PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher: Haley won’t start out calling plays for Chiefs

Coogs
07-27-2009, 10:17 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1349780.html

Haley won’t start out calling plays for Chiefs
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

The Chiefs hired Todd Haley as their head coach in large part because of his offensive creativity. He designed the offense and called plays the last two years for the high-scoring Arizona Cardinals, attracting the attention of new Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli in the process.

Haley will set aside those abilities, at least to start the season. Haley reserved the right to take over later in the season but said Monday that offensive coordinator Chan Gailey would call the plays.

“This wasn’t a decision that was made quickly,” Haley said. “I put a lot of thought into it. Chan will call the plays as I see it right now. This is all part of the learning process of trying to get it right. That’s where we’ll start from, and I would say that’s the way we’ll go into the season.”

Gailey is a veteran coordinator who was widely praised last season after he switched the Chiefs at midseason to a spread offensive system to accommodate the talents of quarterback Tyler Thigpen.

But the Chiefs’ new system is one Haley is bringing from Arizona, another reason it made sense for Haley to call the plays.

“I obviously believe in Chan,” Haley said. “He’s done a great job throughout his time in the NFL and in college. He’s run some very good and very efficient offenses.”

Haley acknowledged he wouldn’t be using at least some of the abilities that earned him his job with the Chiefs. The Cardinals last season were second in the NFL in passing yardage, third in scoring and fourth in total offense.

They reached the Super Bowl for the first time in franchise history by winning three playoff games and narrowly missed an upset of the Pittsburgh Steelers in the NFL title game.

“That was my dilemma,” Haley said. “It was the most fun I’ve ever had in my life, designing the offense and calling the plays. Selfishly, I’d love to go out and call the plays.

“You’ve got to do what you think is best. The head coach has a lot of jobs. Some guys that are play-callers take a head coaching job and continue to call the plays. Other guys just coach the team. That’s the direction I’ve decided to take right now and try to do the best I can at that.”

Haley said he sought the advice of coaching mentors such as Bill Parcells and Ken Whisenhunt. Haley found the consensus was that as a rookie head coach, he would have enough to worry about without the added burden of calling the offensive plays.

“I’m not just doing what other people are telling me,” he said. “I’m using my instinct and going by what I’ve seen and what I’ve been a part of. This is the way we’re going, and I’m excited to get started.”

Eventually, Haley said, his experience with Whisenhunt in Arizona was the deciding factor. Whisenhunt had been the offensive coordinator for the Steelers, but after becoming Arizona’s head coach he allowed Haley to call the plays.

“It was a similar situation,” Haley said. “He was a creative play-caller for the Pittsburgh Steelers, and they went to a 15-1 season and then a Super Bowl and that’s how he got the head coaching job with Arizona, but he set that aside (the play-calling) for me. Kenny turned that over to me, and we had success. We didn’t win it all, but we came close.”

While Haley said he would allow Gailey room to operate, the head coach will still have input.

“Offensively, I’ll look at myself as another brain to be utilized,” Haley said. “I’ll have ideas. Where I have ideas and thoughts I think can be helpful, I’ll obviously have the power to implement those things on either side of the ball, plus on special teams. I’ll prepare each week and study the opponent and understand our personnel and try to help where I can without being a distraction.”

Titty Meat
07-27-2009, 10:19 PM
So the Chiefs won't be running the ball

pr_capone
07-27-2009, 10:20 PM
to the llama!

DeezNutz
07-27-2009, 10:21 PM
This won't last long.

Hammock Parties
07-27-2009, 10:48 PM
I like this. Gives the head coach less to worry about.

chiefs1111
07-27-2009, 10:50 PM
I like the fact that he put a lot of thought into it before making a decision. something Herm Edwards was never capable of doing.

ArrowheadHawk
07-27-2009, 10:52 PM
Makes sense starting out. It's a built in excuse to start calling the plays later in the season if the offense is stale.

FloridaMan88
07-27-2009, 11:22 PM
To think that the Chiefs have gone from the likes of Herm/Slowlari/Curled Dick as the offensive brainpower to the likes of Todd Haley and Chan Gailey in 2 years is refreshing.

Rausch
07-28-2009, 12:03 AM

Nice.

Gailey gets hired and everyone thinks it'll be the Midwest Steelers offense. One year later it's "we won't be running the ball."

He adjusts to the talent he's got and makes the most of it. In fact, he's so fucking good at his job he made people think that Neil Odonnel, Kordell Stewart, and Tyler fucking Thigpen are all legit starting QB's...

DaneMcCloud
07-28-2009, 12:51 AM
Nice.

Gailey gets hired and everyone thinks it'll be the Midwest Steelers offense. One year later it's "we won't be running the ball."

He adjusts to the talent he's got and makes the most of it. In fact, he's so fucking good at his job he made people think that Neil Odonnel, Kordell Stewart, and Tyler fucking Thigpen are all legit starting QB's...

In all seriousness, Chan Gailey gets no (and has never gotten enough) respect.

I think he's a highly creative offensive football coach and hope he finds the ultimate respect with the Chiefs.

BryanBusby
07-28-2009, 01:06 AM
In all seriousness, Chan Gailey gets no (and has never gotten enough) respect.

I think he's a highly creative offensive football coach and hope he finds the ultimate respect with the Chiefs.

Yep. I'd like to see what Haley and Gailey can do with a group of players that can play well. Getting him away from the mega fail and the shackles of Permasuck was the biggest upgrade of all.

DaneMcCloud
07-28-2009, 01:19 AM
Yep. I'd like to see what Haley and Gailey can do with a group of players that can play well. Getting him away from the mega fail and the shackles of Permasuck was the biggest upgrade of all.

Chan's been a great offensive coordinator as far back as the Birmingham Fire of the World League.

sportsman1
07-28-2009, 01:23 AM
I'm kinda curious what would have happened if Dallas would have kept him as head coach.

Hammock Parties
07-28-2009, 01:31 AM
I'm kinda curious what would have happened if Dallas would have kept him as head coach.

Jerry Jones always laments the fact he fired Gailey. Said he did it too soon.

Dave Campo was his Gunther...although that's probably an insult to Campo.

sportsman1
07-28-2009, 01:45 AM
I'd make the argument Gunther was better than Campo. Gunther won more games. Campo was horrendous(not that I want him anywhere near the sideline). Seriously though Gailey made the play-offs both seasons with Dallas. Its one of those times you can really laugh at the stupidity of Dallas fan's.

kcxiv
07-28-2009, 03:06 AM
I think keeping Gailey was a smart thing. Like they said above, he made them lame ass quarterbacks efficient in them offenses.

Say what you want, but Gailey can adjust to his quarterback.

Skip Towne
07-28-2009, 06:52 AM
I'd make the argument Gunther was better than Campo. Gunther won more games. Campo was horrendous(not that I want him anywhere near the sideline). Seriously though Gailey made the play-offs both seasons with Dallas. Its one of those times you can really laugh at the stupidity of Dallas fan's.

Campo was nothing but a yes man. Jones had threatened to coach the team himself but didn't want the shitty part. Like training camp. Campo was the "head coach". But it was Jones running things. Jones would be a terrible head coach as this proved.

MMXcalibur
07-28-2009, 07:42 AM
I think keeping Gailey was a smart thing. Like they said above, he made them lame ass quarterbacks efficient in them offenses.

Say what you want, but Gailey can adjust to his quarterback.

Thank God for Gailey. Imagine how REALLY disgusting last season would have been without him adjusting to Thigpen's strengths. The offensive effectiveness in most games later in the season was refreshing to see. (Want an even more disgusting thought? Try imaging Herm taking over play calling duties :D )

Chief Henry
07-28-2009, 09:13 AM
To think that the Chiefs have gone from the likes of Herm/Slowlari/Curled Dick as the offensive brainpower to the likes of Todd Haley and Chan Gailey in 2 years is refreshing.

and Carl Peterson is out in the front office as well :thumb:

The Franchise
07-28-2009, 09:16 AM
Chan's been a great offensive coordinator as far back as the Birmingham Fire of the World League.

This.

I'm really interested to see what Gailey can do when he's not being surrounded by poor fucking excuses for coaching. I think that Gailey will thrive under Haley and Pioli.

Chief Pote
07-28-2009, 09:48 AM
Thank God for Gailey. Imagine how REALLY disgusting last season would have been without him adjusting to Thigpen's strengths. The offensive effectiveness in most games later in the season was refreshing to see. (Want an even more disgusting thought? Try imaging Herm taking over play calling duties :D )

Huh? They were 2 - 14. Apparently I'm unable to see the silver lining on that cloud.

The Franchise
07-28-2009, 09:50 AM
Huh? They were 2 - 14. Apparently I'm unable to see the silver lining on that cloud.

Just imagine the Atlanta game....except played out over the course of the season when Thigpen was the starter.

Micjones
07-28-2009, 09:54 AM
This is good news.

If he decides later in the season to takeover that responsibility I'll be fine with as long as he isn't preparing the playbook during the week as well. That'll be too much additional responsibility to take on.

Gotta have trust in your coordinators.

Demonpenz
07-28-2009, 09:59 AM
Chan Gailey never pigeon holes himself. He got herm to run the spread

Shag
07-28-2009, 10:03 AM
I just hope Gailey improves on his goal-to-go playcalling this year - it was horrific last year...

beach tribe
07-28-2009, 10:04 AM

The more you post, the more I winder about your sanity.

The Franchise
07-28-2009, 10:04 AM
I just hope Gailey improves on his goal-to-go playcalling this year - it was horrific last year...

It'll be interesting to see what happens now that Tony is gone. DBowe and Cottam are going to need to step it up inside the 20.

FAX
07-28-2009, 10:05 AM
Chan Gailey never pigeon holes himself. He got herm to run the spread

And the Sloption.

He Who Runs With Scissors sure had a wide-eyed, open-mouthed, dumbfounded look on his face when they snapped the ball on that play.

FAX

Demonpenz
07-28-2009, 10:14 AM
And the Sloption.

He Who Runs With Scissors sure had a wide-eyed, open-mouthed, dumbfounded look on his face when they snapped the ball on that play.

FAX

well.... if we would have blocked bilbo probably would have gotten some yards. The nfl is equail you have to use every play ever.

milkman
07-28-2009, 07:30 PM
I really think that Gailey is going to be able to really get creative and do a lot of things in this offense now that he has a creative offensive mind to work with above him.

It's unlikely we'll be going into a shell early in the second half of games any longer.

Coach
07-28-2009, 07:51 PM
I really think that Gailey is going to be able to really get creative and do a lot of things in this offense now that he has a creative offensive mind to work with above him.

It's unlikely we'll be going into a shell early in the second half of games any longer.

Absolutely agree. Many times the Chiefs had a lead in the 2nd half, only to see it disappear because of Herm's philosophy.

FloridaMan88
07-28-2009, 07:55 PM

The removal of the Herm cancer helps that cause

Chiefs_Mike_Topeka
07-28-2009, 07:58 PM
I like this plan; gives Haley time to get his bearings and Gailey a chance keep his stamp on the team. Something he was probably not expecting when Haley was hired.