PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Gumbo or Jambalaya Recipe

Dinny Bossa Nova
07-27-2009, 10:19 PM
Jim Nasium laid the best Red Beans & Rice recipe on me from here.

I want to make some gumbo or jambalaya, but control the "heat" of the seasonings myself.

I have shell-on shrimp for the stock. Andouille that I made myself. Okra and tomatoes from our garden. And I have crawfish tail meat that is pre-seasoned and cooked (I would have preferred raw, but ya gotta take what you can find).

Anybody got recipe suggestions?

TIA,
Dinny

edit: sorry if repost.

Phobia
07-27-2009, 10:37 PM
http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=3825990&postcount=120

cdcox
07-27-2009, 10:44 PM
Gumbo. -- IMO the shrimp alone will not give you enough flavor in the stock. I'd use a chicken stock at least as described below. The keys to a good gumbo are the roux, the trinity, and a good stock. Everything else can be varied (meat, seasoning, okra) to taste.

Make a roux using 1 cup oil and 1 cup flour cooked into a nice tan roux. If you've never made a roux before, google it. Key is to keep the heat moderate and keep stirring the whole time. Plan on 30 to 40 minutes for browning the roux.

Saute a "trinity" of green pepper, celery, and onion sauted in oil 15 min. I'd throw the okra in here too.

Add roux to trinity with 2 cloves garlic.

Add like 8 - 10 cups of stock. Homade chicken/turkey/duck stock would be great, but you could get by with canned.

Add 1/4 cup worcestershire sauce, 6 oz tomoato paste, a couple large tomoatoes, 2/3 cup italian parsley, and the following to taste: salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, old bay seasoning, cummin, thyme and Tobasco.

Simmer 30 min

Add your andouille, shrimp (save the shells) and crayfish.

Boil the shrimp shells in 1 cup water and add to the gumbo.

Simmer 30 min.

Add 1 T white wine vinegar.

Serve over white rice.

AND NOW I WANT SOME.

ChiefGator
07-28-2009, 05:16 AM
Andouille that I made myself. Okra and tomatoes from our garden. And I have crawfish tail meat that is pre-seasoned ...

I got a great recipe, but you gotta invite me over to get it..

No, seriously... you made your own Andouille sausage? You got a recipe for THAT?

Fire Me Boy!
07-28-2009, 05:27 AM
FAP FAP FAP

Wait.... that's weird.

I love gumbo. :drool:

The key to good gumbo is the roux. Alton Brown supposedly has a fool proof way to get the brick roux in the oven, that doesn't include you standing over it for damn near an hour babysitting it.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Place the vegetable oil and flour into a 5 to 6-quart cast iron Dutch oven and whisk together to combine. Place on the middle shelf of the oven, uncovered, and bake for 1 1/2 hours, whisking 2 to 3 times throughout the cooking process.

Never tried it, but I'll guarantee if it works it's a hell of a lot easier than babysitting it. Roux goes from brick to burnt in very, very little time, which will ruin the dish, so be careful with it.

Fire Me Boy!
07-28-2009, 05:28 AM
And cast iron. Use a cast iron dutch oven. It makes everything taste better.

cdcox
07-28-2009, 06:24 AM
FAP FAP FAP

Wait.... that's weird.

I love gumbo. :drool:

The key to good gumbo is the roux. Alton Brown supposedly has a fool proof way to get the brick roux in the oven, that doesn't include you standing over it for damn near an hour babysitting it.

Never tried it, but I'll guarantee if it works it's a hell of a lot easier than babysitting it. Roux goes from brick to burnt in very, very little time, which will ruin the dish, so be careful with it.

That's worth trying, for sure.

Fire Me Boy!
07-28-2009, 08:59 AM
That's worth trying, for sure.

I thought so. I haven't made gumbo since I saw that episode, but the idea was definitely added to my repertoire.

MOhillbilly
07-28-2009, 10:02 AM
3parts flour 1.5 parts oil get your oil hot. mix in flour slowly and stir like hell. i prefer a soft spoon and whisk. when the oil and flour start to smell like pop corn youre makin roux. i like mine a dark red over the black.
1/4 cap zatarans liquid crab boil.
3 onions, bunch of celery, 3 bell peppers chop and set aside.

4 quarts chicken stock-low fat/sodium.

1 package chicken thighs (about 3-4 pounds)

3 pounds andouille sausage.

once you get the roux the color you want mix in the trinity & let cook till onions are soft.
add chicken stock, chicken, sausage,crab boil.
Bring to a boil. once brought to a boil lower heat and simmer for 45 minutes.
chicken will float when done.
Let it sit overnight in the fridge reheat and serve with rice and a touch of file' powder.

I skim alot of the fat off the top after i reheat it. but imo leting it sit overnight is a absolute must to get the rightdepth of flavor.

MOhillbilly
07-28-2009, 10:07 AM
Gumbo. -- Make a roux using 1 cup oil and 1 cup flour cooked into a nice tan roux. If you've never made a roux before, google it. Key is to keep the heat moderate and keep stirring the whole time. Plan on 30 to 40 minutes for browning the roux.

your first couple times you definately wanna keep the heat medium till you figure out whats what. a burned/black roux is very very bitter and the flour will let you know cause itll start to flake black smell of burned popcorn.