PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Drops? Still............

Smed1065
08-02-2009, 02:02 AM
http://uwrf.edu/chiefs/prev_updates.php?page=2&Files=090801pm.htm

Offense

The Chiefs offense opened practice this afternoon running plays 11-0. Quarterbacking the first team was Matt Cassel. Cassel ended up taking the most snaps in the 11-0 drill.
Wide receiver Dwayne Bowe had the first dropped ball of the day in an 11-0 drill. It turned out to be a trend for the remainder of practice. Tight end Brad Cottam had two drops in a row when running routes against air about 20 minutes later. Rookie wide receiver Quinten Lawerence had a drop in one-on-one drills. Wide receiver Mark Bradley had a drop in the 7-on-7 drills. Head Coach Todd Haley had commented earlier in the day that he had seen too many drops in the morning session.

During a drill involving both offensive and defensive linemen, center Eric Ghiaciuc pushed defensive tackle Tank Tyler over. The crowd, including both offensive and defensive players, let out some “oooh’s” after the play. Ghiaciuc offered to help Tyler up, but Tyler declined the hand and sprinted back to complete the drill. The offfensive line was looking strong again when tackle Cameron Goldberg knocked linebacker Tamba Hali over pretty handedly. Hali got back up and continued to battle toward the “quarterback.”
During 11-on-11, quarterback Matt Cassel completed two back-to-back passes to wide receiver Dwayne Bowe before completing another pass to tight end Brad Cottam. Next, Cassel threw an incomplete pass, just a little too far, to wide reciever Bobby Engram. Later, quarterback Brodie Croyle completed a pass to wide receiver Jeff Webb and handoffs to running backs Jamaal Charles and Javarris Williams.

During the individual position split, the tight ends were working on some blocking. When Brad Cottam got over-extended, trying to make a block, Tight End Coach Bob Bicknell made a crack about Cottam’s height. “I know it’s hard for you. You are tall. You are, like, 11-feet tall.” Cottam is listed at 6’7”.
Running back Jamaal Charles coughed up the first fumble of training camp during 11-on-11. This seemed to make Head Coach Todd Haley irate. Haley made the entire team take a jog. When they returned from their jog, Haley said, “We don’t go through the motions! If you want to go through the motions you’ll be (freaking) 2-14 again!” to some defensive players as they jogged by.
Wide receiver Devard Darling made a stumbling sideline catch during 11-on-11 that got some “ooh’s” and “ahh’s” from the crowd. Later, in the same drill, wide receiver Terrance Copper got drilled as he was coming across the middle and still managed to hold on to the ball.
Head Coach Todd Haley got on quarterback Brodie Croyle during the 7-on-7 pass skelly when Croyle was too slow getting his unit to the line. “Offense! Let’s go. Quicker! That is too slow, Brodie!”
In an interview after practice, wide receiver Dwayne Bowe stated that the offense was making some great improvements in practice. According to Bowe, quarterback Matt Cassel is “a great leader. He doesn’t let anybody fail. If you fall down, he is right there to pick you back up.” Bowe also commented on how the coaches wanted him and Cassel to get together early and often to get comfortable with each other and work on their game. “We’ve done that, and it’s working well,” he said. When asked about the pressure of continuing to produce at a high level, especially with the departure of all-pro tight end Tony Gonzales, Bowe replied, “Nah…I don’t call it pressure. I call it fun!” The Chiefs added veteran Bobby Engram to their wide receivers roster this year, and Bowe is rooming with him during camp. It was obvious in Bowe’s comments that he looks up to Engram and has already been learning a lot from him over the past few weeks.
Wide receiver Jeff Webb stopped by to talk to reporters after practice. “I feel great,” the fourth-year player out of San Diego State said. “I'm looking forward to the opportunity.” He said his confidence is up, and he is gelling well with quarterback Matt Cassel. Cassel and Webb worked out at USC together during the off-season. “The starting job is all I want. I am not aiming any higher or lower,” Webb responded when asked how the competition is going.

big nasty kcnut
08-02-2009, 03:16 AM
It's early. Be positive.
Posted via Mobile Device

Smed1065
08-02-2009, 03:28 AM
I am but not just Bowe now? Just a concern....... Like O line.

We need all to stand up this year!

RippedmyFlesh
08-02-2009, 05:59 AM
tackle Cameron Goldberg knocked linebacker Tamba Hali over pretty handedly

That is disturbing. Who is Cameron Goldberg?

milkman
08-02-2009, 06:07 AM
tackle Cameron Goldberg knocked linebacker Tamba Hali over pretty handedly

That is disturbing. Who is Cameron Goldberg?

He's a UDFA that played for Duke.

Started a lot of games there at LT, but he's 6'6" tall, and only weighs 265.

Disturbing?
Maybe.

Surprising?
No.

the Talking Can
08-02-2009, 06:32 AM
If you want to go through the motions you’ll be (freaking) 2-14 again!”

i think it's hilarious halioli rubs their noses in it....

TRR
08-02-2009, 06:53 AM
The drops sound like a lot when reading this article, but at camp they seem few and far between.

A couple of tidbits I've noticed is that Tamba Hali is going to get after the passer, and won't be dropping much in coverage unless completely neccesary. He and Vrabel seem to make up a pretty good combo on the outside.

Taurus Johnson has flashed a couple of times as well as Devard Darling. The starters continue to be Bowe, Bradley, and Engram in the slot. Cottam has been starting at TE.
Posted via Mobile Device

Pasta Little Brioni
08-02-2009, 07:45 AM
It may indeed be a concern, but it's the first day of training camp and you can expect some drops.

TEX
08-02-2009, 09:44 AM
Wonder if Croyle got hurt after handing the ball off?

TRR
08-02-2009, 09:49 AM
Wonder if Croyle got hurt after handing the ball off?

Lol! It was kind of funny that both Thigpen and Croyle looked pretty bad with the second team, but picked apart the third team defense with ease.

It's amazing now to think Herm ever thought Croyle could be a legitimate starter in this league (hell I even went along with it). He has the arm, but EVERYTHING else is just not there.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bwana
08-02-2009, 11:01 AM
It's amazing now to think Herm ever thought Croyle could be a legitimate starter in this league

Herm was "amazing."

Buehler445
08-02-2009, 01:37 PM
I'm much much more concerned about the OL owning the DL.

MUCH more concerned.
Posted via Mobile Device