PDA

View Full Version : Football 2010 NFL Draft now a mini-series/3 days

LaChapelle
07-23-2009, 03:30 PM
NFL | 2010 Draft to be held over three days
Comment (0)
Thu, 23 Jul 2009 13:50:56 -0700

Brian McCarthy, of the NFL, reports on his Twitter Page that the 2010 NFL Draft will take place over a three-day span. The first round will start at 7:30 p.m. EST Thursday, April 22, rounds 2-3 will start at 6:30 p.m. Friday, April 23, and rounds 4-7 will start on Saturday, April 24 at 10 a.m.

LaChapelle
07-23-2009, 03:31 PM
It does tend to drag on. But it's got to be about the $$$$$

Reaper16
07-23-2009, 03:32 PM
Goddamnit.

Mecca
07-23-2009, 03:32 PM
If they thought it would get them more money they'd do it for an entire week with a round a day.

OnTheWarpath15
07-23-2009, 03:35 PM
Fuck this.

I guess the annual draft party is fucked.

sedated
07-23-2009, 03:36 PM
totally stupid. bye bye draft party. hello checking the internet Friday morning.

Mecca
07-23-2009, 03:37 PM
It's all about money now the 1st round will be in prime time. Considering how long 1st rounds take it'll be awesome when teams are picking at 1 in the morning.

Sweet Daddy Hate
(sigh)If only it could last forever...

sedated
draft weekend made an event out of a weekend that otherwise had nothing going on.

and here I thought this last year was fuqt up, moving round 3 to Sunday and messing with the starting times.

Buck
07-23-2009, 03:38 PM
That is so lame.

What about the West Coast people who have to work?

sedated
07-23-2009, 03:39 PM
That is so lame.

What about the West Coast people who have to work?

since when has the NFL given 2 shits about the west coast?

Ultra Peanut
07-23-2009, 03:40 PM
I QUIT

Dayze
07-23-2009, 03:40 PM
that blows.
if they wanted to do it over three days, why not move the 1st to Friday night, etc...

Thursday?WTF.

Mecca
07-23-2009, 03:41 PM
that blows.
if they wanted to do it over three days, why not move the 1st to Friday night, etc...

Thursday?WTF.

This way the draft ends on Saturday..I guess they feel people going to church Sunday morning really cuts into their audience.

Either way it's about money they put the 1st 3 rounds in prime time TV.

The Franchise
07-23-2009, 03:42 PM
Well....there goes my religious watching of the draft.

I'm going to be watching the start of the 1st and 2nd round while I'm at work. Watching....I mean checking the internet to see who got picked. This is complete bullshit on the part of the NFL. Fucking East Coast biased.

Dayze
07-23-2009, 03:43 PM
This way the draft ends on Saturday..I guess they feel people going to church Sunday morning really cuts into their audience.

Either way it's about money they put the 1st 3 rounds in prime time TV.

true; i would've thought they would make more money/more people would watch if Rounds 1-3 were on Friday night primetime.

I can't imagine there is a huge audience for the final rounds.

Bummer.

LaChapelle
07-23-2009, 03:43 PM
Will they have it in Vegas? They are moving it.

JuicesFlowing
07-23-2009, 03:44 PM
Fucking idiots. The first round on Thursday? Brilliant ... Why not make it Fri-Sun ...

The Bad Guy
07-23-2009, 03:45 PM
Will they have it in Vegas? They are moving it.

I have serious doubts they will ever move it from NYC.

The Franchise
07-23-2009, 03:45 PM
Is it still 15 minutes for the 1st round?

LaChapelle
07-23-2009, 03:46 PM
I have serious doubts they will ever move it from NYC.

The NFL will soon throw up for bids, money grabbing MOFOs.

The Bad Guy
07-23-2009, 03:46 PM
I really thought the 3:30 format the last 2 years was great.

I think this massively blows up in the NFL's face.

OnTheWarpath15
07-23-2009, 03:47 PM
Is it still 15 minutes for the 1st round?

It wasn't 15 minutes for the 1st round last year, was it?

I thought it was 10 on Day one, 5 on Day two.

:shrug:

The Franchise
07-23-2009, 03:47 PM

I thought it was 12 for the first round.....10 for rounds 2 and 3...and then 5 minutes for 4-7

The Bad Guy
07-23-2009, 03:48 PM

Yep, it was.

Mecca
07-23-2009, 03:48 PM
Fucking idiots. The first round on Thursday? Brilliant ... Why not make it Fri-Sun ...

Honestly?

You get better ratings for a weeknight than you do for anything on the weekend.

The difference in rating a show would pull on a Thursday in comparison to a Friday is pretty staggering.

The Franchise
07-23-2009, 03:50 PM
Yep, it was.

So lets see here......it starts at 7:30 PM EST.

If every team took the entire 15 minutes they're allotted.....the shit wouldn't be over until 3:30 AM EST.

That's fucking retarded.

OnTheWarpath15
07-23-2009, 03:50 PM

If every team took the entire 15 minutes they're allotted.....the shit wouldn't be over until 3:30 AM EST.

That's fucking retarded.

At least I won't have to worry about staying up late for a few more years.

The Bad Guy
07-23-2009, 03:52 PM

That's ****ing retarded.

There is 10 minutes between picks. Not 15. They changed it to 10 2 years ago.

The Franchise
07-23-2009, 03:52 PM
At least I won't have to worry about staying up late for a few more years.

Yeah....but I'd be pissed if my team won the Superbowl....and now I have to wait until almost 4 in the morning to see who they pick.

aturnis
07-23-2009, 03:53 PM
that blows.

Thursday?WTF.

Lots of people go out of friday night. Cuts their market in damn near half I'm sure.

Mecca
The NFL will figure out every single way they can to milk every last dollar out of the golden goose they have till they kill it.

58kcfan89
Wow, I can't believe this crap. I freaking love draft weekend and parties & such, it's gunna be hard to get any parties together on a Thursday night...

Did anyone think about the ratings past the 20th overall pick? I hope this draft gets the lowest ratings ever & they're forced to move it back to Saturday. That being said, I'll still watch it and likely try to watch the entire thing, but that doesn't make this any less stupid.

OnTheWarpath15
Yeah....but I'd be pissed if my team won the Superbowl....

Ack.

The Franchise
07-23-2009, 03:55 PM
Ack.

Way to only use half of my quote.....asshole. :cuss::D

OnTheWarpath15
07-23-2009, 03:55 PM
If we didn't live in such a instant gratification, media overload society, I'd DVR the fucker, and still have the draft party on Saturday.

But it would take a fucking miracle for 6-10 guys to not hear anything over two days.

OnTheWarpath15
07-23-2009, 03:56 PM
Way to only use half of my quote.....asshole. :cuss::D

:D

Mecca
07-23-2009, 03:56 PM
Wow, I can't believe this crap. I freaking love draft weekend and parties & such, it's gunna be hard to get any parties together on a Thursday night...

Did anyone think about the ratings past the 20th overall pick? I hope this draft gets the lowest ratings ever & they're forced to move it back to Saturday. That being said, I'll still watch it and likely try to watch the entire thing, but that doesn't make this any less stupid.

Sadly Thursday night is a big TV night there's a good chance they'll pull the highest rating ever and have more money to show for it due to it being in prime time...

The Franchise
07-23-2009, 03:57 PM
If we didn't live in such a instant gratification, media overload society, I'd DVR the fucker, and still have the draft party on Saturday.

But it would take a fucking miracle for 6-10 guys to not hear anything over two days.

Luckily I won't have to deal with that. I guess I'll just bring my laptop into work and stream it until I get done at 5. I'm going to be pissed though when the Chiefs are picking in the top 3 again....and I'm sitting at work.

The Franchise
07-23-2009, 03:58 PM
Sadly Thursday night is a big TV night there's a good chance they'll pull the highest rating ever and have more money to show for it due to it being in prime time...

God I hate ratings. Honestly....who gives a fuck if the draft goes Primetime? Do they really think that putting it on a Thursday night....they're going to get a bunch of families to switch over and watch it?

sedated
07-23-2009, 04:00 PM
Sadly Thursday night is a big TV night

its a big TV night already, you think casual fans are going to turn off CSI (or whatever) to watch the draft?

the only reason they got viewers on the weekend is because there's nothing else going on, and it turned into an event for football fans. there's no "event" when its one round on a weeknight.

OnTheWarpath15
07-23-2009, 04:00 PM
God I hate ratings. Honestly....who gives a fuck if the draft goes Primetime? Do they really think that putting it on a Thursday night....they're going to get a bunch of families to switch over and watch it?

That's what is surprising to me.

I really don't see them gaining new viewers just because it's on Thursday night. You're not going to get families and couples that watch certain shows religiously to switch.

If anything, you're going to lose viewers because of it.

58kcfan89
07-23-2009, 04:01 PM

Yeah I know it's a big TV night and whatnot, but after about the 20th pick, it'll be so late, I'll bet people start looking for other alternatives or turn the TV off to go to sleep. Only the die-hard fans will stay up late to watch the entire thing, and they may not be able to because of work or school or whatever.

Mecca
07-23-2009, 04:02 PM
They're thinking is more people care about the NFL than anything and it'll be easier to get them to switch stations while already at home than not doing something with their families on their days off.

CoMoChief
07-23-2009, 04:02 PM
This is fucking stupid but I'm sure it's about prime time ratings.

Mecca
07-23-2009, 04:03 PM
It's about money plain and simple, they will figure out every single way they can to milk every last penny out of everything.

The Franchise
07-23-2009, 04:03 PM
Yeah I know it's a big TV night and whatnot, but after about the 20th pick, it'll be so late, I'll bet people start looking for other alternatives or turn the TV off to go to sleep. Only the die-hard fans will stay up late to watch the entire thing, and they may not be able to because of work or school or whatever.

The only viewers that they're going to get that late are the DIE-HARD draft fans....and the fans of the teams who have yet to pick.

Mecca
07-23-2009, 04:04 PM
The only viewers that they're going to get that late are the DIE-HARD draft fans....and the fans of the teams who have yet to pick.

Diehards are usually the only people that watch the draft to begin with, ask casual fan about it and they'll tell you how boring it is.

The Franchise
07-23-2009, 04:10 PM
Diehards are usually the only people that watch the draft to begin with, ask casual fan about it and they'll tell you how boring it is.

Well the NFL is stupid then....because this experiment is going to fail horribly. If anything....I would think that they're going to lose viewers....especially on the West Coast.

aturnis
07-23-2009, 04:10 PM

The first round will be over by what? 12:30? That's if every team uses the entire 10 min. Most of the people on this board are still posting or trolling into the wee hours. I'd bet the majority are up until at least 10:30-11:00 and would be more than willing to stay up until 12:30 if they care.

The Franchise
07-23-2009, 04:12 PM
The first round will be over by what? 12:30? That's if every team uses the entire 10 min. Most of the people on this board are still posting or trolling into the wee hours. I'd bet the majority are up until at least 10:30-11:00 and would be more than willing to stay up until 12:30 if they care.

15 minutes......and if everyone uses the entire 15 minutes....it's 8 hours long. That's 12:30 on the West Coast......3:30 on the East. Even Diehard fans aren't going to stay up until 4 in the morning to watch the draft.

Mecca
07-23-2009, 04:13 PM
They shortened the time to 10 minutes so why do you keep saying 15?

The Franchise
07-23-2009, 04:14 PM
They shortened the time to 10 minutes so why do you keep saying 15?

For the 1st round? Ehhh....whatever.....it's still going to go fucking late on the East coast.....not to mention that starting at 4:30 on the West coast is bullshit.

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-23-2009, 04:20 PM
Luckily I won't have to deal with that. I guess I'll just bring my laptop into work and stream it until I get done at 5. I'm going to be pissed though when the Chiefs are picking in the top 3 again....and I'm sitting at work.

Shit on a stick and dear God NO; Pioli sucks ass that high up and has no business whatsoever picking there.:shake:

C'mon team; at least win us the fuck out of that nightmare.:rolleyes:

aturnis
07-23-2009, 04:22 PM
Well the NFL is stupid then....because this experiment is going to fail horribly. If anything....I would think that they're going to lose viewers....especially on the West Coast.

I disagree. I think they'll get the best ratings ever, or close to. I like this change.

Draft weekend wasted a whole weekend for me. I could have been fixing, building something. Helping someone, or hangning out w/ or going to see family. Instead, I gotta stay tuned to this shit.

Thursday night is perfect. Most people, don't live their lives on a t.v. schedule. Also, most men I know watch espn, rome, pti, ath. Not all of them always, but some of them fairly consistently. They don't watch Desperate housewives and other b.s. so I don't think there will be too much competition for viewers. Just try to get college, h.s. and 20 something guys to stay home on friday night.

Bottom line, in my life, ain't jack going on Thursday night.

The Franchise
07-23-2009, 04:23 PM
I disagree. I think they'll get the best ratings ever, or close to. I like this change.

Draft weekend wasted a whole weekend for me. I could have been fixing, building something. Helping someone, or hangning out w/ or going to see family. Instead, I gotta stay tuned to this shit.

Thursday night is perfect. Most people, don't live their lives on a t.v. schedule. Also, most men I know watch espn, rome, pti, ath. Not all of them always, but some of them fairly consistently. They don't watch Desperate housewives and other b.s. so I don't think there will be too much competition for viewers. Just try to get college, h.s. and 20 something guys to stay home on friday night.

Bottom line, in my life, ain't jack going on Thursday night.

If draft weekend wastes a whole weekend for you....then don't fucking watch it. Go out and hang out with your family or do what you want to.

|Zach|
07-23-2009, 04:25 PM
No big deal, now I will watch it on Thursday night I guess.

I didn't even catch it this past year, was working. I thought that was going to be a bigger deal then it really was.

DTLB58
07-23-2009, 04:31 PM
:# :cuss: :mad:

Why? Why can't the NFL just leave stuff the way it freaking is?

Always freaking have to change sh*t!

I loved draft weekend.

chiefqueen
07-23-2009, 04:39 PM
The NBA may have something to do with this. The NBA season I'm guessibg will end on 4/21 and the 2010 NBA playoffs won't start until 4/24. I guess ESPN convinced the NFL instead of us talking about the draft for 2 nights why don't you just go ahead and draft.

aturnis
07-23-2009, 06:58 PM
If draft weekend wastes a whole weekend for you....then don't ****ing watch it. Go out and hang out with your family or do what you want to.

Alright. On the same token, if you don't want to watch the draft on thursday night, DVR it, and watch it on saturday morning ya goon!:D Jesus.

Just saying, the average and casual fans do not watch...not at all as it stands. I work with, talk to and interact with plenty of casual to average fans, and NONE of them know ANYTHING about the draft except who their team took in the first round, some don't even know that. Why do you think I hang out at the planet? I'm not an average fan and I'd like to talk about football more often then I'm given the chance.

DaneMcCloud
07-23-2009, 09:28 PM
That's what is surprising to me.

I really don't see them gaining new viewers just because it's on Thursday night. You're not going to get families and couples that watch certain shows religiously to switch.

If anything, you're going to lose viewers because of it.

Not true.

Do you really think even the average football fan is going to watch a rerun of "The Office" or "CSI-Vegas" (if it even lasts past this season), etc.?

There is absolutely NO WAY that ABC, CBS, NBC or Fox, all who carry the NFL in one form or another, broadcast a first-run episode the first night of the NFL Draft.

Bank on it, Dudes.

Tribal Warfare
07-23-2009, 09:39 PM
Fucking Goodell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:banghead:

DaneMcCloud
07-23-2009, 09:40 PM
Fucking Goodell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:banghead:

Why?

I'd much rather watch the NFL Draft on a Thursday night in April than waste a Saturday & Sunday when I could be at the beach.

Chiefs=Champions
07-23-2009, 09:49 PM
Oh fuck this... 2 days was acceptable, but 3? Money loving scum bags...

BigMeatballDave
07-23-2009, 09:53 PM
Stupid x infinity

Tribal Warfare
07-23-2009, 09:56 PM
Why?

I'd much rather watch the NFL Draft on a Thursday night in April than waste a Saturday & Sunday when I could be at the beach.

You just had to rub it in with your lavish lifestyle ;) :D

DaneMcCloud
07-23-2009, 09:57 PM
You just had to rub it in with your lavish lifestyle ;) :D

Moi?

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-23-2009, 10:29 PM
My God; it's going to become a fucking reality/game show by the time this shit is all said and done, and Dane's going to be our "Ryan Seacrest".

Damnit McCloud!:cuss::D

Mr. Kotter
07-23-2009, 11:54 PM
Why?

You little....bi-atch. :cuss: :mad:

:cuss:

Mecca
07-23-2009, 11:58 PM
Just wait they will eventually break it down to a round each night in prime time 7 rounds 7 days.

LaChapelle
02-04-2010, 11:07 PM
Reminder
Bump