't even opened Tiger Woods yet. FNR4 is just that damn good.

Dayze
06-29-2009, 09:15 PM
awesome. I was leaning towards FNR4 a little, but not by much. I loved the previous version, but thought it was a little slow - in that you could really anticipate punches thrown by the computer. Plus, the graphics in FNR4 looks crazy awesome.

How is the corner game? that was one of my big grips with R3 it was a little hokey - seemed like you reduced swelling and cuts 'just because/for something to do in gameplay. didn't really have an impact on the game I didn't find. I also didn't care for the training aspect of R3 - it too seemed a little labored.

I think I may pick this up tomorrow; and maybe TW10 for my birthday here in a few weeks.. Hell, the wife buys a bunch of stuff just before her birthday, so why not me? lol

Can't wait to play it.

Saulbadguy
06-29-2009, 09:17 PM
No face buttons = FAIL. Ultra FAIL. FAIL beyond the definition of FAIL.

Hopefully EA releases DLC to make the game somewhat appealing. (button mapping)

Dayze
06-29-2009, 09:32 PM

So you mean the only way to punch/bob/weave/manuever is with the sticks?

are you playing with a controller w/ no sticks? I'm not trying to come across like a putz; just curious as to the FAIL you mentioned. :hmmm:

Crashride
06-30-2009, 05:58 AM
So you mean the only way to punch/bob/weave/manuever is with the sticks?

are you playing with a controller w/ no sticks? I'm not trying to come across like a putz; just curious as to the FAIL you mentioned. :hmmm:

Yea all the punching buttons are with the right stick and manuevers are with the left. The actual buttons are held when you want power punches/bob and weave

Dayze
06-30-2009, 10:57 AM
Ok; I pulled the trigger and procured FNR4 today on my lunch break. I read a lot of other reviews - I was surprised at how many reviews said it "sucked" etc. Mainly because of the analog stick thing. I agree, there should be face buttons available for those who want to use them, but it won't bother me using them. I used the analogs on the 360 exclusively. In fact, I thought it added a bit of realism.

People also complained of energy/stamia being drained when moving around and blocking shots etc.....well, duh. lol. They've obviously never been punched in the side of the arm while blocking a shot - it does wear you out.

Seem this game is ideal for those who really like boxing (like me); and maybe not so much for the Street Fighter generation/button smashers? I like that you need to pick and choose your openings/figure out how the other figher is attacking you and exploit it.

Dunno - but I can't wait to get home and try this out.

KcFanInGA
06-30-2009, 02:05 PM

They announced yesterday I believe (check N4G.com) different button configs will be DLC, and I highly recommend FNR4.

Crashride
06-30-2009, 06:04 PM
They announced yesterday I believe (check N4G.com) different button configs will be DLC, and I highly recommend FNR4.

if thats true then this game will have added the final piece to make it a classic.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-30-2009, 06:06 PM
Ok; I pulled the trigger and procured FNR4 today on my lunch break. I read a lot of other reviews - I was surprised at how many reviews said it "sucked" etc. Mainly because of the analog stick thing. I agree, there should be face buttons available for those who want to use them, but it won't bother me using them. I used the analogs on the 360 exclusively. In fact, I thought it added a bit of realism.

People also complained of energy/stamia being drained when moving around and blocking shots etc.....well, duh. lol. They've obviously never been punched in the side of the arm while blocking a shot - it does wear you out.

Seem this game is ideal for those who really like boxing (like me); and maybe not so much for the Street Fighter generation/button smashers? I like that you need to pick and choose your openings/figure out how the other figher is attacking you and exploit it.

Dunno - but I can't wait to get home and try this out.

Exactly. Great post from top to bottom.

KcFanInGA
07-01-2009, 08:02 AM
I must admit, the training games are hard for me. I had to temporarily lower the difficulty, anyone ranked even 2 spots above me, and the AI had a nasty habit of knocking me down twice in a row in the 10th round, and I mean out of nowhere. This game needs sliders IMO. But still a great game.

Dayze
07-01-2009, 08:18 AM
“OK Gang”…

My preliminary review/impressions of FNR4 after a good 4 hours with the game last night. Overall I give this an “A”.:clap:
I seldom buy ‘new’ games due to price; but this one was worth $60. If you liked R3 and like the analog sticks…get this game. 10x better than R3. I have a hard time finding a bad part of this game thus far. I’m sure I’ll find annoying things as I play, but the first few hours were awesome.

I was playing the game on a PS3 through a 50” Sony LCD Rear Projection TV at 720p and had sound running through a 5.1 Sony 1000w home theater.

Game Set up-Initial load of the game was fairly quick considering an ‘update’ was and immediately required download.
-After a few fights as a Welterweight – Specifically Tommy Hearns – I stepped in to the Create a Boxer world. You can make of this what you want. You can get extremely detailed, or you can simply create a basic fighter and start. I chose the detailed route. This was a bit time consuming, but not because of confusion or irritating navigation functions; rather my indecisiveness on color scheme for trunks/gloves, intro song/music, laser & smoke machine etc.

Navigation-Thus far, I like the navigation through the menus of the game. It seems to flow a lot better than its’ predecessor. Everything seems to be on one screen in the Legacy mode : Calendar, rankings, popularity, message center (which, as in most EA ‘career/campus legend etc modes is a waste to time)

Graphics-Contrary to other reviews out there on the intrawebs, the Graphics are great. I’m amazed at how many bad reviews are out there for this game – citing ‘horrible graphics, R3 looked way better’….whatever. They are amazing. Much smoother during game play. And, while most games manufacturers seem to publish amazing graphics via screen shots of cut-scenes or videos of replays etc…the graphics here look great DURING game play. As you ‘float like a butterfly’, your trunks bounce like satin trunks would; you can see arm hair, sweat, muscle flex. The 60 frames per second is a huge plus (not sure why more games don’t do this considering the capabilities of 360/PS3 etc).
-The fight is great; lots of extras that add to the experience. Camera bulbs flashing; people/reporters etc sitting ringside; not to mention the sounds.

Sound-Love the sound of this game. Punches had different sounds. Throwing a punch into a block, had a ‘thud’ sound (as it would); a nice crisp and cleanly landed jab has a ‘snap’ or a crisp sound. And, when you get a good shot in it definitely let’s you know you’ve landed cleanly and not grazed over the target.
-Love the commentary. As you fight, you’re not really paying attention to exactly what is being said, but it’s a great ‘white noise’ so to speak. It sounds like you’re watching a fight. Most of the comments are ambiguous so they can insert them at varying points of the game and could apply to whichever fighter etc. However, this is done so intelligently. If you’ve landed a nice shot the commentary would be something along the lines of “He’s really working that jab, possibly to set up another shot”. And it sounds like a conversation between commentators – not just a string of random comments (Madden). So there weren’t too many ‘nickname specific’ comments (there are those however). Most of the comments didn’t seem repetitive etc. Excellent job on the commentary.
-Crowd gets progressively louder as you land varying shots; and a punch that stuns your opponent will get a rise out of the crowd.

Gameplay
-If you don’t like the analog True Punch Control, then this will not be for you. I personally, really like using them. I enjoy knowing that if I want to put together good combos or have a nice counter punch I need to ‘tell’ the system to throw that specific punch/punches.
-Game play is very smooth. Still a ‘little’ slow, but faster than R3. Overall not an issue
-Strategy. Love this part of the game. You can’t just go out and have a 200 punch round. You’ll be dead lol (much like in real life). Punches blocked by your opponent drain your stamina quicker than if you landed a clean blow. Missed punches also drain you quicker. However, if you land a 3 or 5 punch combo cleanly you’ll notice little erosion in your stamina. Nothing is more frustrating that landing a nice stun punch then running out of gas because you’re throwing inaccurate punches, and when you finally connect you’re stamina is so low it’s like a love tap. This works both ways; if you can box the computer and block some shots, its’ stamina is lower as well for a period and you move in for a nice combo.
-There was talk on the intrawebs that people, again, thought the game ‘sucked’ because you could never knock out your opponent etc. Well, you CAN if you land good punches. Simply firing punches all over the place won’t do much in terms of damage and KO potential. I’ve had 5 fights; knocked my opponents down 3 times and had 1 KO – and that KO came in the 2nd round of a 3 round fight. I’ve been knocked down 2 times. So it IS possible if you’re patient and counter-punch as counter-punches have more affect on your opponent.
-Corner games. Much prefer this to R3; didn’t care for the manual ‘cut man’ to reduce swelling/close cuts etc. This is WAY better.
-Training Games; seemed a lot better than R3. Still seems like a lot of work for little reward most times however. But, the games are fairly quick so it’s not so bad. Plus, as in R3, you can simulate these for 50% of the maximum points to be gained. I still tend to play them just to get good stick/punch control.

Crashride
07-01-2009, 10:03 AM
“OK Gang”…

My preliminary review/impressions of FNR4 after a good 4 hours with the game last night. Overall I give this an “A”.:clap:
I seldom buy ‘new’ games due to price; but this one was worth $60. If you liked R3 and like the analog sticks…get this game. 10x better than R3. I have a hard time finding a bad part of this game thus far. I’m sure I’ll find annoying things as I play, but the first few hours were awesome.

I was playing the game on a PS3 through a 50” Sony LCD Rear Projection TV at 720p and had sound running through a 5.1 Sony 1000w home theater.

Game Set up-Initial load of the game was fairly quick considering an ‘update’ was and immediately required download.
-After a few fights as a Welterweight – Specifically Tommy Hearns – I stepped in to the Create a Boxer world. You can make of this what you want. You can get extremely detailed, or you can simply create a basic fighter and start. I chose the detailed route. This was a bit time consuming, but not because of confusion or irritating navigation functions; rather my indecisiveness on color scheme for trunks/gloves, intro song/music, laser & smoke machine etc.

Navigation-Thus far, I like the navigation through the menus of the game. It seems to flow a lot better than its’ predecessor. Everything seems to be on one screen in the Legacy mode : Calendar, rankings, popularity, message center (which, as in most EA ‘career/campus legend etc modes is a waste to time)

Graphics-Contrary to other reviews out there on the intrawebs, the Graphics are great. I’m amazed at how many bad reviews are out there for this game – citing ‘horrible graphics, R3 looked way better’….whatever. They are amazing. Much smoother during game play. And, while most games manufacturers seem to publish amazing graphics via screen shots of cut-scenes or videos of replays etc…the graphics here look great DURING game play. As you ‘float like a butterfly’, your trunks bounce like satin trunks would; you can see arm hair, sweat, muscle flex. The 60 frames per second is a huge plus (not sure why more games don’t do this considering the capabilities of 360/PS3 etc).
-The fight is great; lots of extras that add to the experience. Camera bulbs flashing; people/reporters etc sitting ringside; not to mention the sounds.

Sound-Love the sound of this game. Punches had different sounds. Throwing a punch into a block, had a ‘thud’ sound (as it would); a nice crisp and cleanly landed jab has a ‘snap’ or a crisp sound. And, when you get a good shot in it definitely let’s you know you’ve landed cleanly and not grazed over the target.
-Love the commentary. As you fight, you’re not really paying attention to exactly what is being said, but it’s a great ‘white noise’ so to speak. It sounds like you’re watching a fight. Most of the comments are ambiguous so they can insert them at varying points of the game and could apply to whichever fighter etc. However, this is done so intelligently. If you’ve landed a nice shot the commentary would be something along the lines of “He’s really working that jab, possibly to set up another shot”. And it sounds like a conversation between commentators – not just a string of random comments (Madden). So there weren’t too many ‘nickname specific’ comments (there are those however). Most of the comments didn’t seem repetitive etc. Excellent job on the commentary.
-Crowd gets progressively louder as you land varying shots; and a punch that stuns your opponent will get a rise out of the crowd.

Gameplay
-If you don’t like the analog True Punch Control, then this will not be for you. I personally, really like using them. I enjoy knowing that if I want to put together good combos or have a nice counter punch I need to ‘tell’ the system to throw that specific punch/punches.
-Game play is very smooth. Still a ‘little’ slow, but faster than R3. Overall not an issue
-Strategy. Love this part of the game. You can’t just go out and have a 200 punch round. You’ll be dead lol (much like in real life). Punches blocked by your opponent drain your stamina quicker than if you landed a clean blow. Missed punches also drain you quicker. However, if you land a 3 or 5 punch combo cleanly you’ll notice little erosion in your stamina. Nothing is more frustrating that landing a nice stun punch then running out of gas because you’re throwing inaccurate punches, and when you finally connect you’re stamina is so low it’s like a love tap. This works both ways; if you can box the computer and block some shots, its’ stamina is lower as well for a period and you move in for a nice combo.
-There was talk on the intrawebs that people, again, thought the game ‘sucked’ because you could never knock out your opponent etc. Well, you CAN if you land good punches. Simply firing punches all over the place won’t do much in terms of damage and KO potential. I’ve had 5 fights; knocked my opponents down 3 times and had 1 KO – and that KO came in the 2nd round of a 3 round fight. I’ve been knocked down 2 times. So it IS possible if you’re patient and counter-punch as counter-punches have more affect on your opponent.
-Corner games. Much prefer this to R3; didn’t care for the manual ‘cut man’ to reduce swelling/close cuts etc. This is WAY better.
-Training Games; seemed a lot better than R3. Still seems like a lot of work for little reward most times however. But, the games are fairly quick so it’s not so bad. Plus, as in R3, you can simulate these for 50% of the maximum points to be gained. I still tend to play them just to get good stick/punch control.

Good review.