PDA

View Full Version : Football Burress going to the pokey for at least a year.

Kerberos
07-27-2009, 06:54 AM
If this is a repizle then SUCK IT cause I didn't see it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4358123

Burress OK'd year in jail, DA says

NEW YORK -- Manhattan's district attorney says he wants Giants wide receiver Plaxico Burress to serve time in prison, the New York Post has reported.

Robert Morgenthau told the newspaper that Burress, who shot himself with an unlicensed gun in November, was willing to agree to spend a year in jail, but prosecutors insisted on two, the Post said.

"We've always taken the position that he's going to have to go to jail, whether by trial or by plea," Morgenthau told the Post for a story in Monday's edition.

Burress shot himself in the thigh at a nightclub early on the morning of Nov. 29. He was charged with criminal possession of a weapon and faces up to 3½ years in prison. Burress has pleaded not guilty and is free on $100,000 bail.

His attorney, Benjamin Brafman, told the Post he was "bitterly disappointed."

"Now that they have drawn a line in the sand, this is going to be a battle," Brafman said.

Burress, who caught the go-ahead touchdown in the final minute for New York in the 2008 Super Bowl, also could face disciplinary action by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell under the league's personal conduct policy.

Scorp
07-27-2009, 07:07 AM
He will end up spending 3 months or less in county and probation the rest. Money always prevails.

Crush
07-27-2009, 07:10 AM
It is amazing how some people can ruin their lives. One minute he is catching the game-winning TD in the frigging Super Bowl. The next minute he is in legal trouble. A true definition of a dumbass.

RJ
07-27-2009, 07:14 AM
Drawn a line in the sand?

They offered a deal, he didn't take it. They shouldn't offer anything else, he gets what he gets.

Dumbass.

bringbackmarty
07-27-2009, 07:20 AM
He will end up spending 3 months or less in county and probation the rest. Money always prevails.

Not on a gun charge in New York State. He'll either be acquitted or do the time. Gun laws are strict there, and the D.A.'s office is really good at prosecuting gun cases. The judges throw the book at people with a gun offense.

Chiefnj2
07-27-2009, 07:44 AM
"Burress has been charged with second-degree criminal possession of a weapon, a felony that carries a minimum prison sentence of 3 1/2 years in prison and a maximum of 15 years upon conviction. According to a recent article by the AP, more than eight out of ten people arrested in New York City last year on the same charge received reduced charges, although some did include jail time. Further, only about 14% of the people charged last year with the same charge that Burress faces were ultimately convicted of it. Of the 1,248 people in New York City initially arrested on second-degree criminal weapons possession in 2008, 184 were convicted of the charge. About half were convicted of a misdemeanor or violation, and the remaining convictions were usually lesser felonies with some jail time."

Assuming the above is true, it looks like the DA is going for a harsher sentence than usual.

Skip Towne
07-27-2009, 07:52 AM
Why do some of these prosecutors insist on jail time? How does that do anyone any good?

Chiefnj2
07-27-2009, 07:54 AM
Why do some of these prosecutors insist on jail time? How does that do anyone any good?

It's for his own good. This way he won't be able to shoot himself in the thigh again.

If he isn't already Burress should consider spending some time in jail right now so he can get a credit for time served.

Kerberos
07-27-2009, 08:40 AM
If he isn't already Burress should consider spending some time in jail right now so he can get a credit for time served.

This would be the smart thing to do.......but then again the DUMBASS shot himself in the thigh with an unregisterd gun. How F***ing smart can he be? :shake:

Hammock Parties
07-27-2009, 08:42 AM
Plaxico Burress just longs for the days of the Old West, when no one had to register their six-gun and you were free to shoot yourself in the leg without any legal repercussion.

Otter
07-27-2009, 08:45 AM
That dumbass would be selling pencils from a cup on the street corner if he couldn't catch a ball.

Skip Towne
07-27-2009, 08:45 AM
Plaxico Burress just longs for the days of the Old West, when no one had to register their six-gun and you were free to shoot yourself in the leg without any legal repercussion.

In 1892 when the Daltons robbed two banks in Coffeyville, the city had an ordinance against carrying guns.

Hammock Parties
07-27-2009, 08:47 AM
In 1892 when the Daltons robbed two banks in Coffeyville, the city had an ordinance against carrying guns.

It was the end of an era.

How did you deal with it?

penguinz
07-27-2009, 08:48 AM
Why do some of these prosecutors insist on jail time? How does that do anyone any good?The mayor has demanded that there be jail time.

Bwana
07-27-2009, 08:54 AM
If it were any of us, we would be doing time, but after he throws a bunch of money at it, that won't happen. My guess is, he will end up with some kind of probation.

Kerberos
07-27-2009, 08:57 AM

Weren't you there when it went down? Did they hang for their sins?

Bwana
07-27-2009, 09:03 AM
Weren't you there when it went down? Did they hang for thier sins?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalton_Gang

Skip Towne
07-27-2009, 09:07 AM
Weren't you there when it went down? Did they hang for thier sins?

There wasn't enough left of them to hang.

Frazod
07-27-2009, 09:08 AM
I don't have any sympathy for Burress, but it seems like the fact that he shot HIMSELF, not somebody else, should count for something. He's already been punished by karma for his dumbassery. Does the state really need a piece as well?

BigMeatballDave
07-27-2009, 09:27 AM
Give him 90 days in lock up and fine him 5 mil.

Dylan
07-27-2009, 10:53 AM
Exclusive: New York Post

It's gonna be Sing Sing for Plaxico -- even if he cops to a lesser gun charge, says Manhattan District Attorney Robert Morgenthau.

Negotiations in the gun-possession case against ex-Giants wide receiver Plaxico Burress -- who accidentally shot himself in the leg at a Midtown nightclub last November -- fell apart earlier this year after prosecutors insisted he do two years' state time on a plea to a lesser gun charge, the DA told The Post.

The Super Bowl XLII star was willing to bite the bullet and do jail time, but he wouldn't agree to more than a year, the DA said.

"We've always taken the position that he's going to have to go to jail, whether by trial or by plea," the legendary DA -- who retires at year end after 34 years in office -- said, breaking his public silence about the case.

Morgenthau said his office would announce the grand jury's vote within four weeks.

The Post has also learned Giants linebacker Antonio Pierce is still on the hook for allegedly possessing his then-teammate's gun after the shooting -- and could face a jail term of his own.

Burress and Pierce were side by side in the VIP vestibule at the Midtown club Latin Quarter last November when the star receiver accidentally shot himself clear through the thigh with his own gun -- a .40-caliber Glock for which the player had an expired Florida permit.

According to law-enforcement sources, as Pierce tended to his trembling, bleeding teammate, a security worker at the club placed the blood-splattered gun in the glove compartment of Pierce's Cadillac Escalade.

Prosecutors have considered flipping the unidentified Latin Quarter security worker in hopes of nailing Pierce for allegedly bringing the Glock to Burress' Totowa, NJ, home after first driving Burress to New York-Cornell Hospital, sources said.

"To charge Antonio and immunize other individuals engaged in the same alleged conduct -- I would hope any grand jury would reject that outrageous proposition," Pierce lawyer Michael Bachner said when asked about the potential flip.

Burress' lawyer wife, Tiffany, allegedly handed the gun over to cops the next day, but she is not believed to be facing any charges.

Morgenthau did specify that no New York-Cornell medical personnel would be charged for failing in their obligation under state law to inform police about Burress' gunshot wound.

Hospital officials allowed the famous receiver to sign in under the name "Harris Smith."

Morgenthau played coy on Pierce.

"I'm not going to go into that," he said, smiling, when asked whether Burress alone faced gun-possession charges.

If the grand jury indicts either player on the top charge of criminal possession of a weapon, the mandatory minimum sentence is 3½ years in prison, although a plea to a lesser charge, such as attempted possession, could result in far less time.

Meanwhile, Burress has not ruled out testifying before the grand jury hearing the case, said his lawyer, Benjamin Brafman, who slammed the DA's office for failing to recognize what the lawyer called the "unique" and "sympathetic" circumstances of the self-inflicted shooting case.

"Now that they have drawn a line in the sand, this is going to be a battle," Brafman said, vowing to fight for his client "vigorously . . . and at trial if necessary.

"We are bitterly disappointed," Brafman said of the DA's decision to reject a low-jail plea and proceed with seeking an indictment.

Meanwhile, Burress has not ruled out testifying before the grand jury hearing the case, said his lawyer, Benjamin Brafman, who slammed the DA's office for failing to recognize what the lawyer called the "unique" and

If the grand jury indicts either player on the top charge of criminal possession of a weapon, the mandatory minimum sentence is 3½ years in prison, although a plea to a lesser charge, such as attempted possession, could result in far less time.

Meanwhile, Burress has not ruled out testifying before the grand jury hearing the case, said his lawyer, Benjamin Brafman, who slammed the DA's office for failing to recognize what the lawyer called the "unique" and "sympathetic" circumstances of the self-inflicted shooting case.

"Now that they have drawn a line in the sand, this is going to be a battle," Brafman said, vowing to fight for his client "vigorously . . . and at trial if necessary.

"We are bitterly disappointed," Brafman said of the DA's decision to reject a low-jail plea and proceed with seeking an indictment.

Meanwhile, Burress has not ruled out testifying before the grand jury hearing the case, said his lawyer, Benjamin Brafman, who slammed the DA's office for failing to recognize what the lawyer called the "unique" and

http://www.nypost.com/seven/07272009/news/regionalnews/manhattan/morgy_out_to_tackle_plax_181537.htm

Dylan
07-27-2009, 10:57 AM
New York Post

PLAX NOT CATCHING ON WITH ANY TEAM

July 27, 2009
Plaxico Burress' NFL career -- at least what's left of it -- is likely to remain in limbo with news that Manhattan DA Robert Morgenthau is hellbent on seeing him do prison time.

No team has made a move to sign Burress -- whom the Giants released earlier this year because of his pending gun-possession criminal case -- despite initial claims by his high-powered lawyer that several squads were talking about picking up the superstar wide receiver.

In addition to uncertainty about whether Burress will be indicted in several weeks -- just as NFL teams are training for the regular season -- general managers could be put off by the fact that the league has not finished its own inquiry into his conduct, which could result in a suspension.

Burress' lawyer, Benjamin Brafman, said the troubled Super Bowl standout deserves to play ball -- even with the criminal case looming over his head.

"The fact that Plaxico lost his job with the Giants over this incident before the charges were resolved is simply not fair," Brafman said.

Burress' career is not the only one at risk from Morgenthau's wrath. The DA has refused to rule out charging Burress' former Giants teammate, linebacker Antonio Pierce, for admittedly taking Burress' gun after he shot himself in the leg in a nightclub last November, and driving it to New Jersey.

paul.schwartz@nypost.com

http://www.nypost.com/seven/07272009/news/regionalnews/not_catching_on_with_any_team_181553.htm

Dylan
07-27-2009, 10:58 AM
Sing Sing!

http://www.nypost.com/seven/07272009/photos/plaxico_burress.jpg

In case you missed the "Perp Walk"

RustShack
07-27-2009, 10:59 AM
He should move to Kansas City and never go back to New York for court.

Mecca
07-27-2009, 11:05 AM
I wouldn't agree to 2 years in jail either.

LaChapelle
07-27-2009, 11:08 AM
Good thing he shot himself and not a dog. He'd get the chair.

MMXcalibur
07-27-2009, 11:11 AM
When the incident happened, I didn't really see what the big deal was. The dumbass shot himself and NFL players are always getting in trouble for stupid shit like this. Even the most high profile and dispicable of cases (i.e Michael Vick) only saw him sit in the slammer for 2 years. I sort of figured Burress would get a slap on the wrist or AT MOST,30 days in jail and some community service (and he would get out early on "good behavior").

I'm not familiar with the law, but it's kind of suprising to see the punishment being doled out.

CoMoChief
07-27-2009, 11:12 AM
LOL going to prison for shooting yourself in the leg. ROFL

How ****in dumb is that?!?!

Almost as dumb as that off duty cop who got too high on pot brownies, had a really bad trip I guess and then called 911, cops show up and arrest the guy.

Mecca
07-27-2009, 11:14 AM
When the incident happened, I didn't really see what the big deal was. The dumbass shot himself and NFL players are always getting in trouble for stupid shit like this. Even the most high profile and dispicable of cases (i.e Michael Vick) only saw him sit in the slammer for 2 years. I sort of figured Burress would get a slap on the wrist or AT MOST,30 days in jail and some community service (and he would get out early on "good behavior").

I'm not familiar with the law, but it's kind of suprising to see the punishment being doled out.

Instead of getting off because of who he is they are trying to make an example of him they are taking it the other way.

If Ray Lewis can kill a guy and still play ball I'm not gonna flip out over petty shit like this.

MMXcalibur
07-27-2009, 11:22 AM
Instead of getting off because of who he is they are trying to make an example of him they are taking it the other way.

If Ray Lewis can kill a guy and still play ball I'm not gonna flip out over petty shit like this.

Stallworth gets 30 days for using a man as a speed bump. Little drives home drunk and gets 90 days for killing a woman. Pacman is in and out of trouble once a full moon.

Oh, I'm not complaining at all. It's refreshing to see a change....or at least a step in the right direction.

Mecca
07-27-2009, 11:24 AM
In fairness to the Stallworth thing, that guy was at major fault for why he got hit.

BigMeatballDave
07-27-2009, 11:27 AM
In fairness to the Stallworth thing, that guy was at major fault for why he got hit.I don't even care about that. Stallworth was under the influence, he should not have been driving.

Mecca
07-27-2009, 11:28 AM
They were both at fault, which is why it ended up being what it was.

Mr. Krab
07-27-2009, 11:31 AM
Mandatory jail time for shooting YOURSELF?

:shake:

BigMeatballDave
07-27-2009, 11:34 AM
They were both at fault, which is why it ended up being what it was.No. Had Stallworth not been driving, that guy would be alive. Alcohol was involved. If you or I had done this, we'd be looking at 7-10. Minimum. Money trumps everything.

Mecca
07-27-2009, 11:35 AM
Disagree, you cross a 6 lane highway in the dark in dark clothing you are just asking to get hit by a car.

Just Passin' By
07-27-2009, 11:39 AM
No. Had Stallworth not been driving, that guy would be alive. Alcohol was involved. If you or I had done this, we'd be looking at 7-10. Minimum. Money trumps everything.

You apparently don't understand Florida DUI law.

BigMeatballDave
07-27-2009, 12:08 PM
You apparently don't understand Florida DUI law.I don't live in Florida.

BigMeatballDave
07-27-2009, 12:09 PM
Disagree, you cross a 6 lane highway in the dark in dark clothing you are just asking to get hit by a car.My point is, Stallworth was UTI, he should never have been there.

Just Passin' By
07-27-2009, 12:10 PM
I don't live in Florida.

There's a 'causation' issue in Florida law. It's not a strict liability kind of deal when you get beyond basic DUI.

FAX
07-27-2009, 12:14 PM

Prosecutors make their bones by being hard-asses on high profile and drug cases. That's so they can become governors and senators when they grow up.

I read somewhere that the US could save over 20 billion dollars a year by releasing all the marijuana convictions and simple drug possession cases from prison.

FAX

Basileus777
07-27-2009, 12:22 PM
I don't have any sympathy for Burress, but it seems like the fact that he shot HIMSELF, not somebody else, should count for something. He's already been punished by karma for his dumbassery. Does the state really need a piece as well?

He fired an illegally owned gun in a city nightclub, that's not exactly a harmless offense. He didn't accidently misfire a registered gun in his own home.

Frazod
07-27-2009, 12:30 PM
He fired an illegally owned gun in a city nightclub, that's not exactly a harmless offense. He didn't accidently misfire a registered gun in his own home.

I understand that.

But if, as punishment, he was sentenced to be shot in the leg, would you think that was a bit harsh?

I think this guy's probably learned his lesson as much as he can learn it. Shot in the leg, career in ruins, millions of dollars lost as a result, reputation destroyed, reduced from Super Bowl winner to national laughingstock.

Again, I don't really care one way or another. If they throw the fucker in jail forever I won't lose any sleep over it. I just think he's already paid a pretty steep price for his idiocy.

Kerberos
07-27-2009, 12:47 PM

LOL going to prison for shooting yourself in the leg. ROFL

How ****in dumb is that?!?!

Almost as dumb as that off duty cop who got too high on pot brownies, had a really bad trip I guess and then called 911, cops show up and arrest the guy.

Mandatory jail time for shooting YOURSELF?

:shake:

I don't think the "Jail Time" really has much to do about the dumbass shooting himself in the leg but more to do about NY city law that is pretty strict about unregistered guns.

The fact that the dumb-ass shot himself in the leg is what got him busted for breaking the possession of an unregistered firearm law in the first place.

Chiefnj2
07-27-2009, 01:00 PM
Burress had a handgun permit issued in Florida. He got traded and moved to NJ. He carried the gun across the border to NYC. He could never carry a handgun legally in NY even if wanted to, unless he became a NY resident. NY doesn't allow non-residents to carry handguns in the state. Burress is a real dumb-ass because he kept the gun in the waist band of his sweats. Allegedly it was slipping out, he reached for it as it was falling and the gun discharged.

kysirsoze
07-27-2009, 01:06 PM
My point is, Stallworth was UTI, he should never have been there.

He had a urinary tract infection? Does that impair your driving? I'm confused.

BigMeatballDave
07-27-2009, 01:26 PM
He had a urinary tract infection? Does that impair your driving? I'm confused.LMAO Under The influence.

Dylan
07-27-2009, 03:36 PM
The one point to keep in mind: New York City has the largest population in the U.S. The island of Manhattan is home to 8.3 million people. In addtion, there is millions of worker to the city on a daily basis.

New York City has the largest tourism in the U.S. 47 million foreign and American tourists visited the city in 2008. Total billion spend was $30 billiion.

When you consider the small amount of facts above, it may provide a glimpse, why New York City has the toughest gun laws in the country.

Discharging a weapon in New York City, whether intentional or unintentional, has a high percentage of hitting an innocent bystander.

Let's be clear about a couple of things. Plaxico Burress is charged with criminal possession of a loaded and unlicensed gun (glock) in New York City. However, the worse case to defend is the gun fired.

the data sources, does include data entry from The New York Times: http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/subjects/g/gun_control/index.html?scp=1-spot&sq=&st=nyt

Dylan
07-27-2009, 03:46 PM
U.S. Mayors Against Illegal Guns: Coalition Members

Mayor Joe Reardon, Kansas City, KS
Mayor Clausie W. Smith, Bonner Springs City, KS
Mayor Mark Roberts, Douglas, KS
Mayor Larry G. Meeker, Lake Quivira, KS
Mayor Kenneth W. Bernard, Lansing, KS
Mayor Carl Wilkes, Merriam, KS

http://www.mayorsagainstillegalguns.org/html/members/members.shtml

Other states: http://www.mayorsagainstillegalguns.org/html/home/home.shtml

Law Enforcement Ordinance: http://www.municode.com/resources/gateway.asp?pid=13488&sid=16

my check please... j/k

Chiefnj2
07-28-2009, 11:26 AM
They are going after Pierce now as well. from the rag the nypost:

Bad news, Giants fans.

Antonio Pierce is now facing a gun-possession indictment in the Plaxico Burress club shooting -- charges that could sideline him for the coming season and ultimately put him in jail.

"The DA's office has confirmed that they are going to seek charges against Antonio," the star linebacker's lawyer, Michael Bachner, told The Post yesterday.

Pierce's fate now rests with the same Manhattan grand jury hearing evidence against his former teammate, Burress. The top charge the pair faces -- felony criminal weapons possession -- carries a mandatory 3½-year prison term.

Pierce and Burress were together in the VIP vestibule of the Latin Quarter nightclub in Midtown in November when Burress accidentally shot himself clear through his thigh with his own gun.

According to law-enforcement sources, a security guard picked the blood-splattered, still warm Glock up off the club floor and stashed it in the glove compartment of Pierce's Escalade.

Cops say that after driving Plax to the hospital, Pierce drove to Totowa, NJ, where both players live. He then dropped the gun off at Plaxico's house.

Prosecutors have considered "flipping" the security guard to nail the two players, according to sources.

"It's our position Antonio committed no crime whatsoever, and had no way of knowing that the weapon was anything other than properly licensed," Bachner said. "Antonio acted bravely and responsibly to save what he thought could have been his teammate's life by driving him to the hospital."

Frazod
07-28-2009, 12:18 PM
It never really occurred to me until now, but how does one accidentally shoot himself with a Glock? Unlike most other pistols, the safety's built into the trigger, and they have heavy trigger pulls (at least mine does). Even if locked and loaded, this shouldn't be possible unless he was actively squeezing the trigger. What an idiot.