PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Michael Ash looks into Week 1 against the Ravens

Hammock Parties
06-30-2009, 06:30 PM
Early, but interesting.

http://kan.scout.com/2/875749.html

We continue the extended glimpse into our crystal ball by taking a look at the Chiefs’ schedule for the upcoming season. Specifically, we’ll examine the first several games and try to get a read on what we can expect in 2009.

This week, we examine Week 1 and the Chiefs’ matchup with the Baltimore Ravens.

Overview

At first glance, a Chiefs team that finished last season with a 2-14 record wouldn’t appear to have much chance against the Ravens, who went 11-5 and played in the AFC Championship.

Second and third glances confirm that notion.

Of course, with a brand new coaching staff, a new quarterback, and a new defensive scheme, the Chiefs that take the field against Baltimore shouldn’t bear any similarities to the team that sleepwalked through last season’s finale in Cincinnati. But even taking into account the numerous changes made this offseason, has enough really been done to give the Chiefs a shot at pulling off the upset?

Since we have no idea what to expect from the offense or the defense, the easiest way to answer that question might be to look for holes in Baltimore’s game. If any exist, we’llcross our fingers and hope the Chiefs can exploit them.

Why The Chiefs Could Win

For the last decade, the calling card for the Baltimore Ravens has been their defense, which ranked second in the NFL last season. For the Chiefs to have a chance in Week 1, they have to hope the Ravens’ defense isn’t firing on all cylinders.

As slim as the odds are, there might be an outside chance of that happening.

Since the Ravens began operations in 1996, only three coordinators have overseen their their defense – Marvin Lewis, Mike Nolan, and Rex Ryan (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4393806). But with Ryan leaving Baltimore for the New York Jets, the Ravens will have a new defensive general for the first time since 2005.

To get an idea of how the Baltimore defense will fare under new coordinator Greg Mattison (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3203789), we need to look at what happened in the past when the Ravens introduced a new coordinator.

Under Lewis, the team’s first defensive coordinator, the Ravens’ defense thrived and ultimately led the team to a Super Bowl title in 2000. A year later, in Lewis’ final season with the team, Baltimore had the NFL’s second-ranked defense (277.9 yards per game) and ranked fourth in points allowed (16.6 per game).

Although it’s merely a blip on the Ravens’ radar, when Lewis left the team, his replacement Mike Nolan – now in Denver – struggled in his first go-round as coordinator. <table width="225" align="right" cellspacing="7"><tbody><tr><td>http://media.scout.com/media/image/69/692153.jpg
How will the Ravens respond to Mattison?
Rob Carr - AP </td></tr></tbody></table> On Nolan’s watch, the 2002 Ravens fell all the way to 22nd in total defense, allowing over 56 more yards per game than they had the previous year. Their scoring defense dropped to 19th, as they gave up 22.1 points per game – a mark just 2.8 points lower than the infamous ‘02 Chiefs defense allowed that same season.

Nolan eventually found his way and the Ravens rebounded, but there was clearly an adjustment period. However, when Nolan left Baltimore and Ryan took the job, the adjustment was hardly noticeable – the Ravens allowed two more points per game, but actually gave up about 15 fewer yards in each contest.

Perhaps Ryan’s transition was easier because he’d been on Baltimore’s staff for several years as a position coach. By contrast, Nolan had only been with the Ravens for one season.

The good news for the Chiefs is that, when examining those two transition periods, Baltimore’s current circumstance seems to trend closer to the situation with Nolan.

Mattison, the new coordinator, has been part of several successful defenses at the college level, but had never coached in the NFL until he was brought aboard John Harbaugh’s staff last year. Now, much like Nolan, Mattison finds himself running the Ravens’ defense after just one season with the team.

Unlike Nolan, though, this will be Mattison’s first time running an NFL defense. Before Baltimore, Nolan had been a coordinator with the Giants, Redskins, and Jets. Mattison has no previous NFL experience.

The logic of “if it’s not broken, don’t fix it” is often cited in these cases, as all Mattison should need to do is exactly what made the Ravens’ defense so good in the first place. But that same logic would have applied to Nolan in his first year and the Ravens still suffered a setback.

Perhaps the one thing the Chiefs will have going for them in this game is the element of surprise – namely, the fact that no one will know what to expect from their offense under Todd Haley. The Chiefs aren’t the Cardinals, and the Chiefs’ offense of years past has revolved heavily around Tony Gonzalez, so what we see in the opener should be an entirely new attack.

If that attack proves successful, and if it happens to coincide with the Ravens not yet having their feet under them defensively, maybe it will be enough to squeak out a win.

Why The Chiefs Won’t Win

The Ravens had the fourth-ranked rushing offense in 2008, gaining just under 150 yards a game on the ground. The Chiefs defense, on the other hand, went through stretches where it seemed they couldn’t stop an opponent’s running game if their lives depended on it.

The odds of the Chiefs suddenly transforming into run-stoppers in the first game of the season aren’t terribly high. If second-year quarterback Joe Flacco (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3929067) can connect on a few key throws now and then, the Ravens should be able to move the ball without much trouble.

Even if the Chiefs’ offense finds success as discussed above, Baltimore’s strong running game should be able to limit time of possession. It’s just not a good matchup for Kansas City in the opener.

Most Likely Result: Chiefs start the season 0-1.

Fat Elvis
06-30-2009, 06:37 PM
Your avatar has a better chance at being a male model than you.

DaneMcCloud
06-30-2009, 07:49 PM
Without his insight, I wouldn't have known that the Chiefs were going to lose in Week 1.

Deberg_1990
06-30-2009, 07:52 PM
isnt it a little early for this? Wow.

Hammock Parties
06-30-2009, 07:54 PM
isnt it a little early for this? Wow.

Actually, it's the perfect time. When August hits it'll be all training camp and preseason stuff.

BossChief
06-30-2009, 08:22 PM
why we could win

line protects Cassel
Cassel attacks somewhat inexperienced secondary successfully
we stop the run
special teams

why we wont win

we wont consistantly stop the run
we wont be able to pressure Flacco into mistakes
they are better

BarrySPAMAID
06-30-2009, 08:53 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I got a look into week one against the Ravens. Here is the Headline....

MATT CASSEL tells the NFL the CHIEFS ARE GOOD!!! Chiefs return home for revenge from last years home opener.

I aint skeered of Baltimore. Bring em on.

FAX
06-30-2009, 08:56 PM
Why we could win ...

Baltimore looks past us and just forgets the game.
Baltimore forgets their uniforms.
Baltimore forgets their plays.
Baltimore's water supply is tainted with Ebola virus.
Lightning strikes the football just as the Baltimore center hikes the rock to the Baltimore quarterback causing massive damage to the Baltimore center's testicles and permanently fusing the Baltimore quarterback's hands to the Baltimore center's ass.

Why we won't win ...

The game is not canceled.
The rules are pretty much the same as last year.
Doris The Voodoo Queen turns out to be a big liar and a fake.

FAX

Hammock Parties
06-30-2009, 09:04 PM
Baltimore's water supply is tainted with Ebola virus.

This would take too long to take effect.

Halfcan
06-30-2009, 09:11 PM
I think the Ravens just run all over us. The Cheaps will regret not spending ANYTHING this offseason. All that cap room and NO talent brought in.

Ravens 35 Cheaps 0

BossChief
06-30-2009, 09:45 PM
I think the Ravens just run all over us. The Cheaps will regret not spending ANYTHING this offseason. All that cap room and NO talent brought in.

Ravens 35 Cheaps 0
inlayers have to want to come to a 2-14 team, the only ones that did were over 35 and mainly role players that were likely overpaid.

wasnt Zach paid like over 2 million for one year?

Hootie
06-30-2009, 10:37 PM
WPI is really reeling...

Discuss Thrower
06-30-2009, 10:42 PM
Your avatar has a better chance at being a male model than you.

You leave Garak alone!

Titty Meat
06-30-2009, 10:43 PM
We can beat Baltimore. They won't be a good team like last year.

DaneMcCloud
06-30-2009, 10:44 PM

ROFL

And Jay Cutler won a Bowl game in college.

ROFL

Buehler445
06-30-2009, 11:00 PM
Actually, it's the perfect time. When August hits it'll be all training camp and preseason stuff.

Yeah. Because nothing will change between now and then.

A good time for this would be AFTER preseason. Genius.
Posted via Mobile Device

BigRock
06-30-2009, 11:13 PM
Yeah. Because nothing will change between now and then.

A good time for this would be AFTER preseason. Genius.

After preseason they can go "Let's see, has anything changed between now and when we looked at this game? Has any reason surfaced that might suggest we can win? No? OK." Or, if something actually does arise that changes things, they can write about that.

It's all offseason filler crap anyway.

BossChief
06-30-2009, 11:14 PM

Omg

thats some funny shit

Did Ray Lewis get hurt in preseason or something???

Keep it up with posts like this, we all get a laugh now and again.

In a seriosness though, we have as much a chance in this game as last years opener, which we competed and almost won if it werent for butterfingers.

It would be a massive upset, but not impossible.

Ill be there, cheering our boys!

Titty Meat
06-30-2009, 11:44 PM
Omg

thats some funny shit

Did Ray Lewis get hurt in preseason or something???

Keep it up with posts like this, we all get a laugh now and again.

In a seriosness though, we have as much a chance in this game as last years opener, which we competed and almost won if it werent for butterfingers.

It would be a massive upset, but not impossible.

Ill be there, cheering our boys!

Yea becuz teams stay the same each year. Ray Lewis is old dude and Rex Ryan isn't the D-cord. Everyone knows what to expect from Joe Flaaco and they have no play makers on offense.

BossChief
07-01-2009, 12:22 AM
Yea becuz teams stay the same each year. Ray Lewis is old dude and Rex Ryan isn't the D-cord. Everyone knows what to expect from Joe Flaaco and they have no play makers on offense.

Not wantng tp go back and forth with this, but Ray Lewis is to defense what Montana was to offense.

That defense will be great till he hangs em up.

I just dont see us being able to rush on them or stop their rush.

Flacco wont have to do much to sustain drives.

Our defense wont flip flop production with theirs overnight and like it or not, the offenses are comparable but the defenses are the difference.

Them losing Rex Ryan doesnt mean jack shit. Greg Robinson could coach that group of players to a top five defense.

Our only chance is to aim for the throat with the deep pass and keep the ball away from Ed Reed while doing so, and to stop their running attack. WE HAVE TO BE LUCKY TO WIN!!

just my opinion though

Ultra Peanut
07-01-2009, 12:33 AM
imagine a boot stomping on an arrowhead, forever

bringbackmarty
07-01-2009, 04:28 AM
We will probably run the ball some if we win too.
why we could win

line protects Cassel
Cassel attacks somewhat inexperienced secondary successfully
we stop the run
special teams

why we wont win

we wont consistantly stop the run
we wont be able to pressure Flacco into mistakes
they are better

Consistent1
07-01-2009, 04:52 AM
If the Chiefs trade LJ, Waters, Cassel, Bowe and the holy ghost of Gonzalez to the Texans to get Grigsby back, then it is on people.

LaChapelle
07-01-2009, 04:57 AM
WHO THE FUCK IS MICHAEL ASH?

Consistent1
07-01-2009, 05:00 AM
Vrabes will be well rested after using his collective bargaining rights and get like 5 sacks. Book it.

unlurking
07-01-2009, 05:02 AM
Ray Lewis is Brian Waters bitch!

Jethopper
07-01-2009, 05:21 AM
Not wantng tp go back and forth with this, but Ray Lewis is to defense what Montana was to offense.

That defense will be great till he hangs em up.

I just dont see us being able to rush on them or stop their rush.

Flacco wont have to do much to sustain drives.

Our defense wont flip flop production with theirs overnight and like it or not, the offenses are comparable but the defenses are the difference.

Them losing Rex Ryan doesnt mean jack shit. Greg Robinson could coach that group of players to a top five defense.

Our only chance is to aim for the throat with the deep pass and keep the ball away from Ed Reed while doing so, and to stop their running attack. WE HAVE TO BE LUCKY TO WIN!!

just my opinion though

NO! DON'T YOU EVER.......

Kerberos
07-01-2009, 08:49 AM
WHO THE **** IS MICHAEL ASH?

Yet another of the self professed "Guru's" of football knowledge. I take this guy with as big a grain of Salt as Claythan when it comes to predictions or opinions.

chiefzilla1501
07-01-2009, 09:15 AM

I originally thought you were an idiot, but you bring up some interesting points.

There's a lot of things to consider:
-The Ravens moved from Rex Ryan to Greg Mattison, who has spent almost all of his career in the college ranks. I don't think he has any experience running a 3-4 either.
-Joe Flacco and the sophomore slump. I'm still not sold on Flacco, and the second year seems to be the year when QBs struggle most. Defenses know how to scheme them. It happened to Derek Anderson, Drew Brees, several QBs
-Same goes with John Harbaugh. Second-year coaches show their true colors. Remember that Mangini, Sean Payton, and Herm Edwards all went to the playoffs their first season and then had lousy seasons immediately afterward.

I'm not convinced the Ravens are nearly as good as you all say they are.

That being said, the Chiefs won't be able to stop the Ravens on the ground, their offensive line is going to get manhandled, they will never get any yards on the ground with Ngata anchoring that defense, and Cassel's lack of understanding of the new defense will be prominent when Ed Reed reads him like an open book.

The Chiefs lose. But the Ravens are anything but a clear powerhouse, in my opinion.

alpha_omega
07-01-2009, 09:19 AM
When do we get a look at game 2?

DaWolf
07-01-2009, 10:08 AM
We pick off Flacco three times but lose, 16-14...

Fat Elvis
07-01-2009, 11:27 AM
It's (WPI) all crap anyway.

FYP

Titty Meat
07-01-2009, 02:01 PM
I originally thought you were an idiot, but you bring up some interesting points.

There's a lot of things to consider:
-The Ravens moved from Rex Ryan to Greg Mattison, who has spent almost all of his career in the college ranks. I don't think he has any experience running a 3-4 either.
-Joe Flacco and the sophomore slump. I'm still not sold on Flacco, and the second year seems to be the year when QBs struggle most. Defenses know how to scheme them. It happened to Derek Anderson, Drew Brees, several QBs
-Same goes with John Harbaugh. Second-year coaches show their true colors. Remember that Mangini, Sean Payton, and Herm Edwards all went to the playoffs their first season and then had lousy seasons immediately afterward.

I'm not convinced the Ravens are nearly as good as you all say they are.

That being said, the Chiefs won't be able to stop the Ravens on the ground, their offensive line is going to get manhandled, they will never get any yards on the ground with Ngata anchoring that defense, and Cassel's lack of understanding of the new defense will be prominent when Ed Reed reads him like an open book.

The Chiefs lose. But the Ravens are anything but a clear powerhouse, in my opinion.

The Ravens last year were like the 07' Jags. They ran the ball didn't turn it over and played good D. Like I said the Chiefs can win the game it's the NFL not college. I know the Ravens have a different coach but if you look at there record they do really good one season and average other seasons. Put 8-9 guys in the box lets see if Flaaco can beat the Chiefs. Flowers vs Mason & Carr vs Clayton I like those matchups.

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-01-2009, 03:43 PM
Without his insight, I wouldn't have known that the Chiefs were going to lose in Week 1.

This.ROFL

Halfcan
07-01-2009, 03:58 PM
inlayers have to want to come to a 2-14 team, the only ones that did were over 35 and mainly role players that were likely overpaid.

wasnt Zach paid like over 2 million for one year?

I was not Too upset about the Zach deal-he brings a ton of leadership to a part of the team that really needs it-the upside is-he still plays like a beast.

So win win.