PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Gretz: Camp Practice Update 8/2 P.M.

aturnis
08-02-2009, 04:35 PM
Camp Practice Update 8/2 P.M. (http://www.bobgretz.com/chiefs-football/camp-practice-update-82-pm.html)
August 2, 2009 - Bob Gretz |

From River Falls, Wisconsin

There was only one practice Sunday in the northwoods, but it was a long one, as Todd Haley worked the team for over two hours under partly sunny skies and warm temperatures.

“When we have one practice they are going to be longer, it was all part of the thought process of having two a day and then come back with a longer practice,” Haley said. “It’s a little bit more of a conditioning drill, and that’s why we did some of that at the end. That’s the name of the game, as you get tired, you must be able to focus and concentrate to do your job. It’s something that we can’t stress enough and we must continue to educate the players that you cannot make mistakes when you are tired.”

A lot of the head coach’s time during individual position drills was with the wide receivers, as they went through the fundamentals of running pass routes and body control.

“We’ve had guys on the ground and the receiver is no good to anyone if he’s laying on the ground,” Haley said. “Whether it’s the right shoes, improper technique, whatever, a wide receiver cannot be on the ground and help you win in any way, shape or form.

“If they are slipping and falling out there, then we have to do something about it.”

Returning to practice from the NFI List were LG Brian Waters, RG Mike Goff, NT Ron Edwards and DE Dion Gales.

Still out of practice were: ILB Derrick Johnson, ILB Demorrio Williams, RT Damion McIntosh, G Edwin Harrison, RB Kolby Smith, DE Glenn Dorsey and TE Jake O’Connell. All but Harrison were working with the rehab team on the field during practice.

Some other observations and notes from practice:

- Haley on return of Waters and Goff: “I was excited to see them. They are both potential difference makers for us, I believe.” Haley would not confirm whether the guards failed the conditioning test, or took another one, or how they were able to get back onto the practice field.

- LT Branden Albert on the return of Waters and Goff: “It was great having the two wise men back.”

- The team again ran a live goal-line segment of practice and on the first play, RB Larry Johnson was crunched by tacklers, including a big shot from SS Bernard Pollard. Johnson later leaped over the top in an attempt to score. RB Jamaal Charles had a nice TD run to the pylon. FB Jed Collins caught a TD pass out of a goal line play near the back of the end zone, beating S Mike Brown.

- K Ryan Succop hit all four of his FG attempts in the practice. P Dustin Colquitt also kicked and looked good with several high hang-time kicks and only two shanks. WRs Rodney Wright and Quinten Lawrence were again returning punts.

- Long snapper Tanner Purdum did not have a good day, as he had two high snaps to Colquitt, including one that the punter had to leap to corral.

- TE Brad Cottam had a Tony Gonzalez like catch down the deep middle, snagging it with one hand over his head and then pulling the ball in. Probably his best catch as a member of the Chiefs.

- In one-on-one pass protection, Waters struggled in his first go against NT Tank Tyler and came up limping afterwards. He went back in and worked another series of snaps later in the drill.

- In other pass rush-protection snaps, C Eric Ghiaciuc did a good job against NT Derek Lokey, G Wade Smith and DE Alex Magee had a good battle over three snaps. Magee showed a second move on one rush that was impressive for a rookie. OLB Tamba Hali just embarrassed rookie T Cameron Goldberg, blowing past him three striaght times. OLB Pierre Walters had a nice inside rush on LT Branden Albert.

- ILB Zach Thomas got very deep in pass coverage and broke up a throw in the middle of the field. Good drop and good reactions from Thomas.

- During the team work, Hali forced QB Matt Cassel out of the pocket with a strong rush and Cassel finished the play with a very bad slide. QB Tyler Thigpen had a nice completion to Lawrence with pressure right in his grill. WR Taurus Johnson dropped a nice throw from QB Brodie Croyle.

Titty Meat
08-02-2009, 04:37 PM
Camp Practice Update 8/2 P.M. (http://www.bobgretz.com/chiefs-football/camp-practice-update-82-pm.html)

FB Jed Collins caught a TD pass out of a goal line play near the back of the end zone, beating S Mike Brown.

Ouch babe

Hammock Parties
08-02-2009, 04:41 PM
Note how there is about zero talk of trading Waters now.

aturnis
08-02-2009, 04:48 PM
Waters, Goff, Edwards return to practice (http://chiefsblog.kansascity.com/?q=node/882)

Brian Waters, Mike Goff and Ron Edwards returned to practice today after they were withheld from practice the day before. Each failed the team's conditioning test. All three took their spots in the starting lineup, Waters at left guard, Goff at right guard and Edwards at nose tackle.

Coach Todd Haley refuse to say whether Waters, Goff and Edwards passed the conditioning test after taking it a second time.

Glenn Dorsey and Damion McIntosh were still with the conditioning group and did not practice.

Mr. Krab
08-02-2009, 04:49 PM
Returning to practice from the NFI List were LG Brian Waters, RG Mike Goff, NT Ron Edwards and DE Dion Gales. (http://www.bobgretz.com/chiefs-football/camp-practice-update-82-pm.html)
I smell BS. How in the heck did Waters,Goff and Edwards improve their conditioning in 1 day? :rolleyes:

Mr. Krab
08-02-2009, 04:51 PM
Ouch babeTranslation, i like Pollard and am going to point out every flaw of Mike Brown in a passive, aggressive move to pimp Pollard.

rockymtnchief
08-02-2009, 04:51 PM
The team again ran a live goal-line segment of practice and on the first play, RB Larry Johnson was crunched by tacklers, including a big shot from SS Bernard Pollard.
OH NOES!!!-GoChiefs

aturnis
08-02-2009, 04:52 PM
Well, he said that there wasn't anyone who wasn't close. Maybe they just tried harder. Or maybe, like I said in another thread, they were just held out to see how some of the younger guys did. There were reports that Pioli kept a close eye on the oline yesterday. Maybe Mac isn't back b/c they wanted to see Herbie have some extra snaps.

aturnis
08-02-2009, 04:54 PM
Translation, i like Pollard and am going to point out every flaw of Mike Brown in a passive, aggressive move to pimp Pollard.

Actually, I think Billay dislikes Pollard. Doesn't matter though, I would do the opposite of what Billay says anyway. Good way to be successful...

Shag
08-02-2009, 05:01 PM
- The team again ran a live goal-line segment of practice and on the first play, RB Larry Johnson was crunched by tacklers, including a big shot from SS Bernard Pollard. Johnson later leaped over the top in an attempt to score. RB Jamaal Charles had a nice TD run to the pylon. FB Jed Collins caught a TD pass out of a goal line play near the back of the end zone, beating S Mike Brown.

Pollard let out a huge "All fucking day, n***er!!" after that play, which got some uncomfortable looks from the crowd, lol.

- Long snapper Tanner Purdum did not have a good day, as he had two high snaps to Colquitt, including one that the punter had to leap to corral.

He also had one go over his head and hit the crossbar. Hope that's not a trend.

- TE Brad Cottam had a Tony Gonzalez like catch down the deep middle, snagging it with one hand over his head and then pulling the ball in. Probably his best catch as a member of the Chiefs.

Cottom looked pretty good today, outside of a bad drop in the 7v9 drill. The one-handed catch was great, and was during a cool drill - there were 5 receivers in the pattern, and 5 people throwing to them (3 QBs, and 2 coaches). After the snap, you had all sorts of different drops, and footballs flying everywhere. It was really fun to watch.

- During the team work, Hali forced QB Matt Cassel out of the pocket with a strong rush and Cassel finished the play with a very bad slide.

WTF is a "very bad slide"? It was like a quick baseball slide - short, and popped right back up. It was fine. What a weird comment.

Hammock Parties
08-02-2009, 05:04 PM
Pollard's classy.

LaChapelle
08-02-2009, 05:06 PM
Harrison spotted in River Falls -Smed?

TRR
08-02-2009, 05:20 PM
Translation, i like Pollard and am going to point out every flaw of Mike Brown in a passive, aggressive move to pimp Pollard.

Jed Collins beat Ricky Price in the back of the endzone fwiw. Brown was on the sideline that play. Everyone keeps thinking Brown is wearing a 30's # but he is offically #48.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hammock Parties
08-02-2009, 05:20 PM
Jed Collins beat Ricky Price in the back of the endzone fwiw. Brown was on the sideline that play. Everyone keeps thinking Brown is wearing a 30's # but he is offically #48.
Posted via Mobile Device

And the TROOF will set you FREE.

Shag
08-02-2009, 05:21 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

And he looks tiny out there. He's listed at 5'10", but he looked smaller than that...

TRR
08-02-2009, 09:15 PM
And he looks tiny out there. He's listed at 5'10", but he looked smaller than that...

I agree. I didn't know Brown was capable of playing the strong safety spot as he has spent most of his time at FS with the Bears. Either way, he looks like he has the range to make some plays!!
Posted via Mobile Device

RustShack
08-02-2009, 09:17 PM
Harrison spotted in River Falls -Smed?

?

DaneMcCloud
08-02-2009, 09:19 PM
[/url]
I smell BS. How in the heck did Waters,Goff and Edwards improve their conditioning in 1 day? :rolleyes:

Haley was just "penalizing" them in front of the whole team for not showing up in shape.

Scarlett Letter, Motherfuckers.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-02-2009, 09:30 PM
Ouch babe

Oh but WAIT, Dickhead-Fred; there's plenty more where that came from!

The horn sounded at 3:23 p.m. and everyone got a small water break. After the break, 11-on-11 began. Seeing time with the first-string was: linebackers Tamba Hali, Zach Thomas, Mike Vrabel and Monty Beisel; cornerbacks Brandon Carr and Brandon Flowers, safeties Bernard Pollard and Jarrad Page, defensive ends Alex Magee and Alfonso Boone and defensive tackle Ron Edwards.

Well, I guess we know who was sent to Fetch-A Sake, now DON'T WE!

Bitch!:D

Hammock Parties
08-02-2009, 09:32 PM
It's the second day of training camp. Pollard is the incumbent starter. There's no way Brown is going to be out there.....YET.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-02-2009, 09:33 PM

No, that would be ME, minus the passive-aggressive method.

And how long will it last you ask?:D

"ALL DAY LONG, N*****"!

DaneMcCloud
It's the second day of training camp. Pollard is the incumbent starter. There's no way Brown is going to be out there.....YET.

Brown will get a hang-nail and start the season on the PUP

Hammock Parties
If Pollard actually PANS OUT that quote will become famous.

And I'll be yelling it after every play he makes.

DaneMcCloud
08-02-2009, 09:34 PM
If Pollard actually PANS OUT that quote will become famous.

And I'll be yelling it after every play he makes.

Famous for being a racist

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-02-2009, 09:36 PM
I agree. I didn't know Brown was capable of playing the strong safety spot as he has spent most of his time at FS with the Bears. Either way, he looks like he has the range to make some plays!!
Posted via Mobile Device''

I didn't know he was a Free Safety.

Contest over, see ya' Jarred!ROFL

Hammock Parties
08-02-2009, 09:37 PM
Famous for being a racist

You think a black man dropping an N-bomb is racist? Really? In this day and age?

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-02-2009, 09:39 PM
Aaaaaand here's BROKIE:

Due to some good defense, quarterback Brodie Croyle threw an incompletion to wide receiver Taurus Johnson.

Yep, that's it. Nothing else in the article.

DaneMcCloud
08-02-2009, 09:42 PM
You think a black man dropping an N-bomb is racist? Really? In this day and age?

Absolutely

Hammock Parties
08-02-2009, 09:44 PM
Maybe you'd like Herm back. I'm sure he wouldn't have settled for that kind of language from one of his players.

DaneMcCloud
08-02-2009, 09:46 PM
Maybe you'd like Herm back. I'm sure he wouldn't have settled for that kind of language from one of his players.

Oh, Fuck Off.

If Vrabel was out there calling everyone "Whitey" or "Crackers", he'd be labeled a racist, too.

JFC.

Hammock Parties
08-02-2009, 09:50 PM
Oh, Fuck Off.

If Vrabel was out there calling everyone "Whitey" or "Crackers", he'd be labeled a racist, too.

JFC.

ROFL

Just pushing buttons. :D

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-02-2009, 09:52 PM
Pollard's classy.

Really? I can think of someone right off the top of my head who's been even "classier".

Would you care to take a guess as to who that might be? Huh, would ya?

I TOLD YOU motherfucker! But would you listen? Fuck no you wouldn't, and today you pay the price!

Let's have another reading, shall we?

(http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=5942637#post5942637)
- The team again ran a live goal-line segment of practice and on the first play, RB Larry Johnson was crunched by tacklers, including a big shot from SS Bernard Pollard.

FB Jed Collins caught a TD pass out of a goal line play near the back of the end zone, beating S Mike Brown.

Pollard let out a huge "All fucking day, n***er!!" after that play, which got some uncomfortable looks from the crowd, lol.

Right On, Brother! Right On!
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w221/blackpower_89/zzzzzzzzzxxxxxxxx.jpg
:fire:

wild1
08-02-2009, 09:55 PM
Haley on return of Waters and Goff: “I was excited to see them. They are both potential difference makers for us, I believe.” Haley would not confirm whether the guards failed the conditioning test, or took another one, or how they were able to get back onto the practice field.

I like that they aren't giving the media anything. Let them speculate, but in-house business is in-house business.

Hammock Parties
08-02-2009, 09:55 PM
Dude, that's weak. Of course he got crunched. Every running back gets crunched on the goal line.

Call me when Pollard blows him up in the open field. Til then, remember what happened on the first day:

http://i31.tinypic.com/2d77uj4.jpg

PS - It wasn't Mike Brown, either. The author made an error.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-02-2009, 09:56 PM
Dude, that's weak. Of course he got crunched. Every running back gets crunched on the goal line.

Call me when Pollard blows him up in the open field. Til then, remember what happened on the first day:

http://i31.tinypic.com/2d77uj4.jpg

If I'm weak, that's fucking pathetic.

Hammock Parties
08-02-2009, 09:57 PM
If I'm weak, that's fucking pathetic.

Well, it IS Pollard.

:evil:

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-02-2009, 10:05 PM
Football by Wendler:

"Running backs are expected to fail at goal-line stands"!

"850 season tackles mean shit, but 850 season yards from your Pro Bowl Running Back is awesome"!

:rolleyes::loser::fire:

Hammock Parties
08-02-2009, 10:07 PM
Football by Wendler:

"Running backs are expected to fail at goal-line stands"!

That's NOT what I said.

I've seen Larry score a touchdown and get knocked on his ass. It happens all the time.

The fact that Pollard jacked his shit up in a close-quarters play isn't notable.

Do it in the open field instead of falling on your ass. THEN I'll be impressed.

(man we got 20 days of this shit left :evil:)

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-02-2009, 10:10 PM

And I hope your boy brought his Wheaties for eatin'.

Pitt Gorilla
08-02-2009, 10:13 PM
- In one-on-one pass protection, Waters struggled in his first go against NT Tank Tyler and came up limping afterwards. He went back in and worked another series of snaps later in the drill.
That sounds promising. I hope Tank can get to the QB a few times this year.

Titty Meat
08-03-2009, 02:29 AM

Do you read the threads?

CoMoChief
08-03-2009, 08:54 AM
Christ our WR's fuckin blow.

TEX
08-03-2009, 10:27 AM
That's NOT what I said.

I've seen Larry score a touchdown and get knocked on his ass. It happens all the time.

The fact that Pollard jacked his shit up in a close-quarters play isn't notable.

Do it in the open field instead of falling on your ass. THEN I'll be impressed.

Exactly. Pollard has always been known as a "thumper." Problem is he is S-L-O-W and misses alot in the open field. Dude blows.

Micjones
08-03-2009, 10:30 AM
Christ our WR's fuckin blow.

Some of them might soon be called something other than Wide Receiver if the drops continue.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-03-2009, 10:35 AM
Exactly. Pollard has always been known as a "thumper." Problem is he is S-L-O-W and misses alot in the open field. Dude blows.

You blow.

Some of them might soon be called something other than Wide Receiver if the drops continue.

But don't call Jones! He's a coke-head! He's bad news!

-King-
08-03-2009, 10:50 AM
If Mike Brown takes the safety position, and Hali isn't panning out, how about Pollard at OLB?

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-03-2009, 10:52 AM
If Mike Brown takes the safety position, and Hali isn't panning out, how about Pollard at OLB?

Prepare to get blasted.

Mecca
08-03-2009, 10:54 AM

He's not big enough...especially for a 3-4 OLB where guys are bigger at the position. Derrick Johnson is kinda small for the scheme we're switching too.

Mr. Kotter
08-03-2009, 10:54 AM

He'd be way undersized; he's not big enough for an OLB in a 3-4. Better suited for an ILB in a 3-4, if at all.

Mecca
08-03-2009, 10:56 AM
He'd be way undersized; he's not big enough for an OLB in a 3-4. Better suited for an ILB in a 3-4, if at all.

Even then have you seen the LB's in 3-4's? Even the inside guys, they are hugely ripped balls of muscle that weigh in the 250 range.

-King-
08-03-2009, 11:04 AM
True, hadn't really thought about his size. Just the fact that he can blitz and would be better suited in coverage than hali.

Hammock Parties
08-03-2009, 11:05 AM
I think Pollard should be converted to waterboy.

Mecca
08-03-2009, 11:06 AM
True, hadn't really thought about his size. Just the fact that he can blitz and would be better suited in coverage than hali.

I don't think there are very many players playing now that will still be playing here when the defense is good...

-King-
08-03-2009, 11:08 AM
I don't think there are very many players playing now that will still be playing here when the defense is good...

Yeah, only for sures really are the Brandons, Tyson, and maybe DJ.

Mecca
08-03-2009, 11:10 AM
Yeah, only for sures really are the Brandons, Tyson, and maybe DJ.

DJ's game just doesn't speak to the defense they are trying to put in. DJ likes to run free and make plays, he's the prototypical 3-4 guy that would look good on a team like Chicago or Washington..

He didn't gain any weight so he's still like 240 and kind of soft looking, I just don't see him being able to consistently handle blockers or enjoying doing it.

Mr. Krab
08-03-2009, 11:12 AM
So we are going to take a safety that can't tackle and convert him to LB?

Mecca
08-03-2009, 11:12 AM
Pollard should be converted to backup safety special teams player.

He basically should have Jon McGraws role.

Hammock Parties
08-03-2009, 11:16 AM
DJ's game just doesn't speak to the defense they are trying to put in. DJ likes to run free and make plays, he's the prototypical 3-4 guy that would look good on a team like Chicago or Washington..

He didn't gain any weight so he's still like 240 and kind of soft looking, I just don't see him being able to consistently handle blockers or enjoying doing it.

1. I have already explained his new role is all ABOUT running free. In fact, DJ himself has confirmed this. The Chiefs are not running a typical 3-4.

2. The coaching staff actually had him LOSE weight. He's down to 237.

Mecca
08-03-2009, 11:17 AM
1. I have already explained his new role is all ABOUT running free. In fact, DJ himself has confirmed this. The Chiefs are not running a typical 3-4.

2. The coaching staff actually had him LOSE weight. He's down to 237.

We'll see how long that lasts, I don't think Clancy Pendergast or some hybrid 3-4 are the long term defensive plans.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-03-2009, 11:29 AM
I think Pollard should be converted to waterboy.

I think you should grow a penis and let your balls drop before making dumb assed comments like the one above.

The Pollard-haters are living in a fucking dream world, and they will NOT get their wish to see him moved to Special Teams exclusively.

Too bad, so sad; eat fuck pie.

-King-
08-03-2009, 11:45 AM
Off topic, but I've noticed the Claythan virgin jokes have kind of stopped, did the little fella get some?

Hammock Parties
08-03-2009, 11:46 AM
Off topic, but I've noticed the Claythan virgin jokes have kind of stopped, did the little fella get some?

THIS IS A CAMP THREAD

:cuss:

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-03-2009, 11:48 AM

Yeah, he's been "Cougar'd".