PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs In Tampa...

CosmicPal
07-27-2009, 07:22 PM
Remember me? :D

Sorry, I've been away from the Planet for a long time. I was laid-off back in March and left Colorado for a warmer climate: Tampa, FL. Actually, I ended up in Sarasota, but couldn't find any work and decided to get a place in Tampa and try my luck here.

Any ChiefsPlanet member in the Tampa area? Hit me up, please. I don't know where the phuck I am around here.

I moved here the first week of July and then had to go right back to KC 'cause my dad ended up with a stroke, which resulted in a coma, which then came with an expiration on his life. It's been a very rough time for me. I was in KC for a couple of weeks paying my last wishes to a great man and father.

I'm okay now for there is closure. I'll also be working with the KCGA, the MGA, and the USGA, about launching a memorial golf tourney for next season.

As you can imagine, I have a lot on my plate and I could really use some Chiefs fans to hang out with here in Tampa. So, if any of you blokes want to hook up with Cosmic for a beer and Chiefs games this season, then feel free to poke me.

DaKCMan AP
07-27-2009, 07:23 PM
What area of Tampa are you in?

Katipan
07-27-2009, 07:24 PM

You're busy on Thursdays.

CosmicPal

Temple Terrace

Bwana
Good to see you bud and sorry to hear about your Dad.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-27-2009, 07:25 PM
Very sorry to hear about your father. I've been there. But I never knew the guy. I don't know what I'll do when the old man that raised me moves on. He's been a teacher, a guide, a spiritual adviser, a friend, and my hero. I wish you the best, and should you ever find yourself in the Seattle area hit me up. I'll buy the first few rounds.

CosmicPal
07-27-2009, 07:27 PM
Good to see you bud and sorry to hear about your Dad.

Thx...Very much appreciated.

The weirdest thing is- back in March when I suggested moving to Florida, he asked if he could ride with me. I said, "Absolutely!" As a matter of fact, I sold everything so I could take my car and make it a vacation for the both of us- a roadtrip with dad. Had no idea, it would be the last time we were together. I'm so thankful for that.

CosmicPal
07-27-2009, 07:29 PM
Very sorry to hear about your father. I've been there. But I never knew the guy. I don't know what I'll do when the old man that raised me moves on. He's been a teacher, a guide, a spiritual adviser, a friend, and my hero. I wish you the best, and should you ever find yourself in the Seattle area hit me up. I'll buy the first few rounds.

Thanks...didn't mean to turn this into a reflection on my father. I am moved by the thoughts so far...Hopefully, I can take you up on your offer some day too. :thumb:

DaKCMan AP
07-27-2009, 07:30 PM
You're busy on Thursdays.

I am?

Katipan
07-27-2009, 07:31 PM
I am?

Rarely do I click on the Random thought thread. Ok not rarely, but I don't like obsess over it. And it seems that you eat some poor Thai chick every Thursday.

DaKCMan AP
07-27-2009, 07:31 PM
Temple Terrace

Ah, so you're up north.. not very familiar with that area. I typically stay in South Tampa, the Downtown area or across the Bay in Clearwater/St. Pete.

DaKCMan AP
07-27-2009, 07:32 PM
Rarely do I click on the Random thought thread. Ok not rarely, but I don't like obsess over it. And it seems that you eat some poor Thai chick every Thursday.

Super Thai Hot Thursdays!!!

I take care of that during lunch. ;)

CosmicPal
07-27-2009, 07:36 PM
Ah, so you're up north.. not very familiar with that area. I typically stay in South Tampa, the Downtown area or across the Bay in Clearwater/St. Pete.

Yeah, I took what I could get for now. I would love to find a place near downtown or Clearwater/St. Pete. North St. Pete that is.

DaKCMan AP
07-27-2009, 07:38 PM
Yeah, I took what I could get for now. I would love to find a place near downtown or Clearwater/St. Pete. North St. Pete that is.

Yeah. I'm renting on the border of Clearwater/St Pete as far West as you can go, just off of the Howard Frankland. If I ever buy property in this area it'll be in South Tampa (Hyde Park or Westshore) or Westchase.

Bwana
07-27-2009, 07:39 PM
Thx...Very much appreciated.

The weirdest thing is- back in March when I suggested moving to Florida, he asked if he could ride with me. I said, "Absolutely!" As a matter of fact, I sold everything so I could take my car and make it a vacation for the both of us- a roadtrip with dad. Had no idea, it would be the last time we were together. I'm so thankful for that.

You're right, you never do know. I'm really glad you got to take that last trip with your Dad.

JD10367
07-27-2009, 07:42 PM
I lived in Tampa in '95 and '96, in that area (off Bruce B. Downs). It's not a bad city, especially where Florida's concerned; at least Tampa has some age and history to it. I think the sportsbar chain I used to frequent to watch my Patriots was Beef O'Brady's (decent food and drink at that time).

This is a decades-old "to do" list so, if any of these have gone downhill, don't blame me, LOL.

Ybor City
Florida Aquarium
Busch Gardens
MOSI
Lowry Park Zoo (in a shitty area, as most city zoos are, but a very nice zoo)
Tampa Theatre (old-style moviehouse/playhouse)
Brandon Town Center (big-ass mall near you)
Shell's restaurant (not too far from you)
Hops restaurant (if they're still around)
Crabby Bill's (St. Pete area)
John's Pass (St. Pete area)
Salvador Dali Museum (St. Pete)
decent sporting options (Bucs, Devil Rays, Lightning)

Apparently after I left they also built something called Channelside which is a shopping/eating district.

CosmicPal
07-27-2009, 07:47 PM
I lived in Tampa in '95 and '96, in that area (off Bruce B. Downs). It's not a bad city, especially where Florida's concerned; at least Tampa has some age and history to it. I think the sportsbar chain I used to frequent to watch my Patriots was Beef O'Brady's (decent food and drink at that time).

This is a decades-old "to do" list so, if any of these have gone downhill, don't blame me, LOL.

Ybor City
Florida Aquarium
Busch Gardens
MOSI

Apparently after I left they also built something called Channelside which is a shopping/eating district.

I drive by MOSI every day.

I'm just now getting the chance to get out and explore the city. Thanks for the tips. I thought the Salvador Dali Museum was in Sarasota? That is one place I'm going to go check out very soon.

DaKCMan AP
07-27-2009, 07:47 PM

Ybor City
Florida Aquarium
Busch Gardens
MOSI

Channelside is nice, but not spectacular. I prefer Hyde Park over Ybor for nightlife. Shell's (if it's what I'm thinking of) and Hops are just 'ok' chain restaurants. Crabby Bill's has locations all over the area, but Frenchy's is a much better casual beach seafood and there are better sit-down seafood places than Crabby Bill's. The rest is a pretty good list of stuff to do.

I wanted to visit the Dali museum for a while and the girlfriend and I went last month & enjoyed it.

CosmicPal
07-27-2009, 07:50 PM
Yeah. I'm renting on the border of Clearwater/St Pete as far West as you can go, just off of the Howard Frankland. If I ever buy property in this area it'll be in South Tampa (Hyde Park or Westshore) or Westchase.

Not sure what you mean by the "border" as it's an island over there, isn't it?

I've been to Clearwater beach and Indian Rocks beach and love 'em. I'm planning on going to Fort DeSoto beach tomorrow with my dog. I hear they have a dog beach over there.

DaKCMan AP
07-27-2009, 07:53 PM
Not sure what you mean by the "border" as it's an island over there, isn't it?

I've been to Clearwater beach and Indian Rocks beach and love 'em. I'm planning on going to Fort DeSoto beach tomorrow with my dog. I hear they have a dog beach over there.

If you cut the peninsula in half I consider the south part St. Pete and then north of it is Clearwater, Palm Harbor and then Tarpon Springs.

Clearwater beach is the 'fun' (and touristy) beach if you want a bunch of people of all ages. Indian Rocks is quieter. I love Fort DeSoto. There's tons to do there: canoe/kayak, beach, tour the fort, trails, etc. Yes, they have a dog beach. Last time I went we ate lunch at the dog beach then moved over to the beach by the pier. When we were out in the water we watched a family of dolphins about 25 yards out swim around for about 25 minutes.

CosmicPal
07-27-2009, 07:56 PM
I love Fort DeSoto. There's tons to do there: canoe/kayak, beach, tour the fort, trails, etc. Yes, they have a dog beach. Last time I went we ate lunch at the dog beach then moved over to the beach by the pier. When we were out in the water we watched a family of dolphins about 25 yards out swim around for about 25 minutes.

Sweet. Would like to see that.

According to Mapquest, Fort DeSoto beach is an hour away!! Jeebus, I swear I can smell the ocean from here, how the phuck can I be an hour away! I need to move closer to shore.

Skip Towne
07-27-2009, 07:58 PM
I had noticed you missing but figured you had changed your name.

CosmicPal
07-27-2009, 08:00 PM
Too bad we don't get waves like this off Clearwater Beach. :D

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lfIQw_v5CSs&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lfIQw_v5CSs&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Rain Man
07-27-2009, 08:02 PM
Sorry to hear about your dad.

So does this mean you won't come over to my house to see a football game in the future?

CosmicPal
07-27-2009, 08:03 PM
I had noticed you missing but figured you had changed your name.

I would never do that. I like my name.

CosmicPal
07-27-2009, 08:04 PM
Sorry to hear about your dad.

So does this mean you won't come over to my house to see a football game in the future?

LOL. I'm sure I'll be going back to Denver for a visit some time in the future.

RJ
07-27-2009, 08:07 PM
Nice to see you on the board, Cosmic. Sorry to hear about your dad and all the other troubles.

CosmicPal
07-27-2009, 08:14 PM
Nice to see you on the board, Cosmic. Sorry to hear about your dad and all the other troubles.

Thx. Very much appreciated.

I'm very blessed by all the kindness from so many people the last week in KC. There were 700-800 people at the memorial service and that was pretty inspiring- a real life-changer for me.

ziggysocki
07-27-2009, 08:37 PM
I think I went to Ybor city. I think. Could have been Daytona, maybe Panama City... I am not really sure. Anyway, if you know of any IT jobs opening in the area lemme know. Florida kicks much ass! Oh, and sorry about your dad. I went thru the same in June. It sucks.

Crashride
07-27-2009, 08:42 PM
Welcome!! I live on Dale Mabry we should meet up and hit up some bars. Shoot me a message.

CosmicPal
07-27-2009, 08:56 PM
Welcome!! I live on Dale Mabry we should meet up and hit up some bars. Shoot me a message.

Absolutely! PM me. I'm hoping on getting a group together in Tampa to hang out and watch games this season together.

JD10367
07-28-2009, 10:38 AM

Is the Mons Venus still open? The Imax service techs used to love that place. :D

DaKCMan AP
07-28-2009, 10:51 AM
Is the Mons Venus still open? The Imax service techs used to love that place. :D

Of course Mons is still open.

DaKCMan AP
07-28-2009, 10:52 AM
Absolutely! PM me. I'm hoping on getting a group together in Tampa to hang out and watch games this season together.

Give out details as the season approaches. Not sure I could make all games but it'd be nice to catch a few with Chiefs fans. Usually I'm the only one in any given bar.

COchief
07-28-2009, 01:56 PM
I have some hopefully useful info as someone who moved from Den to Tampa and back.

- Best places to live IMO are Hyde Park, Channelside, downtown St Pete, or of course close to the ocean. Rentals are unbelievable cheap due the real estate clusterF. You can find a great deal, take your time and do not compare to Denver. You can rent a nice house for what a decent apartment goes for in Denver.

- Do not live Downtown for any reason, Tampa is very bizarre because the downtown business area turns into a ghost town at 5:15. Nothing, and I mean nothing happens there except work. It was very strange to me but that is just how it is.

-Ybor can be fun, but it is a really young area (they allow 18+ at almost all clubs) and most importantly VERY DANGEROUS. Tampa is a real big city, Denver is a pussy city as far as crime/thugs. Do not get wasted and screw around in Ybor, if you stumble down the wrong street, you will get mugged and possibly killed. You can not wander around like you can in Cap hill/Wash Park late at night. If you leave your car overnight it will be broken into, stay on the main street if you go. You will see tons of cops, they are there to keep you alive and not hassle you.

- I would recommend hanging in Hyde Park or Channelside, both are much safer areas and the crowd is 25-40.

- Prepare to get laid easily. As someone who worked hard for ladies in the sausage fest that is CO. The ladies in TPA are soooo easy to deal with, Tampa is the exact opposite of Denver. Girls move to the beach, dudes go to the mountains. There is almost always more girls than guys at any bar/club. You will notice this immediately and it is a great benefit if you're single.

- Change your style. FLA is much more dress up oriented than CO. A beard and a North face vest will not get you laid in TPA.

- Take advantage of the water. Some of the best money I have ever spent was used to kayak through the mangroves. If you look online you can find a route/rental place just west of the Dale Mabry bridge. You can rent a yak for $40 and it is a ton of bang for your buck. Also beaches, bikinis etc.

- Live close to work and travel for entertainment. Traffic can be atrocious, and you do not want to spend 2+ hours a day in your car. Get used to toll roads, they are everywhere and expensive. Tampa is HUGE distance wise compared to Denver, you will probably spend much more time in your car.

- Take a lot of weekend trips. One of the things I do not like about living in CO is there is not a ton of short car trips you can take for a weekend (the mountains excepted but I've grown complacent with those). You can get to Atlanta, Miami, Daytona, even the keys if you leave Fri after work. Go to the keys at least once, but I wouldn't stay for more than 3-4 days as they are pretty small and I personally tired of them quickly.

- CO is a state where people make their hobbies their entire persona (sick powder days anyone?). FLA is not cliquey, you do not see the groups of people who only dress and hang out with other punk, snowboarders etc. The people tend to dress and appear more "normal" and let their personalities and thoughts define them instead of adopting a hobby and revolving all dress, lingo, and social lives around it (I hate this about CO).

Have fun, I loved living in Tampa and if I could go back in time I probably would not have moved back to CO, but now own a business here and am stuck for a while.

Oh and regardless of your tastes, go to one of the huge country dance places like Dallas Bull for a night, it is an experience. And of course go to Mons Venus, its world famous for a reason.

DaKCMan AP
07-28-2009, 03:38 PM
I have some hopefully useful info as someone who moved from Den to Tampa and back.

- Best places to live IMO are Hyde Park, Channelside, downtown St Pete, or of course close to the ocean.

- Do not live Downtown for any reason, Tampa is very bizarre because the downtown business area turns into a ghost town at 5:15. Nothing, and I mean nothing happens there except work. It was very strange to me but that is just how it is.

-Ybor can be fun, but it is a really young area (they allow 18+ at almost all clubs) and most importantly VERY DANGEROUS. Tampa is a real big city, Denver is a pussy city as far as crime/thugs. Do not get wasted and screw around in Ybor, if you stumble down the wrong street, you will get mugged and possibly killed. You can not wander around like you can in Cap hill/Wash Park late at night. If you leave your car overnight it will be broken into, stay on the main street if you go. You will see tons of cops, they are there to keep you alive and not hassle you.

- I would recommend hanging in Hyde Park or Channelside, both are much safer areas and the crowd is 25-40.

- Take advantage of the water. Some of the best money I have ever spent was used to kayak through the mangroves. If you look online you can find a route/rental place just west of the Dale Mabry bridge. You can rent a yak for $40 and it is a ton of bang for your buck. Also beaches, bikinis etc.

- Live close to work and travel for entertainment. Traffic can be atrocious, and you do not want to spend 2+ hours a day in your car. Get used to toll roads, they are everywhere and expensive. Tampa is HUGE distance wise compared to Denver, you will probably spend much more time in your car.

- CO is a state where people make their hobbies their entire persona (sick powder days anyone?). FLA is not cliquey, you do not see the groups of people who only dress and hang out with other punk, snowboarders etc. The people tend to dress and appear more "normal" and let their personalities and thoughts define them instead of adopting a hobby and revolving all dress, lingo, and social lives around it (I hate this about CO).

I concur. Well said.

Halfcan
07-28-2009, 03:43 PM
Remember me? :D

Sorry, I've been away from the Planet for a long time. I was laid-off back in March and left Colorado for a warmer climate: Tampa, FL. Actually, I ended up in Sarasota, but couldn't find any work and decided to get a place in Tampa and try my luck here.

Any ChiefsPlanet member in the Tampa area? Hit me up, please. I don't know where the phuck I am around here.

I moved here the first week of July and then had to go right back to KC 'cause my dad ended up with a stroke, which resulted in a coma, which then came with an expiration on his life. It's been a very rough time for me. I was in KC for a couple of weeks paying my last wishes to a great man and father.

I'm okay now for there is closure. I'll also be working with the KCGA, the MGA, and the USGA, about launching a memorial golf tourney for next season.

As you can imagine, I have a lot on my plate and I could really use some Chiefs fans to hang out with here in Tampa. So, if any of you blokes want to hook up with Cosmic for a beer and Chiefs games this season, then feel free to poke me.

Sorry to hear about the bad news-Glad you are back!!

CosmicPal
07-28-2009, 04:13 PM

- Best places to live IMO are Hyde Park, Channelside, downtown St Pete

You rock!! Thanks for the info.

What counties are these areas located in? Pinellas? Hillborough?