PDA

View Full Version : Football Rumors fly that Brandon Marshall is broke

Quesadilla Joe
07-03-2009, 12:02 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/07/03/rumors-fly-that-brandon-marshall-is-broke/
Posted by Mike Florio on July 3, 2009 1:28 PM

Receiver Brandon Marshall's ongoing desire to leave Denver is rooted in two concerns. First, he doesn't like the manner in which the team's physicians handled a hip injury that ultimately required surgery. Second, he wants a new contract.

The more accurate description as to the latter factor could be that he needs a new contract.

There's talk in league circles that Marshall has run out of money. If that's true, at least one league source isn't surprised.

"Why does a guy who was a fourth-round draft pick live in three different places?" the source said regarding Marshall's residences in Denver, Atlanta, and Orlando.

Frankly, we find it hard to believe that Marshall is facing money troubles, if in fact he is (and we're not reporting that he is -- we're only saying that some league insiders think that he is). After pocketing a signing bonus of $420,000 in 2006, Marshall earned a base salary of $275,000 as a rookie, a base salary of $360,000 in 2007, and a base salary of $445,000 in 2008 (less two game checks, one for a suspension and one for a fine). Also, because of his stellar performances to date in his career, escalators in Marshall's rookie deal have pushed his 2009 salary to $2.198 million.

Of course, Marshall likely will be able to easily afford those three houses -- and more -- once he gets paid like the elite receiver he is. But it's not going to happen soon, unless someone blows the Broncos away with a trade offer.

Our pal Adam Schefter thinks the Broncos wouldn't say "no" to a first-round draft pick. But we think it would take more than that to get the Broncos to give Marshall a one-way ticket out of the "f--king city" he supposedly hates.

If Marshall isn't traded, he likely won't be getting a big-money deal in the near future. As we understand it, the Broncos don't plan to devote any more cash to the 2009 edition of the team, likely due to a lingering bad economy and concerns previously stated by owner Pat Bowlen regarding the current player-compensation system under the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Bottom line? If Brandon really is broke, he might want to consider getting a short-term loan. After all, he'll make plenty of money once the season starts, and a huge payday is looming.

Of course, if he can't scare up any cash (if he in fact is running out of it), there's always bankruptcy.

In the end, it might be the best way for Marshall to keep his Ms. Pacman video game, if like Mike Vick he actually owns one.[/QUOTE]

Quesadilla Joe
07-03-2009, 12:02 PM
I guess it is all about money :hmmm:

Just Passin' By
07-03-2009, 12:17 PM
I'm not sure that "Marshall is too stupid to be trusted with his money" is any better than "Marshall doesn't like Denver".

That's just me, though. Your mileage may vary.

Bwana
07-03-2009, 12:41 PM
Please keep him for years to come donks! The donks off-season has been priceless.

bdeg
07-03-2009, 01:00 PM
Bottom line? If Brandon really is broke, he might want to consider getting a short-term loan. After all, he'll make plenty of money once the season starts, and a huge payday is looming.
my dad once worked with a banker who loaned a bunch of money to pacman jones... from iowa. dude ended up being a crook, who'da guessed.

wild1
07-03-2009, 01:27 PM
Three different homes and the lifestyle he leads, it's not hard to believe at all that he's blown through all of the $2-3 million he's made in his career.

I wonder how many of these guys who live the 10 cadillac lifestyle end up being old and broke.

Ebolapox
07-03-2009, 01:49 PM
Three different homes and the lifestyle he leads, it's not hard to believe at all that he's blown through all of the $2-3 million he's made in his career.

I wonder how many of these guys who live the 10 cadillac lifestyle end up being old and broke.

more than you'd guess. there's a reason they make the rookies sit through the 'rookie emporium' that deplores them to be thrifty financially and not to go around with the wrong crowd.

unfortunately, how many of them really listen? that's the issue with giving that kinda jack to 'kids that age. I'm 26 and completely responsible, but how many of us could really handle that kinda money at that age regardless of how responsible we are now?

it's sad, though.

stumppy
07-03-2009, 02:02 PM
Please keep him for years to come donks! The donks off-season has been priceless.

I'll second that. I can't remember a more enjoyable off season.

LaChapelle
07-03-2009, 02:18 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/07/03/rumors-fly-that-brandon-marshall-is-broke/
Posted by Mike Florio on July 3, 2009 1:28 PM

"If Marshall isn't traded, he likely won't be getting a big-money deal in the near future. As we understand it, the Broncos don't plan to devote any more cash to the 2009 edition of the team, likely due to a lingering bad economy and concerns previously stated by owner Pat Bowlen regarding the current player-compensation system under the Collective Bargaining Agreement.[/QUOTE]

Yes, that deal with the networks was chump change.

HonestChieffan
07-03-2009, 02:32 PM
Demand for Donk tickets at whineandcheese stadium may be a bit soft...

LaChapelle
07-03-2009, 02:45 PM
Maybe some good will come of the bad economy and greed will give way to common sense. The stands can be filled with people who love football, instead of people who are there because it's a place to be seen. I wouldn't wager a found slug nickle on that happening.

Halfcan
07-03-2009, 04:25 PM

:clap: yep every week it is some new embarrassing situation.

dumm cheatin donks

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-03-2009, 06:42 PM
:clap: yep every week it is some new embarrassing situation.

dumm cheatin donks

Payback is a bitch!:D

Just Passin' By
07-03-2009, 07:00 PM
Maybe some good will come of the bad economy and greed will give way to common sense. The stands can be filled with people who love football, instead of people who are there because it's a place to be seen. I wouldn't wager a found slug nickle on that happening.

Smart call, whatever the hell a slug nickle may be.

ClevelandBronco
07-03-2009, 07:28 PM
Asshole receiver for sale...

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-03-2009, 07:43 PM
Asshole receiver for sale...

ROFL Pass; we're waiting for the full-on House Liquidation Sale.

RNR
07-03-2009, 08:00 PM
more than you'd guess. there's a reason they make the rookies sit through the 'rookie emporium' that deplores them to be thrifty financially and not to go around with the wrong crowd.

unfortunately, how many of them really listen? that's the issue with giving that kinda jack to 'kids that age. I'm 26 and completely responsible, but how many of us could really handle that kinda money at that age regardless of how responsible we are now?

it's sad, though.

When I was younger before I got married and had kids I was pretty wild. I have joked before had someone handed me the coin they throw at these kids while I was still young and wild....America would not have a drug problem because I would have done every god damn one of them

Braincase
07-03-2009, 10:07 PM
Somewhere off the coast of Cabo San Lucas, Mike Shanahan is laughing his ass off in a fighting chair, reeling in bigger fish.

ClevelandBronco
07-03-2009, 10:09 PM
Somewhere off the coast of Cabo San Lucas, Mike Shanahan is laughing his ass off in a fighting chair, reeling in bigger fish.

Bein' rich...

She a bitch.

ClevelandBronco
07-03-2009, 10:15 PM
PENALTY, you freaking amateurs.

ClevelandBronco
07-03-2009, 10:17 PM
I'm the only guy watching this game, eh?

ClevelandBronco
07-03-2009, 10:19 PM
Huge sack by Banks...

ClevelandBronco
07-03-2009, 10:24 PM
Lions going down.

Fuck BC because, hey, fuck the Canucks (That's a hockey team for you unfortunates from KC).