PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs ESPN names Pioli "Personnel man of the decade"...

DaWolf
07-02-2009, 12:25 PM
Let's hope he lives up to it this upcoming decade...

Chiefs General Manager Scott Pioli Named "Personnel Man of the Decade" (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2009/07/02/chiefs_general_manager_scott_pioli_named_personnel_man_of_the_decade/)

ESPN.com, with input from NFL coaches and scouts as well as research compiled from the network itself, has released its All-Decade awards as part of a week-long celebration it calls “All-Decade Week.” Among those honored is Kansas City Chiefs General Manager Scott Pioli, who was named “Personnel Man of the Decade” by ESPN’s Matt Mosely, who put together the final list for the all-sports network.

Pioli was named the fifth General Manager in Kansas City Chiefs history by Chairman Clark Hunt on January 13th. Long considered one of the league’s brightest player personnel evaluators, Pioli has justifiably earned a reputation as one of the NFL’s top executives. He joined the Chiefs after serving with the New England Patriots for nine years (2000-08).

The Patriots compiled an NFL-best 102-42 (.708) regular season record, won Super Bowls XXXVI, XXXVIII and XXXIX, claimed the Lamar Hunt Trophy four times as the AFC Champion and won six AFC East titles during his tenure with New England. Pioli is no stranger to awards having been a four-time winner of NFL Executive of the Year honors from various national media outlets. Over the past 17 NFL seasons, teams that Pioli has been associated with have won seven division titles and have made eight playoff appearances, participating in a total of 21 postseason games.

During his time with New England, Pioli worked in close concert with head coach Bill Belichick and helped develop the Patriots into a consistent championship contender. Partnering with head coach Todd Haley in Kansas City, Pioli has embraced a new challenge and is in the midst of developing a comprehensive plan to return the Chiefs to pro football prominence.

Pioli and Belichick’s collaborative efforts over nine seasons in New England resulted in 14 playoff victories, tying the Pittsburgh and Dallas squads of the ‘70s for the most playoff wins by a franchise in a single decade. New England accumulated 11 playoff victories from 2003-07, the highest total by any team over a five-year span in NFL history.

MMXcalibur
07-02-2009, 12:29 PM
Wow, who would have guessed trading Tony Gonzalez and drafting Tyson Jackson was good enough to win you personnel man not just for a year....but for the DECADE!!!!

DeezNutz
07-02-2009, 12:31 PM
You doubt the man of the fucking decade?

Slainte
07-02-2009, 12:35 PM
Carl Peterson never had a dinner.

the Talking Can
07-02-2009, 12:40 PM
too bad he has 3 strikes already....

Otter
07-02-2009, 12:49 PM
Wow, who would have guessed trading Tony Gonzalez and drafting Tyler Jackson was good enough to win you personnel man not just for a year....but for the DECADE!!!!

Especially when neither have have played a single down to determine the outcome.

Goldmember
07-02-2009, 01:23 PM
Thanks for jinxing him you idiots!

JD10367
07-02-2009, 01:33 PM
There are three possibilities.

1.) Belichick was the brains, and Pioli is an idiot.
2.) Pioli was the brains, and Belichick was the idiot.
3.) They both had some input.

I highly doubt the first two are possible. So, chances are, Pioli not only had some substantial impact on the Patriots' success, but that he also gleaned a lot of knowledge from Belichick during that time period, in terms of what kind of players to look for, how to build a team, how to run the organization, etc.,. (And if that's not enough... his father-in-law is Bill Parcells, so I'm sure he's learned a thing or two from him as well.)

Yet people are blasting him already in KC, for some personnel moves, when the Chiefs haven't even taken a snap? (Just like people are ragging on Matt Cassel, who hasn't even taken a snap, and Mike Vrabel, who hasn't even put on pads yet?) Jeez, some people are hard to please... Despite the lack of success in the Chiefs' recent history, some of you are pickier than that Claythan dude is with women. :)

LaChapelle
07-02-2009, 01:35 PM
Wow, who would have guessed trading Tony Gonzalez and drafting Tyson Jackson was good enough to win you personnel man not just for a year....but for the DECADE!!!!

Cool. McDaniels is a complete idiot and trading a second for Cassel is still in question.

orange
07-02-2009, 03:07 PM
There are three possibilities.

1.) Belichick was the brains, and Pioli is an idiot.
2.) Pioli was the brains, and Belichick was the idiot.
3.) They both had some input.

There's a fourth possibility - call it the Simon and Garfunkle option.
They needed each other and neither will ever achieve the same heights on their own.

... and a fifth - call it Lennon and McCartney.
The rest of the organization was no small potatoes, either.

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-02-2009, 03:11 PM
The Chiefs had nothing to do with this.

Christofire
07-02-2009, 03:25 PM
The Chiefs had nothing to do with this.

I'm with ROR on this. It's great that my fave team's GM won the award, but I'll save my gushing-with-pride moment for when he achieves some of those same things with the Chiefs.

JD10367
07-02-2009, 03:30 PM
There's a fourth possibility - call it the Simon and Garfunkle option.
They needed each other and neither will ever achieve the same heights on their own.

Belichick had already defensive-coordinated two Super Bowl winners in New York, though.

... and a fifth - call it Lennon and McCartney.
The rest of the organization was no small potatoes, either.

I do think Harrison is underrated. Ringo was a pretty mediocre drummer, though.

Fish
07-02-2009, 03:35 PM
If you want to crown his ass then crown him! He is who we thought he was!

Mr. Krab
07-02-2009, 03:38 PM
Let's hope so.

the Talking Can
07-02-2009, 03:38 PM
Pioli just got lucky. He actually sucks and Denver is going to win the World title this year based solely on the strength of their poster's abilities to cut and paste news articles.

FAX
07-02-2009, 03:42 PM
Very cool. In 10 years, he'll win General Manger Of A Double Decade Or One Fifth Of A Hundy Or Two Decades Smack Dab In A Row Or 260-Odd Fortnights!!!

FAX

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-02-2009, 03:43 PM

LMAO

JD10367
07-02-2009, 05:04 PM

You GENERAL MANAGE to WIN the GAME!

orange
07-02-2009, 05:11 PM
You GENERAL MANAGE to WIN the GAME!

You're catching on. :clap:

Ultra Peanut
07-02-2009, 05:31 PM
That is a silly thing.

88TG88
07-02-2009, 08:18 PM
too bad he has 3 strikes already....

Whatever happened to Hamas anyways.

Ultra Peanut
07-02-2009, 08:49 PM
Whatever happened to Hamas anyways.He said, and I quote, "fuck this planet" right before pressing a button that slaughtered 15 racist construction workers. Then he flipped everyone off and rockets shot out of his ass as he flew to the moon and started a utopian society.

One day, he will come back for the faithful.

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-02-2009, 08:59 PM
He said, and I quote, "fuck this planet" right before pressing a button that slaughtered 15 racist construction workers. Then he flipped everyone off and rockets shot out of his ass as he flew to the moon and started a utopian society.

One day, he will come back for the faithful.

I was gonna' say, "He became a better man than me", but your take will work too.:D

FAX
07-02-2009, 10:16 PM
Not really. His hours were changed and he's working the midnight shift. WalMart shoppers want that produce on the shelf bright and early.

FAX