PDA

View Full Version : Computers Huge flaw in Macs that make them easier to hack than PC

Hammock Parties
07-31-2009, 10:20 PM
Suck it, Mac fanboys.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32210255/ns/technology_and_science-security/

LAS VEGAS - A Mac security expert has uncovered a technique that hackers could use to take control of Apple Inc. computers and steal data that is scrambled to protect it from identity thieves.

Prominent Mac researcher Dino Dai Zovi disclosed the software flaw at the Black Hat security conference in Las Vegas, one of the world's top forums for exchanging information on Internet threats.

About 4,000 security professionals are in attendance, including some who are really hackers. While experts ferret out software flaws to fix them and protect users, hackers use the same information to devise pranks or commit crimes.
Story continues below ↓advertisement | your ad here

Attacks on Apple computers are extremely rare, but security experts say that will change as Macs gain market share on PCs running Microsoft Corp's Windows operating system.

Some hackers have already released programs that attack Macs, including one earlier this year that was spread to a small number of machines via pirated software.

It is not illegal to publish software that can be used to hack into computer systems, though it is against the law to use it to break into them.

Dai Zovi, a security researcher and co-author of "The Mac Hacker's Handbook," said on Wednesday that once hackers start to put substantial resources into targeting Apple's computers, they will be at least as vulnerable as Windows machines.

"There is no magic fairy dust protecting Macs," he said in an interview.

The technique — dubbed "Machiavelli" — exploits a vulnerability in the Mac OS X kernel, the heart of the machine's operating system. It only works on machines that have already been victimized, such as ones attacked with the pirated software. It can take control of Apple's Safari browser, logging passwords to financial accounts and data on bank statements, Dai Zovi said.

An Apple spokeswoman could not be reached for comment.

Apple is the fourth-largest U.S. PC maker and continues to take market share. It held 9 percent of the U.S. market in the second quarter, according to Gartner.

"They are advancing. Our concern is that they are just not advancing as fast as they are gaining market share," said Charlie Miller, co-author of "The Mac Hacker's Handbook."

Still, they said the Mac's operating system will be an easier nut to crack once hackers start to focus on it. That is because it has a lot more code in it than Windows, leaving room for more vulnerabilities and bugs that hackers can exploit, the two experts said.

"Everyone is on their toes," Miller said.

Paniero
07-31-2009, 10:32 PM
I must admit, I started to read the post. Then I saw the battle cry of lonely men all over the world:

Suck it, Mac fanboys.

As soon as I saw an insult about computers hurled out, I immediately looked left and was distracted from the article by the fact that the thread starter has a part time career here at CP, averaging 32 posts per day.

And as if a moment of clarity came about, I now realize why lonely men seemingly always default to imploring boys to suck it as they furiously battle from behind their keyboards, using their pot bellies as elbow rests.

Because if they don't suck it, no one will.

ArrowheadMagic
07-31-2009, 10:39 PM
hard to hack a pc when its frozen, blue screened and needs to reboot.

RustShack
07-31-2009, 10:41 PM
How could would the child of a PC and Mac be if they had cybersex? :hmmm:

Miles
07-31-2009, 10:43 PM
hard to hack a pc when its frozen, blue screened and needs to reboot.

You might want to update your material.

ArrowheadMagic
07-31-2009, 10:46 PM
You might want to update your material.

Probably wait for Windows 7 to replace Vista before I do.

Bugeater
07-31-2009, 11:23 PM
Meh. There were plenty of reasons to hate Apple before this.

DaneMcCloud
07-31-2009, 11:25 PM
Meh. There were plenty of reasons to hate Apple before this.

The "Genius Bar" being number one on my list.

"Genius Bar".

Bullshit.

How about "Cool haircut, I'm smarter than you (not really) and I own a Mac" Bar.

Or the "Minimum Wage Bar".

ArrowheadMagic
07-31-2009, 11:36 PM

"Genius Bar".

Bullshit.

How about "Cool haircut, I'm smarter than you (not really) and I own a Mac" Bar.

Because PC's help desk is better? Better paid? .... at least you know Mac people will speak the same language as you do..... unless you want to compare the geek squad to the genius bar..... ? Thats a different topic all together.

banyon
07-31-2009, 11:56 PM
I honestly don't get this whole "I'm a PC" person and "I'm a Mac" person. It reminds me of "hey I am a Chevy guy Fords can suck it."

I mean, just get the product you like and shut the f*ck up about it already. What does it say about people who tie their personal f*cking identities to corporate brand name loyalties anyway?

Most of these products aren't even made in this country mainly anymore.

ArrowheadMagic
08-01-2009, 12:01 AM
corporate pawns. good advertising and marketing. who doesnt know someone that thinks they are better than you because of what they have? Its a material thing.

Buehler445
08-01-2009, 12:06 AM
Because PC's help desk is better? Better paid? .... at least you know Mac people will speak the same language as you do..... unless you want to compare the geek squad to the genius bar..... ? Thats a different topic all together.

:spock:

Uhh.... every Dell service tech..whatever they are called has been from here in the states and spoke perfect English. I'm pretty sure Dell is still the largest selling PC manufacturer, so I'm quite certain you're off base here.

Don't get me wrong, Dell's Decision Support Software is about as effective as I am at brain surgery, but your point about them being foreign is off base.

Hammock Parties
08-01-2009, 12:08 AM
Geek squad is affiliated with Best Buy. They aren't affiliated with a PC manufacturer, let alone Microsoft, which is the comparison you're trying to draw.

Macs = marketing bullshit.

Hey, anyone want to buy a Bose wave radio to go with their Mac?

Reaper16
08-01-2009, 12:09 AM
I must admit, I started to read the post. Then I saw the battle cry of lonely men all over the world:

Suck it, Mac fanboys.

As soon as I saw an insult about computers hurled out, I immediately looked left and was distracted from the article by the fact that the thread starter has a part time career here at CP, averaging 32 posts per day.

And as if a moment of clarity came about, I now realize why lonely men seemingly always default to imploring boys to suck it as they furiously battle from behind their keyboards, using their pot bellies as elbow rests.

Tell us how you really feel.

Hammock Parties
08-01-2009, 12:10 AM
I now realize why lonely men seemingly always default to imploring boys to suck it as they furiously battle from behind their keyboards, using their pot bellies as elbow rests.

I got a blowjob last week from a girl.

Guess what?

She's a PC user. And we hooked up via our PCs.

88TG88
08-01-2009, 01:45 AM

"Genius Bar".

Bullshit.

IDK, they always help out the dudes who look rich, like you. When I walk in they keep an eye on me to make sure I don't steal.

ArrowheadMagic
08-01-2009, 01:46 AM
Geek squad is affiliated with Best Buy. They aren't affiliated with a PC manufacturer, let alone Microsoft, which is the comparison you're trying to draw.

Macs = marketing bullshit.

Hey, anyone want to buy a Bose wave radio to go with their Mac?

I own a tower and laptop of both, have far less trouble with the macs especially when graphic heavy running multiple programs. I am only bias because I have test samples. Test drive a macbook pro and tell me it worse than your pc laptop. apple will let you return it before 30 days.

ArrowheadMagic
08-01-2009, 01:48 AM
Bose for anything sucks

RealSNR
08-01-2009, 01:54 AM
I just bought the new Macbook (MacBook Pro is a waste of money) and I love it. I've used PCs for years prior. Why did I do it? Because it was the best laptop on the market.

Some PC company like Dell will likely come out with a model that's similar to their best selling Inspiron several years ago and I'm sure that will be the next best thing. I just knew too many people who had problems with Vista and had shitty slow PC laptops to pull that trigger again.

Guess what? I have a computer. It computes. It does exactly what a PC does. PCs and Macs are both computers. Imagine that.

ArrowheadMagic
08-01-2009, 02:06 AM
I just bought the new Macbook (MacBook Pro is a waste of money) and I love it. I've used PCs for years prior. Why did I do it? Because it was the best laptop on the market.

Some PC company like Dell will likely come out with a model that's similar to their best selling Inspiron several years ago and I'm sure that will be the next best thing. I just knew too many people who had problems with Vista and had shitty slow PC laptops to pull that trigger again.

Guess what? I have a computer. It computes. It does exactly what a PC does. PCs and Macs are both computers. Imagine that.

Intended use. Pro does more for my use than it might yours. If all anyone needs is a computer to surf the web, then by all means... save money and buy a pc.. depends on what you want and expect out of your investment. Performance wise over the life of the equipment, Mac wins out.

Hammock Parties
08-01-2009, 02:13 AM
I own a tower and laptop of both, have far less trouble with the macs especially when graphic heavy running multiple programs. I am only bias because I have test samples. Test drive a macbook pro and tell me it worse than your pc laptop. apple will let you return it before 30 days.

I wouldn't want a Mac. They don't run the programs I use.