PDA

View Full Version : Football Bennett signs with Ravens....two days later...retires

The Franchise
07-27-2009, 10:51 AM
Ravens WR Bennett retires 2 days after signing

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9856938/Ravens-WR-Bennett-retires-2-days-after-signing

BALTIMORE (AP) - Ravens wide receiver Drew Bennett announced his retirement Sunday night, just two days after signing with Baltimore in an effort to rekindle his NFL career.

Bennett agreed to a one-year deal after a tryout Friday. But he aggravated an old knee injury during the workout, and after returning home to Nashville, Tenn., the 30-year-old receiver decided to quit.

"A previous knee injury flared up, making me realize that I am unable to play another NFL season," Bennett said in statement distributed by his agent, Steve Caric. "Therefore, I have decided to retire from the National Football League."

Bennett's decision comes after Derrick Mason surprised the Ravens by announcing his retirement on July 13. Although Mason has left open the possibility of returning, Baltimore is currently very slim at the wide receiver position.

The 6-foot-5 Bennett played one game with St. Louis last year because of a foot injury. Over an eight-year career, he has 307 catches for 4,412 yards.

He expected to add to those numbers this season, but things didn't work out as planned.

"The Ravens are a first-class organization that I was truly excited to join," Bennett said. "After an offseason of workouts and rehab, I thought I was ready to play again, but it became apparent over this weekend that while my mind is willing, my body will not be able to make it through another NFL season.

"I have been blessed to have the opportunity to play in the NFL for as long as I have, but it is time for me to move on to the next chapter in my life."

Bennett's most productive season was in 2004, when he had 80 catches for 1,247 yards and 11 touchdowns with Tennessee.

When the Ravens open training camp Monday, their most accomplished receivers will be Mark Clayton and Demetrius Williams.

Hammock Parties
07-27-2009, 10:52 AM
The average NFL career is 3.5 years.

BigMeatballDave
07-27-2009, 11:05 AM
I wonder how much the Ravens are obligated to pay him?

Mecca
07-27-2009, 11:07 AM

I'm gonna go with nothing seeing as he never played a game.

sedated
07-27-2009, 11:09 AM
something must be up in Baltimore, no WR wants to stay there.

LaChapelle
07-27-2009, 11:11 AM
Flacco CAN throw it and catch it too.

RustShack
07-27-2009, 11:13 AM
Good thing Mason is coming back.

CoMoChief
07-27-2009, 11:15 AM
The average NFL career is 3.5 years.

Not for starters. Backups and 3rd stringers and practice squad guys probably bring that average # down a lot IMO.

brandon
07-27-2009, 11:20 AM
Must've wanted to retire a Raven.

MMXcalibur
07-27-2009, 11:32 AM
In related news, Marvin Harrison is expected to sign with the Ravens on Tuesday. His retirement papers will be faxed to the league office on Thursday.

LaChapelle
07-27-2009, 11:42 AM
Drew Bennett?

Hell he broke it.

~This completes me.

beach tribe
07-27-2009, 01:51 PM
Not trying to be a dick but..... Who cares??

Ebolapox
07-27-2009, 02:29 PM
it's funny, I was doing paperwork this morning and sportscenter was on. I noticed on the bottom line that...'NFL NEWS: Bennett retires'

for the life of me, I couldn't figure out which bennett deserves even a slight 'mention' on espn's bottom line.

and I was correct. this bennett didn't qualify.

MMXcalibur
07-27-2009, 02:42 PM
it's funny, I was doing paperwork this morning and sportscenter was on. I noticed on the bottom line that...'NFL NEWS: Bennett retires'

for the life of me, I couldn't figure out which bennett deserves even a slight 'mention' on espn's bottom line.

and I was correct. this bennett didn't qualify.

Donnell Bennett?

Ebolapox
07-27-2009, 02:58 PM
Donnell Bennett?

or darren. or edgar. or earl. or martellus.

Phobia
07-27-2009, 03:08 PM

He probably didn't have a signing bonus but if he did, that's all they'll pay. You have to be on the opening day roster to earn your salary for the year. Had he stuck with it and been cut or put on IR after week one he is guaranteed his whole salary.

If somebody signs after week 1 then their salary is pro-rated per game.

BigMeatballDave
07-27-2009, 03:13 PM
He probably didn't have a signing bonus but if he did, that's all they'll pay. You have to be on the opening day roster to earn your salary for the year. Had he stuck with it and been cut or put on IR after week one he is guaranteed his whole salary.

If somebody signs after week 1 then their salary is pro-rated per game.I figured it was something like that. Thanks.

Ultra Peanut
07-27-2009, 04:50 PM
Former Chiefs great MICHAEL

Thig Lyfe
07-27-2009, 06:21 PM
I've met Drew Bennett. He's a nice guy.