PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs ****The Official 2009 Training Camp Update Thread****

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

DaWolf
07-31-2009, 12:24 PM
Figure we might as well have one?

http://www.bobgretz.com/
http://www.uwrf.edu/chiefs/prev_updates.php
http://www.kcchiefs.com/default.asp
http://chiefsblog.kansascity.com/
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/
http://twitter.com/kb_kcstar
http://twitter.com/brandoncarr
http://kan.scout.com/
http://www.arrowheadpride.com/
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/page/KC

DaWolf
07-31-2009, 12:24 PM
Go ahead and go to the link, they seem to update the page every few minutes as they get more interviews.

http://www.uwrf.edu/chiefs/prev_updates.php?page=2&Files=090731pm.htm
Friday, July 31 - Todd Haley Press Conference

Safety Jarrad Page talked with media around lunchtime. When asked if he was worried about the competition he'd face against safety Bernard Pollard, Page said, "I don't really get into competition. I just go out and see what happens." Page said the defensive transitions were going smoothly thus far. "Coach (Clancy) Pendergast is doing a great job explaining why we do everything the way we do," he said. Page also commented that the key to improving defense is to "just tackle."

Tight end Brad Cottam showed up to lunch at the University Center wearing a yellow cut-off shirt and green visor. He commented on the conditioning test that Head Coach Todd Haley had the players participate in earlier in the morning. "Most guys made it," Cottam said. He said the team knew the test was coming, so they had been preparing for it and working hard in the off-season. Cottam said that the mentality of the team so far has been "exciting and new." "We'll see in a week how things are looking," he said. Cottam also said that he's excited to get pads on and practice.

Brad Cottam, Chiefs tight end, said that at last year's training camp he got to room with former Chiefs tight end Tony Gonzalez and learn a lot from him. "Last year was an adjusting year for me," Cottam said. "I know what to expect a little more this year." Cottam also said that last year he was most worried about showing up to camp, being big in stature. "I was 280 last year," he said. This year, he said he is more focused on being in shape. As far as Cottam's goals in the the upcoming season are concerned, he said he wants to excel at both aspects, blocking and receving, of the tight end position.

Tight end Brad Cottam said that part of the reason he enjoys training camp in River Falls is because the team is able to get away and focus. "There are no families," he said. "It's just the team. It's just us."

Running back Jamaal Charles was pleased with how this morning's conditioning test went, commenting that everyone made time, and as a whole, the team looks to be in good shape. Personally, Charles has gained eight pounds in the off-season. Even with the additional weight, Charles is not concerned about his speed. "I've been running on the track to keep up my speed," he said. "The extra pounds won't affect me." When asked how he was able to put on the pounds, Charles said, laughing that he learned to "never miss a meal."

Jamaal Charles, Chiefs running back, said that his responsibilities are going to be a little different this year. He wants to prove himself as an every-down running back. "It doesn't matter if someone's big or strong if you've got heart," he said. When asked how last year's season affects the team's mentalitiy this year, Charles simply said that he doesn't count last year. "We had no wins."

The common question in today's lunchtime interviews was how the conditioning went earlier in the morning. Center Rudy Niswanger was all smiles as he spoke to reporters. He commented on the fact that the team knew about the conditioning test, so they were all able to prepare, train and stay focused. "Yeah, it's a good thing the conditioning test is done," Niswanger said. "Now we can move on to football."

When asked if he thought this year's team was in better shape than last year, center Rudy Niswanger said, "Oh yeah." Niswanger said that being in shape allows for the players to stay better conditioned and learn how to approach plays smarter. With being better conditioned, Niswanger forsees his team as being able to stay fresh throughout an entire game. "We'll have better fourth quarters," he said. "Therefore, we'll have less fourth quarter losses."

Rudy Niswanger, Chiefs center, said the team has a great mentality heading into training camp. "Our attitude is about competition and excitement," he said. Niswanger said that the team has been approaching every drill as competition, and that leaves the center excited about the possibilities.

The Chiefs have had several young guys on their team in the last two years. Center Rudy Niswanger said that battle at each spot is intense. In his spot at center, Niswanger said it's a battle everyday. Regardless, of the young average age of the team, the offensive line has a couple individuals whose age is increasing. "I'm not worried about age," Niswanger said. "Age is just a number." Niswanger also commented on the addition of guard Mike Goff.

Linebacker Derrick Johnson said that at the completion of the team's conditioning test in the morning, he could really tell that people had worked hard to prepare for it. "The coaches really hyped up the test," he said. "We were all anxious to get it over with." Personally, Johnson said he weighs in at 237 pounds, which fulfills his goal of staying beneath 240. At his weight, Johnson said he will be seeing time primarily as an inside linebacker.

Under new Defensive Coordinator Clancy Pendergast, linebacker Derrick Johnson said the defense is mentally trying to learn everything about the new scheme their implementing. "Once we get the mental part out of the way, we'll be good to go by the first game," he said. Apart from the mental transitions the Chiefs defense is undergoing, Johnson said they really need to focus on tackling as well. "You have to tackle to have a better defense," he said. "A good defense is a good tackling team." Near the end of Johnson's interview, defensive end Alfonso Boone left the University Center and kicked the back of Johnson's knees. To wrap up, Johnson said that he's psyched about the defense's new scheme, commenting that it's simliar to things he had run at the University of Texas.

Defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey said that he's still got a ways to go after the team's conditioning test. Dorsey met with reporters before lunch with his left shin on ice. He said that it wasn't anything to worry about, though. Dorsey had missed a couple Organized Team Activities, and said he's ready to get back to where he was, ready to get back in shape. "There's always pressure to perform well," the second-year defensive lineman said. Dorsey is expected to spend some time working as a defensive end this season. "It's just a different name. There's a lot of things similar between being a tackle and being an end," he said. "I'm looking forward to it. I know I can do it."

Last year, defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey was the Chiefs first selection in the NFL Draft. Dorsey didn't sign with the Chiefs and make it to training camp until a couple days after the team arrived. Similarily, this year's first selection defensive end Tyson Jackson has not arrived at camp yet. Dorsey said he has talked with Jackson, and right now, the rookie is taking care of the business aspect of everything. Dorsey anticipates that Jackson will be on his way shortly. Dorsey said that he has talked to Jackson about the grief he should be expecting from the veteran players when he finally gets to camp. Dorsey said he understands how frustrating it is to want to speed up the process, but he's told Jackson to focus on taking it "one day, one hour, one minute at a time." "I'm familiar with the pressure and anxiety to get here," he said.

DaKCMan AP
07-31-2009, 12:28 PM
JFC, you don't need to state a player's position eleventy-billion times.

DaWolf
07-31-2009, 12:29 PM
Dorsey failed...
http://chiefsblog.kansascity.com/?q=node/872
The Chiefs' conditioning test is over. Most passed. Some didn't. Here's one who didn't
Chiefs coach Todd Haley has made it clear, again and again, that conditioning is a priority. It's a basic element of success, he believes, and it clears the way for coaches to emphasize more important and advanced issues during the relatively brief three weeks of training camp.
So when a likely starter fails the conditioning test, it's a tough thing to deal with. Defensive end Glenn Dorsey admitted Friday that he was among the handful of players who didn't pass the test.
"Close," he said after a long pause. "I've still got a ways to go."
In Dorsey's defense, he had ice taped to his left lower leg. It's ostensibly the same injury that kept Dorsey out of most offseason practices. Dorsey has enough work ahead that he can't afford a long absence from practices, which begin tomorrow. Haley has said players can't join team activities before passing the test. Dorsey is making the switch from tackle to end.
Before he gets to that, though, he has other work to do.

Pablo
07-31-2009, 12:44 PM
Dorsey failed...
Damn..looks like this won't be the year Dorsey gets hit shit together...

DaKCMan AP
07-31-2009, 12:45 PM
Damn..looks like this won't be the year Dorsey gets hit shit together...

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:rolleyes:

Dayze
07-31-2009, 12:47 PM
We're cursed at the Dline position.

Hopefully Jackson and Magee can break that curse.

DaWolf
07-31-2009, 12:59 PM
Interesting...

Head Coach Todd Haley held a press conference around lunchtime at the University Center. He talked about how the conditioning test went earlier this morning. The conditioning test was the second part of Haley's physical for the players, and he said it went well. He said he feels good about the team and how they managed to stay in condition throughout the off-season. When asked how he felt about the results of the test, Haley said, "It's about what I expected from the guys. I'm happy." Haley said that a few players didn't pass the test, but he wouldn't disclose the number of players who failed the physical. "I'll tell you this," Haley said, "No guys are real far off, and I feel good about that." Haley also said that a handful of players won't be practicing tomorrow for a bunch of different reasons. The coach wanted to wait before he discussed which players would be missing practice tomorrow due to injury or other health issues.

Conditioning is something that is very important to Head Coach Todd Haley. "Conditioning is an important factor to win games," he said. "It's something that myself and my coaching staff are going to stress throughout the entire season."

When asked about the status of rookie defensive end Tyson Jackson, Head Coach Todd Haley repeated that he only wants to discuss the guys who are at camp already.

During Head Coach Todd Haley's press conference, the mentality of running back Larry Johnson was discussed. Haley was asked how Johnson's attitude has been with the team so far. Haley said that he pays attention to what the guys are working on. "What my players are doing here is more important than what they're saying," Haley said. Haley said the running back's attitude has been no problem for him, and he can tell that Johnson really enjoys football. "Larry is a capable football player," Haley said.

In stride with the discussion about running back Larry Johnson, Head Coach Todd Haley said he's excited to see the group of running backs play out at camp. Haley said he has hopes for running back Jamaal Charles, saying that he thought a lot of Charles when he got out of college. "He has the ability," Haley said.

According to Head Coach Todd Haley, defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey isn't expected to miss any practicies. Haley did say that anytime a player misses a practice, it'll hurt. "No matter who you are, this is too big a job to miss any, nonetheless a lot, of time," he said. In discussion about the defensive line, Haley said that all he can do for now is evaluate the line. "Until tomorrow, when we're in pads, I can't say anything about the defensive line," he said. He also said that he couldn't speculate about Dorsey moving from inside tackle to defensive end.

Head Coach Todd Haley discussed the Chiefs kicking competition during a press conference. He said that although the team picked up kicker Ryan Succop, the kicking competition has not been elmiminated. Haley said that Succop was drafted for a reason. "He's strong, and the (kicking) area is important to us," Haley said. "We have to crunch to try and figure out what to do and who we can afford to lose." He also said that even kicker Connor Barth, who the Chiefs cut last week, is not out of the running. "Not only are these guys competing with each other," he said, "but they're also competing with every other player in every other training camp out there." Haley said this competition is what training camp is for.

Todd Haley, Chiefs head coach, said he's excited to start practicing with pads on. "We've got a short amount of time, so we'll be practicing with pads on everyday," he said. "We've got to get ready, and the only way to get ready for football is with pads on."

http://www.uwrf.edu/chiefs/prev_updates.php?page=2&Files=090731pm.htm

DaWolf
07-31-2009, 01:02 PM
From Teicher:
http://chiefsblog.kansascity.com/?q=node/873
Haley happy with conditioning
Though not every player completed his conditioning test today in the assigned time, coach Todd Haley said he was satisfied that as a whole, the Chiefs arrived at training camp in good physical condition.
"I was concerned (whether) guys during their little bit of time off continued to stay in condition," he said. "As a group, we did that."
Haley wouldn't reveal which players failed the conditioning test but said the Chiefs had a handful of players who won't practice tomorrow because of physical issues.
He wouldn't identify those players, either. But running back Kolby Smith, who had knee surgery last season, and defensive lineman Glenn Dorsey, who said he failed the conditioning test, will apparently be among them.
"I won’t get into numbers," Haley said. "We had a handful of guys that are not going to pass the physical for a number of different reasons, not necessarily for running. We don’t have anybody that’s real far off. That’s what I feel good about. None of these are long-term deals. We should have everybody going pretty soon.
"There will be a number of guys not practicing tomorrow. It won’t all be because of this part of the physical. This was part of our physical examination. We have a number of guys that won’t practice tomorrow, a handful I should say."

Dayze
07-31-2009, 01:04 PM
Haley made a good point today on the radio (possibly recorded yesterday etc)
Petro mentioned that Pioli had stated that Cassel ‘earned his contract’ but still needs to ‘earn his job’ etc. Petro went on to say that was a bit exaggerated - that no team would pay that kind of money and give up a pick simply to have a competition at the position etc.

Haley then mentioned something I forgot about; he favored Warner over the highly drafted/paid Leinart; and also Romo over highly paid (at least comparatively speaking) Bledsoe;

Finally, he re-empahsized the decision to go with Brady over the newly signed and highly paid Bledsoe. I forget what they signed Bledsoe at that time for….seemed pretty large at the time.

Anyway; I like Haley and Pioli’s approach thus far about competing. Of course, talk is cheap so far. We’ll see.

DaWolf
07-31-2009, 01:08 PM
Haley made a good point today on the radio (possibly recorded yesterday etc)
Petro mentioned that Pioli had stated that Cassel ‘earned his contract’ but still needs to ‘earn his job’ etc. Petro went on to say that was a bit exaggerated - that no team would pay that kind of money and give up a pick simply to have a competition at the position etc.

Haley then mentioned something I forgot about; he favored Warner over the highly drafted/paid Leinart; and also Romo over highly paid (at least comparatively speaking) Bledsoe;

Finally, he re-empahsized the decision to go with Brady over the newly signed and highly paid Bledsoe. I forget what they signed Bledsoe at that time for….seemed pretty large at the time.

Anyway; I like Haley and Pioli’s approach thus far about competing. Of course, talk is cheap so far. We’ll see.

It's the same thing with playing Grbac over Gannon. Carl wanted his highly paid guy to be the starter and Marty was too stubborn to allow a guy to lose the job based on injury, which probably clouded the fact that they should have stayed with the guy who was playing well.

I think what Haley and Pioli are saying is that they absolutely believe that Cassel is the guy who will go out there and win the job and that they believe he is better than the other guys, but that's not going to stop them from trying to win if Cassel falls flat on his face and Thigpen all of a sudden turns into an all pro and a great leader...

Dayze
07-31-2009, 01:27 PM
It's the same thing with playing Grbac over Gannon. Carl wanted his highly paid guy to be the starter and Marty was too stubborn to allow a guy to lose the job based on injury, which probably clouded the fact that they should have stayed with the guy who was playing well.

I think what Haley and Pioli are saying is that they absolutely believe that Cassel is the guy who will go out there and win the job and that they believe he is better than the other guys, but that's not going to stop them from trying to win if Cassel falls flat on his face and Thigpen all of a sudden turns into an all pro and a great leader...

yep; refreshing to know that the GM and Coach want to win; and if that means starting someone else who's benching someone who's making more money etc....so be it. I always got the opposite feeling from Carl; guys who are getting a big paycheck always play - regardless (Gannon/Grbac etc)

Hammock Parties
07-31-2009, 01:29 PM
DaWolf, WPI will have daily updates...

Mr. Arrowhead
07-31-2009, 01:30 PM

that dont count

Hammock Parties
07-31-2009, 01:32 PM
that dont count

Uh, and why not?

Titty Meat
07-31-2009, 01:32 PM

For free?

Hammock Parties
07-31-2009, 01:33 PM
For free?

Yes. Putting up one right now, with fresh quotes.

DaWolf
07-31-2009, 01:34 PM

Feel free to post any links to update sites and I'll add it to the list at the top...

Hammock Parties
07-31-2009, 01:39 PM
http://kan.scout.com/2/883591.html

The Chiefs took to the field this morning, but not for practice. Today was the day for the all-important conditioning test. Head Coach Todd Haley addressed the media this afternoon and was positive about the team’s direction going into tomorrow’s two-a-day practices.

“I thought that as a whole it went very well,” he said. “One of the things I told you guys was that I was concerned that guys during their little bit of time off that they would continue to stay in condition, which I think as a group we did that and I feel pretty good about that now. Tomorrow, ah, the real fun starts.”

Not every player passed the test or other parts of the physical, but Haley would not release those player’s names, saying he has yet to discuss it with them and would like to do so first. Those who didn’t pass will not be practicing tomorrow.

“When have a number of guys, a handful of guys, who are not going to pass the physical right now for a number of reasons,” said Haley. “Not necessarily because of running. There are a number of different reasons. We don’t have anybody who’s real far off, that’s what I feel good about. None of these are long term deals it doesn’t appear. We should have everybody going pretty soon.”

Haley reiterated his earlier comments about wanting his team to be well-conditioned in order to perform at its highest level.

“Whatever stage - whether it’s the fourth quarter, the 16th game, the 18th game, the 19th, whatever it is, conditioning in my mind and our staff’s mind is an important factor in helping you to win games,” he said. “That’s why it’s something we’ve stressed from day one and will continue to stress all the way through the season.”

Haley was quick to say talk is just talk. He doesn’t care about it, and just wants to see his players walk the walk.

“That’s more important to all the fans out there,” he said. “But I know myself as a coach I go by what I see. That’s kind of why throughout the spring I said the things I said. If guys are working, if guys are here, then that’s what I’m interested in and not really in what they’re saying, but what they’re doing.”

Friday, running back Larry Johnson commented on his role with the team and his desire to win games this season. He believes a new team and a new Larry Johnson will become evident. Haley had nothing but positive things to say about his running back.

“From my first day on the job Larry Johnson has appeared to be a player who enjoys football and he enjoys working at it,” he said. “Larry obviously has proven in the past that’s he’s capable of being a very good running back in the league. Right now running back in general, that’s one of the groups I’m excited to see how it plays out here, ‘cause I think we have some talent there and we have some competitive guys.”

Haley made it clear that competition will not just be expected of the players, but necessary to win jobs that he says have not been claimed yet.

“Every position is wide open,” he said. “I just told the team that at eight o’clock. This is an opportunity for everyone so every position is wide open right now.”

While most players have been required to cut weight this offseason, running back Jamaal Charles has put on a few pounds at his coaches’ request.

“Jamaal is a guy that we have hopes for,” said Haley. “When he was coming out of college he was a player I thought a lot of. He’s definitely got ability, now it’s more of a deal of what he’s going to do with it.”

Defensive end Glenn Dorsey was close, but failed in his attempt to pass the conditioning test. Whether he’s not completely healthy or at his physical best, Haley wouldn’t say if last year’s first-round pick will step on the field for practice tomorrow.

“I don’t know that he’s missing any time right now,” he said. “Any time you miss it’s gonna hurt you, it doesn’t matter who you are. It’s football season…football players are out on the field and they need to be out there. It’s too big of job to miss any time, let alone a lot of time.”

Some may think the kicking competition is over, but Haley said the return of former Chiefs kicker Connor Barth, who was released on waivers Tuesday, is a possibility.

“The competition has definitely not been eliminated,” he said. “I could probably pull out a list right now of veteran kickers who are probably on a field right now staying ready. With the roster numbers this year, it’s definitely a crunch to try to figure out what you want to do and who you can afford to lose. Connor is a guy that really worked hard in the off-season and did a commendable job last year so even Connor is not out of the running at this point; it’s just a move we felt we had to make so the competition is on for everybody. “

Haley went on to express confidence in Ryan Succop, the team’s rookie kicker.

“We drafted Ryan for a reason,” he said. “He’s a big, strong guy that should be pretty good on kickoffs and do some of those things, which is important. Whether it’s Ryan or Connor or any other person out there right now, I don’t know.”

First-round pick Tyson Jackson has yet to sign or make an appearance at camp, but Haley said he would not be discussed. His only concern is with the players already present, and Haley made sure they know their time is precious.

“As I told all the guys,” he said, “they’re not just competing with the guys on this practice field, but really every other training camp that’s going on.”

Hammock Parties
07-31-2009, 01:43 PM
Fans shooed away...

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2009/7/31/970952/new-regime-still-high-on-secracy

I showed up today to take a glimpse of the new chiefs during their conditioning test today. I knew nothing exciting would be going on but still wanted to watch. We were sitting in our car waiting for it to start at ten, when todd haley walked by and I said Hey and he kind of looked almost mad that we were there to watch but he kind of gave a obligated wave.

So they were stretching and we were standing over 100 yards away and then the the security guard get a call on his walkie talkie that says send the fans home its closed today, there wasnt two many fans maybe ten or so. So the security guard nicely told us we had to go.

After winning 6 games over the last two years, I thought the new regime would be a little more supportive of the fans that drive the 7 hours too watch them PRACTICE, but i guess i was wrong. We currently have 2 season tickets and we were going to try and get 2 more, but i just dont think im going to spend that much money until this secracy finally pays off.

Titty Meat
07-31-2009, 01:45 PM
Fans shooed away...

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2009/7/31/970952/new-regime-still-high-on-secracy

The only thing this regime cares about is winning. Fans respect that shit!

stevieray
07-31-2009, 01:47 PM

so what?

wild1
07-31-2009, 01:50 PM
what about Dorsey failing the fitness test?

the Talking Can
07-31-2009, 02:04 PM
does dorsey ever actually fucking recover from an injury?

fuck, its like every injury he has ever had is still with him....omfgwtf!

Chief Henry
07-31-2009, 02:12 PM
Finally......Football :)

Dayze
07-31-2009, 02:23 PM
Finally......Football :)

Don’t worry;
Local radio will still take 2 more months to finally drop all the pointless Royals ramblings. :D

I desperately to add an account to my wife’s Sirius radio; get one for my car and listen to NFL channel during my 40 mile each way commute.

DaWolf
07-31-2009, 02:32 PM
http://www.bobgretz.com/chiefs-football/dorsey-has-talked-with-jackson.html#more-9698

Click on the link, support Bob's page. Click on all the links actually and support all the people getting us news.

DORSEY HAS TALKED WITH JACKSON
July 31, 2009 - Bob Gretz |
From River Falls, Wisconsin
As last year’s first-round draft choice DE Glenn Dorsey missed the first day of training camp.
Dorsey signed the next day, missing two practices in all and there wasn’t anything that he missed that he didn’t have the opportunity to make up.
And Dorsey has been in contact with this year’s first-round selection DE Tyson Jackson. The former teammates at LSU have talked several times in the last week, as Jackson missed the start of camp on Friday.
“He wants to be here, but he’s got to take care of business,” Dorsey said Friday afternoon as he headed into the UW-River Falls cafeteria for lunch. “It was the same with me. I wanted to be here from the first day last year, but there are things you have to get done and it’s the time you do them.
“I told him the ropes, but he’s got to do what he’s got to do. I think he’ll be here pretty soon.”
Jackson remains the highest pick from the 2009 NFL Draft that is unsigned. On Thursday, the second choice OT Jason Smith agreed on a deal with the St. Louis Rams.
Todd Haley again refused to address the situation with Jackson.
But Dorsey understands what he’s going through.
“You worry about what you are missing and how far behind you are going to be when you get here,” said Dorsey. “You know you are going to have to deal with the veterans and they are going to have something to tell you.
“He’ll be here when he gets everything done. It’s a business too and everything needs to be right.”

InChiefsHeaven
07-31-2009, 02:55 PM
Shouldn't this thread be a sticky?

Hammock Parties
08-01-2009, 11:01 AM
CRACK THAT WHIP

As punishment for jumping offsides during a pass rush drill, Chiefs coach Todd Haley had DE Alex Magee and DT Derek Lokey immediately run the length of the field and back -- a 200-yard penalty.

Mecca
08-01-2009, 11:02 AM
CRACK THAT WHIP

And stuff like that is why I don't think Tony Gonzalez is here.

Fritz88
08-01-2009, 11:10 AM

JD10367
08-01-2009, 11:11 AM
Thank God football season is back. I went to the Patriots' second practice yesterday, and even just watching guys go through slow-motion drills gets me wishing it were September already. It sucks that you guys don't have camp near Kansas City yet...

Tribal Warfare
08-01-2009, 11:13 AM
Camp Practice Update 8/1 A.M. (http://www.bobgretz.com/chiefs-football/camp-practice-update-81-am.html)
August 1, 2009 - Bob Gretz |

There were some butterflies for Todd Haley as he led the first training camp practice in his tenure as head coach.

“I forgot to blow the whistle a couple of times,” Haley said. “When you are an assistant, they don’t let you have a whistle. Only the head coach. I missed a couple, I’ve got to

“That’s one (practice) down, one day of semi-controlled chaos.”

Haley was having a little fun with the chaos comment. The workout was very much like any other first-day practice around NFL training camps. The Chiefs were in full pads and they actually had a live hitting session when they worked on goal line offense and defense. Haley liked the way the team practiced.

“We had to get on them a little bit about making sure they get from drill to drill quickly, but otherwise it was a good morning,” Haley said.

The head coach also proved to be intolerant of mental mistakes, as he made both DE Alex Magee and DT Derek Lokey run 200 yards (up and down the length of the field once) as punishment for jumping offsides in a pass rush-pass protection drill.

There were two apparent injuries during the workout, as ILB Derrick Johnson left with what looked like a pulled hamstring and G Edwin Harrison went down with an injury to his lower right leg.

There were nine players missing from the workout because they’ve not yet passed the team physical. On the PUP List are RB Kolby Smith, DE Glenn Dorsey and TE Jake O’Connell. Smith is coming off a knee injury and surgery from last season. Dorsey is battling a left shin problem and O’Connell appeared to have a calf injury.

On the NFI List the Chiefs placed LB Brian Waters, RG Mike Goff, RT Damion McIntosh, DT Ron Edwards, DE Dion Gales and LB Demorrio Williams. Haley would not address the non-practicing players but it’s a good bet those guys on the NFI are the ones who failed to complete the conditioning test in the required time on Friday moring.

Here’s some highlights from the morning session:

- The Chiefs ran about seven or eight plays in a live goal-line segment. Everybody was allowed to be hit but the quarterback. On the first play, RB Larry Johnson jumped outside and beat LB Zach Thomas to the pylon for a nice touchdown. Later, L.J. got dragged down in the backfield on a run right by DT Derek Lokey, who had a great tackle. RB Jamaal Charles tried the inside and there was great controversy on whether he crossed the goal line or not. No ruling was ever given, but Charles took several big shots inside on the play. The drill ended with QB Tyler Thigpen throwing a TD pass to TE Tony Curtis.

- Rookie free agent LB Jovan Belcher showed up several times with big hits, once in the run-oriented nine-on-seven drill and then again in team work when he hit RB Javarris Williams in the backfield and forced a fumble.

- With Goff, Waters and McIntosh out of the No. 1 offensive line, filling their spots were Herb Taylor at RT, wade Smith at LG and Tavares Washington at RG.

- When D.J. went down, Monty Beisel took his spot with the No. 1 defense.

- Here’s how the No. 1 defense lined up: Alfonso Boone, Tank Tyler and Alex Magee across the front, with Beisel and Zach Thomas at inside linebacker and then Mike Vrabel and Tamba Hali at OLB. The secondary was the Brandons (Flowers and Carr) on the corners with Jarrad Page and Bernard Pollard at the safety spots.

- Rookie WR Quinten Lawrence flashed his speed during the one-on-ones when he blew past CB Maurice Leggett on a deep post. Leggett is one of the fastest players on the team. QB Matt Cassel’s throw was too long for Lawrence to make the catch.

- Second-year man Barry Richardson worked at both right tackle and left guard during the pass protection drill. When he moved inside he didn’t do a bad job against Magee.

- In a pass rush drill OLB Mike Vrabel ran past Richardson at RT two of the three times he rushed. Richardson snuffed his inside move on the third snap.

- Also in the pass rush drill, OLB Turk McBride and LT Branden Albert locked up in a good battle, with McBride getting a slight edge on this day.

- After practice there were 12 different players catching kicks off the jugs machine as the Chiefs continue to search for kick and punt returners. They were: RBs Charles, Williams, Jackie Battle and Dantrell Savage; WRs Lawrence, Terrance Copper, Taurus Johnson and Rodney Wright and DBs Leggett, Donald Washington, Jackie Battle and Londen Fryar.

– The safeties spent extra time after practice working with assistant coach Ronnie Bradford. It appeared they were working on keys to help them with that fine line between run support and dropping in coverage.

- K Ryan Succop hit six of eight kicks, missing wide left and one was blocked. It was impossible to tell the distance, but he made his last kick, which appeared to be close to 50 yards and did it in very windy conditions.

NOTES: Weather conditions were perfect for a football practice, with cloudy skies, a nice breeze and temperatures in the lower 60s, with no humidity … three of the four Hunt siblings attended the practice: Lamar Jr., Clark and Daniel … a big contingent of national media was there, including Alex Marvez from Foxsports.com, Don Banks of SI.com and Nancy Gay of AOL.com … after practice the running backs signed autographs for the crowd.

Tribal Warfare
08-01-2009, 11:31 AM
Saturday, August 1: Morning Practice (http://www.uwrf.edu/chiefs/prev_updates.php?page=2&Files=090801am.htm)

It was a blustery, chilly start to the 2009 Kansas City Chiefs Summer Training Camp. The first practice was 60 degrees with a partly sunny sky and a dewpoint of 52. There was a gusty wind towards the west at 10 miles-per-hour with an overall humidity of 74 percent.

Defense

Defensive end Dion Gales, linebacker Demorrio Williams, defensive end Glenn Dorsey and defensive tackle Ron Edwards were not dressed in pads for practice today. They spent the majority of practice in the northwest corner of the practice fields, riding stationary bikes, jogging, lifting weights and doing other sorts of workouts. Around 9:45 a.m. linebacker Derrick Johnson joined his teammates on the stationary bikes.

During a drill, a defensive player represented an offensive player, and the linebackers would shift according to this man’s movements. A lot of yelling was done during the drill in order for everyone of the players to be on the same page and know where to go.

At 9:23 a.m. another horn sounded, and the offense and defense split up. Defensive end Alfonso Boone, defensive tackle Tank Tyler, defensive tackle Derek Lokey, defensive end Wallace Gilberry, defensive end Alex Magee and defensive end Bobby Greenwood spent some time on the single sled with Defensive Line Coach Tim Krumrie. Krumrie paused once or twice to show the men how they should be using their hands. “Stay as square as you can with tight hands,” he said. “Make sure you’re not lunging!”

After running drills on the single sled, defensive end Alfonso Boone, defensive tackle Tank Tyler, defensive tackle Derek Lokey, defensive end Wallace Gilberry, defensive end Alex Magee and defensive end Bobby Greenwood moved to drills on four cone-shaped dummies. Defensive Line Coach Tim Krumrie hollered, “You’re not listening! Club, rip it!” on several occasions. The group ran different routes amongst the four dummies to simulate different situations in which the defensive linemen would have to break through offensive blockers to reach the quarterback. In order to be successful at the drill, Krumrie told the players to keep their “feet underneath them. Feet, feet, feet!” During one of the routes, Krumrie stood really close to the third dummy and hollered, “Step, step, club!” as the men ran by.

Rookie defensive end Alex Magee was getting his fair share of praise from Defensive Line Coach Tim Krumrie. At one point Krumrie told the end from Purdue that he was doing a good job. “There ya go. Good, Alex, good,” Krumrie said.

When the horn sounded at 9:40 a.m. all the defensive players got together except for defensive end Alfonso Boone, defensive tackle Tank Tyler, defensive tackle Derek Lokey, defensive end Wallace Gilberry, defensive end Alex Magee and defensive end Bobby Greenwood who stayed with Defensive Line Coach Tim Krumrie. “I’m looking at your eyes men. Tank, you’re looking at the ground,” Krumrie hollered. “See me!” Later, when the defensive linement were working on some one-on-one drills, Krumrie told the men to “throw that son of a (gun).”

During a 7-on-7 drill, utilizing the offense’s running game, defensive end Alfonso Boone, defensive tackle Tank Tyler and linebackers Tamba Hali, Mike Vrabel, Monty Beisel and Zach Thomas all saw time with the first-string. Rounding out the 7-on-7 first-string was rookie defensive end Alex Magee. Later, during a 7-on-7 drill addressing the passing game, cornerbacks Brandon Carr, Maurice Leggett, and Brandon Flowers; safeties Bernard Pollard and Jarrad Page; and linebackers Tamba Hali, Monty Beisel, Mike Vrabel and Zach Thomas were considered first-string. Linebacker Weston Dacus also saw time, giving Thomas a bit of a breather.

During the 7-on-7 passing drill, linebacker Weston Dacus had an interception off quarterback Tyler Thigpen as well as a ball that he was able to knock down, also from Thigpen. Cornerback Travis Daniels showed good coverage on rookie wide receiver Quinten Lawrence as the ball sailed through the rookie’s hands. Earlier, Daniels had a good defensive cover on wide receiver Devard Darling. Darling was also stopped well by cornerback Ricardo Colclough earlier in the drill.

Offense

Special Teams

Newly acquired kicker Ryan Succop kicked some footballs the distance of the middle practice field across. After a while, Succop began kicking through the goal post from the 20-yard line. It was up to fans on the south end to shag the balls. Fans would retrieve the football, throw it back to long snapper Tanner Purdum who would then throw the ball to punter Dustin Colquitt. “Hey, can I get a few snaps?” Succop asked Purdum after a few more kicks through the uprights.

At 9:05 a.m. the horn blew, and the defensive worked on getting off the line toward kicker Ryan Succop. During the drill, punter Dustin Colquitt, who was holding the ball for Succop, ran a fake play. Colquitt got the snap, Succop faked the kick, and Colquitt ran the ball. This trick play was run twice.

Extra, extra...

At 9:15 a.m. the team began warm-ups. Both the offense and defense ran the length of the middle practice field across twice before they turned to face each other to stretch. Wide receiver Dwayne Bowe was the only player with his helmet on during stretches before a teammate pointed it out, and he took it off. Bowe was the closest player to the fans on the south fence during stretches. These fans were hollering at Bowe, and in response, the receiver flashed a smile their way. During the stretches, Head Coach Todd Haley wandered in between all the players.

The team took their final huddle at 10:48 a.m. After practice, the defensive backs stayed out, running various drills on separate fields.

At the conclusion of practice, running backs Mike Cox, Larry Johnson, Jamaal Charles, Dantrell Savage, Kolby Smith and Jackie Battle signed autographs for eager and excited fans on the west side of the practice fields, along the fence.

Fans

Chiefs Assistant Equipment Manager Allen Wright headed toward the sidelines with a football he said was “kind of flat,” and handed it to seven-year-old Sterling Short of West Des Moines, Iowa. Short said he was afraid Wright was coming over to yell at him because Short had dropped his own Nerf football on the other side of the fence moments earlier.

The Moore family, Sean (father), Patrick (15), Katherine (13), Matthew (9), Stephen (7) and Thomas (3) from Carbondate, Kan. headed to River Falls, Wis. for a summer vacation with their uncle Miguel Rodriguez from Carlsbad, N.M. Cousins Mitchell Tillges (14) from Cambridge, Minn. and Jared White (13) from South St. Paul, Minn. were also there. Usually the Moore family comes to River Falls during the winter months for vacation, but they decided to switch things up this year and come during the summer in order to watch the Chiefs practice during Summer Training Camp. Their favorite player is safety DaJuan Morgan and last night, they made a large sign approximately 3’x7’ that said “Go DaJuan #38! Lock down” to cheer him on during practice. Katherine also mentioned that she and her brother Patrick attended Chiefs former Head Coach Herm Edwards' camp a few years ago. It was free for the first 1,000 fans from middle school through high school. Morgan was Katherine’s coach during the camp and afterwards, she sent him a letter thanking him for everything. In return, Morgan sent her a letter and one of his gloves with his autograph. “[Edwards] taught us about sportsmanship, integrity and respect, all things you should have in daily life,” stated Patrick. Sean added, “We are going to miss Herm, but we are excited for the new Chiefs sta

Hammock Parties
08-01-2009, 11:34 AM
Rookie WR Quinten Lawrence flashed his speed during the one-on-ones when he blew past CB Maurice Leggett on a deep post. Leggett is one of the fastest players on the team. QB Matt Cassel’s throw was too long for Lawrence to make the catch.

OMFG CASSEL SUCKS!!!!!!!111one

Smed1065
08-01-2009, 11:37 AM

Yes, He has the foot work, the work ethic, and the attitude.

But he is not a rookie.

Tribal Warfare
08-01-2009, 11:47 AM
Access Training Camp: Blog - The Fun Begins... (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2009/08/01/access_training_camp_blog__the_fun_begins/)
Aug 01, 2009, 8:11:17 AM by Josh Looney

Follow the Chiefs on Twitter! | Follow Josh too! - Photo Gallery - (updated)

POST-PRACTICE THOUGHTS

August 1st - 11:55 AM

Offensive Linemen To Be Back Soon: One cause for alarm during this morning’s practice session was the lack of active veteran offensive lineman (Waters, Mcintosh and Goff all worked out on the sidelines without pads). Coach Haley quickly distinguished fears of long-term problems during his post-practice press conference, saying that the linemen held out today will likely return to action in the short-term.

Watchful Eyes on Receivers: In the practice blog I observed that it seemed the wideouts had cut down on the amount of drops from previous camps. Even so, Coach Haley indicated that he would like to see fewer dropped balls during his post-practice press conference. This is a position group that Haley previously coached and it is already evident that Haley will hold this position group to a high standard.

AM PRACTICE OBSERVATIONS

August 1st - 8:50 AM

We’re underway here on the practice fields at UWRF. Full pads on the first day! Coach Haley means business.

9:03 AM - Some notables from pre-practice:

* QB Brodie Croyle is in full pads for the first time since injuring his left knee last season
* List of those not practicing: LB Demorrio Williams, G Brian Waters, RB Kolby Smith, T Damion McIntosh, G Mike Goff, DE Dion Gales, DT Ron Edwards, DT Glenn Dorsey
* No Chiefs decals on the helmets

9:10 - TE Jake O’Connell is also out of action this morning

9:18 - Pre-practice has concluded and stretching has begun. The weight loss over the off-season with this squad is quite apparent now that the guys are in full pads.

9:29 - The offense opened up, as usual, by running plays “on air.” Not very noteworthy…except for the fact that the linemen were pushing a five-man sled 5-10 yards on each snap (with three coaches riding).

9:41 - A product of the new regime/new defensive scheme…linebackers are split during position drills into inside/outside posts. In past years, linebackers worked out together regardless of their alignment.

9:53 - More new twists to the practice regimine…Inside run drills (QBs, RBs, OL, DL, LBs) were conducted in a rapid-fire format. Three seperate groups all in action, one right after the other.

9:54 - While the big boys worked on inside run, the WRs worked with the DBs on downfield blocking/shedding blockers and open field tackling/pursuit.

10:03 - Rookie WR Taurus Johnson had a nice acrobatic grab down the left sideline during one-on-one drills. During the same drills, WR Mark Bradley displayed soft hands on a number of looks, extending his hands and catching the ball away from his body.

10:05 - The pads were popping on 8-vs-8 drills (full squad except DBs and WRs). Even though the guys weren’t going in “full contact,” it was plenty close to the real deal.

10:27 - 7-on-7 drills have come to a close…seems to me like there were less drops than a year ago, that’s encouraging on the first practice of camp. LB Weston Dacus made a pair of nice plays, picking off a pass across the middle and logging a PBU just a few plays following the INT.

10:30 - I can’t stress enough how different these practices are to watch than what fans visiting River Falls are accustomed to.

10:33 - 11-v-11 to close things out and then we’ll go and hear from the head coach.

10:58 - Time to see what Coach Haley thought…more soon!

August 1st – 8:10 AM

NOW THE FUN BEGINS
Weights have been recorded and conditioning tests have been run…all the little things are out of the way. Today, football officially begins for the Chiefs in 2009. Two-a-days are here!

Today’s practice schedule calls for an AM session from 9:00 – 11:00 AM and a PM practice from 4:30 – 6:30 PM.

I’ll be updating you from the practice field throughout the morning and afternoon sessions…so keep checking this blog and kcchiefs.com for full coverage of training camp. The practice fields have been set up…all that’s left are the arrival of the player and coaching staff.

JD10367
08-01-2009, 11:55 AM

Dude. POSITIVE spin. Like this:

"- Rookie WR Quinten Lawrence flashed his speed during the one-on-ones when he blew past CB Maurice Leggett on a deep post. Leggett is one of the fastest players on the team. QB Matt Cassel’s throw was too long for Lawrence to make the catch."

OMFG CASSEL'S GOT SUCH A GUN HE CAN OUT-THROW THE FASTEST GUY ON THE TEAM!!1!1!

(Actually, I'm only being semi-facetious here. Cassel does need to work on the deep ball accuracy, but for those who think the kid doesn't have an arm, they're wrong. Everyone in New England would say, "You can't overthrow Randy Moss", but Cassel did it a few times. Then again, Lawrence probably wasn't doggin' it, LOL...)

Tribal Warfare
08-01-2009, 01:23 PM
L.J.: “Hit Them Like A Bullet … Not A Tank” (http://www.bobgretz.com/chiefs-football/lj-hit-them-like-a-bullet-not-a-tank.html)
August 1, 2009 - Bob Gretz |

After spending nearly 30 minutes signing autographs for fans at the Chiefs first training camp practice, a smiling Larry Johnson took some time to talk.

L.J. is slim and trim and says he’s in the best football shape of his life. Todd Haley asked him to lose some weight and it’s obvious Johnson followed through. He said he was 223 Saturday morning and figures he’ll be at 220 by the time camp is over. Over his career with the Chiefs, Johnson has played at 230 to 235 pounds.

“I’m going to hit them like a bullet with some speed and not a tank,” Johnson said. “I really feel good and I do feel faster.”

He certainly looks faster and showed that speed during the morning workout. In a goal-line drill, Johnson was forced to run outside and he was able to beat the defense to the corner of the end zone. “I don’t want to get caught from behind anymore,” Johnson said with a smile. Against the Broncos last year, L.J. had a 65-yard run where he was caught from behind before he got into the end zone.

It’s his torso and upper body where Johnson is slimmer and trimmer. From the waist down, he’s still got the big powerful legs. “Nothing I can do about those … they came from my Dad,” Johnson said with a laugh.

More on L.J. coming tomorrow morning from River Falls.

Hammock Parties
08-01-2009, 01:24 PM
I am hard.

the Talking Can
08-01-2009, 01:34 PM
very curious to hear something from Morgan this year

and where's Mike Brown?

Mizzou_8541
08-01-2009, 01:51 PM
Dorsey failed...
http://chiefsblog.kansascity.com/?q=node/872

Man that is disappointing.

Skip Towne
08-01-2009, 01:55 PM
I am hard.

If it lasts for more than 4 hours, consult your physician.

Hammock Parties
08-01-2009, 01:56 PM
http://kan.scout.com/2/883832.html

Saturday, August 1, AM Practice - 9:00 - 11:00 AM.

It was a windy and slightly cold first practice for the Chiefs. With the temperature just over 60 degrees and cloudy skies, the fans who stood stationary as they watched the Chiefs work up a sweat were chilly. Still, they were in good spirits as they showcased their pride wearing Chiefs apparel and taking photos.

Eight players did not practice today after failing to pass a part of their physical examination. On defense, Glenn Dorsey (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4307441), Dion Gales (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4416102), Ron Edwards (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4307442) and Demorrio Williams (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4307571) worked out with assistant strength and conditioning coach Brent Salazar. On offense, it was Damion McIntosh (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4307539), Brian Waters (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4307563), Mike Goff (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4307449) and Kolby Smith (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4307550). Smith and Edwards have suffered ongoing injuries throughout the offseason.

The players worked on their conditioning in front of the fans. They were instructed to do line drills with weights and ride stationary bikes.

With media members more restricted in roaming range than in past years, the view of practice was lacking. As eighty players scrambled on the field, watching from afar made getting details difficult.

The players wore pads, but drills were not run at full speed and hitting was as far as it went. No tackling occurred.

Kicker Ryan Succop (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4416113) worked on his steps and timing his kicks as the offensive line worked on staying low and planting for the block without defenders. Succop hit seven of eight field goal attempts. His attempt from the 20-yard line, from the left hash mark, was blocked by cornerback Brandon Flowers (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4307445) and recovered by safety Jarrad Page (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4307542). His longest kick came from 40 yards out from the left hash.

Quarterback Matt Cassel (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4210794) took reps with the first-string offense. Tyler Thigpen (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4307555) came out with the second string and Brodie Croyle (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4307425) with the third during an 8-on-7 (eight defenders, seven on offense) drill. Thigpen had one interception and one knockdown during the drill. Cassel and Croyle completed every pass.

The quarterbacks threw during a drill that paired one cornerback or safety against one wide receiver. Rookie receiver Taurus Johnson (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4416108) had a nice-one handed grab for a 40-yard gain up the left sideline from Croyle.

Agility was the theme for the defense. Ends, tackles and linebackers were run through a series of drills using barriers and cones that stressed lifting their feet off the ground and maneuvering over and around stand-in offensive linemen to make the tackle. Cornerbacks and safeties worked on their responsibilities, running through different schemes while keeping their opponent in front of them and avoiding separation.

A majority of the practice was spent running position-specific drills. Coaches were vocal and the team practiced up tempo. An 11-on-11 drill was run on the middle of three practice fields. A barrier of players and the distant spots for viewing the drill from the provided bleachers kept fans and media members from viewing the drill with clarity.

At the conclusion of practice multiple players spent extra time out on the field honing their receiving and blocking skills.

River Falls Recap: 7/31 (http://kan.scout.com/2/883591.html)

Skip Towne
08-01-2009, 02:06 PM
So says some random girl.

the Talking Can
08-01-2009, 02:06 PM
fyi, Tavaris Jackson went down with a strained MCL in Vikings camp today......

Titty Meat
08-01-2009, 02:52 PM
fyi, Tavaris Jackson went down with a strained MCL in Vikings camp today......

Thigpen for a 2nd pick!

Hammock Parties
08-01-2009, 02:55 PM
Thigpen for a 2nd pick!

If we trade Thigpen for a 2nd, replacing the 2nd that we gave up for Cassel.....PIOLI JIZZFEST

The Bad Guy
08-01-2009, 02:55 PM
Can we get this stickied?

SAUTO
08-01-2009, 02:57 PM
FYI gretz says DJ left practice due to what looked like a hamstring injury

Hammock Parties
08-01-2009, 02:58 PM
FYI gretz says DJ left practice due to what looked like a hamstring injury

babb said it was a tight quad

JD10367
08-01-2009, 02:58 PM

After GoChiefs said "I'm hard" and then said "jizzfest", this comment makes me :shake:

SAUTO
08-01-2009, 02:59 PM
babb said it was a tight quad

could be, gretz did say "it looked as though" so....

sportsman1
08-01-2009, 03:00 PM
Can we trade Croyle for a bag of balls, maybe?

Mecca
08-01-2009, 03:00 PM
There's no guarantee that Jackson would even be their starter...

Hammock Parties
08-01-2009, 03:01 PM
Follow Babb on twitter, he's hilarious.

http://www.kansascity.com/160/story/1356952.html

Make no mistake: I love my fellow reporters. But the fellow inhaling his sub to the point of labored breathing is a little much for me. August 1st, 2009 @ 1:40 pm

SAUTO
08-01-2009, 03:04 PM
Follow Babb on twitter, he's hilarious.

http://www.kansascity.com/160/story/1356952.html

i'm no tweeter thats for sure, some of that shit doesnt make much sense.

Titty Meat
08-01-2009, 03:08 PM

Then he must really suck

DaWolf
08-01-2009, 03:32 PM

How does one sticky a thread?

LaChapelle
08-01-2009, 04:44 PM
I thought Savage was gone by the end of the season. Must not have been. Doesn't seem like this regime would bring back a Herm guy.

Colquitt is learning to run and not throw LMAO

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-01-2009, 05:19 PM
Haley says drops remain a problem -- and a point of emphasis

Chiefs coach Todd Haley said Saturday that Kansas City's wide receivers continue to drop far too many passes, and he said that's something the Chiefs just can't continue to do.

"That's something that we can't have," he said. "These guys have to mature, develop, and start to show signs that they're competitive players, probably here pretty quick.

"We had the whole offseason where we had some of that; now it's time to pick it up for sure."

Several receivers dropped easy passes during the Chiefs' morning practice session. Dwayne Bowe, who has been criticized many times for his occasionally unsure hands, dropped a tough one. Near the sideline, Bowe cut toward the inside and had to dive for a ball thrown toward the outside. The ball bounced off Bowe's hands, but the crowd at least applauded his effort.

Haley said the Chiefs' expected Nos. 2 and 3 receivers, Mark Bradley and Bobby Engram, have a chance to be solid players with some work.

Submitted by Kent Babb on August 1, 2009 - 12:25pm.

Hammock Parties
08-01-2009, 05:21 PM
CRACK THAT WHIP

FUMBLE. The ENTIRE team is penalized wth a 200-yard run. Accountability is being preached during each session.
Jamaal Charles (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/34464/Jamaal_Charles) is the one that let the ball get loose.

Hydrae
08-01-2009, 05:23 PM

Has to be done by a mod I do believe.

okiedokieokoye
08-01-2009, 05:25 PM
You guys are too quick to jump on the dorsey bust bandwagon. Let the guy play. He was a beast coming out of LSU and I don't remember being so excited about a Chiefs draft pick in quite a long time. Together will TJ, that defensive line is going to be better than anticipated. Oh, and Brodie Croyle will start the season as our second qb. He's fragile, but he can play circles around Thiggie. Mark my words. Mark them. Now!

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-01-2009, 05:45 PM
You guys are too quick to jump on the dorsey bust bandwagon. Let the guy play. He was a beast coming out of LSU and I don't remember being so excited about a Chiefs draft pick in quite a long time. Together will TJ, that defensive line is going to be better than anticipated. Oh, and Brodie Croyle will start the season as our second qb. He's fragile, but he can play circles around Thiggie. Mark my words. Mark them. Now!

I have a bridge for sale in New York. Interested?

DaWolf
08-01-2009, 05:51 PM
Jamaal Charles (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/34464/Jamaal_Charles) is the one that let the ball get loose.

This is why Jamaal will never be an every down player. You put the ball on the ground, good luck seeing the field, and Jamaal continues to have fumble issues...

Hammock Parties
08-01-2009, 05:52 PM
This is why Jamaal will never be an every down player.

http://media.kansascity.com/smedia/2009/08/01/15/933-CHIEFSCAMP_SP_080109_DRE_1035f.standalone.prod_affiliate.81.jpg

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-01-2009, 06:01 PM
Dear God...

Basileus777
08-01-2009, 06:07 PM
I have a bridge for sale in New York. Interested?

It's Tyler Thigpen, it's not exactly hard to outplay him.

HemiEd
08-01-2009, 06:08 PM

I don't think they signed Sage Rosenfels because they like how T.J. was working out.
They love Sage, but they might sign Vick.

HemiEd
08-01-2009, 06:10 PM

First you have to posess some stickem.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-01-2009, 06:10 PM
It's Tyler Thigpen, it's not exactly hard to outplay him.

It is if you're Brokie Croyle. Have you ever seen Brokie's college reel? He should have never been signed to this franchise. He's slow as molasses in the pocket, and he was a walking ICU-case before he ever entered the pro's.

Epic and Colossal Herm FAIL.

Basileus777
08-01-2009, 06:11 PM

Go badger DaFace.

Hammock Parties
08-01-2009, 06:32 PM
Cassel intercepted.

BUST

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-01-2009, 06:35 PM
Cassel intercepted.

BUST

You know my boy gonna' get him again before camp breaks!:evil: Messed up his two-minute drill REAL good back in OTA's, yes?:evil:

Pioli Zombie
08-01-2009, 06:42 PM
Bowe's woman threw him a surprise party for his birthday. He dropped it.
Posted via Mobile Device

the Talking Can
08-01-2009, 06:47 PM
It was also a tough afternoon for QB Brodie Croyle, especially in the team’s 7-on-7 passing drill.

The odds in this drill favor the offense, but Croyle showed the rustiness of not having played and practice since last October. His first pass was intercepted by LB Monty Beisel. Croyle connected with FB Mike Cox on his second throw, but held the ball too long, drawing a loud verbal warning from the head coach. His third pass was incomplete, Croyle had to pull the ball down with nobody open on his fourth snap and WR Terrance Copper dropped his fifth throw. Croyle over threw WR Quinten Lawrence on his sixth toss, but then hit WR Jeff Webb and RB Jamaal Charles before overthrowing Webb again. That’s nine passes, only three completed with an interception.

In the same drill, Matt Cassell hit seven of nine, but did throw an interception when FS Jarrad Page picked off the pass. The QB who looked the best in the drill was Tyler Thigpen, who went five of six and the only miss was a drop by WR Taurus Johnson.

http://www.bobgretz.com/chiefs-football/camp-practice-update-81-pm.html

the Talking Can
08-01-2009, 06:48 PM
The RBs worked on picking up blitzing linebackers and things did not go well, as they lost most of the battles. It started with the first snap when OLB Mike Vrabel blew past RB Larry Johnson. From that point forward, the defense won nearly every snap. FB Mike Cox did a good job with a late rep against Vrabel, but the Chiefs backs had some problems in the drill.

http://www.bobgretz.com/chiefs-football/camp-practice-update-81-pm.html

PastorMikH
08-01-2009, 07:13 PM

Croyle may be the #2 coming out of camp. But if the pressure is hot enough that Cassel gets hurt, I'd be willing to bet Brodie gets hurt in the same game.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-01-2009, 07:14 PM
New footage up at Chiefs.com:

Tomorrow; Defense!

Hammock Parties
08-01-2009, 07:47 PM
The Chiefs first-team receivers are lining up with Dwayne Bowe and Devard Darling, and Brad Cottam at tight end. When they got to three receivers, Bobby Engram comes in and replaces the fullback in the offensive set.

TO THE MOTHERFUCKIN' 'SHIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hammock Parties
08-01-2009, 08:02 PM
Hali and Tank getting pancaked. Lovely.

During a drill involving both offensive and defensive linemen, center Eric Ghiaciuc pushed defensive tackle Tank Tyler over. The crowd, including both offensive and defensive players, let out some “oooh’s” after the play. Ghiaciuc offered to help Tyler up, but Tyler declined the hand and sprinted back to complete the drill.

The offfensive line was looking strong again when tackle Cameron Goldberg knocked linebacker Tamba Hali over pretty handedly. Hali got back up and continued to battle toward the “quarterback.”This is WOOD INDUCING.

Running back Jamaal Charles coughed up the first fumble of training camp during 11-on-11. This seemed to make Head Coach Todd Haley irate. Haley made the entire team take a jog. When they returned from their jog, Haley said, “We don’t go through the motions! If you want to go through the motions you’ll be (freaking) 2-14 again!” to some defensive players as they jogged by.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-01-2009, 08:10 PM
Hali and Tank getting pancaked. Lovely.

This is WOOD INDUCING.

That's sweet.

Until I hear otherwise, BP caused that fumble.:p:evil:

Gadzooks
08-01-2009, 08:11 PM
That's sweet.

Until I hear otherwise, BP caused that fumble.:p:evil:

I agree, sweet.

Sully
08-01-2009, 08:28 PM
I like the accountability and all, but the 200yard runs are high school stuff.

Hammock Parties
08-01-2009, 08:28 PM
I like the accountability and all, but the 200yard runs are high school stuff.

Screw that. Jamaal Charles won't soon forget his fumble.

Sully
08-01-2009, 08:39 PM
It may sound like a great idea to us. But I don't know that it will work on grown men. It barely work in pop warner.

Hammock Parties
08-01-2009, 08:41 PM
It may sound like a great idea to us. But I don't know that it will work on grown men. It barely work in pop warner.

Do you really think those guys aren't gonna hustle their ass off the next time there's a fumble if they know a 200-yard gasser is in their future otherwise?

Skip Towne
08-01-2009, 08:46 PM

It worked on GoChiefs.

Hammock Parties
08-01-2009, 08:50 PM
It worked on GoChiefs.

Yup. I don't want to be 2-14 again. I'm gonna go run my ass off on the treadmill. I am INSPIRED.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-01-2009, 08:51 PM
Yup. I don't want to be 2-14 again. I'm gonna go run my ass off on the treadmill. I am INSPIRED.

The last time I looked, you were 1-3.

Hammock Parties
08-01-2009, 10:13 PM
The last time I looked, you were 1-3.

WHAT?

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-01-2009, 10:18 PM
TWAT?

:evil:

Mecca
08-01-2009, 10:21 PM
It depends on the player but generally speaking the 200 yard run stuff will have a professional football player rolling his eyes.

Hammock Parties
08-01-2009, 10:24 PM
Mitch Holthus talks like a fourth grader on his twitter. Hilarious.

http://twitter.com/mitchholthus

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-01-2009, 10:39 PM
Mitch Holthus talks like a fourth grader on his twitter. Hilarious.

http://twitter.com/mitchholthus

And who's the first player on Mitch's Twitter to get name-recognition upon commencement of camp you ask?

Am I one of the few that Bernard Pollard could be a Larry Izzo type Pro Bowl special teams guy? He showed some signs again today.about 11 hours ago (http://twitter.com/mitchholthus/status/3072721457) from TwitterBerry (http://orangatame.com/products/twitterberry/)

EAT IT!

Mecca
08-01-2009, 10:40 PM
That's nice that he's good at special teams but that isn't going to mean alot if he sucks ass as a safety and is starting.

Hammock Parties
08-01-2009, 10:42 PM
And who's the first player on Mitch's Twitter to get name-recognition upon commencement of camp you ask?

EAT IT!

I've never said Pollard couldn't be a GREAT special teams player.

But that's just it. That's what he is.

SAVE US MIKE BROWN!

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-01-2009, 10:48 PM
I've never said Pollard couldn't be a GREAT special teams player.

But that's just it. That's what he is.

SAVE US MIKE BROWN!

There's a misquote in that article that was posted earlier. The first version I read asked Page how he felt about the competition with Mike Brown, not Pollard.

Hammock Parties
08-01-2009, 10:54 PM
I'll bet you $100 RIGHT NOW Page is a starting safety.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-01-2009, 10:59 PM
I'll bet you $100 RIGHT NOW Page is a starting safety.

Man, why don't you do us ALL a favor and take that $100.00 and go get yo'self a Ho.
Ho's is cheap in Houston; get two!

Hammock Parties
08-01-2009, 11:02 PM
Man, why don't you do us ALL a favor and take that $100.00 and go get yo'self a Ho.
Ho's is cheap in Houston; get two!

Hos are NOT cheap in Houston.

For $100 I'll save myself the guilt and the shower ala Casino Royale scene and just jerk off instead of fucking some nasty-ass tramp with cellulite.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-01-2009, 11:05 PM
Hos are NOT cheap in Houston.

For $100 I'll save myself the guilt and the shower ala Casino Royale scene and just jerk off instead of fucking some nasty-ass tramp with cellulite.

LMAO

Playa-hata'.

tk13
08-01-2009, 11:18 PM
It depends on the player but generally speaking the 200 yard run stuff will have a professional football player rolling his eyes.
Haha really? Never would've thought that! Of course it sucks. It's training camp. If this is the worst thing these guys have to do then Haley's letting them off soft. This really isn't that extreme.

Belichick once made the Pats run a 600 yard sprint after a preseason game. And he's probably done worse than that. Conditioning drills, all that jazz. Haley's going to do plenty of this stuff to weed out the guys who will get with the program and those who won't. I'm not a big fan of the "tough guy" coach crap at all but really we're a 2 win team, sprints aren't going to kill anyone.

RustShack
08-01-2009, 11:57 PM
Haha really? Never would've thought that! Of course it sucks. It's training camp. If this is the worst thing these guys have to do then Haley's letting them off soft. This really isn't that extreme.

Belichick once made the Pats run a 600 yard sprint after a preseason game. And he's probably done worse than that. Conditioning drills, all that jazz. Haley's going to do plenty of this stuff to weed out the guys who will get with the program and those who won't. I'm not a big fan of the "tough guy" coach crap at all but really we're a 2 win team, sprints aren't going to kill anyone.

Actually as poor as our team is, the sprints might kill them ROFL

BryanBusby
08-02-2009, 12:19 AM
Smell like my grandpas fish bait box...probably ought to shower.

So apparently Mitch smells like a dirty vagina.

Shag
08-02-2009, 01:08 PM
FYI - at TC right now, and Waters and Goff both started practice with the 1st team offense...

ncCHIEFfan
08-02-2009, 01:38 PM
Good deal! Thanks for the heads-up

the Talking Can
08-02-2009, 01:49 PM
FYI - at TC right now, and Waters and Goff both started practice with the 1st team offense...

further proof that haley is an asshole

Hammock Parties
08-02-2009, 02:40 PM

Larry gonna BUST OUT!

Shag
08-02-2009, 02:46 PM
7v9 drills. Cottom drops one, then Bowe drops one. Haley stops play, demands a new receiver in Bowe's spot, and yells "I want guys who will catch the ball, not put the ball on the ground every other play! I don't care who you are!". Crowd cheers.

Titty Meat
08-02-2009, 03:02 PM
7v9 drills. Cottom drops one, then Bowe drops one. Haley stops play, demands a new receiver in Bowe's spot, and yells "I want guys who will catch the ball, not put the ball on the ground every other play! I don't care who you are!". Crowd cheers.

LMAO. Fuck you Herm, Chiefs fans will love Haley.

Hammock Parties
08-02-2009, 03:08 PM
Biatch!

Chiefs (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/page/KC) G (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/tag/OG) Brian Waters (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/146550) struggled in pass protection against NT (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/tag/NG) Tank Tyler (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/427188).

LJ: off to practice number 2!!!!! feet hurt like kunta kentae before he gottm choppd!!!

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-02-2009, 03:44 PM

:bravo:
http://www.stud.tu-ilmenau.de/%7Echba-mt/Bilder/smiley.jpg

milkman
08-02-2009, 03:57 PM

Which begs the question, who was at RT?

Hammock Parties
08-02-2009, 04:03 PM
http://i29.tinypic.com/mx2fqa.gif

Shag
08-02-2009, 04:48 PM
Which begs the question, who was at RT?

Taylor. Sackintosh was still on the PUP field running/biking/etc...

LaChapelle
08-02-2009, 04:58 PM
Maybe McIntosh got some shin transplants. Those twigs can't hold up that load.

LaChapelle
08-02-2009, 09:49 PM
Much to the amusement of the fans around the east field, the quarterbacks were throwing, on the run, to a target with three nets sitting the near corner of the endzone. Matt Cassel was up first, and he drilled the middle of the three targets and pumped his fist as he ran back. Offensive Coordinator Chan Gailey laughed and yelled over, “You trying to hit the middle one?” to which Cassel never responded. The next two quarterbacks Tyler Thigpen and Brodie Croyle both drilled the middle target, putting a lot of pressure on Ingle Martin. Martin responded and hit the left-side target. Croyle ended the drill 3-4, which was tops out of the four quarterbacks.

http://www.uwrf.edu/chiefs/prev_updates.php?page=2&Files=090802pm.htm

Hammock Parties
08-02-2009, 09:51 PM
Cassel's a bit of a clown.

wasi
08-03-2009, 08:55 AM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2009/08/03/access_training_camp_blog__in_or_out/

AM PRACTICE OBSERVATIONS

August 3rd - 8:59 AM

Some nice work by grounds guru Andre Bruce to get the fields in good condition this AM. Full pads for the third consecutive AM. Of note: LB Derrick Johnson and T Damion McIntosh return - both are taking first team reps during walk-thrus.

9:10 AM - Walk-thrus are complete and possibly Derrick Johnson’s day is as well? Following the walk-thru segment, Johnson trotted back over to strength coach Cedric Smith’s “rehab zone” on the NW corner of the practice fields. Johnson is the only member of that group wearing full pads.

9:14 AM - TE Brad Cottam is being held out this AM as well.

9:25 AM - Position drills have begun and it looks as if TEs Sean Ryan and Tom Crabtree will have their work cut out for them. Of the five TEs in camp, Ryan and Crabtree are the only two active this AM (TE Jake O’Connell remains out, Cottam is in the “rehab zone” and TE Tony Curtis remains unseen - he seemed to be going a bit slower at the end of yesterday’s practice). FB Jed Collins has some NFL experience at TE and will likely lend a helping hand with that group today.

Tribal Warfare
08-03-2009, 11:06 AM
Camp Practice Update 8/3 A.M. (http://www.bobgretz.com/chiefs-football/camp-practice-update-83-am.html)
August 3, 2009 - Bob Gretz |

It was the fourth practice in three days for the Chiefs and Todd Haley was happy with how his team fought through the sore muscles.

“This is generally when everybody is a little bit sore and everybody is feeling a little bit sorry for themselves, but I thought we pushed through OK,” Haley said. “This afternoon will be very telling about how we are doing.”

The morning workout was in full pads and at times got very physical, especially in those segments where the Chiefs worked on the running game. The offensive coaching staff now has a guy who might be as loud as defensive line coach Tim Krumrie, and that’s offensive line coach Bill Muir.

RT Damion McIntosh returned to work and Muir had several barbs pointed in his direction. Same for rookie free agent LT Cameron Goldberg out of Duke.

Haley continued to be demanding of his players, jumping all over RB Jackie Battle when he allowed the ball to be knocked out of his hands. This came after the play was over and Battle was going back to the huddle. Haley didn’t care. “You’ve got to protect the ball all the way back to the huddle offensive guys,” the coach yelled.

McIntosh was back from the NFI List, leaving only LB Demorrio Williams still on that list. Haley would not address the absence of TEs Brad Cottam and Tony Curtis. “I’ll only talk about the players who are practicing,” Haley said. No word yet on why this duo was not on the field for the workout. They were not with the rehab team as well.

More notes and observations from the morning practice:

- K Ryan Succop was three for four on his FG attempts. His first try hit the left upright from 35 yards. He then made kicks of 30, 42 and 44 yards. The long snapper for all four kicks was Tanner Purdum.

- With Cottam and Curtis out, and rookie Jake O’Connell still on the PUP List and working with the rehab team, that left just two tight ends available: Sean Ryan and rookie Tom Crabtree. FB Jed Collins moved to tight end for part of the practice to work with the group.

- Ryan got most of the snaps with the No. 1 offense and took advantage of his opportunities. He made a very nice catch over his head and down the field when QB Matt Cassel was flushed from the pocket and throwing on the run.

Tribal Warfare
08-03-2009, 11:10 AM
Whether it's about conditioning or humiliation, Dorsey remains in the doghouse (http://chiefsblog.kansascity.com/?q=node/885)

Chiefs defensive end Glenn Dorsey hasn't yet touched the practice field, although he has seen all of his previously out-of-shape teammates leave him on the PUP list and head toward team drills.

Dorsey is one of at least five regulars who failed Friday's conditioning test. Dorsey remains, and that's not a good sign for a second-year defender with a fat contract and reportedly still within grasp of his enormous potential. But he's useless to the Chiefs in conditioning purgatory, and coach Todd Haley isn't letting up on the guy.

"I’m a selfish coach," Haley said. "If you’re not on the field practicing, you can’t help me do my job."

As long as we're talking about work, let's discuss the grind that Dorsey is undergoing. He's spending time on sprints and the stationary bike, but I can't help but think that some of the exercises he's doing aren't more for continued humiliation of the one player who can't seem to get in shape.

Dorsey continues to spend his hours pulling, pushing, dragging and moving. Yesterday, he and Damion McIntosh took turns walking the length of the field either holding a barbell above their heads or hugging a 45-pound plate. On Monday, Haley apparently had Dorsey practice his fishing technique, lying on his back and dragging a blocking dummy in short bursts until it had reached him. Dorsey would finish his odd assignment, stand there bewildered for a few moments, then walk off to do something else.

This is the football equivalent of being confined to the stocks, an embarrassing punishment while everyone else watches.

In an ironic and cruel twist Monday, the Oscar-Meyer Wienermobile parked less than 50 yards from Dorsey's conditioning zone.

Hammock Parties
08-03-2009, 11:14 AM
In an ironic and cruel twist Monday, the Oscar-Meyer Wienermobile parked less than 50 yards from Dorsey's conditioning zone.

I knew Babb wrote this as soon as I read this part. ROFL

LaChapelle
08-03-2009, 11:14 AM
flushed from the pocket? I find nothing at wiki :shrug:

Mecca
08-03-2009, 11:15 AM
We probably should have just traded Dorsey.

Hammock Parties
08-03-2009, 11:16 AM
We probably should have just traded Dorsey.

They tried to.

Mecca
08-03-2009, 11:18 AM
They tried to.

And there was nothing really?

That surprises me I figured a team like Buffalo would have offered something atleast solid for him.

Tribal Warfare
08-03-2009, 11:26 AM

August 3 10:58 ET

With the <a href="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/page/KC">Chiefs</a> down to two <a href="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/tag/TE">TE</a>s, <a href="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/493045">Sean Ryan</a> is taking advantage of the opportunity. He had a nice catch on a play where <a href="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/tag/QB">QB</a> <a href="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/552470">Matt Cassel</a> was flushed from the pocket.
With the Chiefs down to two TEs, Sean Ryan is taking advantage of the opportunity. He had a nice catch on a play where QB Matt Cassel was flushed from the pocket.

August 3 10:55 ET

<a href="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/page/KC">Chiefs</a> <a href="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/tag/Rookie">rookie</a> <a href="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/tag/LB">LB</a> <a href="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1675829">Jovan Belcher</a> is showing a strong pass rush. On one play, he knocked over <a href="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/tag/OT">RT</a> <a href="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/187597">Damion McIntosh</a>.
Chiefs rookie LB Jovan Belcher is showing a strong pass rush. On one play, he knocked over RT Damion McIntosh.

August 3 10:47 ET

<a href="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/tag/K">K</a> <a href="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1674148">Ryan Succop</a> was 3 of 4 on FGs in <a href="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/page/KC">Chiefs</a> practice, hitting the left upright from 35 yards and making kicks from 39, 42 and 44 yards.
K Ryan Succop was 3 of 4 on FGs in Chiefs practice, hitting the left upright from 35 yards and making kicks from 39, 42 and 44 yards.

August 3 10:42 ET

In a running game drill, <a href="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/tag/OLB">OLB</a> <a href="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/412000">Tamba Hali</a> leveled pulling guard <a href="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/12399">Mike Goff</a>. The collision could be heard on all three practice fields.
In a running game drill, OLB Tamba Hali leveled pulling guard Mike Goff. The collision could be heard on all three practice fields.

August 3 10:40 ET

After <a href="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/page/KC">Chiefs</a> <a href="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/tag/OT">LT</a> <a href="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1243029">Branden Albert</a> jumped offsides in a drill, he was yanked from the line and sent on a punishment run. <a href="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/502346">Barry Richardson</a> replaced him.<br /><br /><br />
After Chiefs LT Branden Albert jumped offsides in a drill, he was yanked from the line and sent on a punishment run. Barry Richardson replaced him.

Hammock Parties
08-03-2009, 11:27 AM
After Chiefs LT Branden Albert jumped offsides in a drill, he was yanked from the line and sent on a punishment run. Barry Richardson replaced him.

Holy FUCK.

http://i26.tinypic.com/2gy56ag.gif

Coach
08-03-2009, 11:31 AM
And there was nothing really?

That surprises me I figured a team like Buffalo would have offered something atleast solid for him.

Can't trade a player if the player is injured, which was "allegedly" was the case under Dorsey during the time.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-03-2009, 11:33 AM
No favorites being played here. "What can you do for me today"-said Haley.

Full approval of this method.

the Talking Can
08-03-2009, 11:42 AM
Whether it's about conditioning or humiliation, Dorsey remains in the doghouse (http://chiefsblog.kansascity.com/?q=node/885)

On Monday, Haley apparently had Dorsey practice his fishing technique, lying on his back and dragging a blocking dummy in short bursts until it had reached him. Dorsey would finish his odd assignment, stand there bewildered for a few moments, then walk off to do something else.

freakin hilarious

JD10367
08-03-2009, 11:46 AM
Tough love. Young NFL players, like children, don't need their coaches (or parents) to be "best buddies", they need to be shown who the Alpha Dog in the relationship is. This will either make Dorsey a better player quicker, or it'll break him--in which case, better to find out now than later what kind of a guy you've got on your hands.

Chiefnj2
08-03-2009, 11:49 AM
From the UWRF:
"The Chiefs staff held a closed tryout after morning practice today. Media members were not allowed to enter the Ramer Field complex where the tryouts were taking place, but one player was seen passing balls, three players receiving balls and at least two linemen practicing drills. None of the players trying out were in pads. Team security turned away anyone who attempted to watch the tryouts from a distance, obviously trying to keep the identities of the players involved a secret."

Michael Vick is in da house.

Tribal Warfare
08-03-2009, 11:49 AM
Sunday, August 2: Morning Practice (http://www.uwrf.edu/chiefs/prev_updates.php?page=2&Files=090803am.htm)

Extra, extra...

At 9:15 a.m. the horn went off, and the team met on field 2 for warm-ups and stretching. While the team was doing arm circle stretches, quarterback Matt Cassel and wide receiver Quinten Lawrence started the slow clap. The trend was short-lived, but it got a couple laughs out of the players.

While their teammates ran drills during practice, tight end Brad Cottam, running back Kolby Smith and linebacker Demorrio Williams were laying on the ground of field 3, pulling the giant cone-shaped dummies, that were fastened with a rope, 15 yards.

The team began cool-down stretches at 10:50 a.m.

The defensive backs took their turn signing autographs for excited fans after practice this morning. Cornerbacks Brandon Carr, Donald Washington, Travis Daniels and Ricardo Colclough and safeties Bernard Pollard, Mike Brown and Jarrad Page were a few of the players present during the signing period.

The Chiefs staff held a closed tryout after morning practice today. Media members were not allowed to enter the Ramer Field complex where the tryouts were taking place, but one player was seen passing balls, three players receiving balls and at least two linemen practicing drills. None of the players trying out were in pads. Team security turned away anyone who attempted to watch the tryouts from a distance, obviously trying to keep the identities of the players involved a secret.

Fans

Bennie Dick of Goddard, Kan. spoke with UWRF reporters today. “This camp is awesome! I really like (Head Coach) Todd Haley because he gets on these guys and yells a lot.” When asked about what his favorite part of camp was, Dick said that he enjoyed watching his favorite team while relaxing on the sidelines and getting to be so close to the players. “This is my second year here. I was here in 2006,” Dick explained. “I also took a picture with (running back) Larry Johnson at the CBE (College Basketball Experience) Tournament in Kansas City a while back, and he signed it for me here at camp!”

Aaron Taylor of River Falls watched in awe today as the Chiefs offense and defense ran full-contact drills. “This is sweet!” Taylor exclaimed. “I love watching the full-contact drills because it is amazing to see all these huge guys hitting each other.” Taylor is a member of the UWRF Student Senate Committee and isalso involved in the Theta Chi Fraternity on campus.

Kristin Glanz of Woodbury Minn. attended the early part of morning camp today. “This is my first time visiting Chiefs camp even though I’m a student at UWRF,” Glanz stated. “It’s pretty cool to see all of the people that come to cheer them on, all dressed in red.” A member of multiple student organizations on campus, Glanz brainstormed, “we need to get more UWRF students out here. The team most likely won’t be here next year, so we might not get this chance again.”

Special Teams

At the sound of the horn, the team got together (minus the linemen) to work on kickoff situations on field 2. The players worked 3-on-3 to read leverage and coverage. A coach would holler out, “Kick right. Return right,” changing the directions each time. The blockers were told to block “over the top,” and some players needed the drill explained more than once. Rookie wide receiver Quinten Lawrence and rookie linebacker Corey Smith recquired a little extra attention. Later, safety Bernard Pollard and wide receiver Jeff Webb didn’t “run over the top” a few times, and the coaching staff at the drill let them hear it.

While the team was split by position, the kicker Ryan Succop kicked balls off a tee between fields 2 and 3. Succop was kicking the ball toward the south end of the field to long snapper Tanner Purdum. Succop’s kicks were traveling from about the 45-yard line to the endzone.

Kicker Ryan Succop got four live kicks in today during the team’s field goal practice. His first kick from 39 yards away, hit the left upright and bounced back onto the field. Safety Bernard Pollard just about got to the kick from the left edge. Succop’s second attempt from 39 yards was drilled. Succop then knocked down kicks of 42 yards and 44 yards to end the session. On the 42-yard attempt, cornerback Brandon Carr was close to getting a hand on the ball .During the teams kickoff session, the returners taking the most reps were cornerbacks Maurice Leggett and Ricky Price and wide receivers Taurus Johnson and Rodney Wright.

Offense

The Jugs machines were once again firing at the beginning of practice. Drops have been a recurring problem in the first three practices.Today, there were four notable drops to report. Wide receivers Quinten Lawrence, Bobby Engram, Jeff Webb and Taurus Johnson each had drops during 1-0 drills. After Webb’s drop Head Coach Todd Haley yelled, “Catch the ball against air, please!”

Tackle Damion McIntosh was in full pads for the first time this season. McIntosh jumped right back in with the first-string. Head Coach Todd Haley commented later that is was good to have McIntosh back in pads. “He is working hard on his body,” Haley said. McIntosh had a huge pancake block of defensive end Alfonso Boone in 2-on-1 blocking.

Absent from practice were tight ends Brad Cottam and Tony Curtis. Head Coach Todd Haley was asked about their absences later. “I will only comment about the players that are practicing,” he said. Then Haley was asked whether either tight end was still on the roster, and he gave the same response.

Tight end Sean Ryan got some extra opportunities with the absences of Brad Cottam and Tony Curtis and made the most of it. Ryan made a spectacular, twisting sideline catch on a ball thrown by quarterback Matt Cassel. Head Coach Todd Haley commented on the catch later saying, “I thought that was a tremendous catch in traffic.”

Footwork drills seemed to be more prevalent today than in the last three practices. The quarterbacks and offensive line spent more time than usual working on footwork. The quarterbacks spent time taking snaps from center and working on different types of drops and handoff timing. The offensive line spent most of that session working on pulling in different directions and from different angles.

The offensive line and defensive front seven members were locked up in a 2-on-2 blocking drill. It was one of the most intense sessions of training camp thus far. The coaches were yelling, and the hitting was fierce. Head Coach Todd Haley yelled to get the drill started, “Lets go! Lets get woke up now!” The third group was slow getting the drill started, and quarterback Brodie Croyle got yelled at by Offensive Line Coach Bill Muir. “Quit wasting time! Call the god(dang) play!” he hollered. The third group continued to get some razzing. This time it was from Coach Haley. “You’re patty-caking over there.Come on, Bob (Tight End Coach Bob Bicknell). Get these guys off the ball. You’re the quietest group out here!”

The quarterbacks met on field 2 to throw balls at the target screen. Brodie Croyle was able to hit the middle target while rolling to his left one time. Croyle went 1-5 from the left. Tyler Thigpen went 0-5, and Matt Cassel went 0-3. Ingle Martin was able to hit the lower of the three targets, allowing him to go 1-5 from the left. Things were a little more positive looking when the quarterbacks moved to rolling to the right. Croyle hit the middle target twice, going 2-4. Thigpen continued to struggle from the right, going 0-4. Martin was able to hit both the upper and lower targets, finishing 2-3 from the right side. Cassel hit the middle target once, ending with a 1-5 record on the right.

During 7-on-7, quarterback Matt Cassel overthrew wide receiver Devard Darling due to the good coverage by cornerback Brandon Flowers. Cassel would later complete a pass to running back Larry Johnson for a small gain and another pass to wide receiver Bobby Engram who was quickly cleaned up by linebacker Zach Thomas. Safety Bernard Pollard would have had a huge tackle on running back Javarris Williams had the drill been being ran live. Quarterback Brodie Croyle threw a high ball to fullback Jed Collins, who was able to reach for the completion for a short gain. Later, however, Collins would let a nicely thrown Croyle pass soar right through his hands. Quarterback Tyler Thigpen threw a sideline pass to wide receiver Jeff Webb. Webb was able to get both feet down before falling out of bounds. Pollard was impressed, jumping up and down, hollering in excitement. Head Coach Todd Haley had seen the play as well, and said, “Good job, Webb.” to the four-year receiver. Rookie receiver Quinten Lawrence jumped offside, and a coach hollered, “Get him out of there!” Wide receiver Bobby Engram replaced Lawrence on the play. Cassel had a huge pass to wide receiver Mark Bradley, resulting in a 35 to 40-yard gain. Cassel’s next pass was a bit high to Darling, but the receiver was able to get some air and make the grab. A Croyle ball was almost picked off by linebacker Andy Studebaker. The ball went right through the hands of Studebaker, who cut off the receiver’s route. Studebaker was frustrated with himself, shouting obsceneties as he ran to the huddle. To end the 7-on-7 drill, Croyle had a completion to receiver Rodney Wright on the sideline.

During the team's 11-on-11 drill toward the end of practice, running back Jackie Battle had the ball knocked away from him after the whistle was blown. Head Coach Todd Haley screamed at Battle for the lack of focus. “Hold onto the football. You protect that thing all the way back to the huddle!” Haley shouted. Haley talked about the situation later in his press conference. “Those offensive guys have to protect the football at all times [like their life depends on it]. I am blowing the whistle for the defense.”

Defense

Before the official start of practice, the entire defensive squad was on the field, running various drills. The linebackers and defensive backs worked together on a drill that used five garbage bins to represent the offensive line. During the drill, Defensive Coordinator Clancy Pendergast called out linebacker Turk McBride on something he did incorrectly. McBride switched from defensive end to linebacker this season in order to accommodate the Chiefs new 3-4 defense. Pendergast and McBride spent a few minutes discussing the drill.

Linebacker Derrick Johnson was in full pads and practicing this morning after sitting out the last two practices. Johnson worked with the linebackers for a bit before heading over to the stationary bikes to work out with his teammates that weren’t suited up. Johnson wouldn’t return to practice with his team the remainder of the morning. Defensive end Glenn Dorsey and linebacker Demorrio Williams weren’t in pads and were not participating in practice again today. Neither player has participated in a practice yet.

Rookie defensive end Alex Magee continued to see time with the first-string, as he has been all of training camp thus far. Magee was the Chiefs 67th overall pick in the 2009 NFL Draft.

Defensive Line Coach Tim Krumrie sounded like he was losing his voice during the early drills of practice this morning. By mid-practice, Krumrie’s voice seemed to be almost full strength again as he hollered quite a bit at his defensive linemen throughout later drills.

While the defense was working together on a drill that practiced getting off the line of scrimmage, a Nerf football was used for snaps. Defensive Line Coach Tim Krumrie hollered, “Let’s get out head out of our (butt), and let’s go.” as some of the defensive linemen were getting pushed off the line of scrimmage. Later, Krumrie commented on the “good tempo” he was seeing from the entire defensive squad during the drill.

After warm-ups and stretches, the defensive got together as a collective squad and ran a few patterns over the padded hurdles. Defensive Coordinator Clancy Pendergast kept telling the defensive backs to make sure they “accelerate off,” and Defensive Line Coach Tim Krumrie kept telling the linemen to have “quick feet.” The defensive split after the hurdles. The defensive line hit on the stationary sled, and the linebackers worked on getting off the line of scrimmage, stuttering and then exploding. The defensive backs back-peddled and cut back up, practicing making interceptions.

While the defensive line worked on the single sled, Defensive Line Coach Tim Krumrie shouted, “Tattoo that son of a (gun), and snap his head back. Fly back his (butt)!” Krumrie seemed to be pretty intense during this morning’s practice. Defensive end Alex Magee was having a hard time knowing how to place his arms when they were pinning the single sled. Krumrie had the rookie hit the sled multiple times until he was satistifed with Magee’s performance.

While running through the cone-shaped dummies, Defensive Line Coach Tim Krumrie hollered, “Don’t frickin’ cruise. Stop cruising!” After the drill with the dummies, Krumrie had his men move to a new drill where they used a big, orange ball. The ball represented an offensive linemen. Krumrie would roll the ball to the them from both the left and the right, and the linemen would have to shove the ball back toward Krumrie and continue to accelerate off the yard line, representing the line of scrimmage.

The defensive line worked one-on-one against each other. One player was representing the offensive linemen, and the defensive player was trying to bust past the blocker, off the line of scrimmage. Defensive Line Coach Tim Krumrie was getting frustrated with the linemen when they weren’t keeping their elbows in. Defensive ends Alex Magee and Wallace Gilberry received the brunt of this frustration.

The defensive backs worked with the wide receivers on some one-on-one coverage of pass routes. After a while, the quarterbacks joined the backs and receivers to throw some balls on the routes. The last play of the drill was a highly praised interception by cornerback Brandon Flowers.

After a drill, linebacker Mike Vrabel, a 13-year veteran, was showing two-year linebacker Andy Studebaker how he should be using his arms during the drill. As the two walked away, joining the rest of the linebackers on field 1, Studebaker patted Vrabel on the back.

A session with the defensive lineman and the offensive lineman, running a 2-on-1 blocking drill was dominated by the defense. The stand-out of the drill was defensive end Alex Magee. Magee destroyed offensive linemen Mike Goff and Wade Smith on separate occasions. Linebackers Mike Vrabel and Tamba Hali were present for half the drill. Hali made an athletic move to shoot to the inside of Barry Richardson without being touched.

Hammock Parties
08-03-2009, 11:53 AM
Cassel’s next pass was a bit high to Darling, but the receiver was able to get some air and make the grab.

THAT'S MY BOY

Tribal Warfare
08-03-2009, 11:59 AM
More From Gretz (http://www.bobgretz.com/chiefs-football/camp-practice-update-83-am.html)

- In one of the running drills, OLB Tamba Hali came off the edge and his collision with pulling RG Mike Goff could be heard all t hew ay to the Twin Cities. Goff ended up on the ground.

- In the pass rush-protection drill, rookie LB Jovan Belcher went head-to-head with McIntosh and took two of the three snaps. On the third, he ran McIntosh over with a bull rush, with the veteran tackle landing on his behind. Impressive power from Belcher.

- In the one-on-one pass protection-rush, NT Tank Tyler and LB Brian Waters had a great battle for three snaps; neither one had the advantage … rookie DE Alex Magee had several nice rushes against Wade Smith, Darryl Harris and Goldberg; Magee beat Smith with the same move he beat him with in yesterday’s practice and he got Goldberg on a nice spin move … at RT Herb Taylor had a nice series against DE Wallace Gilberry, taking two of the three snaps and working the third to a draw … Hali ran around Richardson at one point, but the tackle came back to put in two nice snaps against the outside linebacker.

- Working as kickoff returners during the session were six p layers: Rodney Wright, Maurice Leggett, Taurus Johnson, Jackie Bates, Londen Fryar and Ricky Price.

- In his part of the team work, Cassel was six-for-six in throwing, including hitting that nice throw on the run to Ryan. Brodie Croyle got the snaps with the second-unit offense and hit two of three throws. The only incompletion was a pass to WR Rodney Wright that was broken up on a nice play by FS Jon McGraw. Tyler Thigpen was two for two on his three plays.

- Haley had the offense work two series of plays where they began 1st and 10 at their own 1-yard line. On the first play, Cassel went deep to WR Dwayne Bowe, but CB Brandon Flowers had nice coverage and broke up the play. When Croyle got his chance, he was able to move the offense out of the hole and got a first down.

Hammock Parties
08-03-2009, 12:00 PM
McIntosh got owned by a rookie free agent LAST year in camp, too.

Fuck that guy!

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-03-2009, 12:01 PM
The third group was slow getting the drill started, and quarterback Brodie Croyle got yelled at by Offensive Line Coach Bill Muir. “Quit wasting time! Call the god(dang) play!” he hollered. The third group continued to get some razzing. This time it was from Coach Haley. “You’re patty-caking over there.Come on, Bob (Tight End Coach Bob Bicknell). Get these guys off the ball. You’re the quietest group out here!”

ROFL Frickin' Brokie...

Hammock Parties
08-03-2009, 12:08 PM
ROFL Frickin' Brokie...

http://i26.tinypic.com/2gy56ag.gif

the Talking Can
08-03-2009, 12:17 PM
lots of good chatter about magee so far...

DaKCMan AP
08-03-2009, 12:24 PM

Chiefs defensive end Glenn Dorsey hasn't yet touched the practice field, although he has seen all of his previously out-of-shape teammates leave him on the PUP list and head toward team drills.

Dorsey is one of at least five regulars who failed Friday's conditioning test. Dorsey remains, and that's not a good sign for a second-year defender with a fat contract and reportedly still within grasp of his enormous potential. But he's useless to the Chiefs in conditioning purgatory, and coach Todd Haley isn't letting up on the guy.

"I’m a selfish coach," Haley said. "If you’re not on the field practicing, you can’t help me do my job."

As long as we're talking about work, let's discuss the grind that Dorsey is undergoing. He's spending time on sprints and the stationary bike, but I can't help but think that some of the exercises he's doing aren't more for continued humiliation of the one player who can't seem to get in shape.

Dorsey continues to spend his hours pulling, pushing, dragging and moving. Yesterday, he and Damion McIntosh took turns walking the length of the field either holding a barbell above their heads or hugging a 45-pound plate. On Monday, Haley apparently had Dorsey practice his fishing technique, lying on his back and dragging a blocking dummy in short bursts until it had reached him. Dorsey would finish his odd assignment, stand there bewildered for a few moments, then walk off to do something else.

This is the football equivalent of being confined to the stocks, an embarrassing punishment while everyone else watches.

Urban Meyer does similar things with his players and "The Pit".

It was just the introduction to Meyer’s way of bringing the team together. There were many more, such as early morning training sessions and midnight practices. There was place called the pit, for players who couldn’t practice for one reason or another.

Players quickly learned that conditioning drills in the pit were far worse than contact on the practice field.

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20070108/SPORTS/70108005?Title=Urban-Meyer-s-gritty-coaching-style-returns-Gators-to-title-game

In his first practices at Florida, Meyer introduced his new team to "The Pit" — where players would lug boulders up and down stadium steps while heavy steel chains covered their shoulders and chests.

http://www.calendarlive.com/orl-sportssec-bianchi-column-24072409jul24,0,192093.column

JD10367
08-03-2009, 12:27 PM
From the UWRF:
"The Chiefs staff held a closed tryout after morning practice today. Media members were not allowed to enter the Ramer Field complex where the tryouts were taking place, but one player was seen passing balls, three players receiving balls and at least two linemen practicing drills. None of the players trying out were in pads. Team security turned away anyone who attempted to watch the tryouts from a distance, obviously trying to keep the identities of the players involved a secret."

Michael Vick is in da house.

Pats just cut second-year LB Vince Redd. I wouldn't doubt it if he was one of the guys.

the Talking Can
08-03-2009, 12:34 PM
Bob Glauber (?), some nfl reporter on petro spent 10 minutes polishing Haley's knob....loves him, says he is the most like Parcells of any of parcell's "disciples"...convinced he'll win in KC..

just fyi....

TRR
08-03-2009, 01:11 PM
Cottam was held out today because of a slight ankle sprain in last nights practice...although it was more of a hurt ego IMO. He dropped a perfectly thrown ball last night on a seam route, and got up limping while getting an ear full from Haley...

Haley then watched Cottam getting his ankle taped a bit later and yelled "that's your life story Cottam!". "That's your life story!".
Posted via Mobile Device

Hammock Parties
08-03-2009, 01:14 PM
Wow...Haley being a bit of a jerk.

the Talking Can
08-03-2009, 01:19 PM
Wow...Haley being a bit of a jerk.

he's being parcells, for better or worse....constant mind ****

being injured will get you cut.....

this is exactly what the guy on the radio was talking about...haley is in your face about it, no discrete comments or distant glares

Titty Meat
08-03-2009, 01:25 PM
More From Gretz (http://www.bobgretz.com/chiefs-football/camp-practice-update-83-am.html)

- In one of the running drills, OLB Tamba Hali came off the edge and his collision with pulling RG Mike Goff could be heard all t hew ay to the Twin Cities. Goff ended up on the ground.

WHAT?

Tiger's Fan
08-03-2009, 01:27 PM
he's being parcells, for better or worse....constant mind ****

being injured will get you cut.....

And being soft will get you injured. This roster needs to be broken down and completely rebuilt with mental toughness.

Herm was the personification of pussification.

JD10367
08-03-2009, 01:29 PM
And being soft will get you injured. This roster needs to be broken down and completely rebuilt with mental toughness.

Herm was the personification of pussification.

Yes. Football requires little of these

http://www.teddybeargifts.biz/ProductImages/BeauchampSofa.jpg

and many of these

http://www.collider.com/uploads/imageGallery/Three_Hundred_300/300_movie_image_gerard_butler.jpg

Sully
08-03-2009, 01:32 PM
I hope to post a longer report later, but, Tank was the best defensive player on the field this morning.
I am also impressed with mcgee.

Hammock Parties
08-03-2009, 01:33 PM
I hope to post a longer report later, but, Tank was the best defensive player on the field this morning.

Tank was frequently the best defensive lineman on the team last year.

He gets a lot of shit for no reason.

the Talking Can
08-03-2009, 01:34 PM

seems every report so far has mentioned magee doing good things....

Mr. Flopnuts
08-03-2009, 01:48 PM
http://media.kansascity.com/smedia/2009/08/01/15/933-CHIEFSCAMP_SP_080109_DRE_1035f.standalone.prod_affiliate.81.jpg

LMAO

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-03-2009, 01:50 PM
Cottam was held out today because of a slight ankle sprain in last nights practice...although it was more of a hurt ego IMO. He dropped a perfectly thrown ball last night on a seam route, and got up limping while getting an ear full from Haley...

Haley then watched Cottam getting his ankle taped a bit later and yelled "that's your life story Cottam!". "That's your life story!".
Posted via Mobile Device

LMAO Jesus, is Haley going for Man Crush of the Year or what?

Wow...Haley being a bit of a Coach.

FYP.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-03-2009, 01:50 PM
LMAO

That's the look that got Claythan's panties all frothing.

kcxiv
08-03-2009, 02:42 PM
I think i love Todd Haley. Its not him being a hard ass imo, is him expecting his players to be in shape in order to help him win a championship. Obviously its not going to happen this year, but this is the first step to get there.

This is why i a not sold on Cassel as the starter just yet. He's going to put in whoever is playing better.

I LOVE ME some Todd Haley. Homo or no homo, i dont give a shit. This shit makes me interested in football again.

DaKCMan AP
08-03-2009, 02:51 PM
So far Haley is Awesome, like DaKCMan AP.

Tribal Warfare
08-03-2009, 05:25 PM

August 3 6:04 ET

The Chiefs worked out a handful of free agents Monday afternoon. The club wouldn't confirm the workouts, let alone say who participated. One was WR D.J. Hackett, who previously played for the Seahawks and Panthers.
The Chiefs worked out a handful of free agents Monday afternoon. The club wouldn't confirm the workouts, let alone say who participated. One was WR D.J. Hackett, who previously played for the Seahawks and Panthers.

August 3 5:47 ET

In a pass-protection drill with running backs blocking linebackers, RB <a href="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/396164">Larry Johnson</a> was impressive in handling the rush. That's been a problem for him during his career with the Chiefs.
In a pass-protection drill with running backs blocking linebackers, RB Larry Johnson was impressive in handling the rush. That's been a problem for him during his career with the Chiefs.

August 3 5:34 ET

After starting practice with the Chiefs rehab team, TE <a href="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1674140">Jake O'Connell</a> is back working with the regular team.
After starting practice with the Chiefs rehab team, TE Jake O'Connell is back working with the regular team.

August 3 5:27 ET

Chiefs have nine players sitting out the afternoon practice: RB <a href="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/436530">Kolby Smith</a>; TEs <a href="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/431512">Brad Cottam</a>, <a href="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/541380">Tony Curtis</a> and <a href="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1674140">Jake O'Connell</a>; G <a href="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1619070">Edwin Harrison</a>; DE <a href="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/518156">Glenn Dorsey</a>; LBs <a href="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/552552">Derrick Johnson</a> and <a href="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/493115">Demorrio Williams</a>; S <a href="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/504763">DaJuan Morgan</a>.
Chiefs have nine players sitting out the afternoon practice: RB Kolby Smith; TEs Brad Cottam, Tony Curtis and Jake O'Connell; G Edwin Harrison; DE Glenn Dorsey; LBs Derrick Johnson and Demorrio Williams; S DaJuan Morgan.

August 3 5:12 ET

Chiefs TEs <a href="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/431512">Brad Cottam</a> and <a href="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/541380">Tony Curtis</a> are both out of their second practice of the day with ankle injuries.
Chiefs TEs Brad Cottam and Tony Curtis are both out of their second practice of the day with ankle injuries.

KCUnited
08-03-2009, 05:29 PM
That's your life story Glenn! That's your life story!

Mizzou_8541
08-03-2009, 05:30 PM
I may have missed it, was Dorsey practicing today?

Edit: Nevermind. Can't read.

Hammock Parties
08-03-2009, 05:30 PM
I may have missed it, was Dorsey practicing today?

Yeah. Practicing being a bitch.

Mizzou_8541
08-03-2009, 05:42 PM
Yeah. Practicing being a bitch.

He still hasn't passed the conditioning test I take it?

Hammock Parties
08-03-2009, 05:44 PM
He still hasn't passed the conditioning test I take it?

He's still on the sidelines doing bitch work, yes.

Sully
08-03-2009, 06:12 PM
Okay, my humble "report" to come, but I realized something after watching my first day of practices under the Haley regime....

Since the Schottenheimer years, this has been a team that, during their good years, won on emotion and heart as much as talent and execution. There were many years under Marty that the team was slated to finish out of first, and Marty used that as an affront to the team, and used it to piss them off every year/week/day. They had talent, obviously, but looking back, they probably didn't have nearly the talent that Marty squeezed out of them. I like Marty, and will look upon his years in KC fondly, but he was more of a mental manipulator than an Xs and Os guy.

Every coach since then, IMO, has followed down the same path. Obviously Gunther tried this method, Obviously Herm tried this method, and I'd say Vermeil did, as well (although he used the "play because you love each other" manipulation rather than the "pissed off at the world" one).

This regime couldn't be further from that. It's about business. Get your ass on the field, learn where to be and how to get there, and play football. It's far more about mentally being precise than it is about being angry. Sure, there's yelling (just as much as any other coach's camp). But it's more about players not using the techniques and plays correctly, than just trying to light a fire under their asses. I have heard Haley, in one day, coach more fundamental football than I ever did any of the previous coaches.

For instance, the QBs and pass catchers were doing a drill where the receiver or tight end would fake a post, cut it to a drag, then settle in between zones. The drill went on for several minutes, and as it was against air, it looked fine. WR was running across the field, stopping before the bag (intended to be a LB), settling down, catching the pass, and turning up field. Haley comes over, and he's not pissed, but obviously not happy with the way the drill was being run. And it was two basic things he was upset about. A) The QBs, in this situation, are to put the ball on the WR or TE's back shoulder, so they can reverse pivot to get upfield. The way they were throwing was getting the catch made, but was running them toward the LB. B) The WRs and TEs weren't settling their feet. It was all about details, and doing it exactly right, even if it was against air. I liked it.

Finally, as a complete departure from our previous coach, there was a short segment of practice dedicated to what to do for time management. The ball was on the opposing team's 45 yard-line. The team had 1 time out, and there were less than 20 seconds on the clock. He had each group go out, and against air run one play. But it wasn't about getting into the end zone or getting as many yards as possible. He wanted 12-16 yards...and that's it. So each group practiced several times running all the WRs deep, except one, who would settle short, grab the pass, and take a knee after several yards, as every player on the team looked for an official to call time out.

Details.

I was a fan of hiring Haley, but I like his plan even more than I thought I would.

Hammock Parties
08-03-2009, 06:14 PM
I'm betting Haley can use that emotional edge to put them over the top when it really counts.

It's hard to sustain that over the course of a whole year.

Better to br a badass collection of 22 skull-fucking football robots.

Pioli Zombie
08-03-2009, 06:24 PM
Someone post thr thread please
NFL NETWORK IS SHOWING THE FULL GAME DERRICK THOMAS 7 SACKS.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sully
08-03-2009, 06:25 PM
As for what I saw today on the field from players...

I focused on very few guys, based off what I was personally interested in, and also what was on the field closest to my vantage point. In the morning practice, it was a lot of the front 7, and in the evening, more QB/WR/RB stuff. I'm no Nick "Assclown" Athan, but here's what I saw.

Tank Tyler- Absolutely a beast. Quick off the snap, keeping his gap, and creating a new line of scrimmage. I really liked what I saw from him, and would say he was the top defensive player, or at least top 2.

Brandon Flowers- Also in contention for best defensive player today. It's harder for DBs to flash and impress me, just based ont he nature of their position. But thinking back of standout plays by DBs, and he was involved in both of them. On a fade, he covered Bowe as if they were conjoined, and grabbed an INT this evening.

Jovan Belcher- I'm impressed with his ability. He's quick, tough, and absolutely killed Macintosh in a pass rushing drill. Who knows if he'll even make the team, but his effort is unimpeachable.

Dwayne Bowe- Something is wrong with him. He is dropping more passes than Sammy Parker with a blindfold and vaseline on his fingers. I'm not sure where his head is at...but it is getting ugly.

Mike Vrabel- Doesn't look old at all. Quick.

Colin Brown- I watched him because I want him to be good, and because he's a Mizzou guy. He's a practice squad player. He's so damn tall, he comes off every snap way too high. He needs to learn leverage.

Brandon Albert- Looks REALLY good. Like he's been there for years. Even spends time with Brown during nearly every down time trying to tutor him.

The "injured" guys- Are working harder than anyone in full pads. I'd think they'd want to either get healthy quick, or pass the damn conditioning test than keep doing what they are doing.

Larry Johnson- Looks in shape, still tip-toeing and not following his blockers. This drives me nuts.

Bernard Pollard- Wearing the "TO-style" black tights with no shorts. Why? This is a family place, put the mouse back in the house!

Alex Magee- Looks good, for a rookie. I'm not putting him in the Pro Bowl, yet, but I'm just saying he's getting after it, has good movement in the pass rush, and seems to "get it." But he's got a ways to go.

Guy in his 50s with long ponytail- While it's slightly humorous to see you "sprint" after a Len Dawson who was literally jogging to get away from you, it's downright creepy when he has to jump into a van to escape you, 10 minutes after he signed your autograph. He's not your buddy. He doesn't want to discuss the good ole days with you.

Guy wearing the Chiefs hoodie with no sleeves- Just because they make clothing, doesn't mean you have to wear it... It's not a good look.

Hammock Parties
08-03-2009, 06:26 PM
Tank Tyler- Absolutely a beast. Quick off the snap, keeping his gap, and creating a new line of scrimmage. I really liked what I saw from him, and would say he was the top defensive player, or at least top 2.

This can't be. Everyone here says he sucks.

I guess this doesn't speak well for Niswanger.

Sully
08-03-2009, 06:31 PM
Edited my update post to add more observations.

Hammock Parties
08-03-2009, 06:33 PM
LOL @ Len Dawson's stalker.

Pioli Zombie
08-03-2009, 06:49 PM
Since the other fucking pricks won't do it.........if anyone would be interested..NFL Network is now showing the full broadcast of the Derrick Thomas 7 sack game RIGHT NOW
Posted via Mobile Device

SAUTO
08-03-2009, 07:09 PM
Since the other fucking pricks won't do it.........if anyone would be interested..NFL Network is now showing the full broadcast of the Derrick Thomas 7 sack game RIGHT NOW
Posted via Mobile Device

PIOLI Z0MBIE THERE IS A THREAD ABOUT IT.:D

Tribal Warfare
08-03-2009, 07:10 PM
Camp Practice Update 8/3 P.M. (http://www.bobgretz.com/chiefs-football/camp-practice-update-83-pm.html)
August 3, 2009 - Bob Gretz |

Under sunny skies and warm temperatures with just a hint of a breeze blowing across the fields, the Chiefs got practice No. 5 in Monday afternoon.

Not surprisingly considering the five practices in three days the team also had its first fight. OT Herb Taylor tangled with an unidentified defensive lineman and ended up on his back with a pile ofplayers on top of him.

Todd Haley answered the fight by making the entire team run to the opposite end zone and back. “We are not going to beat ourselves,” Haley told his players.

There was plenty of extra running for jumpy defensive linemen who just can’t seem to understand they are going to be penalized now if they go offsides. During the practice, DE Alfonso Boone, DE Dion Gales and NT Derek Lokey all jumped and had a penalty run.

On the injury and participation front there were eight players not practicing. Rookie TE Jake O’Connell returned to work after missing the first four practices. Those not participating were: TE Brad Cottam (right ankle), TE Tony Curtis (left ankle), LB Derrick Johnson (right hamstring), RB Kolby Smith (right knee), DE Glenn Dorsey (left shin), LB Demorrio Williams (unknown leg injury), G Edwin Harrison (right knee) and S DaJuan Morgan (unknown injury).

Here are some observations and nuggets from the afternoon work:

- There was another session of RB pass protection against blitzing linebackers off the edge. The first time they did this drill, the offense struggled. Not so this time, as they put together a much better performance. Larry Johnson was especially good, as he battled Mike Vrabel to a standstill and later was able to direct Tamba Hali’s rush outside. FB Jed Collins picked up two victories as well, while Jackie Battle got a victory and two draws.

- There was a great deal of work on kick returns and kick coverage in the session. Special teams coach Steve Hoffman fielded this first kickoff coverage unit (from left to right): Bernard Pollard, Brandon Carr, Jovan Belcher, Jackie Battle, Ryan Succop, Terrance Copper, Mike Brown, Andy Studebaker, Brandon Flowers and Jarrad Page.

- During practice there were six players that took turns returning kickoffs: Taurus Johnson, Rodney Wright, Jackie Bates, Maurice Leggett, Londen Fryar and Ricky Price. Then after practice no less than 14 players were catching kicks off the ball machine: all the above and Copper, Quinten Lawrence, Donald Washington, Jamaal Charles, Jackie Battle Dantrell Savage, Ricardo Colclough and Javarris Williams.

- Succop drew the ire of Haley on his first kickoff when he sent a short scattershot down the middle of the field that was picked up at the 10-yard line. “Come on Ryan, that’s what you are here for (kickoffs),” yelled Haley. After that, Succop’s kicks landed at the goal line, the minus-2, the one-yard line and the goal line.

- In the team work portion of practice, QB Matt Cassel was two of three, missing on a deep ball to WR Devard Darling that was overthrown and should have been caught by Leggett for an interception. Tyler Thigpen went with the second offense and hit three of four. The incompletion should have been intercepted, as he threw the ball directly at Colclough. The receiver came back and broke up the INT. Brodie Croyle was two of three, with a nice bootleg right pass that O’Connell caught downfield.

- Former American Football League head coach and NFL defensive coordinator Joe Collier watched practice. His son Joel is the assistant general manager of the Chiefs.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-03-2009, 07:14 PM

August 3 6:04 ET

So nice we had to do it twice?:)

Tribal Warfare
08-03-2009, 07:17 PM
So nice we had to do it twice?:)

that's the way they set it up when I copied and pasted the thing.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-03-2009, 07:25 PM
that's the way they set it up when I copied and pasted the thing.

Okay, I thought you were possibly catering to ADD contingent of of CP.:D

Pioli Zombie
08-03-2009, 07:28 PM
PIOLI Z0MBIE THERE IS A THREAD ABOUT IT.:D

Now there is. At the time all the thread title said was "get your DVRS ready....."
Posted via Mobile Device

Hammock Parties
08-03-2009, 07:28 PM
Now Cassel is overthrowing Darling. If Darling could just get a REAL QB he would explode.

Darling = Randy Moss

SAUTO
08-03-2009, 07:30 PM
Now Cassel is overthrowing Darling. If Darling could just get a REAL QB he would explode.

Darling = Randy Moss

yep neither run all out all the time

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-03-2009, 07:30 PM

Darling = Randy Moss

God your ability to back SUCK is unparalleled!:evil:

Hammock Parties
08-03-2009, 07:31 PM

I don't know about that.

http://i31.tinypic.com/91goio.jpg

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-03-2009, 07:35 PM
I don't know about that.

http://i31.tinypic.com/91goio.jpg

BP's just practicing his levitation;' why you gotta' hate on the Jedi Master?:D

DeezNutz
08-03-2009, 07:36 PM

Don't all Chiefs fans fall under this umbrella?

This franchise has been full of fail for a ridiculously long time.

Hammock Parties
08-03-2009, 07:37 PM
Pollard's midi-chlorian count must be really low.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-03-2009, 07:39 PM
Don't all Chiefs fans fall under this umbrella?

This franchise has been full of fail for a ridiculously long time.

lol. Yeah, but D Darling?! Did he even PLAY more than one game last year?

Hammock Parties
08-03-2009, 07:40 PM
Darling scored a touchdown last year DESPITE Thigpen.

BTW, they worked out David Terrell and Amani Toomer today.

FAIL!

SAUTO
08-03-2009, 07:40 PM
they say that the other WR we worked out today was david terrell . damn clay beat me by seconds. i guess WPI is breaking news. and i didnt even hear it there

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-03-2009, 07:42 PM
Darling scored a touchdown last year DESPITE Thigpen.

BTW, they worked out David Terrell and Amani Toomer today.

FAIL!

TOOMA'

SAUTO
08-03-2009, 07:42 PM
and edwin harrison was also released

DeezNutz
08-03-2009, 07:46 PM
Toomer would probably be a really nice addition, actually.

Hammock Parties
08-03-2009, 07:47 PM
Toomer would probably be a really nice addition, actually.

Hell we already got a 36-year old WR...Toomer is "only" 34.

DeezNutz
08-03-2009, 07:49 PM
Hell we already got a 36-year old WR...Toomer is "only" 34.

He'd immediately be the most talented receiver not named Bowe on the team. Pretty sad.

Jethopper
08-03-2009, 08:00 PM

Coach
08-03-2009, 08:13 PM

Darling = Randy Moss

Not even fucking close. If he was so fucking good, then the Chiefs wouldn't even need to be auditioning for WR's.

LaChapelle
08-03-2009, 09:27 PM
Gailey is also the QB coach, can he do that from the booth?

Tribal Warfare
08-04-2009, 03:27 AM

Does he look more comfortable in the new defense, and how much of this is due to the OL sucking balls?

the Talking Can
08-04-2009, 05:21 AM
As for what I saw today on the field from players...

I focused on very few guys, based off what I was personally interested in, and also what was on the field closest to my vantage point. In the morning practice, it was a lot of the front 7, and in the evening, more QB/WR/RB stuff. I'm no Nick "Assclown" Athan, but here's what I saw.

Brandon Flowers- Also in contention for best defensive player today. It's harder for DBs to flash and impress me, just based ont he nature of their position. But thinking back of standout plays by DBs, and he was involved in both of them. On a fade, he covered Bowe as if they were conjoined, and grabbed an INT this evening.

Jovan Belcher- I'm impressed with his ability. He's quick, tough, and absolutely killed Macintosh in a pass rushing drill. Who knows if he'll even make the team, but his effort is unimpeachable.

Dwayne Bowe- Something is wrong with him. He is dropping more passes than Sammy Parker with a blindfold and vaseline on his fingers. I'm not sure where his head is at...but it is getting ugly.

Mike Vrabel- Doesn't look old at all. Quick.

Colin Brown- I watched him because I want him to be good, and because he's a Mizzou guy. He's a practice squad player. He's so damn tall, he comes off every snap way too high. He needs to learn leverage.

Brandon Albert- Looks REALLY good. Like he's been there for years. Even spends time with Brown during nearly every down time trying to tutor him.

The "injured" guys- Are working harder than anyone in full pads. I'd think they'd want to either get healthy quick, or pass the damn conditioning test than keep doing what they are doing.

Larry Johnson- Looks in shape, still tip-toeing and not following his blockers. This drives me nuts.

Bernard Pollard- Wearing the "TO-style" black tights with no shorts. Why? This is a family place, put the mouse back in the house!

Alex Magee- Looks good, for a rookie. I'm not putting him in the Pro Bowl, yet, but I'm just saying he's getting after it, has good movement in the pass rush, and seems to "get it." But he's got a ways to go.

Guy in his 50s with long ponytail- While it's slightly humorous to see you "sprint" after a Len Dawson who was literally jogging to get away from you, it's downright creepy when he has to jump into a van to escape you, 10 minutes after he signed your autograph. He's not your buddy. He doesn't want to discuss the good ole days with you.

Guy wearing the Chiefs hoodie with no sleeves- Just because they make clothing, doesn't mean you have to wear it... It's not a good look.

thanks for the updates....

Sully
08-04-2009, 08:05 AM
Does he look more comfortable in the new defense, and how much of this is due to the OL sucking balls?

It's still one-gap, so not much has changed for him. As far as the OL, they don't look bad.

gblowfish
08-04-2009, 08:18 AM
All I can say about training camp is...
Great Googly Moogly!!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/J3gYApfUsaQ&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/J3gYApfUsaQ&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Tribal Warfare
08-04-2009, 08:19 AM
It's still one-gap, so not much has changed for him. As far as the OL, they don't look bad.

Alright, I thought they put Tank in the two gap and the defense in generalto see how well they would transition since Dorsey's out

Sully
08-04-2009, 09:26 AM
Most everything so far has been 1-gap.

This is going to be a very creative defense, though. I've seen anywhere between 1 and 4 down linemen depending on the call. Fun to watch.

Titty Meat
08-04-2009, 02:17 PM

Tribal Warfare
08-04-2009, 03:09 PM
August 4 3:58 ET

New Chiefs WR Amani Toomer made a nice leaping catch along the sidelines on a hot, high throw from QB <a href="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/416011">Ingle Martin</a>.
New Chiefs WR Amani Toomer made a nice leaping catch along the sidelines on a hot, high throw from QB Ingle Martin.

August 4 3:49 ET

Chiefs ILB <a href="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/4392">Zach Thomas</a> isn't taking part in the teamwork portion of practice. <a href="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1675846">Corey Smith</a> is working with the first-team defense.
Chiefs ILB Zach Thomas isn't taking part in the teamwork portion of practice. Corey Smith is working with the first-team defense.

August 4 3:35 ET

Chiefs K <a href="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1674148">Ryan Succop</a> hit 3 of 4 FG attempts. His kick from 40 yards was blocked, but he hit from 31, 33 and 37 yards.
Chiefs K Ryan Succop hit 3 of 4 FG attempts. His kick from 40 yards was blocked, but he hit from 31, 33 and 37 yards.

August 4 3:07 ET

Chiefs coach Todd Haley spent extra time with the receivers again and admonished WR Dwayne Bowe for how he ran a pass route.
Chiefs coach Todd Haley spent extra time with the receivers again and admonished WR Dwayne Bowe for how he ran a pass route.

August 4 3:05 ET

Not practicing with the Chiefs on Tuesday were: RB <a href="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/436530">Kolby Smith</a>, TEs <a href="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/431512">Brad Cottam</a> and <a href="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/541380">Tony Curtis</a>, LBs <a href="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/541380">Demorrio Williams</a> and <a href="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/541380">Wes Dacus</a>, Gs <a href="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/541380">Edwin Harrison</a> and <a href="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/541380">Wade Smith</a> and S <a href="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/541380">DaJuan Morgan</a>.
Not practicing with the Chiefs on Tuesday were: RB Kolby Smith, TEs Brad Cottam and Tony Curtis, LBs Demorrio Williams and Wes Dacus, Gs Edwin Harrison and Wade Smith and S DaJuan Morgan.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-04-2009, 03:13 PM
Thanks, TW!

bsp4444
08-04-2009, 03:24 PM
I can't prove it, but I heard from someone that is at training camp that Tyson Jackson is there now.

Mr. Arrowhead
08-04-2009, 03:32 PM
I can't prove it, but I heard from someone that is at training camp that Tyson Jackson is there now.

Ha, wouldnt that be something, the way the media finds out that Jackson has signed was they just saw him on the practice field.

raybec 4
08-04-2009, 03:34 PM

My cousin's girlfriend's best friend's sister saw him at 31 Flavors last night, he might be dying.

Titty Meat
08-04-2009, 03:35 PM
Ha, wouldnt that be something, the way the media finds out that Jackson has signed was they just saw him on the practice field.

Yea really. It's amazing how they reported the Chiefs were intrested in Amani Toomer with no insider info.

Sully
08-04-2009, 03:52 PM
Looked Good:
Corey Smith, Jovan Belcher, Tank Tyler, DJ, Dorsey (hit and miss), Pollard.

Looked bad:
Bowe (although better than yesterday), Waters (hurt his knee), Rodney Wright (the coaches ride his ass like he's the only player on the field...but he did catch a nice post pattern for a TD during team drill).

Interesting seeing Studebaker and Smith playing with the 1s at different times.

Hammock Parties
08-04-2009, 03:54 PM
I bet they want Rodney Wright to be their little Wes Welker in training. He's a little quick guy isn't he?

KCUnited
08-04-2009, 04:00 PM
Looked Good:
Corey Smith, Jovan Belcher, Tank Tyler, DJ, Dorsey (hit and miss), Pollard.

Looked bad:
Bowe (although better than yesterday), Waters (hurt his knee), Rodney Wright (the coaches ride his ass like he's the only player on the field...but he did catch a nice post pattern for a TD during team drill).

Interesting seeing Studebaker and Smith playing with the 1s at different times.
Is Tyler working with the 1st team?

Sully
08-04-2009, 04:06 PM
Is Tyler working with the 1st team?

No.

Edwards has been exclusively.

Sully
08-04-2009, 04:07 PM
I bet they want Rodney Wright to be their little Wes Welker in training. He's a little quick guy isn't he?

He is going to be one of the first cuts if he doesn't figure "it" out. He seems lazy, and unintelligent. He is quick, though. Physically, I'm impressed with his talent. But his brain just isn't there.

Also, our long snapper SUCKS!!!!

Hammock Parties
08-04-2009, 04:08 PM
Sully what is your take on Darling running with the first team?

Sully
08-04-2009, 04:10 PM
I think someone needs to run with the first team, but we are paper thin at WR, even moreso than I thought. Darling looked to be dogging it during a couple of drills today. It was disappointing.

Hammock Parties
08-04-2009, 04:15 PM
LJ hazed Javvy Williams.

GOAL POSTS AND TAPE - AN NFL TRADITION
August 4th - 5:09 PM
Our first rookie hazing has come and gone. Following today’s practice, RB Larry Johnson mischievously waited for rookie RB Javarris Williams to exit the practice field. Once Williams reached the doomed end zone, it was on.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/media/images/2627D1EB8ACE41189F9F411DDBF90DB5.JPG?0.9974682493992326

Titty Meat
08-04-2009, 04:16 PM
LJ hazed Javvy Williams.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/media/images/2627D1EB8ACE41189F9F411DDBF90DB5.JPG?0.9974682493992326

Does that violate his probation?

Sully
08-04-2009, 04:17 PM
Looked Good:
Corey Mays, Jovan Belcher, Tank Tyler, DJ, Dorsey (hit and miss), Pollard.

Looked bad:

Interesting seeing Studebaker and Mays playing with the 1s at different times.

I typed Smith, but meant Mays.

Titty Meat
08-04-2009, 04:22 PM
Soren Petro says Hali & Mcbride look lost at outside linebacker.

Titty Meat
08-04-2009, 04:25 PM
Lmao. Soren Petro said they ran a 1-5-5 defense. This defense really doesn't have shit we better hope the offense can score some points.

Hammock Parties
08-04-2009, 04:26 PM
Lmao. Soren Petro said they ran a 1-5-5 defense. This defense really doesn't have shit we better hope the offense can score some points.

Pendergast is basically a mad scientist.

Sully
08-04-2009, 04:29 PM
Soren Petro says Hali & Mcbride look lost at outside linebacker.

I disagree, to an extent. Petro was standing right by me, so we had the same angle, but I saw, on one play, Hali drop into a zone, and cover a TE who dragged to his side pretty well, and I have been impressed with Turk's quickness. I don't think they look nearly as fluid as someone like Vrabel, but they don't look "lost." That's not how I'd describe them.

Sully
08-04-2009, 04:30 PM

They've been running a lot of nickle stuff with 1 down lineman or 2 down linemen, but they still have at least 3 linemen on the field, just not in one static place.

Titty Meat
08-04-2009, 04:30 PM
And Pollard missed another tackle for a touchdown?

Hammock Parties
08-04-2009, 04:34 PM

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

IT'S ON

Hope they got pictures of the FAIL! ROFL

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-04-2009, 04:55 PM

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

IT'S ON

Hope they got pictures of the FAIL! ROFL

Read correctly, you dumb motherfuckers. Let me help by removing the after thought in the original post:

Looked Good:
Corey Mays, Jovan Belcher, Tank Tyler, DJ, Dorsey, Pollard.

Ya' fuckin' morans.

Hammock Parties
08-04-2009, 04:57 PM
Pollard always looks good in those tights.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-04-2009, 05:05 PM
Pollard always looks good in those tights.

No one sports the "sausage-stuffers" like BP! :D

Hammock Parties
08-04-2009, 05:21 PM
Apparently this afternoon's practice was almost 3 hours.

It seems Haley has found a very happy medium between Herm's short two-a-days and Dick's grinders.

Tribal Warfare
08-04-2009, 05:24 PM
Camp Practice Update 8/4 P.M. (http://www.bobgretz.com/chiefs-football/camp-practice-update-84-pm.html)
August 4, 2009 - Bob Gretz |

Obviously Pioli/Haley were not happy with what they saw in the first few days of training camp from their wide receivers.

What other reasons could there be for the signing 14-year veteran Amani Toomer. Wearing No. 13, Toomer was on the field for the Chiefs afternoon practice, their only session of Tuesday.

That was just a piece of a busy personnel day for the Chiefs. They signed Toomer, made official their claim on waivers of LB Vince Redd and said they had waived G Edwin Harrison and TE Tony Curtis. Both Harrison and Curtis had not been practicing because of injuries – Harrison his right knee and Curtis his left ankle.

But the big news was the addition of the 6-3, 203-pound, 34-year old Toomer, who played in 190 games for the New York Giants.

“We are actually down a receiver from the numbers we wanted,” Haley said. “As we’ve said we will do anything that we can to improve the competition. We worked him out and it looked like he still had something in his gas tank. I thought the rest of the receivers picked it up a little bit.”

When asked about his receiving group as a whole, Haley was not effusive with praise.

“It’s a work in progress,” he said. “We have to eliminate drops, w e have to do a better job mentally in some of the areas. But today was positive. From what I can tell there was a little more focus and any time you add somebody of Amani’s ability and what he’s done in the league, it can do nothing but help you. ”

Also on the field was LB Vince Redd, claimed on waivers Monday from New England. He was wearing No. 98 with the defense, working at outside linebacker.

On one play, Toomer showed he still has the ability to catch the ball. He went high to pull down a throw from QB Ingle Martin on the sidelines, getting both feet down and controlling the ball. It was one of the better catches of the Chiefs training camp so far this summer.

Here are some observations and nuggets from Tuesday’s session:

- ILB Derrick Johnson and DE Glenn Dorsey both returned to practice. Johnson moved right back into the starting lineup, while Dorsey split time at right defensive end in the first unit with Alex Magee. “I’m just going day-by-day,” Dorsey said. “I’m’ just going to get ready for tomorrow’s morning practice and that’s all I’m thinking about.”

- ILB Zack Thomas started practice, but eventually ended up on the bike patrol with the rehab team. It appears he may have an injury to his upper left leg. When he left, Corey Smith ran with the first team defense next to Johnson.

- The practice was very spirited and especially hard hitting in the run game segments. In what is called the half-line drill, one side (left or right) of the offensive line lines up against one side (left or right) of the defense. There’s also a running back and fullback, and the goal for the offense is to break the run, while the defense wants to stuff the ball carrier. Some rugged hitting in thisone, including Dorsey throwing Larry Johnson to the ground and a near fight between OLB Turk McBride and T Barry Richardson. McBride walked away from the confrontation when Richardson went after him.

- There were also pads popping in a goal line drill, with six plays that the offense and defense split with three wins each. The play of the practice came when Larry Johnson ran left and Derrick Johnson shot through a gap and tackled him for what would have been a three or four-yard loss. Big move, big play by DJ. Also in this drill, Brian Waters suffered some sort of right leg injury, probably ankle or foot. He left the drill but returned to run with the offense in a final session, even though he was limping.

- Despite knowing they have to run as punishment, players can’t seem to stop from jumping early on the snap. On Tuesday, Waters and WR Quinten Lawrence both had to run because of false starts, while CB Ricardo Colclough had to run when he left early on a punt.

- The Chiefs worked very hard on their punt team in this practice, and a couple of bad kicks by Dustin Colquitt drew the ire of Haley. “Come on Dustin, I need better than that,” Haley said.

- In one of the running drills, ILB Monty Beisel came up to stop RB Jackie Battle and connected on a good hit. But it was Beisel who was staggered as Battle ran right through him.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-04-2009, 05:26 PM

It seems Haley has found a very happy medium between Herm's short two-a-days and Dick's grinders.

All this guy has to do is show that he can properly General a game, and he's Epic Win.

Hammock Parties
08-04-2009, 05:27 PM
It's "Zach" Thomas, Bob.

Sheesh.

McBride walked away from the confrontation when Richardson went after him.Wow. Pussy.

- In one of the running drills, ILB Monty Beisel came up to stop RB Jackie Battle and connected on a good hit. But it was Beisel who was staggered as Battle ran right through him.

Dude I fucking LOVE Jackie Battle. Last year in camp he was mesmerizing. He runs HARD. I want him on this damn team.

philfree
08-04-2009, 05:33 PM
Also in this drill, Brian Waters suffered some sort of right leg injury, probably ankle or foot. He left the drill but returned to run with the offense in a final session, even though he was limping.

Sounds like he don't want to go back to the PUP squad.

PhilFree:arrow:

CupidStunt
08-04-2009, 05:38 PM
That's actually pretty encouraging for Richardson. With some dedication to improving his pass-blocking, and a bit of aggression in the running game, he could be a half-decent RT.

Chiefnj2
08-04-2009, 05:44 PM
It's "Zach" Thomas, Bob.

Sheesh.

Wow. Pussy.

Or, McBride was smart enough to know that if he reacted the entire defense was going on a 200 yard run.

Sully
08-04-2009, 05:55 PM

No it wasn't.

Sully
08-04-2009, 05:57 PM
On the way home I heard Derrick Johnson put a big hit on L.J.

It was just a shove with his two hands. However, as LJ was off balance, he flew to the ground as if he'd been popped.

Sully
That's actually pretty encouraging for Richardson. With some dedication to improving his pass-blocking, and a bit of aggression in the running game, he could be a half-decent RT.

He's also been playing quite a bit of LT.

Hammock Parties
No it wasn't.

1:50 to 4:30 is 2 hours and 40 minutes.

Sully
08-04-2009, 05:58 PM
Or, McBride was smart enough to know that if he reacted the entire defense was going on a 200 yard run.

Exactly. I wouldn't quite say that Richardson "went after him" either, unless you call a half a step toward him before going back to the huddle "going after him."

Sully
08-04-2009, 06:00 PM

It started at 2, they were out there early, as they are every day, and have been every year since I've watched practices, doing some walk-through stuff. I began walking from the Raymer Field stands when they went into stretching after practice, and was in my car by 4:20, with a stop for a 5-minute conversation.

Halfcan
08-04-2009, 06:00 PM
Battle opening some whip ass on Monte-lol

Sully
08-04-2009, 06:02 PM
Battle opening some whip ass on Monte-lol

It really looked weird. Monte went up to hit him, and it wasn't a monster hit or anything, but it caught him on his helmet wrong, I guess. He was staggered as if he'd been punched in the jaw, but neither player went to the ground. Monte took off his helmet and looked at it, and then went right back into the huddle. I was concerned he had a concussion, but he never left. But for a couple of minutes he looked a little woozy.

SAUTO
08-04-2009, 06:08 PM

ROFL damn man are you seriously doubting a guy who was actually there?

DaKCMan AP
08-04-2009, 06:10 PM

Or he realized Barry is 6'6 320lbs.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-04-2009, 07:26 PM
New videos posted at Chiefs.com:

Big Al looks phenomenal. He is in MONSTER shape.

Shag
08-04-2009, 07:31 PM
Dude I fucking LOVE Jackie Battle. Last year in camp he was mesmerizing. He runs HARD. I want him on this damn team.

Battle looked really good when I was out on Sunday. He was running with the 2nd team a lot (Charles with the 3rd), which was surprising. Not sure if that's been a theme, or unique to Sunday - I was only out for one practice...

the Talking Can
08-04-2009, 07:35 PM
does it seem like Battle has been here for 10 years?