PDA

View Full Version : Life Got to get a new laptop...

Kyle DeLexus
07-21-2009, 10:43 PM
Anyone have any opinions on this on? http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9370441&type=product&id=1218093004316

It's a new gateway that came out. Seems like a good buy for the price. Going through the reviews there are 3 complaints that get brought up consistently.
1. People don't like the touchpad (I messed with one at bestbuy and it wasn't bad, kind of like mine now but the bar is different...no biggie)
2. Runs hot (my computer now gets very hot, so I can't see this being worse)
3. Slow start up due to vista (free upgrade to windows 7 in Oct. and I honestly don't power down all that much.)
4. Battery life isn't 3 hours like said unless your in power saver mode and just surf the web. (the POS I use now has like a 30 min. batt life....first laptop and kept it charging all the time won't make that mistake again)

Any input?

LaChapelle
07-21-2009, 10:45 PM
Those lollipop commercials are so retarted.

Kyle DeLexus
07-21-2009, 10:49 PM
Those lollipop commercials are so retarted.

Isn't that Dell?

Buehler445
07-21-2009, 10:55 PM
Gateway is still around? WTF?

Thig Lyfe
07-21-2009, 10:55 PM
I got that same laptop except a step higher just today. It's pretty good so far (much better than the Toshiba Satellite piece I've been eking by with for the last 3 years). Startup is actually pretty good (although this is compared to my old laptop, which took 10 minutes to come out of hibrate). Touchpad is a little sketchy but I'm sure I'll get used to it. Haven't noticed anything about it running hot yet. And battery life is definitely nowhere near three hours, but if it becomes an issue I'll just get a better battery.

Overall, seems like a good investment.

Kyle DeLexus
07-21-2009, 10:57 PM
Gateway is still around? WTF?

I guess they haven't been doing too much lately and this and their Intel model are supposed to be what gets them "back in the game" so to speak

Kyle DeLexus
07-21-2009, 11:00 PM
I got that same laptop except a step higher just today. It's pretty good so far (much better than the Toshiba Satellite piece I've been eking by with for the last 3 years). Startup is actually pretty good (although this is compared to my old laptop, which took 10 minutes to come out of hibrate). Touchpad is a little sketchy but I'm sure I'll get used to it. Haven't noticed anything about it running hot yet. And battery life is definitely nowhere near three hours, but if it becomes an issue I'll just get a better battery.

Overall, seems like a good investment.

Kind of my thought process...so you got the Intel model for $599?

I really don't mind AMD and I'm not sure it's worth $100 for me to go with Intel.

Good luck on the battery though, from what I've read they don't have any better ones for it yet. Maybe they will release them soon though.

sportsman1
07-21-2009, 11:01 PM
Can I be the first to suggest stealing a "sweet" laptop?

Thig Lyfe
07-21-2009, 11:02 PM
I guess they haven't been doing too much lately and this and their Intel model are supposed to be what gets them "back in the game" so to speak

My brother, who I trust on computer stuff, recommended Gateway.

Kyle DeLexus
07-21-2009, 11:02 PM

I don't have a bike so I'm not sure I could pull that off.

Thig Lyfe
07-21-2009, 11:04 PM
Kind of my thought process...so you got the Intel model for $599?

I really don't mind AMD and I'm not sure it's worth $100 for me to go with Intel.

Good luck on the battery though, from what I've read they don't have any better ones for it yet. Maybe they will release them soon though.

Hrm... mine has AMD but it's not the same as that one. It cost $599 after a $100 discount at Newegg.

Kyle DeLexus
07-21-2009, 11:39 PM
My brother, who I trust on computer stuff, recommended Gateway.

That's good to hear. I have honestly never heard anything bad about Gateway before, but I haven't heard anything overly positive either.

I think I'm going to pick this up tomorrow......anyone think Bestbuy will lower their price down to $479 like it was a couple weeks ago?

Crashride
07-22-2009, 07:48 AM

Its ok hes sorry.

Fritz88
07-22-2009, 07:49 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Acer-AOD150-1165-10-1-Inch-Sapphire-Blue/dp/B001QFZFS0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1248270526&sr=8-1

BigRedChief
07-22-2009, 07:53 AM
I just bought one. There was a thread about it. Search should find it.
I bought this one at Best Buy
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9377104&type=product&id=1218094855118

Dallas Chief
07-22-2009, 08:33 AM
That's good to hear. I have honestly never heard anything bad about Gateway before, but I haven't heard anything overly positive either.

I think I'm going to pick this up tomorrow......anyone think Bestbuy will lower their price down to $479 like it was a couple weeks ago?

There is a very good possibility that prices will go down over the next few weeks because of all the back to school sales. Additionally, retailers will be wanting to get out of their Vista inventory before the launch of Windows 7 in October. I don't want to complicate this for you, but you might check what Sam's Club or Costco are promoting. The general rule is that they offer about 10% in either a savings value or spec. value. So either you'll get a better price for an identical spec or you'll get like more RAM or HDD for the same price. Good luck with your purchase!!!

leviw
07-22-2009, 08:37 AM
Can't believe people are still buying PCs. Mac is where it's at.

Saulbadguy
07-22-2009, 08:38 AM

:FLUSH:

Buehler445
07-22-2009, 08:48 AM

Dude. He's in the market for a $500 computer. Keep that shit out of this thread.
Posted via Mobile Device

leviw
07-22-2009, 09:11 AM
Dude. He's in the market for a $500 computer. Keep that shit out of this thread.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sorry. I was speaking in generalities.

ArrowheadHawk
07-22-2009, 01:35 PM
Acer bought gateway. And they make good laptops as long as you don't buy the model that is made for wal-mart.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-22-2009, 01:45 PM
Acer bought gateway. And they make good laptops as long as you don't buy the model that is made for wal-mart.
Posted via Mobile Device

:FLUSH:

BigMeatballDave
07-22-2009, 02:01 PM
Can't believe people are still buying PCs. Mac is where it's at.Nice. You have money to burn. Not saying Macs are a waste of money, I just think they are overpriced...

WilliamTheIrish
07-22-2009, 03:10 PM
Sorry. I was speaking in generalities.

You own a Cobalt. (i'm kidding, dude) Ready for some football?

leviw
07-22-2009, 09:28 PM
You own a Cobalt. (i'm kidding, dude) Ready for some football?

That's true.

I am. Royals baseball has put me in a funk I'm not even sure football can drag me out of.

sportsman1
07-23-2009, 12:38 AM
That's true.

I am. Royals baseball has put me in a funk I'm not even sure football can drag me out of.

Expectations really suck don't they?

BigRedChief
07-23-2009, 10:05 AM
better go check out Wal-Mart. Maybe a laptop pricing war is about to begin.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/retail/2009-07-22-deals-laptops-walmart_N.htm?loc=interstitialskip

Param
07-23-2009, 10:15 AM
Anyone have any opinions on this on? http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9370441&type=product&id=1218093004316

It's a new gateway that came out. Seems like a good buy for the price. Going through the reviews there are 3 complaints that get brought up consistently.
1. People don't like the touchpad (I messed with one at bestbuy and it wasn't bad, kind of like mine now but the bar is different...no biggie)
2. Runs hot (my computer now gets very hot, so I can't see this being worse)
3. Slow start up due to vista (free upgrade to windows 7 in Oct. and I honestly don't power down all that much.)
4. Battery life isn't 3 hours like said unless your in power saver mode and just surf the web. (the POS I use now has like a 30 min. batt life....first laptop and kept it charging all the time won't make that mistake again)

Any input?

i recommend slickdeals and hit the refresh button every few hours in the hot deals section(forum layout). There's always a sweet lappy at a great price. Just be ready to buy when you see a hot deal..