PDA

View Full Version : Music Assistance from the guitar types

JimNasium
07-24-2009, 06:18 AM
My daughter has outgrown her Alvarez MSD1 (http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Alvarez-Masterworks-Series-MSD1-Small-Dreadnought-Guitar?sku=518827) and wants to trade it in on an electric guitar. It's in "like new" condition with the original gig bag. What value should I expect to get on a trade for this guitar?

SDChief
07-24-2009, 06:36 AM
In most cases I've delt with, it is the same as trading in a car-you are going to lose money, but the more the electric she is getting is worth, the more they may give you on the trade and vise versa. I wouldn't expect to get more than half of what a new one is going for, maybe less if the store your trading with has too many acoutics or too many Alvarez's. Definatly shop around. this is where craislist and ebay can be your freind although it can be a hassle to sell/ship guitars. good luck

SDChief
07-24-2009, 06:43 AM
also, see what they are going for on ebay. I know that some of the shops I go to go right to ebay when they get a trade to see what they are selling for there. (they look at completed listings, not what people are asking for and not getting) They then use that as their base to know what to give you. it is going to be less than the ebay price, so they can stay competetive with the internet. a lot use musicains friend as a base too becuase they are the lowest new price in most cases. Also call them on their price, if she finds one she likes, look it up on Muscians Friend, my local store will match MF's price cause they have been losing a lot of buisness to the internet. Like I said above, it's like buying a car, the more info you have the better deal you can get. I have also found that sometimes you can save as much on MF or other online guitar sellers as they would give you on a trade. Once again--good luck...

Demonpenz
07-24-2009, 06:57 AM
i see Alvarez go for 150-200 on craigslist and those are with the wood finish all around the guitar . I would keep it because you can't always plug in all the time

Dayze
07-24-2009, 07:03 AM
Yeah,
Much like trading in a car, video game etc you’re probably better off selling it on your own.

The guitar shop will low-ball you; because honestly – what do they need another guitar for? They’ll offer $50-75 for it I suspect. If you’re not trading in a top of the line guitar etc, you can expect to get bent over. Hell, I was looking for a new guitar a while back, and was also going to scale down from my Marshall 4x12” to a Line 6 2x12” and they offered me 150 for my Marshall. Lol. I laughed and walked. Sold it about a month later for $450. Which is more in line with the value.

You may be able to eek a little more out of them if you’re planning on droping $800-1k on a new axe, but they more likely will offer to throw in extras instead (cables, gig-bag, strap, etc)

I’m sure there are a lot of players on CP who might be interested.

Hope this helps/My $.02.

DMAC
07-24-2009, 07:51 AM
I would take nothing less than 250 for it

Dayze
07-24-2009, 07:59 AM
I would take nothing less than 250 for it

Yeah; if it’s in that good of shape etc, no reason not to take less than 250 etc.
But, I doubt a guitar shop would give much $ for it.
I could be wrong though etc.

Lzen
07-24-2009, 09:33 AM
...was also going to scale down from my Marshall 4x12” to a Line 6 2x12” and they offered me 150 for my Marshall...

ROFL ROFL

alpha_omega
07-24-2009, 09:36 AM
She should keep it....you can never have too many guitars!

Braincase
07-24-2009, 09:39 AM

You're never too young to acquire G.A.S. - Guitar Acquisition Syndrome.

Dayze
07-24-2009, 09:45 AM

Indeed.
I still have a Fender Talon from when I was 16.
:D

Dayze
07-24-2009, 09:46 AM
ROFL ROFL

Yeah...pretty much.
it was so ridiculous I couldn't even speak.

Ebolapox
07-24-2009, 09:57 AM
it's been said, the guitar store will rip you off as much as they can. we talking guitar center in spfd? if so, avoid like the plague. they've got some decent deals from time to time, but they suck in my experience.

RJ
07-24-2009, 10:06 AM
Another vote for keeping the acoustic, especially if you think you're getting hosed on the trade.

Jilly
07-24-2009, 10:14 AM

This.....or she could loan it out to some kid who is just learning and she could teach him/her.

DaneMcCloud
07-24-2009, 10:23 AM
The way trade-ins work is like this:

Guitar "Retails" for $399.99 but "MAP" (Minimum Advertised Price) is $275.00. Guitar salesman checks out your trade-in, checks with his boss and offers you $150.00. You say "Great, let's do it!", thinking you'll only be out $125.00 dollars ($275-$150).

Once you get to the register and you're rung up, the salesman says "Okay, that'll be $250 plus tax". "$250? It should be $125!". Salesman says "Oh, on trade-ins, we take full retail minus the trade. We can't do MAP minus the trade because we'd lose money".

You're always better off selling an instrument independently rather than trading it in.

DaneMcCloud
07-24-2009, 10:24 AM

Unless they're crap

:D

Lzen
07-24-2009, 10:26 AM

Awesome! :thumb:

Simply Red
07-24-2009, 10:39 AM
Hi Jim, good to see ya'

I can't really help out w/ your guitar question, but I'm glad this surfaced. I've been meaning to tell you to let me know if you have any cooking questions, or food related questions. Please let me know if I can help.