PDA

View Full Version : Life My co-worker wants me to bail him out of jail

RJ
07-24-2009, 04:43 PM
So tell me.....am I being a prick or did I do the right thing?

I get a phone call here at work this morning, a recorded message telling me I'm receiving a call from an inmate at the county detention center. It's my co-worker and he got locked up last night for DUI. His bail has been set at $7500 and he's looking for someone to put up the 10% ($750 for the math challenged) with the bail bondsman. He can pay the money back once he gets out. Unfortunately, though, the $750 isn't all that's required. The bail bondsman also requires a personal guarantee that this guy shows up for trial or the guarantor will be responsible for the whole $7500.

The co-worker has no family here other than an ex-wife and a daughter and I don't think they're going to be any help. As far as I know, he doesn't have any close friends. He asked me to call the owner of the company we work for, but he's on vacation this week. He says he doesn't even know a phone number for anyone else since all the numbers are in his phone that, of course, he doesn't have. Basically, I am the guy's only lifeline to the outside world.

Also, another key point......he was probably going to get fired next week. The dude is dumb as a freaking shovel.

I don't have a problem fronting him $750 for a couple of days but I do have a problem with signing a $7500 guarantee. I hated telling him no. Being in jail sucks, even a short stay. He really put me in an awkward position. Six billion people in the world and I'm the only one he asked.

Prick or pragmatic?

OnTheWarpath15
07-24-2009, 04:45 PM
Looks like we found one of Luv's alternate logins.

J/K
:p

Hootie
07-24-2009, 04:47 PM
Yikes. That's a really, really, really, really tough call.

Phobia
Pragmatic. You are not your co-worker's keeper. In fact, you have zero responsibility for him. How can you be responsible for him when he's not responsible for himself?

Donger
Absolutely not.

Bugeater
07-24-2009, 04:48 PM
Yeeeaaahh....no.

KCUnited
07-24-2009, 04:48 PM
Can't he just use a bondsman?

Chiefnj2
07-24-2009, 04:49 PM
I would have contacted the ex for him.

I'm kind of surprised he wasn't booked and released once he sobered up.

Phobia
07-24-2009, 04:50 PM
I would have contacted the ex for him.

Clearly, we're talking about multiple infractions.

OnTheWarpath15

I'm guessing there's more to the story.

kstater
There's two people I'd bail out of jail. And they ain't ever going to jail

Skip Towne
07-24-2009, 04:51 PM
:thumb: This turned upside down

Bugeater
07-24-2009, 04:52 PM
I'm guessing there's more to the story.
Yep, $7500 sounds a bit steep for a DUI...unless it's your fifth.

RJ
07-24-2009, 04:54 PM
Can't he just use a bondsman?

It's the bondsman who requires the guarantee.

I spoke with them again, they tell me the guarantor and the person putting up the $750 don't have to be one and the same. As I mentioned, I don't mind fronting the money. Maybe he can get the ex to sign the guarantee.

RJ
07-24-2009, 04:55 PM
Clearly, we're talking about multiple infractions.

I hadn't thought of that. I really don't know much about these types of matters.

kstater
07-24-2009, 04:56 PM
It's the bondsman who requires the guarantee.

I spoke with them again, they tell me the guarantor and the person putting up the $750 don't have to be one and the same. As I mentioned, I don't mind fronting the money. Maybe he can get the ex to sign the guarantee.

I'm sorry, unless you completely trust the guy(ie he's a childhood friend, millionaire, etc) stay out of it. There's a reason he's got a $7500 bail, and it's not for being a model citizen.

FAX
07-24-2009, 04:56 PM
Dang, Mr. RJ. This is a spiritual challenge, right here. I can only tell you what I'd do.

My brain would say no. Too much risk, too little reward.

My heart, however, would tell me it's the right thing to do. One of those, "If not for grace, there go I" kind of thing. I'd do it, but I'd probably wind up regretting it. If he were to skip on the court date, it would be a major screwing.

That's a lot of help, isn't it?

How old is the daughter? This is the kind of deal where family is your best option.

FAX

Skip Towne
07-24-2009, 04:59 PM
He's about to get fired. He has no ties to your city. Sounds like a good candidate for "flight to avoid prosecution" to me.

Bugeater
07-24-2009, 05:02 PM
Just from what you've said so far, if you front him that money you'd probably better prepare yourself to never see it again.

Fairplay
07-24-2009, 05:03 PM
Ha, that reminds so much of exactly what happened to me several years back.

Only i got a phone call on Thanksgiving day. Right when we were about to eat dinner with all the family. I got up and said i have an important matter i have to leave, i will be back, keep on eating without me. [I told them a few months later what had happened.]

In my case he was a solid and trusted friend. I had no question what so ever to get him out. Plus he has a job.

We still laugh about it to this day.

RJ
07-24-2009, 05:04 PM
Dang, Mr. RJ. This is a spiritual challenge, right here. I can only tell you what I'd do.

My brain would say no. Too much risk, too little reward.

My heart, however, would tell me it's the right thing to do. One of those, "If not for grace, there go I" kind of thing. I'd do it, but I'd probably wind up regretting it. If he were to skip on the court date, it would be a major screwing.

That's a lot of help, isn't it?

How old is the daughter? This is the kind of deal where family is your best option.

FAX

The daughter is probably 18 or 19. And yes, I agree, this is really a matter best handled by family.

On the one hand, he doesn't strike me as the sort who would skip bail. On the other hand, I know that he's more than likely going to get fired next week for unrelated causes and I don't have any idea how that might affect his future actions.

It's a bit of a sticky wicket.

I've always been a soft hearted guy but I've been burned for it in the past. I'd be willing to gamble $750 on him, but not $7500. And I really don't think Mrs. RJ would appreciate it at all.

FAX
07-24-2009, 05:04 PM
He's about to get fired. He has no ties to your city. Sounds like a good candidate for "flight to avoid prosecution" to me.

I think it's funny that Mr. RJ knows Midnight_Vulva.

But, you're right. Given all those factors, it's a risky deal. Too risky. Besides, if he runs, we'll have to gear up and go find the bastard. That takes time. We'd have to grow our hair out long, buy some leather vests and 2-way radios, get some ink, and find a fat, blond chick to drive the van. Too much trouble.

FAX

RJ
07-24-2009, 05:10 PM
Just from what you've said so far, if you front him that money you'd probably better prepare yourself to never see it again.

I could probably arrange for his next pay check to be delayed until I got paid back.

FAX
07-24-2009, 05:10 PM
The daughter is probably 18 or 19. And yes, I agree, this is really a matter best handled by family.

On the one hand, he doesn't strike me as the sort who would skip bail. On the other hand, I know that he's more than likely going to get fired next week for unrelated causes and I don't have any idea how that might affect his future actions.

It's a bit of a sticky wicket.

I've always been a soft hearted guy but I've been burned for it in the past. I'd be willing to gamble $750 on him, but not $7500. And I really don't think Mrs. RJ would appreciate it at all.

It's a tough deal, for sure. Especially considering the fact that he's on the verge of getting fired. That's really the kicker, right there.

Damn. I'd probably put up the $750 just for the karma investment. I wouldn't guarantee the full amount, though. Honestly, that's something that only family should do - either way you look at it.

It's a difficult situation, Mr. RJ.

FAX

Fairplay
07-24-2009, 05:13 PM
Yep, $7500 sounds a bit steep for a DUI...unless it's your fifth.

Maybe he drank a fifth to celebrate his fifth.

wild1
07-24-2009, 05:13 PM
General rule, don't guarantee someone else's debt, unless you are prepared to pay the full amount yourself. There's a reason why they need someone to guarantee it for them... because their word isn't good.

Skip Towne
07-24-2009, 05:17 PM
I think it's funny that Mr. RJ knows Midnight_Vulva.

But, you're right. Given all those factors, it's a risky deal. Too risky. Besides, if he runs, we'll have to gear up and go find the bastard. That takes time. We'd have to grow our hair out long, buy some leather vests and 2-way radios, get some ink, and find a fat, blond chick to drive the van. Too much trouble.

FAX

I get to be Leland

LaChapelle
07-24-2009, 05:21 PM
Ask the keyboard of doom.

wild1
07-24-2009, 05:23 PM
Also, if he's about to get fired, what prospect do you have of getting your money back anyway?

Even without the guarantee... I would not bail him. He could skip town before the night is out.

Very few people on earth I would do it for, only a spouse, best friend, child.

Well, the child I might let rot in the clink for a week or two :D

bishop_74
07-24-2009, 05:25 PM
I wouldn't touch that with a 10 ft douche nozzle. He can serve out his bond that way he doesn't have to owe anyone any money.

Frazod
07-24-2009, 05:27 PM
There are a handful of people on this planet that I would do this for. Some work friend who is "dumb as a shovel" ain't one of them.

You did the right thing.

Halfcan
07-24-2009, 05:28 PM
So tell me.....am I being a prick or did I do the right thing?

I get a phone call here at work this morning, a recorded message telling me I'm receiving a call from an inmate at the county detention center. It's my co-worker and he got locked up last night for DUI. His bail has been set at $7500 and he's looking for someone to put up the 10% ($750 for the math challenged) with the bail bondsman. He can pay the money back once he gets out. Unfortunately, though, the $750 isn't all that's required. The bail bondsman also requires a personal guarantee that this guy shows up for trial or the guarantor will be responsible for the whole $7500.

The co-worker has no family here other than an ex-wife and a daughter and I don't think they're going to be any help. As far as I know, he doesn't have any close friends. He asked me to call the owner of the company we work for, but he's on vacation this week. He says he doesn't even know a phone number for anyone else since all the numbers are in his phone that, of course, he doesn't have. Basically, I am the guy's only lifeline to the outside world.

Also, another key point......he was probably going to get fired next week. The dude is dumb as a freaking shovel.

I don't have a problem fronting him $750 for a couple of days but I do have a problem with signing a $7500 guarantee. I hated telling him no. Being in jail sucks, even a short stay. He really put me in an awkward position. Six billion people in the world and I'm the only one he asked.

Prick or pragmatic?

he will get free rent and make some new friends-he will actually thank you later

Frazod
07-24-2009, 05:29 PM
Looks like we found one of Luv's alternate logins.

My apologies, Luv, but I laughed my ass off when I read this. LMAO

SAUTO
07-24-2009, 05:29 PM
There are a handful of people on this planet that I would do this for. Some work friend who is "dumb as a shovel" ain't one of them.

You did the right thing.

my thoughts exactly

wild1
07-24-2009, 05:31 PM
Not to mention out of work, he will probably have no driver's license soon, since he has no money and thus will get no legal representation, you can guess.

Sure-Oz
07-24-2009, 05:32 PM
I would've told him to 'good luck on that'

what an idiot

Valiant
07-24-2009, 05:46 PM
No, you do not have the money..

Don't they release you after a while??

Skip Towne
07-24-2009, 05:51 PM
No, you do not have the money..

Don't they release you after a while??

A bondsman told me they keep lowering the bond until you can make it. Eventually they just kick you out.

Phobia
07-24-2009, 06:04 PM
The daughter is probably 18 or 19.

She could probably work $750 off in an evening or two. Pics?

blaise
07-24-2009, 06:08 PM
I'm sorry, unless you completely trust the guy(ie he's a childhood friend, millionaire, etc) stay out of it. There's a reason he's got a $7500 bail, and it's not for being a model citizen.

Yes- if he's your best friend or your brother you bail him out. If not, he can sit there for a bit.

luv
07-24-2009, 06:08 PM
If he has the money to pay you, wouldn't he have it to pay them?

Bugeater
07-24-2009, 06:11 PM
They won't let you out of jail to go to the bank.

Phobia
07-24-2009, 06:14 PM

You're not allowed to offer financial advice on these types of threads. You're disqualified forevah.

Fairplay
07-24-2009, 06:20 PM
I would say something like, friend i need bailed out of jail here is how much i need.

And i would tell the person i will give them a valued possession of mine until it gets paid back by say within 30 days or it is yours. Get an honest 3rd party involved to witness the deal.

Put it all in writing. That way Judge Judy has a written agreement you could show her if deal goes to court.

bishop_74
07-24-2009, 06:22 PM
You're not allowed to offer financial advice on these types of threads. You're disqualified forevah.

In all fairness that's not really advice.

luv
07-24-2009, 06:23 PM
They won't let you out of jail to go to the bank.

The only experience I've had with bail bondsmen is when my dad bailed my brother out a few times. Of course, dad never saw the money back.

Besides, I realize they're probably not accepting a check, but couldn't they run a debit card or something?

Fishpicker
07-24-2009, 06:24 PM
$750 just seems like a waste. all that would do is spare him a few days of jail.

Bugeater
07-24-2009, 06:26 PM
The only experience I've had with bail bondsmen is when my dad bailed my brother out a few times. Of course, dad never saw the money back.

Besides, I realize they're probably not accepting a check, but couldn't they run a debit card or something?
I dunno, that wouldn't work for me because I have a daily spending limit of $50 on mine for security purposes.

AustinChief
07-24-2009, 06:29 PM
What state is this in? Texas(and I believe most states) has what is called a PR (personal recognizance) bond... after a couple of days (at most) he should qualify for one, so long as he isn't a flight risk.

Since that is the case, and it is a weekend... better for him (money wise) to save the cash and wait it out. Of course it all depends on the state , county and offense.

RJ
07-24-2009, 06:30 PM
A bondsman told me they keep lowering the bond until you can make it. Eventually they just kick you out.

They might possibly kick this guy out for being too stupid to keep. He may not be able to grasp the intricacies of life behind bars.

luv
07-24-2009, 06:30 PM
$750 just seems like a waste. all that would do is spare him a few days of jail.

No shit. Let him sober up one day, and then let him do some reading or something. He gets three hot meals per day. Tell him to consider it a mini vacation, or time to do some soul searching or something.

CCU2000
07-24-2009, 06:32 PM
They might possibly kick this guy out for being too stupid to keep. He may not be able to grasp the intricacies of life behind bars.

where the hell do you guys work at? mcdonalds?

RJ
07-24-2009, 06:35 PM
What state is this in? Texas(and I believe most states) has what is called a PR (personal recognizance) bond... after a couple of days (at most) he should qualify for one, so long as he isn't a flight risk.

Since that is the case, and it is a weekend... better for him (money wise) to save the cash and wait it out. Of course it all depends on the state , county and offense.

It's New Mexico, and I have no clue what the laws are regarding this. What I do know is that this state has lately seen some horrible accidents involving drunk drivers and the legal system is at least trying to make it appear they are cracking down.

The more I think about it, the more I think some other posters were right about this not being his first rodeo. If that's the case, then he probably should spend a little time in jail.

RJ
07-24-2009, 06:37 PM
where the hell do you guys work at? mcdonalds?

No, but i did put in an application there last week.

I have my fingers crossed.....

RJ
07-24-2009, 06:38 PM

Someone in the non-jail world has to put up the 10% and sign a guarantee for the balance.

Chiefnj2
07-24-2009, 06:43 PM
It's New Mexico, and I have no clue what the laws are regarding this. What I do know is that this state has lately seen some horrible accidents involving drunk drivers and the legal system is at least trying to make it appear they are cracking down.

The more I think about it, the more I think some other posters were right about this not being his first rodeo. If that's the case, then he probably should spend a little time in jail.

You could call a local bail bondsman and ask him the process how the guy in the jail can post bond himself, if possible. Maybe your co-worker can tell you how to get access to his house (or his ex has access to his house) and you can get his checkbook, bring it to him to sign and then bring the check to the bail bondsman.

Common sense says leave it be. Karma says try to help without losing any money yourself.

luv
07-24-2009, 06:46 PM
Someone in the non-jail world has to put up the 10% and sign a guarantee for the balance.

Makes sense. And no, not a prick. I like my coworkers, but I wouldn't risk losing $7500 over them.

Phobia
07-24-2009, 06:46 PM
In all fairness that's not really advice.

Technically but it's not as fun otherwise.

Skip Towne
07-24-2009, 06:55 PM
No shit. Let him sober up one day, and then let him do some reading or something. He gets three hot meals per day. Tell him to consider it a mini vacation, or time to do some soul searching or something.

The meals are not always hot. Sandwiches abound.

AustinChief
07-24-2009, 06:56 PM

No, this is probably a first offense. If it is a 2nd/3rd/etc.. he would have mandatory jail time. 96 hours/30 days/etc

Seeing it is a first offense, I imagine he will be released by Monday night at the latest. Depends on your county in New Mexico and how long it takes to appear before judge.

FAX
07-24-2009, 06:57 PM

ROFL

There's your answer.

FAX

JOhn
07-24-2009, 07:00 PM
The meals are not always hot. Sandwiches abound.

:thumb:

So I've heard

Chiefnj2
07-24-2009, 07:12 PM
Tell him to consider it a mini vacation, or time to do some soul searching or something.

Servicing the entire Arian Brotherhood may seem like a mini vacation to you, but to the guy in jail, not so much.

Skip Towne
07-24-2009, 07:18 PM
:thumb:

So I've heard

Sheriff Joe is famous for his green bologna.

Valiant
07-24-2009, 07:19 PM

LOL:LOL:

RJ
07-24-2009, 07:21 PM
Sheriff Joe is famous for his green bologna.

I know someone who was in one of Sheriff Joe's jails. He was elated to finally be transferred to a state prison. I think if he ever gets locked up again it will be somewhere outside Maricopa County.

Valiant
07-24-2009, 07:21 PM
Makes sense. And no, not a prick. I like my coworkers, but I wouldn't risk losing $7500 over them.

That 7500 would probably pay off what you owe on the car..

Groves
07-24-2009, 08:01 PM
If he's got something worth $7500 that he will give to you until the court date, I'd feel ok offering up the $750.

Param
07-24-2009, 08:09 PM
If he bails you out, you better get some head out of it.

JOhn
07-24-2009, 08:32 PM
I know someone who was in one of Sheriff Joe's jails. He was elated to finally be transferred to a state prison. I think if he ever gets locked up again it will be somewhere outside Maricopa County.

Food wise, prisons are much better. I've been told that by several people I know who've been.

Speaking from first hand knowledge, Park Co Wyoming (Cody), county jail food sucks ass. Cold sandwiches every night.

Fairplay
07-24-2009, 08:43 PM
Lets try prison food at home. This video shows you how. Bon Appetit!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ond5Z0X8v3Y&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ond5Z0X8v3Y&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

RJ
07-24-2009, 08:48 PM
The owner of the company we both work for just called me back from a message I had left him earlier. He asked me if I'd bailed him out and I told him I hadn't, and why. When he heard the part about $7500 guarantee, his response was "no f@cking way".

Sounds like dude will be locked up for a few days. C'est la vie, the collective wisdom of CP has rinsed away any guilt I might have felt. I thank you all for being either.....

a) a pragmatic bunch, or

b) just as much pricks as I am.

Depending on your POV, of course.

RJ
07-24-2009, 08:51 PM
Food wise, prisons are much better. I've been told that by several people I know who've been.

Speaking from first hand knowledge, Park Co Wyoming (Cody), county jail food sucks ass. Cold sandwiches every night.

Not that I've ever seen it or anything, but wtf is the "meat" on those sandwiches. Bologna isn't speckled, salami usually has a flavor of some sort. I hear the mustard tastes fine, though.

Hog's Gone Fishin
07-24-2009, 08:56 PM
Ask the bondsman if they'll accept $750 worth of boar sauce.

It'll go bad after 24 hours if he doesn't keep it at 60 degrees but we won't tell him that !

Pioli Zombie
07-24-2009, 09:09 PM
You did the right thing.

Then again, if he gets fucked in the ass in there he might be Robert DeNiro to your Nick Nolte.
Posted via Mobile Device

KCBOSS1
07-24-2009, 09:11 PM
that's a tough call. Been there before. But dang $750 does sound high...sounds like a repeater. Plus, my family got hit in 2000 by a drunk driver and cost me probably $65,000 out of pocket, plus, my wife not has cronic pain over broken bones...no drivers license, no insurance. I have no tolerance for drunk driving as a result.

JOhn
07-24-2009, 09:43 PM
Not that I've ever seen it or anything, but wtf is the "meat" on those sandwiches. Bologna isn't speckled, salami usually has a flavor of some sort. I hear the mustard tastes fine, though.

I hear they call it horsecock :spock:

And the slices are thin enough to read a newspaper through. Oh and a gallon of mayo on every one, god I HATE mayo.

Param
07-24-2009, 09:47 PM
This thread is funny.

I would NEVER bailout a coworker unless it's family. And even then I would have to consider the circumstances.

JOhn
07-24-2009, 09:48 PM
This thread is funny.

I would NEVER bailout a coworker unless it's family. And even then I would have to consider the circumstances.

I've bailed out a good friend, a couple of times. Never been burned, but then again they, the 2, were very good friends

Pioli Zombie
07-24-2009, 09:52 PM
Just think. Right now the guy is getting poled by a 300 pound black guy while his faced is pressed against the bars.

But I think you did the right thing.
Posted via Mobile Device

RJ
07-24-2009, 10:00 PM
Just think. Right now the guy is getting poled by a 300 pound black guy while his faced is pressed against the bars.

But I think you did the right thing.
Posted via Mobile Device

Probably not. There aren't very many black folks in New Mexico.

Maybe by a Mexican dude.

Pioli Zombie
07-24-2009, 10:13 PM
Probably not. There aren't very many black folks in New Mexico.

Maybe by a Mexican dude.
Ok. Just think right now he's getting his taco belled by a 300 pound mexican as his face is being pressed against the bars.

But I think you did the right thing
Posted via Mobile Device

Param
07-24-2009, 10:21 PM
I've bailed out a good friend, a couple of times. Never been burned, but then again they, the 2, were very good friends

Not me. Burned or not, i'm not getting involved.

Pioli Zombie
07-24-2009, 10:24 PM
Don't do the crime unless can get fucked up the ass in a jail cell.
Posted via Mobile Device

ClevelandBronco
07-24-2009, 10:45 PM
You mention that the idiot may lose his job in a week.

So how's he going to pay you back?

Smed1065
07-24-2009, 10:47 PM
No period!

Unless he is a relative, then no way.

Need windows 7 untouched? PM me. 64 bit.

CoMoChief
07-24-2009, 10:51 PM
Was he a prior offender or something? That's an awfully high bail amount for a DUI.

For that amount, I would also tell him no. That's a lot of money for you if he skips court.

Mojo Rising
07-25-2009, 01:43 AM
You mentioned that he doesn't have close friends. That is a telling sign.

If he were a stand-up guy that got in a bad situation and needed emergency help in the pinch...then you might want to consider it.

This doesn't sound like that type of situation.

Earthling
07-25-2009, 03:20 AM
All I know is that my wife of some 30 plus years told me that if I went to jail for a DUI to definitely NOT call her for bail...

CoMoChief
07-25-2009, 03:24 AM
All I know is that my wife of some 30 plus years told me that if I went to jail for a DUI to definitely NOT call her for bail...

What a shitty wife. I bet she would expect you to come pick her up/pay her bail amount had she be in that position.

Earthling
07-25-2009, 03:27 AM
What a shitty wife. I bet she would expect you to come pick her up/pay her bail amount had she be in that position.

Quite the contray. She would never drink and drive period..Im the black sheep in our duet :)

Mojo Rising
07-25-2009, 03:46 AM
Como is right. She should support you in richer and poorer...

You should dump her a** for even insinuating she would file for divorce for a minor discretion of yours. Marriage is about supporting your spouse. The chain is only as strong as the weakest link and hers doesn't sound too strong.

CoMoChief
07-25-2009, 03:50 AM
Quite the contray. She would never drink and drive period..Im the black sheep in our duet :)

You're missing the point. She's your wife. You're in a position you don't want to be in and she can help and refuses not to?!?!

If my wife ever did something like that. I'd just tell her pack up her shit by the time I get home.

Earthling
07-25-2009, 03:53 AM
Lol..How long you been married? Who said anything about filing for divorce? She will not bail me out of jail for a dui. I can live with that. She has belief in her convictions and driving while intoxicated is a biggy for her. BTW I seriously would not want to be with any other woman period. You know not what you speak of.

kstater
07-25-2009, 03:56 AM
You're missing the point. She's your wife. You're in a position you don't want to be in and she can help and refuses not to?!?!

If my wife ever did something like that. I'd just tell her pack up her shit by the time I get home.

You're looking at it wrong. You got in a position you should never have gotten in, period.

CoMoChief
07-25-2009, 04:01 AM
You're looking at it wrong. You got in a position you should never have gotten in, period.

Newsflash.....people drive drunk....people get arrested all the time. Whether that's right or not isn't the issue here.

I feel sorry for those who have gf's or wives that wouldn't bail their significant others out of jail.

What does the wife think that this will serve as a lesson for their husband? Fuck that.

Mojo Rising
07-25-2009, 04:02 AM

You must lead a charmed life to never be wrong. My wife and I support each other in our weak and strong times... without judgement.

Earthling
07-25-2009, 04:06 AM
Oh I could get arrested for just about anything else and she would be there. Just not for this one issue of dui. It works for us. Jesus, I got no problem with it. I just get a cab or sleep it off. Maybe saved some poor slob getting his ass run over and kept me from big time trouble.

Pioli Zombie
07-25-2009, 06:08 AM

Are you the guy who few weeks ago who was ragging on his wife because she didn't drive his drunk ass to taco bell at midnight so he went out driving?
Posted via Mobile Device

Pioli Zombie
07-25-2009, 06:10 AM
Newsflash.....people drive drunk....people get arrested all the time. Whether that's right or not isn't the issue here.

I feel sorry for those who have gf's or wives that wouldn't bail their significant others out of jail.

What does the wife think that this will serve as a lesson for their husband? Fuck that.

Newsflash alkie, not everyone drives drunk and get "arrested all the time".
Posted via Mobile Device

CoMoChief
07-25-2009, 07:08 AM
Newsflash alkie, not everyone drives drunk and get "arrested all the time".
Posted via Mobile Device

Hey dumbass learn how to read. I never once said "everyone" drives drunk. I'm saying that it happens all the time.

People get arrested all the time.

CoMoChief
07-25-2009, 07:10 AM
Are you the guy who few weeks ago who was ragging on his wife because she didn't drive his drunk ass to taco bell at midnight so he went out driving?
Posted via Mobile Device

I somewhat remember that thread. The wife should have driven him. I dont condone drunk driving, if the wife doesn't take him then he shouldnt go. but the wife should take him if he wants to go. I would do it for my wife/gf if I wasn't drunk myself.

RJ
07-25-2009, 07:12 AM
Another thread just reminded me of one more reason to not bail the guy out.

He's Fred Belitnikoff's cousin.

Pioli Zombie
07-25-2009, 07:13 AM
Do you guys need an AA meeting list or something?

Honey. I'm shitfaced. Get out of bed and drive me to taco bell or else I'll drive drunk and kill someone and it will be your fault.

A. Alcoholic
B. Ass Hole
C. All of the above
Posted via Mobile Device

RJ
07-25-2009, 07:16 AM
Lol..How long you been married? Who said anything about filing for divorce? She will not bail me out of jail for a dui. I can live with that. She has belief in her convictions and driving while intoxicated is a biggy for her. BTW I seriously would not want to be with any other woman period. You know not what you speak of.

Who are you going to believe.....some guys on the internet or your own lying eyes?

Face it, the woman's no good and you've been wasting your life with her.

ziggysocki
07-25-2009, 07:49 AM
Prick or pragmatic?

Pragmatic prick that made the right decision. A few days in the joint is a good wake up call. Much better than attending the funeral of a 13 year old and her 41 year old mom that you killed while running from the police cause you didn't want to pay 750 bail for a dui.

Bwana
07-25-2009, 08:00 AM
Send him a soap on a rope and call it good. It's not like he is a good buddy and if he is going to lose his job, there is a good chance you will get burned.

LaChapelle
07-25-2009, 08:11 AM
Ok. Just think right now he's getting his taco belled by a 300 pound mexican as his face is being pressed against the bars.

But I think you did the right thing
Posted via Mobile Device

Or perhaps he's doing the hammering. Yea he's bad, he's a man and he don't care. Cornering the smokes market.

skky man
07-25-2009, 08:12 AM
I have the luxury of raiseing my newphew's after just a few years of marraige to my wife cuz my brother in law can't stop beating his wife. He's paid his bonds man 25,000 over the last couple of years and was always signed out and then paid the guy. My brother got a DUI in Miami county and never saw the cell was bailed out and sent on his way by a bondsman.

CoMoChief
07-25-2009, 08:22 AM
Do you guys need an AA meeting list or something?

Honey. I'm shitfaced. Get out of bed and drive me to taco bell or else I'll drive drunk and kill someone and it will be your fault.

A. Alcoholic
B. Ass Hole
C. All of the above
Posted via Mobile Device

Or how about D, she refuses and no one goes to Taco Bell because the wife sucks.

Mr. Wizard
07-25-2009, 07:32 PM
Been there done that

don't go there

Pioli Zombie
07-25-2009, 08:55 PM
Or how about D, she refuses and no one goes to Taco Bell because the wife sucks.

Oh boo hoo little drunk boy doesn't get his tacos. Grow the fuck up.
Posted via Mobile Device

Skip Towne
07-25-2009, 09:04 PM
Oh boo hoo little drunk boy doesn't get his tacos. Grow the fuck up.
Posted via Mobile Device

Here on yet another Saturday night. It's no wonder women don't want you.

RJ
07-28-2009, 05:16 PM
So, I was able to give the (former) co-worker some good news and some bad news.

The good news was that I'm going to the jail tomorrow to pick up his property so that I can get his bank card and give it to another person who has agreed to sign the guarantee for the bond. I'll be doing a small size good deed by investing some time and making all the arrangements, but I won't be putting out any money or signing anything. In other words, I'm free and clear of any obligation.

The bad news was that he's fired. Now I have to say that I have fired a lot of people over the years, and I've even fired a few people by phone, but I've never fired someone by phone who was in jail at the time. It was a little awkward. Still, he was so damned relieved to find out he wasn't going to be stuck in jail for the next month that he wasn't too upset about all that. He probably will be later, but right now he's just thinking about that light that just got turned on down at the end of the tunnel.

I just hope the dumb bastard learns a lesson from this. Drunk driving ain't cool.

Oh, and those of you who said there must be more to the story were right. It was his second offense - the first was 20 years ago - and he also was driving on a suspended license and his tags were expired.

LaChapelle
07-28-2009, 05:23 PM
Can you draw unemployment if you were fired for being in jail?

RJ
07-28-2009, 05:25 PM

Eh, he was going to get fired anyway, mostly for being stupid. He can tell them that.

Skip Towne
07-28-2009, 05:27 PM

You can't draw social security if you are in jail. Or so they said.

AustinChief
07-28-2009, 05:54 PM
Oh, and those of you who said there must be more to the story were right. It was his second offense - the first was 20 years ago - and he also was driving on a suspended license and his tags were expired.

2nd offense means he had to spend at least 96 hours in jail before being bailed out regardless... At least that is my understanding of the law in New Mexico.

<TABLE class=small cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=2 width="96%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR class=normal bgColor=#dddddd><TD vAlign=top align=middle>2st Offense </TD><TD vAlign=top align=middle>
MISDEMEANOR </TD><TD>

2-year license revocation.
Up to 364 days jail, 96 hours mandatory.
Up to $1,000 fine, $500 mandatory
Other mandatory penalties: alcohol evaluation, community service, treatment, ignition interlock for 2 years.
Other: Up to 5 years probation.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

In New Mexico the second time you are convicted of a DWI you will serve a mandatory 96 consecutive hours in jail and receive a $500 fine. You will be ordered to 48 hours of community service and participate in an alcohol or drug abuse screening program at your own expense. Within a time frame specified by the court, you must complete, an inpatient, residential, or in-custody substance abuse treatment program that is at least 28 days in duration or a similar drug rehabilitation program. You will also be ordered to obtain a ignition interlock drivers license and pay for the installation of an ignition interlock device on your vehicle. The court could order an additional 360 days in jail and add another $500 fine.

Chiefnj2
07-28-2009, 06:39 PM
2nd offense means he had to spend at least 96 hours in jail before being bailed out regardless... At least that is my understanding of the law in New Mexico.

<TABLE class=small cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=2 width="96%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR class=normal bgColor=#dddddd><TD vAlign=top align=middle>2st Offense </TD><TD vAlign=top align=middle>
MISDEMEANOR </TD><TD>

2-year license revocation.
Up to 364 days jail, 96 hours mandatory.
Up to $1,000 fine, $500 mandatory
Other mandatory penalties: alcohol evaluation, community service, treatment, ignition interlock for 2 years.
Other: Up to 5 years probation.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

The 96 hours appears to be after you are convicted.

RJ
07-28-2009, 06:56 PM
2st Offense
MISDEMEANOR

* 2-year license revocation.
* Up to 364 days jail, 96 hours mandatory.
* Up to $1,000 fine, $500 mandatory
* Other mandatory penalties: alcohol evaluation, community service, treatment, ignition interlock for 2 years.
* Other: Up to 5 years probation.

The 96 hours appears to be after you are convicted.

Heh....2st Offense. I love New Mexico.

Phobia
07-28-2009, 08:39 PM
This thread bump was timely. Idiot worker of mine no-showed Monday. His ex called me asking me to bail him out. Not a chance. No way.

Fairplay
07-28-2009, 09:16 PM
This thread bump was timely. Idiot worker of mine no-showed Monday. His ex called me asking me to bail him out. Not a chance. No way.

What is he charged with? And how much is the bail?

Not to bash you or anything.

Bugeater
07-28-2009, 09:19 PM
Wow, I wonder what the penalty is for 3nd offense.

Fairplay
07-28-2009, 09:20 PM

I remember in the 90's or so they were trying to push a program called tough love, or something like that. It would be on tv.

Where youth offenders would be talked to by inmates how crappy prison time is. And that you may act tough now, but in prison you are the bitch, more or less. I always wondered why you don't hear about it anymore. I guess to many people were offended by it i presume.

SPchief
07-28-2009, 09:20 PM
I still don't think that bail is for his 2nd DWI, Ive unfortunately been down that road in the past and 7500 is WAY above what I had to bond out at.

Phobia
07-28-2009, 09:24 PM
What is he charged with? And how much is the bail?

Not to bash you or anything.

Claims it was two unpaid speeding tickets but bail is $2300. I've heard that song before.

Bugeater
07-28-2009, 09:27 PM
Claims it was two unpaid speeding tickets but bail is $2300. I've heard that song before.
When you get hauled in for unpaid tickets, don't you just have to pay the tickets to get out?

Fairplay
07-28-2009, 09:28 PM

Hey man. Everyone is responsible for their actions. Now its time for this person to pay the fiddler.

Its good to have friends and good friends but sometimes it is best to say you broke the law and you deal with the justice system. You're an adult now act like one.

Just Passin' By
07-28-2009, 09:29 PM
I remember in the 90's or so they were trying to push a program called tough love, or something like that. It would be on tv.

Where youth offenders would be talked to by inmates how crappy prison time is. And that you may act tough now, but in prison you are the bitch, more or less. I always wondered why you don't hear about it anymore. I guess to many people were offended by it i presume.

Scared Straight came out in 1978:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scared_Straight!

Fairplay
07-28-2009, 09:31 PM
Scared Straight came out in 1978:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scared_Straight!

Damn, time flys by. Anyone know why that program got trashed?

Bugeater
07-28-2009, 09:35 PM
Damn, time flys by. Anyone know why that program got trashed?
It's pointless, the young punks these days emulate prison life, that's why they wear their pants halfway down their asses with their underwear showing.

alanm
07-28-2009, 09:36 PM
So, I was able to give the (former) co-worker some good news and some bad news.

The good news was that I'm going to the jail tomorrow to pick up his property so that I can get his bank card and give it to another person who has agreed to sign the guarantee for the bond. I'll be doing a small size good deed by investing some time and making all the arrangements, but I won't be putting out any money or signing anything. In other words, I'm free and clear of any obligation.

The bad news was that he's fired. Now I have to say that I have fired a lot of people over the years, and I've even fired a few people by phone, but I've never fired someone by phone who was in jail at the time. It was a little awkward. Still, he was so damned relieved to find out he wasn't going to be stuck in jail for the next month that he wasn't too upset about all that. He probably will be later, but right now he's just thinking about that light that just got turned on down at the end of the tunnel.

I just hope the dumb bastard learns a lesson from this. Drunk driving ain't cool.

Oh, and those of you who said there must be more to the story were right. It was his second offense - the first was 20 years ago - and he also was driving on a suspended license and his tags were expired.Shit.. New Mexico must have draconian DUI laws. In Nebraska a DUI only stays on your record 15 yrs. But actually if 7 pass between arrests you'll only be charged with a first again.

Fairplay
07-28-2009, 09:42 PM
Here is a video of my speeding ticket Phobia...please bail me out.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/A6a0pC2SbDU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/A6a0pC2SbDU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

RJ
07-28-2009, 09:43 PM
Shit.. New Mexico must have draconian DUI laws. In Nebraska a DUI only stays on your record 15 yrs. But actually if 7 pass between arrests you'll only be charged with a first again.

Then perhaps the guy is just full of crap.....or probably he is just full of crap.

I'm glad i got the go-ahead to fire him, working with him after this would have been hard.

Fairplay
07-28-2009, 09:49 PM
It's pointless, the young punks these days emulate prison life, that's why they wear their pants halfway down their asses with their underwear showing.

Today i saw this dude walking around, i won't state what color he is, i don't want to appear racist. But his underwear was way up with one hand holding up his pants that were down to his knees.

I'm think you know how stupid you look?

Look cool though, you just keep on looking cool.

Fish
07-28-2009, 09:53 PM
<object width="512" height="296">Scared Straight works...

<embed src="http://www.hulu.com/embed/dCYbbtEamYJT7kpEb-Kttw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="512" height="296"></object>

RJ
07-28-2009, 10:03 PM
Today i saw this dude walking around, i won't state what color he is, i don't want to appear racist. But his underwear was way up with one hand holding up his pants that were down to his knees.

Was he white?

Cause I see that all the time and the kids are always white.

That's probably because there aren't that many black folks here.

JOhn
07-28-2009, 10:07 PM
Shit.. New Mexico must have draconian DUI laws. In Nebraska a DUI only stays on your record 15 yrs. But actually if 7 pass between arrests you'll only be charged with a first again.

WY if you have 3 in 10 years or a total of 5 in a lifetime it's a felony with mandatory prison.

alanm
07-28-2009, 10:12 PM
WY if you have 3 in 10 years or a total of 5 in a lifetime it's a felony with mandatory prison.I can see the 3 in 10 years. But I think 5 in your lifetime is a little more harsh.. Or not.

Phobia
07-29-2009, 12:11 AM
WY if you have 3 in 10 years or a total of 5 in a lifetime it's a felony with mandatory prison.

It should be felony stupidity. If you get 4 and don't figure out the whole alcoholic thing MOVE elsewhere.

Mile High Mania
07-29-2009, 12:58 AM
I didn't read the 2 pages of replies... but, I think the right play here is to "pass" and just move on.

Otter
07-29-2009, 06:44 AM

When I see people dressed like that I always want to start acting crazy and chase them with a tire iron or let loose a big dog to start chasing them just to see them try and run.

Skyy God
07-29-2009, 08:49 AM
When you get hauled in for unpaid tickets, don't you just have to pay the tickets to get out?

One might think so but no, that's not the case.

MOhillbilly
07-29-2009, 08:59 AM
Servicing the entire Arian Brotherhood may seem like a mini vacation to you, but to the guy in jail, not so much.

you mean Aryan?