PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports What Do You Do After A Horrible Round of Golf?

Discuss Thrower
07-18-2009, 08:38 PM
Playing in a two-man team best ball with my dad this weekend and today's opening round was horrible. I didn't finish three holes in a row on the front 9, and an additional 3 on the back. My drives have been inconsistent all summer, and even when I played conservative and teed off with an iron I duffed it into high grass. My thought on every swing was just place a smooth and slow shot, but it wasn't working.

Technicalities aside, wtf do I do? Get drunk (not enough beer in the fridge). Get laid? (Fat chance) Watch TinCup or Caddyshack? (watched the former last night) Or do I just preoccupy my mind with something else on every shot tomorrow?

as with all of my other threads...

DISCUS

hawkchief
07-18-2009, 08:50 PM
Take two weeks off - then quit.

crazycoffey
I wish I could be golfing instead, but anyway, I'd pretty much do what I always do after golf, eat something, have a few drinks and try to nail my girlfriend....
Posted via Mobile Device

Hammock Parties
Run on a golf course and piss off old ladies.

WilliamTheIrish
07-18-2009, 08:51 PM
Threaten my clubs. Turn them into bicycle spokes. That kind of thing.

Micjones
07-18-2009, 08:53 PM
Turn off the PS2 and vow never to play PGA Tour again.
:D

chiefzilla1501
07-18-2009, 09:03 PM
Jerk off. With a five iron. It doesn't have to make sense.

RJ
07-18-2009, 09:09 PM
I quit for two years. That certainly helped my disposition toward the game. It doesn't piss me off these days.

Barring that, go buy some more beer.

Or a new driver.

But the beer is a lot cheaper.

Crashride
07-18-2009, 09:11 PM
I just remember that not even tiger woods has perfected the game

Chaunceythe3rd
07-18-2009, 09:21 PM
Why the anguish at a sport at which you have no proficiency? Try something at which you excel. Life is too short for this type of frustration. Do you get frustrated at activities often?

The positive side is that you got to spend some quality time with your dad and that he has some great stories to tell his friends, at your expense, about his noodnik son who couldn't hit a fairway with a shotgun. The negative side is that he will always view you in light of your lack of talent at a father-son activity and his shame at your failure. But that is what Dads are for. To love you and hold you dear in spite of your failings.

Discuss Thrower
07-18-2009, 09:21 PM
Jerk off. With a five iron. It doesn't have to make sense.

Do I hold the 5-iron with my off hand whilst stroking, jerk off by rubbing the 5-iron against my junk, or just slap the ham as I look at the 5-iron?

teedubya
07-18-2009, 09:24 PM
dude, its gonna be a beautiful day tomorrow... just enjoy it! have fun with your dad... don't worry about being awesome... just do your best, and have fun.

Fuck it.

Discuss Thrower
07-18-2009, 09:26 PM
Why the anguish at a sport at which you have no proficiency? Try something at which you excel. Life is too short for this type of frustration. Do you get frustrated at activities often?

The positive side is that you got to spend some quality time with your dad and that he has some great stories to tell his friends, at your expense, about his noodnik son who couldn't hit a fairway with a shotgun. The negative side is that he will always view you in light of your lack of talent at a father-son activity and his shame at your failure. But that is what Dads are for. To love you and hold you dear in spite of your failings.

For the sake of warranting a double post, my dad watched when I played in the MSHSAA state tournament two years ago... Where I went all TinCup / stupid and replayed my ball from the spot of my hit instead of dropping on the line it went into a lateral hazard. Dad took the team out to dinner that night and he compared my game to 9/11 in that he saw himself as an air traffic controller watching the planes hit the Twin Towers: He knew shit was all wrong but he couldn't do jack about it. Needless to say that got a sick laugh from my teammates.

And I play this frustrating game because it's worth the frustration when you are able to manipulate that pissant white ball into doing what you want it to do, even if it is to a marginal degree. That and last week I played 36 holes in one day from the championship tees (I'll get the slope for anyone who asks for it to gauge its difficulty) and on my first round of 18, I scored a career best 86 without handicap.

WilliamTheIrish
07-18-2009, 09:26 PM
Ari's got it right. I haven't played much all summer, but tomorrow, with my brothers and 4 other friends, it's going to be smiles, jokes, cussing and then watching the final round of The Open.

Skip Towne
07-18-2009, 09:34 PM
Ari's got it right. I haven't played much all summer, but tomorrow, with my brothers and 4 other friends, it's going to be smiles, jokes, cussing and then watching the final round of The Open.

You're going to play a 13 some?

WilliamTheIrish
07-18-2009, 09:37 PM
You're going to play a 13 some?

Only 4 brothers will be there. So it'll be two foursome's or one big gangsome. But they won't let us do the gangsome.

Skip Towne
07-18-2009, 09:40 PM
You get proficient at golf the same way you get to Carnegie Hall. Practice, practice, practice. Each pro you see on the tee at Turnberry has hit thousands of practice balls. There is no secret to good golf. Just hours and hours of practice.

Discuss Thrower
07-18-2009, 09:43 PM
You get proficient at golf the same way you get to Carnegie Hall. Practice, practice, practice. Each pro you see on the tee at Turnberry has hit thousands of practice balls. There is no secret to good golf. Just hours and hours of practice.

Yes, and that takes care of the technical part of it. I'm inquiring into to the mental part of it, given that I'm doing everything "right" as it pertains to my game yet things aren't working.

PHOG
07-18-2009, 09:44 PM
I would say watch the pros tomorrow hack it out of the kneehigh grass all day and laugh and realize it's the time spent with friends and/or family that really counts.....

naaah, fuck that

Skip Towne
07-18-2009, 09:46 PM
Yes, and that takes care of the technical part of it. I'm inquiring into to the mental part of it, given that I'm doing everything "right" as it pertains to my game yet things aren't working.

If you aren't shooting near par you aren't doing everything right. Have you hit thousands of practice balls?

Braincase
07-18-2009, 09:48 PM
Focus on enjoying time with your dad, screw the golf. My dad had back surgery years ago and hasn't been able to play since. Some guys would do just about anything to spend a good five minutes with their dad.

The time with family is all that's really important.

Scorp
07-18-2009, 09:54 PM
I shoot a 90-100 depending on the day, and just have fun. I used to get pissed but as a friend once told me, "Dude.......you are not good enough to be pissed off."(words of wisdom)

Skip Towne
07-18-2009, 09:55 PM
I just remember that not even tiger woods has perfected the game

He's a hell of a lot closer than everyone else.

PastorMikH
07-18-2009, 09:59 PM
Focus on what I'm doing right, keep doing it. Figure out what I'm doing wrong and quit doing it. Then go back out and play again.

Dr told me a while back he wanted me to walk the course at least 3x a week. I can have a really bad round then a day or two later shoot great. I've learned a bit playing this much.

I have found the #1 reason why I golf bad is because of attitude. If I get upset because I play bad, I play worse. If I put it behind me, calm down and relax, I can pull it out. For example, one round last week I had +1 P P +4 P. The +4 I hit a drive into the river, had to take drop, was frustrated first off that I had to take a penalty stroke, then had to play a drop on a slope. Hit the ball, missed green to the right, ball rolled down the hill and past the cart path. Frustrated, I reached for the SW and didn't check the club until after I sent the ball over the green. Walking away from the green I decided to take a few min to relax and compose myself, shot par on the next hole. Had I relaxed after the OB, I wouldn't have taken a +4.

07-18-2009, 10:02 PM
Define horrible round. Every round is a horrible round for me except for the one or two really great shots I might achieve.

Pioli Zombie
07-18-2009, 10:08 PM
Masturbate in the middle of the gift shop.
Posted via Mobile Device

Skip Towne
07-18-2009, 10:13 PM
Define horrible round. Every round is a horrible round for me except for the one or two really great shots I might achieve.

Those few good shots are what keeps you coming back. To increase the frequency of the good shots you simply have to hit a lot of practice balls. There is no"secret" like you read about in golf magazines. After Watson finished his round today, he was filmed out on the practice tee hitting more practice balls. All of the pros do it. They have all hit a million practice balls.. There is no secret as far as I know.

Discuss Thrower
07-18-2009, 10:14 PM
I shoot a 90-100 depending on the day, and just have fun. I used to get pissed but as a friend once told me, "Dude.......you are not good enough to be pissed off."(words of wisdom)

Pissed off isn't necessarily a bad thing. Being pissed off can impel you into a search for improvement in your game. The variation on that quote I personally hold to is
"You're not good enough to throw those clubs". That quote, coupled on my experience on breaking the same club (twice) has lead me to never chuck my wickets.. Outside of the tee shot released follow through, seeing as it makes sense to me to just drop your club as you watch your ball sail out of bounds.

PastorMikH
07-18-2009, 10:31 PM

Seriously, talk to a golf instructor. It's amazing how a few tips can make a huge difference. Our local guy charges $20 for 30-45 minutes worth of instruction. Since I'm a member and out there regularly, he will take time occasionally to just watch me on the practice tees and give a few pointers for free. Courses in bigger cities may cost more, but think about it, if you could buy a driver that cost $500, but it was guaranteed to change your game, would you buy it? Amazing how people will spend $$$$ on more clubs hoping to overcome their poor swing mechanics but don't talk to an instructor that can help them hit any club better.

PastorMikH
07-18-2009, 10:36 PM
Those few good shots are what keeps you coming back. To increase the frequency of the good shots you simply have to hit a lot of practice balls. There is no"secret" like you read about in golf magazines. After Watson finished his round today, he was filmed out on the practice tee hitting more practice balls. All of the pros do it. They have all hit a million practice balls.. There is no secret as far as I know.

It amazes me how many people will spend a lot of time on the driving range but don't go to the putting green. Usually a person only uses their driver 12-14 times a round, but half the strokes on a course are putts.

Bwana
07-19-2009, 06:56 AM
I play golf on average of once every 7 years. I know I am going to suck at it, so it's one sport I don't take seriously. I just try to avoid killing someone with a golf ball during the round and enjoy a beer of two along the way.

Shag
07-19-2009, 08:46 AM
It amazes me how many people will spend a lot of time on the driving range but don't go to the putting green. Usually a person only uses their driver 12-14 times a round, but half the strokes on a course are putts.

Because the putting green is boring. :D

It's true, though. Spend as much time putting/chipping as you do on full swings, and you'll see a definite improvement in score...

Old Dog
07-19-2009, 08:49 AM
Be thankful that you got to spend some quality time with your Dad. One of these days, he may not be around.

Saccopoo
07-19-2009, 12:39 PM
Golf is a stupid "sport." The only reason it's popular is that even fat, lazy, drunk schmucks can be relatively proficient at it without so much as a lesson. And it makes people think that they are all "high-brow" with their $450 driver that they just bought at a 50% off sale and their cartoonish golf outfits that are akin to yuppie Harley Sunday riders and kids at Halloween. That is, until the guy in cutoffs, a tank top and a mullet golfs past you at par or under. Then you feel like an utter and complete failure at golf and life in general.

Skip Towne
07-19-2009, 12:42 PM
Golf is a stupid "sport." The only reason it's popular is that even fat, lazy, drunk schmucks can be relatively proficient at it without so much as a lesson. And it makes people think that they are all "high-brow" with their $450 driver that they just bought at a 50% off sale and their cartoonish golf outfits that are akin to yuppie Harley Sunday riders and kids at Halloween. That is, until the guy in cutoffs, a tank top and a mullet golfs past you at par or under. Then you feel like an utter and complete failure at golf and life in general.

You can't play, huh?

07-19-2009, 12:45 PM
Seriously, talk to a golf instructor. It's amazing how a few tips can make a huge difference. Our local guy charges $20 for 30-45 minutes worth of instruction. Since I'm a member and out there regularly, he will take time occasionally to just watch me on the practice tees and give a few pointers for free. Courses in bigger cities may cost more, but think about it, if you could buy a driver that cost $500, but it was guaranteed to change your game, would you buy it? Amazing how people will spend $$$$ on more clubs hoping to overcome their poor swing mechanics but don't talk to an instructor that can help them hit any club better.I pay $29 per month for unlimited golf on 4 topeka courses and still only find time to get out maybe once every couple weeks. I won't waste money on instruction or range balls unless I can get out every week. If I am getting out every week I am already improving my game because I keep coming back. heh

At this point though, I can't justify the expense. I don't even keep score. I just try to get to the green which isn't easy.

It amazes me how many people will spend a lot of time on the driving range but don't go to the putting green. Usually a person only uses their driver 12-14 times a round, but half the strokes on a course are putts.I'll worry about putting after I can get to the green on a par 5 in 5 strokes or under.

Saccopoo
07-19-2009, 12:50 PM
You can't play, huh?

I was on the varsity team as a freshman and have been swinging clubs since I was ten. However, I can't play with the links stuffed chock full of stupid, idiotic, cart riding dildos who blather profusely about which ding dong on the pro circuit is doing what, where, when, etc. ad naseum. You know, the dorks who wear Callaway hats and Titlest shirts to public places and who keep running tabs on what equipment endorsements the 137th ranked dude on the PGA has.

Basically, I used to like golf. Golf before Tiger anyway.

07-19-2009, 12:55 PM
I was on the varsity team as a freshman and have been swinging clubs since I was ten. However, I can't play with the links stuffed chock full of stupid, idiotic, cart riding dildos who blather profusely about which ding dong on the pro circuit is doing what, where, when, etc. ad naseum. You know, the dorks who wear Callaway hats and Titlest shirts to public places and who keep running tabs on what equipment endorsements the 137th ranked dude on the PGA has.

Basically, I used to like golf. Golf before Tiger anyway.What do you do, golf right up their asses? I'm never close enough to the other parties out there to ever hear what they are saying.

I'm right here with ya on the carts though. I feel like I am cheating somehow if I ride in a cart.

RJ
07-19-2009, 12:57 PM

Basically, I used to like golf. Golf before Tiger anyway.

So I take it you gave up the game?

RJ
07-19-2009, 12:59 PM
I pay $29 per month for unlimited golf on 4 topeka courses

That's a helluva deal. I'd probably play more often if there were prices like that available here. As it is, I'm usually looking at a minimum of $50 a round.

Saccopoo
07-19-2009, 01:10 PM
So I take it you gave up the game?

Pretty much.

Saccopoo
07-19-2009, 01:17 PM
What do you do, golf right up their asses? I'm never close enough to the other parties out there to ever hear what they are saying.

I'm right here with ya on the carts though. I feel like I am cheating somehow if I ride in a cart.

It's not on the course that I have to suffer the folly of golf noob fools. It's at the bar, in the grocery store, at dinner parties, etc. I mean, Christ - leave it at the goddamn course for crying out loud. Quit living it like you are actually a lifetime, founding member of the PGA and there isn't anything else in the universe that doesn't exist other than golf, golf equipment and golf games - after the links. Shit. Arnold Palmer and Jack Nicklaus don't talk golf half as much as these neo-Tiger douchebags.

And carts are for pussies.

07-19-2009, 01:33 PM
That's a helluva deal. I'd probably play more often if there were prices like that available here. As it is, I'm usually looking at a minimum of $50 a round.That includes a swimming pool at two different courses and fitness facilities at three. It was a monster deal for a family of 6. I figure, as long as my wife is using the pool and fitness facilities my lack of getting out every week is less of a problem. That will change when school is back in session. I'll be able to go out every monday morning for a full 18 instead of only 9 which is all I have time for right now.

"Bob" Dobbs
07-19-2009, 01:33 PM
I always try to shove my putter under the windmill. Then I drop the ball into the clown's mouth for a free game.

morphius
07-19-2009, 01:49 PM
I'm still trying to figure out what I would do if I had a good round.

Actually I have really low expectations, and occasional can't even meet those. I just go out for the fun and to try and get a little better.

07-19-2009, 01:58 PM
I'm still trying to figure out what I would do if I had a good round.

Actually I have really low expectations, and occasional can't even meet those. I just go out for the fun and to try and get a little better.this

err, what he said:D

Skip Towne
07-19-2009, 02:12 PM
Do you throw the discus while you golf?

stumppy
07-19-2009, 02:18 PM
Do you throw the discus while you golf?

Maybe the new cool thing on boards is to write the name of some obscure piece of athletic equiptment in big bold letters et the end of every post ???

MALLET

JuicesFlowing
07-19-2009, 02:33 PM
Technicalities aside, wtf do I do? Get drunk (not enough beer in the fridge). Get laid? (Fat chance) Watch TinCup or Caddyshack? (watched the former last night) Or do I just preoccupy my mind with something else on every shot tomorrow?

as with all of my other threads...

DISCUS

Go buy more.

Discuss Thrower
07-19-2009, 02:45 PM
Maybe the new cool thing on boards is to write the name of some obscure piece of athletic equiptment in big bold letters et the end of every post ???

MALLET

Is there a word that is synonymous with dialogue that can be misspelled as "mallet" ?

CoMoChief
07-19-2009, 02:46 PM
I used to just go back to my house and relax in the pool, play and swim with my dog.

Now I don't live there anymore, my dog has passed, so now I just have sex.

Discuss Thrower
07-19-2009, 02:49 PM
Go buy more.

I'm a teensy bit broke, with an upcoming wedding in St. Louis this weekend.

OnTheWarpath15
07-19-2009, 04:14 PM
I'll report tomorrow.

WilliamTheIrish
07-19-2009, 04:35 PM
I pay $29 per month for unlimited golf on 4 topeka courses ...

Ah yes, the Great Life Golf And Fitness group of goat farm courses. It really is a good deal. The courses are all pretty rank, but for $30 per month it's a decent value.

I have heard that they bought Western Hills and are bringing that clientele down to the level of Perry, Berkshire, and Prairie .... (?)

Bowser
07-19-2009, 04:47 PM
Ah yes, the Great Life Golf And Fitness group of goat farm courses. It really is a good deal. The courses are all pretty rank, but for $30 per month it's a decent value.

I have heard that they bought Western Hills and are bringing that clientele down to the level of Perry, Berkshire, and Prairie .... (?)

Don't know if you get to KC to play, but I played Cardinal Hill on Friday (formerly Claycrest on the north side of Liberty), and I gotta say they've done a hell of a job with that course. And I believe they are offering 12 rounds with a cart and 18 for $250. I might jump on that.

Discuss Thrower
07-19-2009, 06:40 PM
I didn't do too well today either... Well enough for my dad and I to get 5th place in the "D" flight and a net of $50 in winnings.

Braincase
07-19-2009, 07:41 PM

And 45-year old golfers with two reconstructed knees and a heart condition.

stevieray
07-19-2009, 07:43 PM
keep my head down

Skip Towne
07-19-2009, 07:48 PM
And 45-year old golfers with two reconstructed knees and a heart condition.

I can't play unless I have a cart.

Discuss Thrower
07-19-2009, 07:58 PM
Carts enable me to:
A) Conveniently store beverages while I play
B) Enable me to play 36 holes of golf in one daylight.

Carts = win.

Pioli Zombie
07-19-2009, 08:16 PM
I pinch a loaf in the golf cart
Posted via Mobile Device

stevieray
07-19-2009, 08:20 PM
drive home and putter around.

smittysbar
07-19-2009, 09:27 PM
It's not on the course that I have to suffer the folly of golf noob fools. It's at the bar, in the grocery store, at dinner parties, etc. I mean, Christ - leave it at the goddamn course for crying out loud. Quit living it like you are actually a lifetime, founding member of the PGA and there isn't anything else in the universe that doesn't exist other than golf, golf equipment and golf games - after the links. Shit. Arnold Palmer and Jack Nicklaus don't talk golf half as much as these neo-Tiger douchebags.

I am no noob to golf, and we talk golf all the time, we talk about other sports too. I guess I don't see what the problem is with a group of people discussing something they enjoy and pour their hart into. You don't have to be a PGA pro to be competitive and you sure as fuck don't have to be a pro to earn the right to talk sticks with your buddies.

BTW, Arnold Palmer lived and breathed the game of golf. Another good example would be Tom Watson, still out there, not in a booth or on the couch. People fall in love with this game. Not sure how in the hell that could disrupt your life so bad, kind of ridiculous really.

Skip Towne
07-19-2009, 09:33 PM
I am no noob to golf, and we talk golf all the time, we talk about other sports too. I guess I don't see what the problem is with a group of people discussing something they enjoy and pour their hart into. You don't have to be a PGA pro to be competitive and you sure as fuck don't have to be a pro to earn the right to talk sticks with your buddies.

BTW, Arnold Palmer lived and breathed the game of golf. Another good example would be Tom Watson, still out there, not in a booth or on the couch. People fall in love with this game. Not sure how in the hell that could disrupt your life so bad, kind of ridiculous really.

This. I don't run into this type of talk EVER.

Phobia
07-19-2009, 09:35 PM
I played awful golf today - first time in over a year. Second time in 3 years. I've become a beginner again. Triple digits.

Even worse though was the twosome we were behind. Dude had a baseball swing and grip. Came off the teebox asking me what he was doing wrong.... I said "Everything".

Then they proceeded to play the slowest golf known to man. His girlfriend took 20 practice swings and 10 real swings before she connected. Fifteen minutes to play a short par 4 and then 5 minutes to get their cart out of the way because they were playing grabass and making out.

I called the clubhouse to send a marshall to observe. He came out and told them we had complained.... then he left as we played through. Got a complete ration of crap for that plus balls hit into us. Hung me out to dry. Must have been the dumbest marshall known to man. Instead of diffusing the situation he just came out and tossed some gasoline on it. I'll never fight anybody on a golf course but it could have happened today.

PastorMikH
07-19-2009, 09:39 PM
Don't know if you get to KC to play, but I played Cardinal Hill on Friday (formerly Claycrest on the north side of Liberty), and I gotta say they've done a hell of a job with that course. And I believe they are offering 12 rounds with a cart and 18 for $250. I might jump on that.

I played that course some when I was living NE of KC. It was a decent course 15 years ago. If they've improved it it must be a lot of fun to play now.

Discuss Thrower
07-19-2009, 10:49 PM
I played awful golf today - first time in over a year. Second time in 3 years. I've become a beginner again. Triple digits.

Even worse though was the twosome we were behind. Dude had a baseball swing and grip. Came off the teebox asking me what he was doing wrong.... I said "Everything".

Then they proceeded to play the slowest golf known to man. His girlfriend took 20 practice swings and 10 real swings before she connected. Fifteen minutes to play a short par 4 and then 5 minutes to get their cart out of the way because they were playing grabass and making out.

I called the clubhouse to send a marshall to observe. He came out and told them we had complained.... then he left as we played through. Got a complete ration of crap for that plus balls hit into us. Hung me out to dry. Must have been the dumbest marshall known to man. Instead of diffusing the situation he just came out and tossed some gasoline on it. I'll never fight anybody on a golf course but it could have happened today.

I hope you fucked with the balls hit into you?

Phobia
07-19-2009, 11:03 PM
I hope you ****ed with the balls hit into you?

Dude was awful. He could have hit 1000 balls towards my youngest daughter at 100 yards and I wouldn't have been any more worried than I am her riding her bike in the driveway.

Discuss Thrower
07-19-2009, 11:11 PM
Dude was awful. He could have hit 1000 balls towards my youngest daughter at 100 yards and I wouldn't have been any more worried than I am her riding her bike in the driveway.

Getting beaned by a golf ball isn't something taking a chance with, trust me. It'd be one thing if you got hit into because of a blind shot or just sheer absent mindedness. But if someone intentionally starts bombing you, even if they blow ass and are doing nothing but rolling worm-burners at you, all bets are off. Being hit into at least warrants one half buried ball into the dirt.

07-19-2009, 11:13 PM

I have heard that they bought Western Hills and are bringing that clientele down to the level of Perry, Berkshire, and Prairie .... (?)Prairie view is the only course I have played so far this year. I like not having a bunch of golfers around me. That place is one hell of a workout since I don't do carts.

Playing Western Hills tomorrow though.

Phobia
07-19-2009, 11:15 PM
Getting beaned by a golf ball isn't something taking a chance with, trust me. It'd be one thing if you got hit into because of a blind shot or just sheer absent mindedness. But if someone intentionally starts bombing you, even if they blow ass and are doing nothing but rolling worm-burners at you, all bets are off. Being hit into at least warrants one half buried ball into the dirt.

If he'd have gotten anywhere near his ProV1 would be in my pocket.

Discuss Thrower
07-19-2009, 11:20 PM

... The guy was actually, truthfully, honest-to-godily using ProV's? Fucking bullshit.

Then again, I <3 TopFlight D2 Straight's at $15 for 5 sleeves so..........

BWillie
07-19-2009, 11:30 PM
I one time shot 81 and hit 18 greens in regulation. I broke my putter in half and then threw it into the beautiful creek on the 18th hole. Got a new one. Seemed to help.

J Diddy
07-19-2009, 11:46 PM
Hell I don't know what I'd do if I shot a good round of golf.

smittysbar
07-19-2009, 11:51 PM
Hell I don't know what I'd do if I shot a good round of golf.

Collect your money from your buddies :D

Phobia
07-19-2009, 11:56 PM
... The guy was actually, truthfully, honest-to-godily using ProV's? ****ing bullshit.

Then again, I <3 TopFlight D2 Straight's at $15 for 5 sleeves so..........

I dunno. Seemed the type.

Rausch
07-19-2009, 11:58 PM
DISCUS

Having worked at a country club I have very little respect for the sport at all.

Every now and again there'll be some phenom who has perfect short game ball placement that's just uncanny. Or some sophmore that can friggen clobber the ball on long drives.

That's a joy to watch.

But the day-to-day golfer that shows up, spends much, and tips like a sailor on his last day of leave is not. Not so much at all.

My best golf memory was when two local young docs were 1/2 loaded, 8 pm, and one decided "Only the putter, 18 holes, glow-in-the-dark-balls, winner gets 2k."

We (Proshop employees, 3 of us) were the judges to keep things honest.

Both of those guys have operated on family members of mine and done an excellent job.

That said, the guy who won was the better surgeon as well...:evil:

OctoberFart
07-20-2009, 12:08 AM
Learn how to grind. Why are you picking up? Quit playing match play/skins and play stroke play and learn to shoot lower scores.

smittysbar
07-20-2009, 12:16 AM
Learn how to grind. Why are you picking up? Quit playing match play/skins and play stroke play and learn to shoot lower scores.

I took it he is in a tourney with his dad, and if he was out of the hole completely (and I mean no chance), he should pick up, unless he wants to slow the field down or piss off everyone in his group.

And he said it was best ball, which in most cases is everyone playing their own ball then taking the best score on each hole.

Rausch
07-20-2009, 12:39 AM
I took it he is in a tourney with his dad, and if he was out of the hole completely (and I mean no chance), he should pick up, unless he wants to slow the field down or piss off everyone in his group.

And he said it was best ball, which in most cases is everyone playing their own ball then taking the best score on each hole.

Says the guy who slams a disasterous 82 and says "fuck it boys, there be a bar to be pillaged..."

PastorMikH
07-20-2009, 12:51 AM

Guy hits like that he should be shooting TiTechs. Though if he were playing Pro-V1s I'd sure like to golf that course tommorow and pocket a dozen or two of those he abandoned.

Heh, bought my last golf balls back last fall. Since I started walking several days a week, not only have I collected nearly a 5 gallon bucket full of quality balls, I'm hitting higher quality golf balls than I'd shell out $ for.

Saccopoo
07-20-2009, 01:07 AM
This. I don't run into this type of talk EVER.

I need to change my friends and family then, none of which knew the first thing about golf 20/25 years ago, with the exception of my father and my grandfather - both of which stopped playing years ago. (Grandfather died at 98 a couple of years back, and dad is now 66 and hasn't taken his clubs out in at least 15 years.) Now, even my dipshit uncles, who don't even play the goddamn game, talk about it like they're Johnny freakin' Miller. Cousin now plays, my college roommate now plays, his sister plays, blah, blah, blah. It's like trying to get on your favorite section of stream right after the movie "A River Runs Through It" came out. Fucking everyone thought that they were some goddamn fishing guide - waders, vest, etc. Made me stop fly fishing for damn near 10 years, and I love fishing. I was at this dinner party a couple of years back with my then girlfriend and three other couples, all of which were very attractive, successful people, and while the girls were playing music, mixing drinks, and having a generally great time, the three other guys were sitting on the deck playing a stupid ass dice golf game - after they just played 36 holes that day - complaining about where their new fave golfer was on this weeks money list and if he switched to a new type of Indonesian tee that purportedly gave them another four inches, on average, on their drives, which they would slice 97% of the time anyway. (Which is funny as I went to a buddies wedding two years ago, and actually decided to play with the rest of the wedding party, and was kicking their ass in a standard Nassau and one guy bitched that I was cheating because I was teeing off with my three iron on the long holes.)

keg in kc
07-20-2009, 05:24 AM
I'll tell you in about 7 hours.

smittysbar
07-20-2009, 10:51 AM
I need to change my friends and family then, none of which knew the first thing about golf 20/25 years ago, with the exception of my father and my grandfather - both of which stopped playing years ago. (Grandfather died at 98 a couple of years back, and dad is now 66 and hasn't taken his clubs out in at least 15 years.) Now, even my dipshit uncles, who don't even play the goddamn game, talk about it like they're Johnny freakin' Miller. Cousin now plays, my college roommate now plays, his sister plays, blah, blah, blah. It's like trying to get on your favorite section of stream right after the movie "A River Runs Through It" came out. Fucking everyone thought that they were some goddamn fishing guide - waders, vest, etc. Made me stop fly fishing for damn near 10 years, and I love fishing. I was at this dinner party a couple of years back with my then girlfriend and three other couples, all of which were very attractive, successful people, and while the girls were playing music, mixing drinks, and having a generally great time, the three other guys were sitting on the deck playing a stupid ass dice golf game - after they just played 36 holes that day - complaining about where their new fave golfer was on this weeks money list and if he switched to a new type of Indonesian tee that purportedly gave them another four inches, on average, on their drives, which they would slice 97% of the time anyway. (Which is funny as I went to a buddies wedding two years ago, and actually decided to play with the rest of the wedding party, and was kicking their ass in a standard Nassau and one guy bitched that I was cheating because I was teeing off with my three iron on the long holes.)

So since you think you are better than them and have been into it longer though you don't play anymore, they have not earned the right to be passionate about the game they love.....gotcha

You sound like someone who just bitch's just to be bitching about something.

07-20-2009, 02:12 PM
I got a par today. Thats a big deal for me. Choked on the 20 ft birdie attempt by shorting it though.

CoMoChief
07-20-2009, 02:21 PM
I got a par today. Thats a big deal for me. Choked on the 20 ft birdie attempt by shorting it though.

Gawd you suck. :D

07-20-2009, 02:25 PM
Gawd you suck. :D4321:D

OnTheWarpath15
07-20-2009, 02:59 PM
44-50 for a 94.

Not bad considering I had no fucking clue where the ball was going with the driver. Par 3's and short game/putting kept me from triple digits.

I don't practice or play enough to get much better than a bogey golfer.

keg in kc
07-20-2009, 03:07 PM
My first round in a year today, my third in the last two years.

Let's just say it wasn't real good. Although it was below my IQ.

OnTheWarpath15
07-20-2009, 03:11 PM

You broke 90?

Congratulations!

:D

keg in kc
07-20-2009, 03:12 PM
You broke 90?Not even on the front nine.

Skip Towne
07-20-2009, 06:39 PM
I one time shot 81 and hit 18 greens in regulation. I broke my putter in half and then threw it into the beautiful creek on the 18th hole. Got a new one. Seemed to help.

You 3 putted 11 greens? Are you spastic?

JOhn
07-20-2009, 06:41 PM

WOW Great game, you should go pro.

Now if you had said below your weight, I would have been worried ROFL

PunkinDrublic
07-20-2009, 06:46 PM
After a bad round of golf? I take comfort in the fact that I could dominate most golfers in activities that are actual sports.

Discuss Thrower
07-20-2009, 08:08 PM

I don't think it's reasonable to refer to missing a 20ft putt as choking... Unless you've got a tour card you're probably not expected to make it.

Predarat
07-21-2009, 05:40 PM
Most of my games are bad games but if I have a REALLY bad game i'll throw my 6 or 8 iron into the lake.

BWillie
07-21-2009, 06:57 PM
You 3 putted 11 greens? Are you spastic?

Naw, I five putted this crazy triple tiered hole with an asshole pin placement. I had a four putt in there too, but yeah, had alot of 3 putts to. One of the best rounds I hit the ball in my life too, it was crazy. I was always a nutcase on the course, not exactly that hot headed, but the I've done the dumbest things and had the dumbest rounds back when I used to play competitively.

Discuss Thrower
07-21-2009, 09:30 PM
That is an incredible dyspeptic round there... 5 putting a green yet still making a decent score. What's your handicap?

07-21-2009, 09:45 PM
I don't think it's reasonable to refer to missing a 20ft putt as choking... Unless you've got a tour card you're probably not expected to make it.True. I love it and hate it when I actually have a shot at a birdie. First, you realize "hey, this could be a birdie". Then you think "oh God, this could be a birdie, don't screw it up." Then "Damnit, you friggin idiot!! Hit the damned thing." Then I knock in the par and still feel like I accomplished something. :)

My biggest problems are the par 5 holes since I never know where my ball will go with the driver and long irons.

Discuss Thrower
07-21-2009, 09:55 PM
I think it's a victory if you have a birdie putt longer than 15ft that you're able to get it within an easy par putt's distance. Then again, my game on the green is predicated by two-putts anyway.

keg in kc
07-22-2009, 05:21 AM
Another round this morning. Anything under 140 is a victory.

My guess is after this horrible round I'm about to have, I'll quit golf for another year.