PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Todd Haley Press Conference

Bill Lundberg
07-31-2009, 03:15 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2009/07/31/qa_with_todd_haley__731/

Q&A with TODD HALEY - 7/31

Jul 31, 2009, 4:03:36 PM

<object id="delve_player384352o" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" height="290" width="249">

<embed src="http://assets.delvenetworks.com/player/loader.swf" name="delve_player384352e" wmode="window" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer" flashvars="channelId=3ae0242875334dcf955d884fb9bbd0b8&playerForm=00000000000000000000000000000004" height="290" width="249"> </object></p> TODD HALEY: “I thought the conditioning test as a whole went very well. One of the things that I had let known to you guys was that I was concerned that guys during their little time off would stay in condition. I think as a group we did that and I feel pretty good about that.
“Now, tomorrow the real fun starts.”
Q: Did they meet your expectations as a group, better than expected, or not what you expected?
HALEY: “About what I expected. There were both ways, you could say, but about what I expected. It’s a difficult portion of the physical and as a whole I felt pretty good.”
Q: How many failed?
HALEY: “I won’t get into numbers but we had a handful of guys who are not going to pass the physical right now for a number of different reasons. We don’t have anybody who’s real far off and that’s what I feel real good about. We should have everybody going pretty soon.
“There will be a number of guys not practicing tomorrow but it won’t all be because of this. This was part of our physical examination. It will be a handful.
“The thought process is: a well conditioned team you feel like has a chance to perform at its highest level at whatever stage – whether it’s the fourth quarter, whether it’s the sixteenth game, the eighteenth game, whatever it is. Conditioning in my mind and our staff’s mind is an important factor in helping you to win games. That’s why it’s something we’ve stressed from day one and will continue to stress all through the season.”
Q: Can you say how many who won’t are a result of something other than passing the test?
HALEY: “I won’t talk about that right now. I haven’t even talked to all the players. I haven’t talked to the players themselves.”
Q: Is there any update on Tyson Jackson?
HALEY: “I’ll sound like a broken record but I will only discuss guys who are here practicing.”
Q: Larry Johnson is a guy who has said in the past that he isn’t sure what he wants to do. but yesterday he reaffirmed sort of a long term thing that, ‘yes, I’m ready to play football for the Chiefs again.’ How important is that sort of mental approach?
HALEY: “I don’t know if the actual talk is important. It’s more important for the fans out there, but I know myself as a coach I go by what I see and that’s why I said throughout the spring that guys are working, guys are here and that’s what I’m interested in, not what they’re saying, but what they’re doing.
“From my first day on the job Larry Johnson has appeared to me he’s interested in football and he enjoys working at it. So, I’m excited about it.”
Q: So, Larry’s attitude is in the right place?
HALEY: “I have not had an issue with Larry Johnson. Larry has obviously proven in the past that he capable of being a very good running back in the league. He’s a top echelon guy and right now running back in general is one of the groups I’m excited to see how it plays out because I think we have some talent there and we’ve got some competitive guys. It should be an interesting battle as we go forward.
“I just told the team that there’s opportunity for everyone, so every position is wide open right now.”
Q: Do you think that Jamaal Charles can handle being a little bigger?
HALEY: “I won’t necessarily get into what his weight is, but Jamaal is a guy we have hopes for. As a guy coming out of college he is a player I thought a lot of as far as ability. Now, it’ll just be more of a deal of what he wants to do with it.”
Q: How difficult is it for Glenn Dorsey to miss practices?
HALEY: “I don’t know that he’s missing anything right now, but any time you miss it’s going to hurt you no matter who you are. Its football season and football players are out there on the field. They need to be out there ; it’s hard to miss any time and have a chance to compete at your best.”
http://www.kcchiefs.com/media/images/8F66795521AF4EE79D0B74B95211A02D.JPG?0.23740526330220224 (http://twitter.com/KC_Chiefs1)Q: Are you confident he can adapt to a new position?
HALEY: “As I said at the end of the OTA’s, those defensive and offensive line positions, we can evaluate their condition, how they look and how they learn but until we get out there tomorrow and have the pads on…that’s when we really start to learn what we have there. We’re going to go by what we see and that’s why it’s important they’re all out there showing us what they have to offer.”
Q: Has Ryan Succup won the job as kicker or will you still be looking?
HALEY: “The competition has definitely not been eliminated. I could probably pull out a list right now of veteran kickers that are staying ready. But with the roster numbers this year it definitely is a crunch to try to do what you want to do and who you can afford to lose. (Waived kicker) Connor (Barth) was a guy who worked really hard in the off-season and did a commendable job last year. The competition is on for everybody.”
Q: So Ryan should continue to rent?
HALEY: “I told all the guys they’re competing not only with the guys on this practice field but really guys at every other training camp that’s going on.”
Q: What do you like about Ryan that you didn’t like about Connor?
HALEY: “I won’t compare the two. We drafted Ryan for a reason; he’s a big, strong guy who should be pretty good on kickoffs which is important, especially when the weather starts to turn at Arrowhead. It’s an area that’s important to us.
“Now, whether it’s Ryan or Connor or anybody else out there right now, I don’t know.
Q: How physical is this camp going to be?
HALEY: “There’s just a short amount of time and we’re on the two-a-day, one-a-day schedule but we’ll have the pads on every day until we think we know enough because you have to get ready in a short amount of time. The only way to get ready to play football in a short amount of time is with the pads on, in my opinion.”

HolyHandgernade
07-31-2009, 03:33 PM
Q: Do you think that Jamaal Charles can handle being a little bigger?

"Smilin' Jamaal"?

http://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/files/creepy%20bob.gif

mlyonsd
07-31-2009, 04:30 PM
"Smilin' Jamaal"?

http://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/files/creepy%20bob.gif

Those commercials rock.

the Talking Can
07-31-2009, 04:47 PM
i love that our coach was the grounds keeper in Caddy Shack....seriously

BigChiefFan
07-31-2009, 04:55 PM
Football is around the corner. It's hard to believe.

DMAC
07-31-2009, 05:02 PM
Wait...so is Barth going to be able to compete?
Posted via Mobile Device

Hammock Parties
07-31-2009, 05:06 PM
Wait...so is Barth going to be able to compete?
Posted via Mobile Device

Sounds like he'll be brought in at the first sign of struggles from Succop.

DMAC
07-31-2009, 05:12 PM
Sounds like he'll be brought in at the first sign of struggles from Succop.
Sweet, keeping hope alive.

Shaid
07-31-2009, 05:14 PM
Pads on every day to start out. That's a luxury you can have when everyone comes into camp in good condition. Good mindset starting out. Lets hope it translates into good play on the football field.

LOCOChief
07-31-2009, 05:19 PM
He's going to be the best yet.

LOCOChief
07-31-2009, 05:27 PM
Haley is all business. We've not seen this type of competitive environment since I don't know when. Pre Marty's not worth talking about, only one and that was too far back. Marty like Vermeil, is prone to go with the vet hence limiting the scope of analysis.