PDA

View Full Version : Life What’s Wrong With Binge Drinking?

Hammock Parties
07-10-2009, 05:39 PM
http://www.watchtower.org/e/20040922a/article_01.htm

http://www.watchtower.org/images/20040922a/13_02.jpg

http://www.watchtower.org/images/20040922a/15.jpg

“Even though we had been drinking for several hours, my friend and I left the party at 1:00 a.m. with our own bottle of whiskey. We started walking home—drinking as we walked. The next thing I remember was the sun coming up, and I realized that we had been walking the wrong way. In fact, we had been walking along a major highway. It’s a miracle that we didn’t get hit.”—Clay.*

BINGE DRINKING. Some define it as simply drinking to get drunk. A report by the U.S. National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism tried to be more specific. It said that binge drinking is “typically defined as consuming five or more drinks in a row for men, and four or more drinks in a row for women.”

Health officials in the United States call binge drinking “a major public health problem.” According to a study of secondary-school children in England, Scotland, and Wales, “up to a quarter of 13 and 14-year-olds claimed to have ‘downed’ at least five alcoholic drinks in a single session.” About half of all 15- and 16-year-olds surveyed said they had done the same.

In one U.S. study, 2 out of 5 college students had engaged in binge drinking at least once during the two weeks prior to the survey. According to the U.S. Department of Health, “about 10.4 million adolescents ages 12 to 20 reported using alcohol. Of those, 5.1 million were binge drinkers and included 2.3 million heavy drinkers who binged at least five times a month.” A study done in Australia revealed that more girls than boys in that land binge drink—consuming between 13 and 30 drinks a session!

Much of this drinking takes place at the urging of other youths. Reports researcher Carol Falkowski: “New and daring drinking games flourish: group activities with the goal of drinking alcohol to intoxication. Some, for example, require all players to drink a shot of distilled spirits at a specified moment of a TV show or group conversation.”

Binge Drinking—The Dangers

While heavy drinking may be considered a game to some, it is a very dangerous game! Excessive amounts of alcohol deprive the brain of oxygen; vital bodily functions can begin to shut down. Symptoms may include vomiting, unconsciousness, and slow or irregular breathing. In some cases death can result. About a month after graduating from high school, 17-year-old Kim went to an “all-you-can-drink” party. Kim consumed 17 drinks before passing out. Her older sister then came and took Kim home. The next morning, Kim’s mother found her dead.

Overdrinking may rarely cause death directly, but it still poses a health threat. “Alcohol can raise havoc with any organ in your body,” says mental-health expert Jerome Levin. “Alcohol’s favorite targets are the nervous system, the liver, and the heart.” Says an article in Discover magazine: “New research suggests that young drinkers are courting danger. Because their brains are still developing well into their twenties, teens who drink excessively may be destroying significant amounts of mental capacity.” Chronic alcohol consumption is also associated with increased acne, premature wrinkling of the skin, weight gain, damage to internal organs, alcohol dependency, and drug addiction.

There are other dangers associated with overdrinking. If you become drunk, you may be vulnerable to mistreatment. You can become the victim of physical assault or even rape. At the same time, you might well be a danger to others, engaging in out-of-control forms of behavior that you would not even consider if sober. The Bible thus warns that if you overdrink, “your own eyes will see strange things, and your own heart will speak perverse things.” (Proverbs 23:33) Painful consequences can include ruined friendships, poor performance at school and work, a criminal record, and poverty.#—Proverbs 23:21.

The Pressure to Drink

Despite such dangers, alcohol is heavily promoted and readily available in many lands. In fact, drinking alcohol is glamorized in TV and magazine advertisements. More often, though, young people succumb to binge drinking as a result of peer pressure.

In an alcohol awareness survey taken in Australia, 36 percent of the young ones questioned said that they drank primarily “to fit in at social activities.” In the chaotic atmosphere of a “beer bash,” an otherwise shy person can become the life of the party as his peers urge him to down drink after drink. Young Katie was brought home in a coma after doing so. Her “friend” had given her alcohol, saying: “Come on, Katie, you’re a big girl now. You should learn to chug it.”

The desire to have a good time and to fit in with others is so powerful that despite compelling evidence that binge drinking is dangerous, it continues to be popular.

What Choice Will You Make?

The questions arise: What choices will you make when it comes to drinking? Will you simply follow your peers? Remember what the Bible says at Romans 6:16: “Do you not know that if you keep presenting yourselves to anyone as slaves to obey him, you are slaves of him because you obey him?” If you let your peers control your every move, you become nothing more than a slave to them. The Bible urges you to think for yourself. (Proverbs 1:4) It contains advice that can help you to avoid making serious mistakes. Consider what it has to say about alcohol.

Actually, the Bible does not condemn drinking alcohol, nor is it against young people having a good time. However, it does warn against overdrinking. “Wine is a ridiculer, intoxicating liquor is boisterous, and everyone going astray by it is not wise,” says Proverbs 20:1. Yes, alcohol can make one act in a ridiculous and loud way! True, it may momentarily bring you pleasure, but if you overindulge, it “bites just like a serpent,” leaving you with a host of physical and emotional injuries.—Proverbs 23:32.

Something else to consider is that in many countries there is a minimum age for drinking alcohol. Christians obey such laws. (Titus 3:1) They are there to protect you.

Finally, and most important, consider the spiritual damage overdrinking can cause. Jehovah God wants you to serve him with “your whole mind”—not a mind needlessly damaged by overindulgence in alcohol! (Matthew 22:37) God’s Word condemns not only “excesses with wine” but also “drinking matches.” (1 Peter 4:3) Engaging in binge drinking is therefore counter to the will of our Creator. Such excess can prevent one from enjoying a close relationship with God.

What should you do if binge drinking has caught you in its snare? Get help immediately by speaking to a parent or a mature Christian.% Go to Jehovah God in prayer and beg for his help. After all, he is “a help that is readily to be found during distresses.” (Psalm 46:1) Since binge drinking and underage drinking often result from peer pressure, you may need to make substantial changes in your choice of friends and entertainment. Making such changes will not be easy, but with Jehovah’s help you can succeed.

Baby Lee
07-10-2009, 05:42 PM
“Alcohol’s favorite targets are the nervous system, the liver, and the heart.”

Anthropomorphizing is an anathema.

Hammock Parties
07-10-2009, 05:42 PM
“Alcohol can raise havoc with any organ in your body,”

Including your penis. Boy.

pr_capone
07-10-2009, 05:49 PM
I'm telling you... you are still hung up on this shit.

I don't put you on ignore because 60% of what you post is worth reading.

Then there is trash like this.

YOU HAVE NOT BEEN ONE OF JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES FOR A LONG TIME NOW... christ, you were barely one at all. Your parents were and you were just along for the ride.

There is another forum full of ex-jws where they will eat your act up...

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/

go there an enjoy yourself.

Hammock Parties
07-10-2009, 05:49 PM
I'm telling you... you are still hung up on this shit.

I know! These threads are fun.

pr_capone
07-10-2009, 05:52 PM
I know! These threads are fun.

Why?

Why are these threads fun for you?

All they do for me is remind me of the shit life I used to have and piss me off.

Do you hope to expose them as liars to the people on this board?

Whats your angle?

Hammock Parties
07-10-2009, 05:54 PM
Why?

The responses are entertaining. It's also entertaining watching YOU fly off the handle.

Fairplay
07-10-2009, 05:55 PM
I knew this lady who got drunk a lot, she died by going down the wrong entrance onto a highway. (Going the wrong way on a one way highway.)

pr_capone
07-10-2009, 05:56 PM
The responses are entertaining. It's also entertaining watching YOU fly off the handle.

Then you are just a dick.

The 60% is not worth it.

cheers

acesn8s
Hitting the floor.

Hologide
Nothing wrong with binge drinking. Technically, i've "binge drinked" tonight. As long as nobody hurts anyone there's no problem.

SAUTO

Whats your angle?

uuummmmm, he's a dumb ass?

Phobia
07-10-2009, 05:59 PM
Then you are just a dick.

The 60% is not worth it.

cheers

Yeah - did it myself a couple days ago. But it's more like 20% anyway. No great loss.

Hammock Parties
07-10-2009, 06:01 PM
Yeah - did it myself a couple days ago. But it's more like 20% anyway. No great loss.

Uh-oh! Look out! Phil is riding high again!

http://thewwhdfiles.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/high_horse.jpg

Hog's Gone Fishin
07-10-2009, 06:24 PM
I've binge drank nearly every night for 30 years but haven't had a drink in two weeks.

Quit cold turkey. Lost 25 pounds in 14 days and I feel GOOOOOOOD!

MahiMike
07-10-2009, 07:12 PM
It depends on what brand of "Binge" you're drinking!

Mr. Plow
07-10-2009, 07:20 PM
Nothing wrong with binge drinking. Technically, i've "binge drinked" tonight. As long as nobody hurts anyone there's no problem.

At 6:56pm you've already had more than 5 drinks?

Mr. Flopnuts
07-10-2009, 07:24 PM
At 6:56pm you've already had more than 5 drinks?

His location would indicate it was much later than 6:56pm. Probably 11pm.

Mr. Plow
07-10-2009, 07:56 PM
His location would indicate it was much later than 6:56pm. Probably 11pm.

ROFL

It would help if I saw that BEFORE my comment.

KCChiefsMan
07-11-2009, 12:10 AM
every time I drink, I binge drink. I can't just have 1 or 2, or 3. I just get a headache and want to go to bed

Hammock Parties
07-11-2009, 12:11 AM
I just get a headache and want to go to bed

That's Jehovah telling you he loves you.