PDA

View Full Version : News Mission residents: URBAN CHICKENS?!

Stanley Nickels
07-25-2009, 04:14 PM
Link: Mission to have hearing on Urban Chickens
http://www.kansascity.com/shawnee_mission/story/1315769.html

I'm hearing more and more about possible legislation in Mission, KS, which would allow for residents to raise chickens in their yards.

I've heard of this in places like Portland, but nowhere in Mid-America.. does anyone know other places that allow this? How is it working out?

I'll be honest, I'm intrigued. Any other Mission CP users have an opinion about this?

Stanley Nickels
07-25-2009, 04:15 PM
Also, if there's some technique (besides copy-and-paste) for inserting the text of a news link into the post, you can teach me that :)

Skip Towne
07-25-2009, 04:18 PM
I thought Mission was a very high rent area. Tom Watson high.

Toadkiller
07-25-2009, 04:18 PM
I live in Portland, OR and backyard chickens are huge here. Heck we have a flock of 5 and a cube by eglu. Sort of like an imac looking coop. I think every other person has chickens here. Just can't have a rooster within city limits. I havent really heard of any people having problems. No real smell if you take care of them properly.

KCUnited
07-25-2009, 04:20 PM
I don't know about Mission, but my buddy in Rosedale raises chickens in his yard.

RJ
07-25-2009, 04:26 PM
"Urban" chickens?

I take it that's your code word for "black".

Racist bastard!

Mr. Flopnuts
07-25-2009, 04:45 PM
Why? Do you guys really slaughter your own chickens and eat their eggs?

Baby Lee
07-25-2009, 04:46 PM
I'm smack dab in the city suburbs and a neighbor has 1/2 dozen chickens, sometimes they wander around the alley.

WilliamTheIrish
07-25-2009, 04:47 PM
I thought Mission was a very high rent area. Tom Watson high.

LMAO

I think you're confused. Possibly you are confusing Mission and Mission Hills?

Groves
07-25-2009, 04:53 PM
Portland, OR for sure, but all sorts of places right here in MO, in addition to other states.

Springfield lets you have up to 12 for 144 sq ft pen, and more if you give each additional one 12sqft.

St Louis lets you have them, too, but different regs.

I'm still designing my "chicken tractor", which is a pen that you move to different spots in the yard to spread out the "grass eating" and the "grass fertilizing".

I love me some eggs.

A lot of the laws are at sites like these.
www.urbanchickens.org
www.backyardchickens.com

Skip Towne
07-25-2009, 04:59 PM
LMAO

I think you're confused. Possibly you are confusing Mission and Mission Hills?

Yeah I think so. Mission Hills would never allow that. Where s Mission?

Stinger
07-25-2009, 05:09 PM
Link: Mission to have hearing on Urban Chickens

:hmmm:

http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/multimedia/photo_gallery/0904/this.day.sports.history.april15/images/san-diego-chicken.jpg

Mojo Jojo
07-25-2009, 05:42 PM
This has also been brought up in Overland Park and Prairie Village. It seems to be a new trend to raise chickens in Johnson County.