PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs fans buying tickets for Cowboys, Steelers games pay for exhibitions, too

Hammock Parties
07-21-2009, 12:14 AM
WTF

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1336915.html

One of the NFL’s greatest marketing ploys is requiring season-ticket holders to buy two exhibition games at full price. Now, the Chiefs are extending this practice to single-game tickets for certain games.

When single-game tickets go on sale to the public on July 31, fans wanting to buy tickets to the Oct. 11 game against Dallas must buy comparable tickets to the preseason game against the Houston Texans on Aug. 15.

Likewise, anyone wanting to buy tickets to see the Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers on Nov. 22 must buy an equal number of tickets to the exhibition game against Seattle on Aug. 29.

The other six regular-season home games don’t have a preseason provision.

This procedure is designed to accomplish several things. The Cowboys and Steelers will be big draws, and by forcing fans to buy the designated preseason games, the Chiefs can be assured of better crowds — or at least better paid attendance — than they’d normally get for those two exhibition games.

Tacking those exhibitions onto the Steelers and Cowboys games can help the Chiefs reach sellouts and avoid TV blackouts for the preseason games.

Also, the Cowboys and Steelers have huge national followings. The Steelers haven’t played in KC since 2003; the Cowboys haven’t been at Arrowhead since 1998 and may not return for another six years if the NFL maintains its current scheduling format.

Arrowhead Stadium turned into Green Bay South when the Packers played in Kansas City a couple of years ago. The Chiefs undoubtedly would prefer that not happen again, but if it does, at least they’ll get double the money from Dallas and Pittsburgh fans.

Jackson County residents will be able to buy single-game tickets starting July 29. For that sale, tickets may be purchased at the temporary Arrowhead Stadium box office in Lot D or select Kansas City-area Ticketmaster outlets. No Internet or telephone orders will be accepted for this sale.

Jackson County taxpayers buying tickets must have one form of identification including a photo of the person making the purchase plus a 2008 Jackson County personal property tax receipt. Spouses residing at the same address will be allowed to purchase tickets, even if the property receipt is in the other spouse’s name.

A list of Ticketmaster locations participating in the Jackson County sale is at www.kcchiefs.com.

The general public sale begins at 10 a.m. July 31, at the temporary Arrowhead box office or from Ticketmaster and 800-745-3000. Purchasers may use cash or major credit cards.

07-21-2009, 12:30 AM
BS but inevitable.

wazu
07-21-2009, 12:47 AM
My Cowboys tickets just got a little bit easier to sell.

mcockrum
07-21-2009, 01:15 AM
I just posted a thing on there about that. I'm a 20 year fan of the Chiefs and this practice may very well be the end of that. My wife and I didn't plan much for our honeymoon, but going to the Cowboys-Chiefs game was part of the plan. But there's no way we're going to pay double for the same seats...

Mile High Mania
07-21-2009, 04:52 AM
I think this has been going on in Dallas for years... I recall a number of years ago when Denver played at Dallas on Thanksgiving. When they first went on sale, I knew I had to buy them soon... but that also put in a position where I had to buy 1 preseason game per reg season ticket.

This is standard in most cities I think.

BigRedChief
07-21-2009, 06:22 AM
BS but inevitable.
Yeppers. Not a Chiefs thing, but an NFL thing.

luv
07-21-2009, 06:33 AM
So, they decide to do this the year after what has to be the worst year for single game sales? Way to encourage the fans to come back.

Old Dog
07-21-2009, 06:44 AM
This has been going on for a while throughout the NFL. Hell, the Chiefs did it a couple of years ago with the Packers and Bronco games. You had to buy the (I think) Jacksonville game to get either of the others. It wasn't a preseason game, but it was a meaningless game nonetheless.

InChiefsHeaven
07-21-2009, 06:47 AM
But the DO have seats starting at 35.00 according to the email they sent me...haven't seen a seat that cheap since the 90's...

Mojo Jojo
07-21-2009, 06:49 AM
Let's look at the business side of this...FYI that is what Clark cares about.

There are two ways to sell preseason tickets.
1. Large 10 game season ticket base.
2. Group Sales.

If you don't have the large season ticket base, then group tickets are available for regular season games. Which would your group pick...pre or regular season games?

The Chiefs are way down in season tickets, so groups move into regular season games. Now Clark NEEDS to sell preseason tickets.

This is not much different from college football when a school like KU will charge you $25.00 for a game against Southern Louisiana and $50.00 for the Nebraska or Oklahoma game.

I don't remember, but didn't the Chiefs do this last year for the Broncos game?

Welcome to the NFL...it's about the money.

chiefbowe82
07-21-2009, 08:41 AM
But the DO have seats starting at 35.00 according to the email they sent me...haven't seen a seat that cheap since the 90's...

I'll believe it when I see it

Brock
07-21-2009, 08:45 AM
It's more aimed at Steeler and Cowboys fans than anyone else.

acesn8s
07-21-2009, 08:51 AM
EBAY!!!

Mile High Mania
07-21-2009, 09:11 AM
It's more aimed at Steeler and Cowboys fans than anyone else.

They're not asking your fan affilliation when you buy... if you're a KC fan and you want to see the games vs PIT and DAL, well you're buying those preseason games (at the same price).

Brock
07-21-2009, 09:12 AM
They're not asking your fan affilliation when you buy... if you're a KC fan and you want to see the games vs PIT and DAL, well you're buying those preseason games (at the same price).

If you're a KC fan, they want you to buy season tickets.

Mile High Mania
07-21-2009, 09:13 AM
If you're a KC fan, they want you to buy season tickets.

Sure, but the majority still buy single game... so, they want to make sure they get paid on the preseason games and when the tie those spare games to the BIG regular season games, it will happen.

acesn8s
07-21-2009, 09:20 AM
So if I go see the Chiefs on a road game do I get the tickets half price? You know, to help attendence.

chiefbowe82
07-21-2009, 10:20 AM
Arrowhead Stadium turned into Green Bay South when the Packers played in Kansas City a couple of years ago. The Chiefs undoubtedly would prefer that not happen again, but if it does, at least they’ll get double the money from Dallas and Pittsburgh fans.

Is it really like this?

Fish
07-21-2009, 12:53 PM
What happens if tickets to those 2 games don't sell out by the time preseason is over? What if I want to buy single game tickets to those games after preseason(if available)? Will I have to pay for preseason tickets after the preseason game is over?

Fucking greed.........

Mile High Mania
07-21-2009, 12:58 PM
What happens if tickets to those 2 games don't sell out by the time preseason is over? What if I want to buy single game tickets to those games after preseason(if available)? Will I have to pay for preseason tickets after the preseason game is over?

****ing greed.........

Ummm, no. After the preseason is over... the pricing situation changes and you can buy your single game packs unless they come up with 2-3 game promo prices or something.

I understand why they do it... it's just a pain.

Mr_Tomahawk
07-21-2009, 12:59 PM
I was having a hard time finding Vikings vs Chiefs preseason tickets for this reason.

Everyone trying to buy tickets for the Vikings vs Packers game up here had to also purchase preseason tickets. Thanks for ruining it for everybody Brett! :cuss:

Hydrae
07-21-2009, 01:09 PM
As someone who would be coming from out of town if I were to come to a game, this sucks. I don't plan to travel to a preseason game but look forward to the day I can show up for a regular season game. I would hate to think they would stick me with a ticket that not only am I not interested in but which I would not even be able to attend! :cuss:

Mile High Mania
07-21-2009, 01:13 PM
As someone who would be coming from out of town if I were to come to a game, this sucks. I don't plan to travel to a preseason game but look forward to the day I can show up for a regular season game. I would hate to think they would stick me with a ticket that not only am I not interested in but which I would not even be able to attend! :cuss:

This happened here in Dallas a few years ago for the Broncos' game. I was the only one "local" and I had 2 friends coming into town for the game. I still had to buy the 2 preseason tickets for their 2 reg season games...

Pain in the ass. My option was to wait until after preseason, but I knew they wouldn't last (it was Thanksgiving day game).

Old Dog
07-21-2009, 01:56 PM

Fucking greed.........

My bet is that they'll still be a "gotta buy 2" with the Cleveland or Buffalo games.

Skip Towne
07-21-2009, 02:00 PM
Last year Oklahoma State made you buy season tickets just to get the OU game.

Titty Meat
07-21-2009, 02:02 PM
So why are the Chiefs doing this? They won't even sell out some regular season games which is sad. Thanks Herm

Skip Towne
07-21-2009, 02:04 PM
So why are the Chiefs doing this? They won't even sell out some regular season games which is sad. Thanks Herm

Herm single handedly got the Chiefs kicked off of TV after 6 games each of the last two years.

Titty Meat
07-21-2009, 02:05 PM
Herm single handedly got the Chiefs kicked off of TV after 6 games each of the last two years.

Where are you from? Yea I believe it except in 2007 we were in first play 7 games in the season.

Skip Towne
07-21-2009, 02:08 PM
Where are you from? Yea I believe it except in 2007 we were in first play 7 games in the season.

Tulsa

kcfanXIII
07-21-2009, 02:36 PM
how bout this chiefs: you keep your crappy preseason tix, and i'll just buy from a scalper if i decide to go to those games. even if i have to pay twice face value, at least the chiefs won't be getting my money for the scheme known as preseason.

wild1
07-21-2009, 03:01 PM
I was having a hard time finding Vikings vs Chiefs preseason tickets for this reason.

Everyone trying to buy tickets for the Vikings vs Packers game up here had to also purchase preseason tickets. Thanks for ruining it for everybody Brett! :cuss:

You'll probably be able to find those preseason tickets in trash cans all over the city.

Nzoner
07-21-2009, 03:17 PM
Maybe the gameroom will be at full capicity bash weekend.

OnTheWarpath15
07-21-2009, 03:19 PM
Not sure why people are all bent out of shape over this, you'll be able to walk up to the ticket window every Sunday this season and buy seats.

I'm hearing that season tickets are making up less than half the capacity of Arrowhead.

Mojo Jojo
07-21-2009, 04:37 PM
Not sure why people are all bent out of shape over this, you'll be able to walk up to the ticket window every Sunday this season and buy seats.

I'm hearing that season tickets are making up less than half the capacity of Arrowhead.

I heard Season Tickets were around 35,000. Pre-Carl Numbers.

OnTheWarpath15
07-21-2009, 05:17 PM
I heard Season Tickets were around 35,000. Pre-Carl Numbers.

That's roughly the number I've heard as well.

44% of capacity.