PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Gretz: Conditioning Test Over, Football Next

Tribal Warfare
07-31-2009, 11:49 AM
Conditioning Test Over, Football Next (http://www.bobgretz.com/chiefs-football/conditioning-test-over-football-next.html)
July 31, 2009 - Bob Gretz |

From River Falls, Wisconsin

The Chiefs had their dreaded conditioning test Friday morning on the practice field here at UW-River Falls and now the focus goes from conditioning to football.

“I thought as a whole it went very well,” said head coach Todd Haley. “It was about what I expected. There were some surprises both ways, but overall about what I expected. It’s a difficult portion of the physical and a whole I felt pretty good.”

Haley would not talk at all about those players who failed the conditioning test. The coach made the session off-limits to media and fans. He did indicate that a number of players will not be passed on the team physical for a number of reasons, and thus will be unable to practice Saturday morning.

“We don’t have anybody that’s real far off and that’s what I feel good about,” Haley said of those players that will start practice on the sideline. “None of these are long term deals and we should have everybody going pretty soon.”

Haley would not name those players as well, saying he had not yet talked with all of them about the situation.

During the OTA sessions QB Brodie Croyle and RB Kolby Smith did not take part as they rehabbed knee injuries. At various times DE Glenn Dorsey and DT Ron Edwards joined them.

Croyle said Friday that he’s been cleared for 100 percent participation in practice. Dorsey had ice on his left shin as he left the cafeteria.

“Tomorrow the real fun starts,” Haley said with a smile. “It’s such a short amount of time here. We will have the pads on every day, until we think we know enough. We have to get ready in a short amount of time and the only way to get ready for football, in my opinion is with the pads on and get your body ready to play. ”

SAUTO
07-31-2009, 11:50 AM
damn i was hoping to know if waters made it through the runs

LOCOChief
07-31-2009, 11:54 AM
Conditioning Test Over, Football Next (http://www.bobgretz.com/chiefs-football/conditioning-test-over-football-next.html)
July 31, 2009 - Bob Gretz |

“Tomorrow the real fun starts,” Haley said with a smile. “It’s such a short amount of time here. We will have the pads on every day, until we think we know enough. We have to get ready in a short amount of time and the only way to get ready for football, in my opinion is with the pads on and get your body ready to play. ”

I love this guy, put the pads on a get to work!

OnTheWarpath15
07-31-2009, 11:56 AM
damn i was hoping to know if waters made it through the runs

Would be pretty easy to determine after Saturday morning's practice, I would think.

Haley would not talk at all about those players who failed the conditioning test. The coach made the session off-limits to media and fans. He did indicate that a number of players will not be passed on the team physical for a number of reasons, and thus will be unable to practice Saturday morning.

SAUTO
07-31-2009, 11:58 AM
Would be pretty easy to determine after Saturday morning's practice, I would think.

uuuhhh yeah i got that. i was wondering right now though.

rockymtnchief
07-31-2009, 11:58 AM

That was my thought. Just look and see who's pedaling a bike vs. who's practicing.

Cosmos
07-31-2009, 12:37 PM
If Dorsey were a horse, he would have been put down long time ago...

Hammock Parties
07-31-2009, 12:38 PM
Carr and Flowers passed.

DaWolf
07-31-2009, 12:41 PM
Babb confirms that Dorsey indeed failed...

Hammock Parties
07-31-2009, 12:43 PM
I'm more interested to know what Dorsey weighed in at. 315, like last year, won't cut it.

Chiefnj2
07-31-2009, 12:54 PM
I'm more interested to know what Dorsey weighed in at. 315, like last year, won't cut it.

Are you saying he should be more or less than 315.

DMAC
07-31-2009, 12:56 PM
Are you saying he should be more or less than 315.He needs to be 580.

Hammock Parties
07-31-2009, 12:56 PM
Are you saying he should be more or less than 315.

He should be about 290.

DMAC
07-31-2009, 12:57 PM
Carr and Flowers passed.Of course. The only Chiefs to be proud of. Beside Barth...and they fkkin cut his ass.

Titty Meat
07-31-2009, 12:58 PM
Dorsey= Ryan Sims

DMAC
07-31-2009, 12:59 PM
Dorsey= Ryan Sims
No he doesnt.

DaWolf
07-31-2009, 01:01 PM
He needs to be 580.

Sweet, that would allow us to play the 1-6 defense...

Fish
07-31-2009, 01:02 PM
During the OTA sessions QB Brodie Croyle and RB Kolby Smith did not take part as they rehabbed knee injuries.

Damn Croyle. I can't believe I used to defend you....

OnTheWarpath15
07-31-2009, 01:06 PM
Damn Croyle. I can't believe I used to defend you....

Nate, you realize that's the same injury from last year, right?

I read somewhere that he's since been cleared for 100% of activities and will practice on Saturday.

Titty Meat
07-31-2009, 01:06 PM
No he doesnt.

Sure does. Drafted in the top 10 did't produce much and is a lazy peice of shit.

Titty Meat
07-31-2009, 01:07 PM

I read somewhere that he's since been cleared for 100% of activities and will practice on Saturday.

Is it also the same injury since high school or college? I know he's injured his knee before.

Mr. Krab
07-31-2009, 01:10 PM
Babb confirms that Dorsey indeed failed...

Holy crap :shake:

Titty Meat
07-31-2009, 01:12 PM
I would love to see what Haley said to Dorsey. Also if Jackson doesn't get to camp soon how will Haley treat him?

Mr. Krab
07-31-2009, 01:17 PM
I hope they make all the guys that didn't pass the test run until they puke everyday during practices.

Fish
07-31-2009, 01:19 PM

I know. It just makes me feel foolish to see his career take the path that it has. I lost patience due to liking the fella so much. I hate that I was probably wrong about him. Maybe he'll still piece together some semblance of a pro career...

Chiefnj2
07-31-2009, 01:20 PM
I would love to see what Haley said to Dorsey. Also if Jackson doesn't get to camp soon how will Haley treat him?

He probably said to himself " I can't believe the team physicians cleared this guy at the combine."

OnTheWarpath15
07-31-2009, 01:21 PM
I know. It just makes me feel foolish to see his career take the path that it has. I lost patience due to liking the fella so much. I hate that I was probably wrong about him. Maybe he'll still piece together some semblance of a pro career...

There's no doubt that he has talent, he just can't stay healthy.

That's why he dropped to the 3rd round.

If we hadn't picked him, someone would have - there's too much potential there.

Shit happens, and we really had nothing to lose by taking the chance.

Chiefnj2
07-31-2009, 01:22 PM
Excerpt from usa today article pre-draft:

"During the combine, an NFLDraftScout.com story referred to an unnamed NFL team doctor saying there were serious concerns over a stress fracture in Dorsey's right shin suffered before the 2006 season.

"I had a hairline fracture my junior year of my right tibia," Dorsey said after a day's worth of laborious medical tests in Indianapolis on Feb. 23. "That wasn't a big issue to me. I played the whole year with it. It just calcified on my leg, and it has a little knot on it. No concern. No health concerns to my knowledge. I haven't missed a game since I've been at LSU. Everybody gets nicked up. I don't think it's an issue at all."

Dorsey's shin did start to bother him late in his All-America junior season in 2006, and he says that was a contributing factor to him not entering the draft a year ago. "

Fish
07-31-2009, 01:25 PM
Excerpt from usa today article pre-draft:

"During the combine, an NFLDraftScout.com story referred to an unnamed NFL team doctor saying there were serious concerns over a stress fracture in Dorsey's right shin suffered before the 2006 season.

"I had a hairline fracture my junior year of my right tibia," Dorsey said after a day's worth of laborious medical tests in Indianapolis on Feb. 23. "That wasn't a big issue to me. I played the whole year with it. It just calcified on my leg, and it has a little knot on it. No concern. No health concerns to my knowledge. I haven't missed a game since I've been at LSU. Everybody gets nicked up. I don't think it's an issue at all."

Dorsey's shin did start to bother him late in his All-America junior season in 2006, and he says that was a contributing factor to him not entering the draft a year ago. "

Wrong leg...

Dorsey had ice on his left shin as he left the cafeteria.

PunkinDrublic
07-31-2009, 01:28 PM
I wonder if I could pass their conditioning test.

CoMoChief
07-31-2009, 01:33 PM
Sure does. Drafted in the top 10 did't produce much and is a lazy peice of shit.

How is Dorsey lazy?

Titty Meat
07-31-2009, 01:34 PM
How is Dorsey lazy?

He had months to get in shape to pass the condtioning test.

CoMoChief
07-31-2009, 01:35 PM
He had months to get in shape to pass the condtioning test.

Was he injured though?

keg in kc
07-31-2009, 01:35 PM
Maybe we can trade him for some donut holes. He's probably not worth real donuts.

Titty Meat
07-31-2009, 01:36 PM
Was he injured though?

Don't know but Haley said he'll practice so he can't be that hurt.

OnTheWarpath15
07-31-2009, 01:38 PM
Don't know but Haley said he'll practice so he can't be that hurt.

He did indicate that a number of players will not be passed on the team physical for a number of reasons, and thus will be unable to practice Saturday morning.

So, someone's full of shit.

If he failed, he doesn't practice, per Haley.

Billay is claiming that Haley said Dorsey will practice.

Titty Meat
07-31-2009, 01:40 PM
So, someone's full of shit.

If he failed, he doesn't practice, per Haley.

Billay is claiming that Haley said Dorsey will practice.

Thats what I heard on 610 whatever thats worth.

Titty Meat
07-31-2009, 01:42 PM
"According to Head Coach Todd Haley, defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey isn't expected to miss any practicies. Haley did say that anytime a player misses a practice, it'll hurt. "No matter who you are, this is too big a job to miss any, nonetheless a lot, of time," he said. In discussion about the defensive line, Haley said that all he can do for now is evaluate the line. "Until tomorrow, when we're in pads, I can't say anything about the defensive line," he said. He also said that he couldn't speculate about Dorsey moving from inside tackle to defensive end"

OnTheWarpath15
07-31-2009, 01:53 PM
Thats what I heard on 610 whatever thats worth.

"According to Head Coach Todd Haley, defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey isn't expected to miss any practicies. Haley did say that anytime a player misses a practice, it'll hurt. "No matter who you are, this is too big a job to miss any, nonetheless a lot, of time," he said. In discussion about the defensive line, Haley said that all he can do for now is evaluate the line. "Until tomorrow, when we're in pads, I can't say anything about the defensive line," he said. He also said that he couldn't speculate about Dorsey moving from inside tackle to defensive end"

Wasn't calling you out, only pointing out the fact that something isn't right with this story.

Titty Meat
07-31-2009, 01:56 PM
So do we know for sure Dorsey failed the test? If he's not missing practice he msut have passed according to Haley's standards?

keg in kc
07-31-2009, 01:57 PM
Of course he failed, he's Dorsey. That's klingon for 'fail'.

GoHuge
07-31-2009, 02:05 PM
So do we know for sure Dorsey failed the test? If he's not missing practice he msut have passed according to Haley's standards?810 said Dorsey and Kolby Smith did not pass. Also BW didn't say anything to reporters as he walked by after the test.

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-31-2009, 02:17 PM
Of course he failed, he's Dorsey. That's klingon for 'fail'.

ROFL

If there has ever been a grade-A, indisputable, "E-Ticket" example of why drafting linemen high repeatedly is absolutely fucking stupid, it IS the Kansas City Chiefs.

FAX
07-31-2009, 03:18 PM
Damn it. If Dorsey is a bust, I'm going to burn down my neighbor's house.

Often have I wondered if the Chiefs' doctor had it in for Herm due to an long-forgotten episode that transpired in 1975 at San Diego State involving Herm, the doctor's little sister, and two empty Jim Beam bottles. It would explain why (even though Dorsey's college injury was, in fact, a serious problem), he wound up falling into our laps, and why the doctor cleared him. I know it's just a theory right now, but all the facts aren't in yet.

FAX

Groves
07-31-2009, 03:26 PM
Beside Barth...and they fkkin cut his ass.

He wasn't enough of a suck up.

aturnis
07-31-2009, 03:33 PM
Haley has also said repeatedly, that they would take each case(fail) on a case by case basis. There are things that factor into not passing other than being out of shape. The fact that Kolby, Croyle and Dorsey, among others, were all on the sidelines through much of OTA's, probably SHOUTS of special case. Not to mention the fact that Dorsey had an ice pack on his left leg.

YES, Dorsey did fail, we know this. Though, if he failed b/c of a bum wheel, and he was very close like he said, he'll probably practice no problem.

The one that gets me though, is Croyle. Yes he has rehabbed his knee, and been cleared to practice. So why didn't he have to run the test? Is it b/c he didn't have time to prepare like everyone else? Or b/c he's a 3rd string QB and noone cares?

Micjones
07-31-2009, 03:53 PM

Like if he were healthy that would make a difference?
He sucks and we have a QB now.

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-31-2009, 03:55 PM
Like if he were healthy that would make a difference?
He sucks and we have a QB now.

You still have to have a number 3 guy. Especially with this O-Line.

Mr. Krab
07-31-2009, 04:10 PM
I'd still like to know where/when/how this injury to Dorsey happened. The entire offseason to get over an injury, that wasn't even a big deal at the time, seems like a long time. So did Herm and Carl just brush it under the rug or is Dorsey a big,fat baby?

veist
07-31-2009, 08:26 PM
Wow, why don't you guys calling Dorsey a bust pull your heads out of your asses and get some realistic expectations. It was his rookie season, he played out of position, he was more productive in his rookie season than Warren Sapp. How many DTs make the jump from college to the Pro Bowl in one step?

RustShack
07-31-2009, 10:04 PM
Wow, why don't you guys calling Dorsey a bust pull your heads out of your asses and get some realistic expectations. It was his rookie season, he played out of position, he was more productive in his rookie season than Warren Sapp. How many DTs make the jump from college to the Pro Bowl in one step?

Yeah the people claiming hes a bust are clueless about the fine details of the NFL. On another note, I HEARD Dorsey and Waters both failed the tests, no source though.

LaChapelle
07-31-2009, 10:27 PM
Colquitt failed because he streaked. Haley hates a show off.

Reerun_KC
07-31-2009, 11:05 PM
LSU = Lazy State University?

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-31-2009, 11:35 PM
LSU = Lazy State University?

We loves us some Baton Rouge, for better or worse.

salame
08-01-2009, 01:00 AM
actually dorsey's 47 tackles last season matches warren sapp's career single season high
makes you wonder

Micjones
08-01-2009, 01:38 AM
You still have to have a number 3 guy. Especially with this O-Line.

Fair enough. Any bum will do.
If we get down to the third string QB we're screwed anyway.

Tribal Warfare
08-01-2009, 02:08 AM
Yeah the people claiming hes a bust are clueless about the fine details of the NFL. On another note, I HEARD Dorsey and Waters both failed the tests, no source though.

Dorsey himself admitted that he failed on the Riverfalls website

Mecca
08-01-2009, 02:36 AM
I love the lazy stuff or the he weighs to much...

He's a defensive lineman, and well it's kind of his job to be a big fat ass. 3-4 lineman especially are suppose to be big fat asses.

Does anyone here think that Ted Washington would ever pass a conditioning test? It didn't stop him in being a key piece to the Patriots superbowl. There are positions that just go with being a big fat ass.

BossChief
08-01-2009, 02:56 AM
actually dorsey's 47 tackles last season matches warren sapp's career single season high
makes you wonder

the thing about tackles is that you cant take them as fact because they are one of the few stats kept and recorded by their own team. Some teams credit every player that is touching the player tackled with a tackle, some break it down to assisted tackles and solo, some go off film, some off of the live game.

the point is, tackles are a decent barometer for how well the player is finding the ball, but not realy to compare players on different teams.

Personally, I think Tank will successfully transition to the nose, but hold little hope Dorsey transitions to end and almost no hope for Hali to transition to olb.

It pains me to say that, and its just my opinion, but I believe it will become true.

Titty Meat
08-01-2009, 02:59 AM
Nice excuses for Dorsey. The new regime made it clear they want football players who work and coming to came out of shape isn't good enough for this team. You can't say a player is a bust after on year but a guy drafted in the top 5 better be an impact player and Dorsey will need to work harder to become a great player.

Hammock Parties
08-01-2009, 03:03 AM
I love the lazy stuff or the he weighs to much...

He's a defensive lineman, and well it's kind of his job to be a big fat ass. 3-4 lineman especially are suppose to be big fat asses.

Does anyone here think that Ted Washington would ever pass a conditioning test? It didn't stop him in being a key piece to the Patriots superbowl. There are positions that just go with being a big fat ass.

Aaron Smith is a 3-4 DE and was in phenomenal shape. The dude was jacked.

It'd be nice if there were some good news on Dorsey for a change. So far he's one big giant FAIL.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-01-2009, 03:12 AM
Aaron Smith is a 3-4 DE and was in phenomenal shape. The dude was jacked.

It'd be nice if there were some good news on Dorsey for a change. So far he's one big giant FAIL.

He and Jackson better knock fists and do a "Wonder Twin Powers Activate", or I don't want to see another goddamned LSU recruit on this team for at least two drafts.

Mecca
08-01-2009, 03:32 AM
If the Chiefs draft Terrence Cody is everyone going to bitch that he's out of shape because the guy literally plays at 370lbs.

Titty Meat
08-01-2009, 03:43 AM
If the Chiefs draft Terrence Cody is everyone going to bitch that he's out of shape because the guy literally plays at 370lbs.

Dorsey didn't play like a top 5 pick and the new regime made it pretty clear come to camp in shape and he still didn't. That doesn't win championships.

Tribal Warfare
08-01-2009, 04:13 AM

He's trying to get down to 350 though, he's at 365 now

Mecca
08-01-2009, 04:26 AM
Dorsey didn't play like a top 5 pick and the new regime made it pretty clear come to camp in shape and he still didn't. That doesn't win championships.

Well the new regime is also switching to a defense that when he was drafted everyone said he wasn't a fit for...

I don't see Dorsey working out here, he's not a fit for a 3-4, he's a penetrating under tackle not a block eating 3-4 end.

And also taking a DT top 5 means you won't get immediate production it's a position where guys do not dominate right away, it just doesn't happen.

-King-
08-01-2009, 04:51 AM

If we got Cody, I would be crying because of happiness. This guy is a beast!

RustShack
08-01-2009, 07:48 AM

Its hard to get in shape on one leg, especially when your a lineman.

Titty Meat
08-01-2009, 09:02 AM
Its hard to get in shape on one leg, especially when your a lineman.

The question is why would you draft a d-linemen with 1 leg? Oh yea Carl Peterson was the GM duh

sportsman1
08-01-2009, 09:07 AM
People are going over-board on Dorsey. He is a sophomore player. Wait, and see how he adjusts, and how he is used. I hope he is ready for the first pre-season game b/c he is one I would like to see out there.

Titty Meat
08-01-2009, 09:09 AM
People are going over-board on Dorsey. He is a sophomore player. Wait, and see how he adjusts, and how he is used. I hope he is ready for the first pre-season game b/c he is one I would like to see out there.

If you can't practice how can you adjust to a new position? Pioli should sell while Dorsey still has value. Like Mecca said he doesn't fit this defense thats a good excuse for trading him.

sportsman1
08-01-2009, 09:12 AM
What value can you really get out of a DT that hasn't hardly played?

veist
08-01-2009, 01:13 PM

You don't know what words mean, do you?