PDA

View Full Version : Life How good is Saint Louis Zoo

jidar
07-23-2009, 10:31 AM
So I'm planning an almost spur of the moment weekend trip for the family. We're thinking of going either to St. Louis or Dallas and I have to decide which. We will only be there from Friday the 1st to the following Monday so we don't have a lot of time...

I thought going to the Dallas World Aquarium would be cool, but at $20/person it's pricey and is it really that great? We also have never been to St. Louis so maybe that's good too and with the free admission to the Zoo there the price is right. But... you sometimes get what you pay for.
How does the St. Louis Zoo compare to the KC Zoo (which I'm familiar with)?

Dr. Johnny Fever
07-23-2009, 10:32 AM
St Louis zoo is far superior to KC zoo.

mikeyis4dcats.
07-23-2009, 10:32 AM
We liked it quite a bit. penguins are awesome...

Dr. Johnny Fever
07-23-2009, 10:34 AM
We liked it quite a bit. penguins are awesome...

I like the guy who always says... "Rico... Kawalsky... here's the plan."

Baby Lee
07-23-2009, 10:35 AM
It really is a pretty good Zoo.
Plus, you have the Art Gallery, History Museum and Science Center within walking distance.
Plus great eating in three different directions, Central West End, The Loop and Dogtown.

Stinger
07-23-2009, 10:38 AM
So I'm planning an almost spur of the moment weekend trip for the family. We're thinking of going either to St. Louis or Dallas and I have to decide which. We will only be there from Friday the 1st to the following Monday so we don't have a lot of time...

I thought going to the Dallas World Aquarium would be cool, but at $20/person it's pricey and is it really that great? We also have never been to St. Louis so maybe that's good too and with the free admission to the Zoo there the price is right. But... you sometimes get what you pay for.
How does the St. Louis Zoo compare to the KC Zoo (which I'm familiar with)?

Been to both and the the KC doesn't even come close to the St. Louis zoo. The St. Louis zoo is a great place only pay for parking. I believe $7 a vehicle. Lots of natural terrain, natural shade and a lots of animals. The only zoo better in the mid-west is Omaha's IMO

Baby Lee
07-23-2009, 10:41 AM
Been to both and the the KC doesn't even come close to the St. Louis zoo. The St. Louis zoo is a great place only pay for parking. I believe $7 a vehicle. Lots of natural terrain, natural shade and a lots of animals. The only zoo better in the mid-west is Omaha's IMO

Dunno about the Zoo's parking lot, but it's smack dab in the middle of Forest Park, with tons of free parking if you don't mind the walk to the entrance.

Reaper16
07-23-2009, 10:41 AM
St. Louis Zoo is good.

Kansas City Zoo is underrated.

MTG#10
07-23-2009, 10:42 AM
Havent been to the KC Zoo but the St. Louis Zoo is pretty nice. If you plan on trying to see it all I hope you're in good shape.

CoMoChief
07-23-2009, 11:14 AM
Far better than anything KC has.

SLAG
STL Zoo is EXCELLENT

PunkinDrublic
Does the St. Louis zoo have a train going around it? Scoreboard kc.

Deberg_1990
07-23-2009, 11:16 AM
How is Omaha Zoo?? Anyone ever been? I think im going up there in a few weeks...

Skyy God
07-23-2009, 11:18 AM
The easy choice is St. Louis. It's a top 5 zoo, and as BL said, there are other kid-friendly attractions nearby.

Don't let the fact that it's free deter you. They actually charge for a number of things (e.g., the sea lion show).

Skyy God
07-23-2009, 11:18 AM
Does the St. Louis zoo have a train going around it? Scoreboard kc.

St.L 1, KC 1 on that metric.

CoMoChief
07-23-2009, 11:19 AM
How is Omaha Zoo?? Anyone ever been? I think im going up there in a few weeks...

Omaha Zoo is even better than KC. Last time I was there I was 13, but then it was better and I'm sure they've probably done some upgrades to the place since then (about 12 yrs ago)

PunkinDrublic
07-23-2009, 11:23 AM
If you make it down to Dallas don't go to the Dallas zoo it kind of sucks. A couple of years ago one of the Gorillas got out and bit a couple of people on a rampage. The cops had to put it down with a shot gun. Fort Worth has a way better zoo.

Mama Hip Rockets
07-23-2009, 11:28 AM
st. louis zoo is awesome.

suds79
07-23-2009, 11:31 AM
I live here in Lincoln so we frequent the Omaha zoo quite often which is known for being neck & neck with San Diego. So we're a little spoiled.

Having said that, I went to the St. Louis zoo about a month ago with the wife on vaca and it was really nice. We all know St Louis can be brutal in the summer but it's pretty shady with lots of trees. I appreciated that.

It's a real nice zoo.

morphius
07-23-2009, 11:35 AM
My wife had friends from SD who thought the Omaha Zoo was better. It is a great zoo.

blaise
07-23-2009, 11:41 AM
The KC Zoo is terrible. It's the worst zoo I've ever been to. I'd rather go to the Topeka zoo than KC's.
I've been there twice and that'll be it. Never again.

Reaper16
07-23-2009, 11:51 AM
The KC Zoo is terrible. It's the worst zoo I've ever been to. I'd rather go to the Topeka zoo than KC's.
You have no taste.

RJ
07-23-2009, 11:54 AM
I love zoos and have been to many around the country. St. Louis is as good as any and better than most.

blaise
07-23-2009, 12:04 PM
You have no taste.

Not for crappy zoos - no, I don't.

DMAC
07-23-2009, 12:04 PM
I've been there twice and that'll be it. Never again.Have you ever been to Springfields zoo? Not free, flies buzzin around all the filthy skinny animals (if they are even visible).

But there is a train!

RJ
07-23-2009, 12:05 PM

What makes it terrible?

Reaper16
07-23-2009, 12:06 PM
What makes it terrible?
Nothing. He's just doing what he does on every post -- be a cunthat.

Buck
07-23-2009, 12:07 PM
SD Zoo, ftw.

RJ
07-23-2009, 12:09 PM
SD Zoo, ftw.

If I ever get to SD, visiting the zoo will be at the top of my list of things to do.

Buck
07-23-2009, 12:11 PM
If I ever get to SD, visiting the zoo will be at the top of my list of things to do.

Unfortunately I have nothing to compare it too, but I really doubt that anything comes close. There are so many different animals there, its nuts.

I havent been in like 10 Years!!! Damn, I need to make a trip out there. Its only $20, and like $12 for kids.

Good thing this thread came up, it reminded me I need to go to the zoo.

PunkinDrublic
07-23-2009, 12:11 PM
The KC zoo of today is completely different from the KC zoo I grew up going to in the 80s as a kid. It holds a lot of sentimental value for me.

blaise
07-23-2009, 12:12 PM
Nothing. He's just doing what he does on every post -- be a ****hat.

The hell I am. It's too spread out, you have to go forever between exhibits. You don't get as good a look at the animals as you do at other zoos. Half of the little informational signs are so outdated that you can't even read what it says. It's run down and dirty. Don't cry because I don't like the KC zoo, dude. I'm sorry it hurts your feelings somehow, but it's a crappy zoo.
I'll admit I haven't been to a ton. I've been to like 5 or 6. But KC's definitely was the worst.
If anyone's being an asshat, it's you. Don't be so damn sensitive about a zoo.
It's not like I'm the only person that feels that way either.

morphius
07-23-2009, 12:12 PM
SD Zoo, ftw.
Pretty funny after my post 20...

Reaper16
07-23-2009, 12:16 PM
The hell I am. It's too spread out, you have to go forever between exhibits. You don't get as good a look at the animals as you do at other zoos. Half of the little informational signs are so outdated that you can't even read what it says. It's run down and dirty. Don't cry because I don't like the KC zoo, dude. I'm sorry it hurts your feelings somehow, but it's a crappy zoo.
I'll admit I haven't been to a ton. I've been to like 5 or 6. But KC's definitely was the worst.
If anyone's being an asshat, it's you. Don't be so damn sensitive about a zoo.
It's not like I'm the only person that feels that way either.
Waaaaaaaaahhhh, I have to walk. Waaaaaaahhhh, I can't see the animals that are right in front of my cunthat eyes.

blaise
07-23-2009, 12:19 PM
Waaaaaaaaahhhh, I have to walk. Waaaaaaahhhh, I can't see the animals that are right in front of my ****hat eyes.

I'm crying? Bro, you're throwing a hissy fit about the zoo. Get a hold of yourself. It's a matter of opinion. What do you work there or something?

Stinger
07-23-2009, 12:19 PM

Awesome zoo.... Best in the mid-west and probably in the top 5-8 in the country IMO.

PunkinDrublic
07-23-2009, 12:20 PM
Waaaaaaaaahhhh, I have to walk. Waaaaaaahhhh, I can't see the animals that are right in front of my ****hat eyes.

This

blaise
07-23-2009, 12:22 PM
This

You're right. It's the best zoo in the country.

Reaper16
07-23-2009, 12:23 PM
I'm crying? Bro, you're throwing a hissy fit about the zoo. Get a hold of yourself. It's a matter of opinion. What do you work there or something?
You aren't crying, no. You're whining.

I'm not saying that the KC Zoo is better than the others discussed in this thread, but I really can't understand when people say that its terrible. I guess seeing a bunch of cool-ass animals up close is something terrible in today's age.

blaise
07-23-2009, 12:25 PM

I'm not saying that the KC Zoo is better than the others discussed in this thread, but I really can't understand when people say that its terrible. I guess seeing a bunch of cool-ass animals up close is something terrible in today's age.

If I want to say it's terrible, that just my opinion. I stated it, and you cried, so I gave you my reasons why. Someone asked and I answered. It's not like I started a thread about how terrible it is. It's in the context of the conversation. The only person crying here is you.

PunkinDrublic
07-23-2009, 12:28 PM

Wahhh they won't let me take my rascal into the park. Wahhh it's dirty. Well no shit it's dirty it's a facility that holds large exotic animals and it's mainly open during the hottest months of the year. Have you ever heard the expression it smells like a zoo in here? That's because it's generally accepted that zoos stink due to the inordinate amount of animal feces.

Reaper16
07-23-2009, 12:30 PM
If I want to say it's terrible, that just my opinion. I stated it, and you cried, so I gave you my reasons why. Someone asked and I answered. It's not like I started a thread about how terrible it is. It's in the context of the conversation. The only person crying here is you.
Waaaaahhhhh, someone disagrees with me on an internet forum.

blaise
07-23-2009, 12:32 PM
Wahhh they won't let me take my rascal into the park. Wahhh it's dirty. Well no shit it's dirty it's a facility that holds large exotic animals and it's mainly open during the hottest months of the year. Have you ever heard the expression it smells like a zoo in here. That's because it's generally accepted that zoos stink due to the inordinate amount of animal feces.

Ok dude, have it your way. You guys are getting so damn offended and getting your feelings hurt because I dare to say the KC zoo sucks. I'm the one crying, ok. Carry on.

blaise
07-23-2009, 12:34 PM
Waaaaahhhhh, someone disagrees with me on an internet forum.

Now you're getting it. That's pretty much what you're doing here.

L.A. Chieffan
07-23-2009, 12:34 PM
ive been to la, ny sf, kc and ill say SD zoo pwns em all

Simply Red
07-23-2009, 12:35 PM
ive been to la, ny sf, kc and ill say SD zoo pwns em all

Hubert's?

Reaper16
07-23-2009, 12:37 PM
Now you're getting it. That's pretty much what you're doing here.
You must be new to the internet. See, on internet forums, people tend to insult each other over petty disagreements, completely disregarding civility or sometimes even cogent argument. Your whole "I have a right to my opinion, why are you all offended" shtick doesn't come off well given the nature of forum discourse.

L.A. Chieffan
07-23-2009, 12:37 PM
Hubert's?

barcadia

PunkinDrublic
07-23-2009, 12:40 PM
Ok dude, have it your way. You guys are getting so damn offended and getting your feelings hurt because I dare to say the KC zoo sucks. I'm the one crying, ok. Carry on.

I'm just piling on for my own personal amusement. St. Louis probably has a better zoo but I'm not going to give them any credit for it cause **** St. Louis.

blaise
07-23-2009, 12:40 PM
You must be new to the internet. See, on internet forums, people tend to insult each other over petty disagreements, completely disregarding civility or sometimes even cogent argument. Your whole "I have a right to my opinion, why are you all offended" shtick doesn't come off well given the nature of forum discourse.

Thank you master of the internet. Maybe someday I can attain the level of message board savvy you hold. It's a fine aspiration.

Reaper16
07-23-2009, 12:41 PM
Thank you master of the internet. Maybe someday I can attain the level of message board savvy you hold. It's a fine aspiration.
That's better.

Reaper16
07-23-2009, 12:41 PM
I'm just piling on for my own personal amusement. St. Louis probably has a better zoo but I'm not going to give them any credit for it cause **** St. Louis.
You are cool as fuck.

blaise
07-23-2009, 12:43 PM
That's better.

Thanks, guy. I'll just remember you're driven to fits over insults to the KC zoo and it makes you scream "asshat" like a retarded child.
Have fun at the zoo. Tell you what, go to the information booth next time you go. I'm gonna have them hold a collectors cup there just for you. That was every time you drink from it you can remember what a fantastic time you had.

Demonpenz
07-23-2009, 12:47 PM
Kc put alot of work into the zoo. People think everything sucks that is in their own back yards, but put some funnel cake and a loopy straw in their hand on vacation and they act like it rules because by gosh I am on vacation, it better rawk!

KC native
07-23-2009, 12:53 PM
Go to Dallas. The World Aquarium is awesome (we take my son about every 4-5 months bc he loves it). Yes it's pricey but it's the perfect length for little ones. You start at the top in a rain forest environment and work your way down. They have birds, otters, crocodiles, a massive shark tank, a massive tank with manatees and tortoises.

Also, punkindrublic nailed it on the Ft Worth zoo (less than an hour from Dallas). It has nice enclosures and is the perfect length for little ones too.

If the little ones are a 10 and up they may enjoy the modern art museum in Ft Worth which is a world class museum (dallas has some nice ones too).

KC native
07-23-2009, 12:53 PM
and the fort worth zoo is pretty cheap.

Reaper16
07-23-2009, 12:55 PM
Thanks, guy. I'll just remember you're driven to fits over insults to the KC zoo and it makes you scream "asshat" like a retarded child.
Have fun at the zoo. Tell you what, go to the information booth next time you go. I'm gonna have them hold a collectors cup there just for you. That was every time you drink from it you can remember what a fantastic time you had.
That wasn't sarcasm from me, that really was a better response. Coming back at me with wit (relatively speaking) is more satisfying than whining.

blaise
07-23-2009, 01:10 PM
That wasn't sarcasm from me, that really was a better response. Coming back at me with wit (relatively speaking) is more satisfying than whining.

Thanks. I'll do my best to match the stellar kind of with you display when you call people that don't like the zoo, "asshat".
You're a regular Oscar Wilde.
So, don't cry because if people don't like the zoo, okay? The sun will come up tomorrow, you can see all the animals, and maybe even get a balloon.

allen_kcCard
07-23-2009, 01:11 PM
We were just there a couple weekends ago...very good zoo.

General admission is free, but you have to pay for some things, like the train rides, carousel, and some of the other things, like a silly 3D dinosaur moving thing where your chair jerks you around. You can get an armband outside for $10 that will get you into everything except for the stingray exhibit, but that is free itself if you get there before 9AM.

It raind like hell on us, so we rode the train around in circles for about half an hour before deciding it was setting in for a long rain, but before that it was great.

Demonpenz
07-23-2009, 01:12 PM
now it's time to hate me again.......put a balloon inside your pussy we can blow it up

Reaper16
07-23-2009, 01:14 PM
Thanks. I'll do my best to match the stellar kind of with you display when you call people that don't like the zoo, "asshat".
You're a regular Oscar Wilde.
So, don't cry because if people don't like the zoo, okay? The sun will come up tomorrow, you can see all the animals, and maybe even get a balloon.
Oh, do you have cursing filter on? Because I wasn't saying [donkey]hat. The four letters that came before hat rhyme with "runt."

blaise
07-23-2009, 01:15 PM
Oh, do you have cursing filter on? Because I wasn't saying [donkey]hat. The four letters that came before hat rhyme with "runt."

Oh, so it was even lamer than I first thought.

Demonpenz
07-23-2009, 01:22 PM
wait? kunt is bad word?

Reaper16
07-23-2009, 01:22 PM
wait? kunt is bad word?
punt, duh

blaise
07-23-2009, 01:26 PM
punt, duh

That's not a bad word in Herm Edwards dictionary.

Lumpy
07-23-2009, 01:51 PM
Awesome. Douchebaggery is afoot.

Any who, in regards to the Henry Doorly Zoo in Omaha... they have done a lot of renovations and such. The Desert Dome kicks ass! My favorite part of the zoo though is the Scott Aquarium.

Here's a linky for anyone interested... http://www.omahazoo.com/

Demonpenz
07-23-2009, 02:03 PM
omahawwwwwaaaa somewhere in middle america...get right to the heart of matters. it's the heart that matters more. think you better turn your ticket in...get your money back at the door