PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Thigpen Leads the Pack

Smed1065
08-02-2009, 03:39 AM
Could not resist...:evil:

During running drills anyway....And before you say that other guy is in front of him, Tyler Thigpen (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/19416/Tyler_Thigpen) inches ahead in the next few photos.
Presumably, this shot is from the team's 200 yard penalty run (http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2009/8/1/972273/fumble-at-a-chiefs-practice-run). Todd Haley ordered the run after a Jamaal Charles (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/34464/Jamaal_Charles) fumble. Or, actually, more than likely it's from the team sprints.

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2009/8/1/972400/thigpen-leads-the-pack

Fritz88
08-02-2009, 04:26 AM
get ready for neg reps :D

Smed1065
08-02-2009, 04:28 AM
It was a Chiefs article?

It was in reference to running not throwing. :rolleyes:

RippedmyFlesh
08-02-2009, 05:55 AM
And Smed1065 (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/member.php?u=3216) leads the pack for misleading threads

TRR
08-02-2009, 06:54 AM
Tyler Thigpen was running with the 3rd team behind Croyle in Saturday's afternoon practice. Thigpen did look better on Saturday afternoon...
Posted via Mobile Device

Delano
08-02-2009, 06:59 AM
Tyler Thigpen was running with the 3rd team behind Croyle in Saturday's afternoon practice. Thigpen did look better on Saturday afternoon...
Posted via Mobile Device

Interesting, thanks. Keep the updates coming.

donkhater
08-02-2009, 09:07 AM
I like Thigpen. The kid was put in a tough situation last year and handled it better than I think many of us thought he would. He isn't seasoned and definately can develop more, but he now has starting experience under his belt, is athletic with an above average arm (IMO) and from all accounts has a good attitude.

What's not to like about him? Give a few years of adequate QB coaching (Peterson NEVER seemed to have decent ones on his coaching staff, save perhaps Paul Hackett) and he'll be a solid player that will be a good, solid QB capable of starting for stretches and maybe more.

allen_kcCard
08-02-2009, 09:23 AM
I've wondered if Thiggy could be of use as a returner. We already know he can run, and he can throw of course (even if this is called into question by some)...it would be interesting on kickoffs if he were one of a pair of returners out there.

When the kick is fielded and Thiggy takes it, have the other guy shoot out to one side and stay behind him on the field, making it obvious that a lateral could be in play...even if they NEVER throw the lateral, there will have to be at least one person from the kickoff team, likely more than one, that has to flank out to account for that, taking them completely out of the play and being essentially the best block anyone could make since they wouldn't even be in the area. Then, if a team doesn't account for that other return man, he has the arm to get the ball over there quickly enough that the guy could get it and shoot the other side of the field.

Maybe over simplified, but as long as he wasn't a liability in the idea of a returner, I could see where it could spread out the defenders some to make some more holes for himself, if the possibility of that lateral were always present.

Reerun_KC
08-02-2009, 09:42 AM
I've wondered if Thigpen could be of use as a returner. We already know he can run, and he can throw of course (even if this is called into question by some)...it would be interesting on kickoffs if he were one of a pair of returners out there.

When the kick is fielded and Thigpen takes it, have the other guy shoot out to one side and stay behind him on the field, making it obvious that a lateral could be in play...even if they NEVER throw the lateral, there will have to be at least one person from the kickoff team, likely more than one, that has to flank out to account for that, taking them completely out of the play and being essentially the best block anyone could make since they wouldn't even be in the area. Then, if a team doesn't account for that other return man, he has the arm to get the ball over there quickly enough that the guy could get it and shoot the other side of the field.

Maybe over simplified, but as long as he wasn't a liability in the idea of a returner, I could see where it could spread out the defenders some to make some more holes for himself, if the possibility of that lateral were always present.

:spock:

Did you seriously put thought into this?

allen_kcCard
08-02-2009, 09:49 AM
Not really, but I don't see why it wouldn't work....better than him holding a clipboard on the sideline thinking about getting home to pull the skeletons out of the closet.

TRR
08-02-2009, 09:52 AM
Not really, but I don't see why it wouldn't work....better than him holding a clipboard on the sideline thinking about getting home to pull the skeletons out of the closet.

I think most tend to overrate Thigpen's speed. He's a nifty, agile runner, but straight line speed isn't that of a kick returner IMO. I do agree that he can be used in some gadget plays, flea flickers, etc!
Posted via Mobile Device

chiefzilla1501
08-02-2009, 09:52 AM
I've wondered if Thigpen could be of use as a returner. We already know he can run, and he can throw of course (even if this is called into question by some)...it would be interesting on kickoffs if he were one of a pair of returners out there.

When the kick is fielded and Thigpen takes it, have the other guy shoot out to one side and stay behind him on the field, making it obvious that a lateral could be in play...even if they NEVER throw the lateral, there will have to be at least one person from the kickoff team, likely more than one, that has to flank out to account for that, taking them completely out of the play and being essentially the best block anyone could make since they wouldn't even be in the area. Then, if a team doesn't account for that other return man, he has the arm to get the ball over there quickly enough that the guy could get it and shoot the other side of the field.

You're basically suggesting that every time Thigpen gets the ball, you consider running a screen pass with a thousand different tacklers on the field. The gimmick wouldn't work often, and when you're not running the gimmick, you have an inexperienced, slow returnman.

Now, if we're on the subject of gimmicks, I think it's possibly you might see Thigpen used in some wildcat sets. Now, that's an interesting option, because it's very similar to the spread we ran last year. I wouldn't expect to see that set run more than a few times per game, but it wouldn't surprise me if we did it.

allen_kcCard
08-02-2009, 09:54 AM
No....return game only is what I was talking about...not gadget plays.

I guess the question would be if his straight line speed is drastically slower than a typical returner.

Ahh, read your post better...but still, I think when you look at a return play vs. a regular play, the return game has thousands of tacklers, as you say, but all of them are honing in on a single point, other than the built in gap discipline to avoid getting caught in a cutback or change to the other side of the field. If he was in the return it would just compound that and keep the field even more spread.

chiefzilla1501
08-02-2009, 09:56 AM
No....return game only is what I was talking about...not gadget plays.

I guess the question would be if his straight line speed is drastically slower than a typical returner.

It most definitely is. His straight line speed is good for a QB. But for a WR/RB, he's slow.

milkman
08-02-2009, 09:58 AM
Not to mention the fact that you really don't want to risk injury to your backup QB who you may need in case of injury to your starter.

Rain Man
08-02-2009, 10:02 AM
Yeah, I like Thigpen in a wildcat-type of deal, but not as a returner.

Gdaddy
08-02-2009, 10:24 AM
:spock:

Did you seriously put thought into this?

What about Linn Elliot as kick returner....He couldnt kick an extra point but he sure did run out of town fast, right?

Fire Me Boy!
08-02-2009, 11:02 AM
I like Thigpen. The kid was put in a tough situation last year and handled it better than I think many of us thought he would. He isn't seasoned and definately can develop more, but he now has starting experience under his belt, is athletic with an above average arm (IMO) and from all accounts has a good attitude.

What's not to like about him? Give a few years of adequate QB coaching (Peterson NEVER seemed to have decent ones on his coaching staff, save perhaps Paul Hackett) and he'll be a solid player that will be a good, solid QB capable of starting for stretches and maybe more.

Terry Shea?

Bwana
08-02-2009, 11:05 AM
What about Linn Elliot as kick returner....He couldnt kick an extra point but he sure did run out of town fast, right?

On no you didn't!

JuicesFlowing
08-02-2009, 11:19 AM
Could not resist...:evil:

During running drills anyway....And before you say that other guy is in front of him, Tyler Thigpen (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/19416/Tyler_Thigpen) inches ahead in the next few photos.
Presumably, this shot is from the team's 200 yard penalty run (http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2009/8/1/972273/fumble-at-a-chiefs-practice-run). Todd Haley ordered the run after a Jamaal Charles (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/34464/Jamaal_Charles) fumble. Or, actually, more than likely it's from the team sprints.

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2009/8/1/972400/thigpen-leads-the-pack

Not this shit again!!!!! Blue Bonnet strikes again!!!!!!

Thig Lyfe
08-02-2009, 11:37 AM
TYLER THIGPEN CAN PLAY ANY POSITION, ANY TIME!!!!