PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Q&A with TODD HALEY - 8/2

aturnis
08-02-2009, 05:22 PM
Q&A with TODD HALEY - 8/2 (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2009/08/02/qa_with_todd_haley__82/) (<-- link)
Aug 02, 2009, 6:06:18 PM

Q: Branden Albert said it was nice to have, ‘the two wise men’ back: Waters and Goff. How did they look out there in pads?

TODD HALEY: “I thought they looked very good. I was excited to see them. They’re both potential difference makers for us, I believe.”

Q: Did they have to test their way back, or how did you make a determination they were ready?

HALEY: “Again, I’m going to leave details out. As I’ve said, we’ve had a number of guys that were on the PUP out of the gate and in various different ways they became active again. They were ready to go. As I said, it didn’t appear it was going to be a long term thing for either one of them. We also got Ron Edwards back and Dion Gales, the defensive end.”

Q: Was fatigue a little bit of a factor today? I heard one of the assistant coaches yell, ‘concentrate’ when guys were getting tired as today’s session went a little bit longer.

HALEY: “Yeah, the one-a-days are going to be longer. That was all part of the thought process, two-a-days then we come back to a longer one-a-day. It’s a little bit more of a conditioning deal. That’s why at the end you saw us running those two drills. That’s the name of the game. As you get tired you must be able to focus and concentrate and do your job. It’s something we can’t stress enough as coaches and we educate the players on how important that is that you’re not making mistakes when you’re tired. When you’re tired it’s usually late in games or late in drives after a long drive either way. That’s when stuff like that generally occurs and ends up costing you points or wins.”

Q: Dwayne Bowe has had some problems in the past dropping balls. Is it a concentration issue?

HALEY: “To play receiver in the NFL I think you must catch most of the footballs. If you don’t catch most of them – and there’s always going to be some balls that end up on the ground for one reason or the other – to be an NFL receiver you must be able to catch the football. That’s the top prerequisite for wide receiver. It’s not just Dwayne, it’s any wide receiver who is out there. They must concentrate and catch the football whether they’re going to take a hit, or whether they’re on the sideline and they have to get their feet in, or it’s an easy ball over the middle that they’ve got to concentrate, or it’s a deep ball, that’s the job description.”

Q: Is Tanner Purdum giving you the consistency that you’re looking for out of the deep snapper?

HALEY: “No, not yet. I saw a high one today; I believe it was him. He’s got to continue to hone his skills as are the other guys who are working at it pretty hard to try to compete for the job.”

Q: Last year’s team had trouble getting to the quarterback. How important will it be this year to get pressure and what about this defense makes you think you can get more pressure?

HALEY: “Getting to the quarterback is obviously critical to success on defense. You must be able to create pressure and havoc in the backfield one way or the other whether you’re getting sacks or not. We’ve added some players that should help us, whether it’s a Mike Vrabel or some young guys that should be developing a little bit to become better pass rushers. We’re coaching them hard on technique to improve. Scheme-wise if we can’t get to him with a four man rush then we’re going to have to do some things to create some pressure schematically. We’ll continue to work and see if we’re making progress. They got some pressure today on the offense, I know that.”

Q: Along those lines what kind of progress is a guy like Tamba Hali making and Turk McBride too?

HALEY: “I think they’re making good progress. We’ve got some guys to help them – guys who have been through the same type deal. One of our summer intern coaches is a guy named Anthony Pleasant who has played in a defense similar to this and who was a great technique guy for14 years in the league. These guys are hungry and they want to learn; they’re paying attention.”

Q: Can you give us an update on your number one draft pick?

HALEY: “Talking only about the players that are on the football field actually practicing.”

Q: Can you describe some of the footwork and agility drills you are doing that are specific?

HALEY: “The way we are going to coach is the details, the little things, the fundamental basics. As I’ve said, it’s not rocket science. You can do it a number of different ways but there are some basics that have to be done all the time. One of those is fundamentals and if we feel like there is any slip in fundamentals then it’s our problem and we haven’t done a good job. We have to coach fundamentals and the basics all the time. You cannot assume that these guys have it.”

Q: Is that what you were doing with the wide receivers: body control on routes?

HALEY: “Yeah, we’ve had guys on the ground and a receiver is no good to anyone if he’s on the ground. Whether it’s the right shoes, improper technique, whatever it is, a wide receiver cannot be on the ground and help you win in any way, shape or form. If they’re slipping and falling out there we’ve got to do something about it and that’s why you saw a little attention to that.”

Q: When you were coaching in this game did you pay much attention to Derrick Thomas, who is going into the Hall of Fame this year?

HALEY: “Derrick Thomas is one of the all-time greats. As I was starting my scouting career with the Jets we had to play the Chiefs a couple of times. I was actually at the Hula Bowl, the college all-star game, when Derrick was out there. Saw him around the whole week. I was in college at that time but I obviously paid attention to those guys.

“The great story about Derrick Thomas to me is I was out there with my father who was actually scouting the game. But I went to the practices and the game and Derrick Thomas had a passport issue and they told him he was not going to be able to play. So, the night before the game he didn’t prepare as if he was going to play and I think he went out and had a good time. At 6 AM they came in and said, ‘you’re playing,’ and I think it was seven sacks later. That’s all you needed to see. One or the greats of all time rushing the passer, playing defense.”

aturnis
08-02-2009, 05:26 PM
Still having trouble getting the video to embed. Sorry.

DaneMcCloud
08-02-2009, 06:49 PM
Passport issue?

W
T
F
?
Posted via Mobile Device

Bwana
08-02-2009, 06:55 PM
Passport issue?

W
T
F
?
Posted via Mobile Device

This

chiefzilla1501
08-02-2009, 07:08 PM
I wonder how, once you take away the coachspeak, Haley really feels about Turk and Tamba. I have a feeling that neither of them are going to do well in a 3-4. And if they're not options... I don't know who we have opposite Vrabel.

milkman
08-02-2009, 07:11 PM
I wonder how, once you take away the coachspeak, Haley really feels about Turk and Tamba. I have a feeling that neither of them are going to do well in a 3-4. And if they're not options... I don't know who we have opposite Vrabel.

Monty Biesel!

To the ship!

Crush
08-02-2009, 07:13 PM
Monty Biesel!

To the ship!

Print 'em

booger
08-02-2009, 08:34 PM
In addition to Anthony Pleasant being an intern coach for the D, Haley mentioned Ritchie Anderson for the O. He was a former Parcells FB with the jets and cowboys. Pleasant was a longtime DL for Belichick.

Heard the part about Anderson from the video portion of this q/a.

dj56dt58
08-02-2009, 09:18 PM

This isn't Herm..if Haley didn't like Tamba/Turk he would have no problem saying so

DaneMcCloud
08-02-2009, 09:21 PM
This isn't Herm..if Haley didn't like Tamba/Turk he would have no problem saying so

I don't buy that.

It's not like he has much of a choice.

There were no impact (or even decent) outside linebackers available in free-agency and they chose not to draft and develop one or more this year (and it's a good thing - this year was weak).

Please, let's not act like everything the coach says is fucking a magic salve.

booger
08-02-2009, 09:23 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1251743

2nd year OLB/DE Vince Redd cut by pats. One of the 34 teams will take a look. Maybe KC. Looks to be about the same size as this years rookie FA Pierre Walters.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/transactions

Rain Man
08-02-2009, 09:26 PM
Passport issue?

W
T
F
?
Posted via Mobile Device

Either DT was Cuban, or he did really well in the 1958 Hula Bowl.

TRR
08-02-2009, 09:30 PM

As of right now, both Hali and McBride will do fine in their new roles because Pendergast isn't asking them to do too much. Hali is consistently getting after the passer, and only drops when the O is in a four WR set. Same goes for McBride. Either way, I believe Beisel can play all four LB spots in this defense (he is currently working for DJ inside while he is out). Plus, Demorrio Williams should be a versatile backup as well. As long as Zack Thomas and Mike Vrabel can stay healthy...I REALLY like our LB corp in this scheme.
Posted via Mobile Device

DaneMcCloud
08-02-2009, 09:32 PM
As of right now, both Hali and McBride will do fine in their new roles because Pendergast isn't asking them to do too much. Hali is consistently getting after the passer, and only drops when the O is in a four WR set. Same goes for McBride. Either way, I believe Beisel can play all four LB spots in this defense (he is currently working for DJ inside while he is out). Plus, Demorrio Williams should be a versatile backup as well. As long as Zack Thomas and Mike Vrabel can stay healthy...I REALLY like our LB corp in this scheme.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'd LOVE them if this were 1999.

2009? No so much.

chiefzilla1501
08-02-2009, 09:33 PM

I don't think it's that easy. That's the kind of question that I don't see many coaches answering candidly this early in the season. I'm sure that would be a comment that drives Pioli nuts--why tell your fans this early in the season that they should expect another season with a poor pass rush?

Haley probably won't sugarcoat things like Vermeil and Herm do, but don't doubt for a second that a big part of his job is to sell the team to the fans. Haley's been pretty consistent in pushing this idea that he's pushing players to get better and that they need to improve. I don't think he would send fans the message that there are some players who just don't have much room for improvement.

TRR
08-02-2009, 09:43 PM
I'd LOVE them if this were 1999.

2009? No so much.

1999 or 2009 it doesn't matter. Both Thomas and Vrabel are still productive players, and even though there skills aren't what they were, they still can play. Trust me on that.

Remember this team lined up Pat Thomas last year as a starter.
Posted via Mobile Device

DaneMcCloud
08-02-2009, 09:45 PM
1999 or 2009 it doesn't matter. Both Thomas and Vrabel are still productive players, and even though there skills aren't what they were, they still can play. Trust me on that.

Posted via Mobile Device

Vrabel may be a productive player but at age 34, that's yet to be seen. That's pretty fucking old for an outside linebacker.

Zach Thomas was a stellar MLB at one point during his career. He was awful in Dallas last year (ask ANY Cowboy fan) and while he's an upgrade for the Chiefs, that's isn't saying much.

Oh and BTW, you gave me Neg Rep last Training Camp for calling out Dorsey and his injuries.

Guess what? He's fucked up again this year.

Nice.

chiefzilla1501
08-02-2009, 09:51 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

The problem is that neither have the ability to play in space. A big appeal of the 3-4 is that both your OLBs at any point in time can drop back in coverage or play with their hands off the ground. Neither of these guys are going to be effective unless they get their hand on the ground--they are just not fast, explosive, or athletic enough to do it. Turk especially doesn't have the athleticism--he's more of a DE/DT tweener than an OLB/DE tweener. And given how critical it is for 3-4 OLBs to be good run stoppers, it frightens me to think that Hali might be tasked with doing that. I have a feeling you're going to see a lot of big runs ripped on whatever side Hali lines up on.

Beisel, and Zach Thomas and Vrabel at this stage in their career are pretty average stopgaps. It's something the Chiefs have to do because they have so many needs in so many positions, but I don't think any of them are going to do anything spectacular. I think you're right that we have a good enough core of LBs that are pass rush won't be as horrible as last year, but I don't think it's going to be particularly good.

chiefzilla1501
08-02-2009, 09:57 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

One of the major problems is, though, in a 3-4 defense, the LBs are only as good as the D-line. The job of the D-line is to occupy a bunch of blockers so LBs have gaps to shoot through.

I think Jackson's going to have a bit of a learning curve. And I'm skeptical about whether this is a great role for Dorsey. Most importantly, the Chiefs don't have a nose tackle, which is the heart and soul of a 3-4. Those guys often occupy up to 3 blockers.

From a pass rush standpoint, the biggest thing to worry about by far is that they're not going to have any lanes to run through and they'll have a lot of blockers that get to them.

Hammock Parties
08-02-2009, 10:04 PM
Zach Thomas was a stellar MLB at one point during his career. He was awful in Dallas last year (ask ANY Cowboy fan) and while he's an upgrade for the Chiefs, that's isn't saying much.

One thing about Thomas...he was playing RILB last year in Dallas. He's back at LILB with the Chiefs.

TRR
08-02-2009, 10:07 PM
Vrabel may be a productive player but at age 34, that's yet to be seen. That's pretty fucking old for an outside linebacker.

Oh and BTW, you gave me Neg Rep last Training Camp for calling out Dorsey and his injuries.

Guess what? He's fucked up again this year.

Nice.

I watched Thomas a lot last season for Dallas and he was mis-used...a reason he didn't want anything to do with playing in Dallas again, and I'm sure the feeling was mutual. He won't be asked to do anything but play to his strength's this season.

Are Thomas' and Vrabel's best years behind them? Sure they are...but it doesn't mean they can't help KC win games.

...And Dorsey didn't miss one game last season, and probably won't this season either. Neg rep deserved.
Posted via Mobile Device

TRR
08-02-2009, 10:11 PM
The problem is that neither have the ability to play in space. A big appeal of the 3-4 is that both your OLBs at any point in time can drop back in coverage or play with their hands off the ground. Neither of these guys are going to be effective unless they get their hand on the ground--they are just not fast, explosive, or athletic enough to do it. Turk especially doesn't have the athleticism--he's more of a DE/DT tweener than an OLB/DE tweener. And given how critical it is for 3-4 OLBs to be good run stoppers, it frightens me to think that Hali might be tasked with doing that. I have a feeling you're going to see a lot of big runs ripped on whatever side Hali lines up on.

Beisel, and Zach Thomas and Vrabel at this stage in their career are pretty average stopgaps. It's something the Chiefs have to do because they have so many needs in so many positions, but I don't think any of them are going to do anything spectacular. I think you're right that we have a good enough core of LBs that are pass rush won't be as horrible as last year, but I don't think it's going to be particularly good.

This isn't a true 3-4 scheme that Pendergast runs. He is really asking for Vrabel and Hali to get pressure on the QB first and foremost (at least that's what he is showing in training camp.) Hali has looked good in space making a couple of plays on the ball in space. But like I said previously...he is really being moved around, looking to get after the passer...a good role for Hali.
Posted via Mobile Device

ArrowheadHawk
08-02-2009, 10:16 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1251743

2nd year OLB/DE Vince Redd cut by pats. One of the 34 teams will take a look. Maybe KC. Looks to be about the same size as this years rookie FA Pierre Walters.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/transactions
WTF? 34 teams? More like 32.

RustShack
08-02-2009, 10:23 PM

USC and Florida are going Pro.

chiefzilla1501
08-02-2009, 10:29 PM
This isn't a true 3-4 scheme that Pendergast runs. He is really asking for Vrabel and Hali to get pressure on the QB first and foremost (at least that's what he is showing in training camp.) Hali has looked good in space making a couple of plays on the ball in space. But like I said previously...he is really being moved around, looking to get after the passer...a good role for Hali.
Posted via Mobile Device

Admittedly, I don't know a whole lot about Pendergast's scheme. But doesn't this suggest that Pendergast is essentially going to have 5 linemen on every snap going after the QB? And do we have any track record of what Pendergast will do on a 3-4? I thought his experience was in running a 4-3.

Hammock Parties
08-02-2009, 10:31 PM
Admittedly, I don't know a whole lot about Pendergast's scheme. But doesn't this suggest that Pendergast is essentially going to have 5 linemen on every snap going after the QB? And do we have any track record of what Pendergast will do on a 3-4? I thought his experience was in running a 4-3.

The Chiefs are running the same 4-3 under scheme the Cardinals ran. It's a variation of the 3-4.

And the track record is that Pendergast sucks, unfortunately.

http://kan.scout.com/2/848248.html

RustShack
08-02-2009, 10:38 PM
I don't think we are going to run the Cards defense... I think we just end up going 3-4 this year.. well essentially it will still be the 4-3 just Hali will be standing up.

booger
08-02-2009, 10:39 PM

3-4

chiefzilla1501
08-02-2009, 10:42 PM
The Chiefs are running the same 4-3 under scheme the Cardinals ran. It's a variation of the 3-4.

Well, I haven't heard that he sucks. I hear that his defenses do cause a lot of confusion and that Arizona's defense was really good at causing turnovers. But that the Cards struggled because it was way too complex. Kind of like Robinson's defense, I remember they were accused of thinking too much.

I just looked into the defense and I think it's a good fit for the personnel we have now, but I'm just not sold on this as being a long-term defense. Does anybody think that Pendergast is only our DC this year to get us through this awkward transition to a 3-4? Or do people think Pioli is committed to this 4-3 under defense for the long-term?

BossChief
08-02-2009, 10:43 PM

Im pretty sure he meant "3-4" teams and forgot the dash

booger
08-02-2009, 10:46 PM
Im pretty sure he meant "3-4" teams and forgot the dash

:thumb:

splatbass
08-02-2009, 10:52 PM
HALEY: “The way we are going to coach is the details, the little things, the fundamental basics. As I’ve said, it’s not rocket science. You can do it a number of different ways but there are some basics that have to be done all the time. One of those is fundamentals and if we feel like there is any slip in fundamentals then it’s our problem and we haven’t done a good job. We have to coach fundamentals and the basics all the time. You cannot assume that these guys have it.”

Maybe they could teach the defense how to tackle. That would be a nice change from the last few years.

DaneMcCloud
08-03-2009, 01:16 AM
Maybe they could teach the defense how to tackle. That would be a nice change from the last few years.

Seriously, if guys that have been playing at the highest levels of high school and college football don't know how to tackle once they get to the NFL, they'll never be able to tackle.

Chiefs defenders haven't been able to tackle in the past decade because they are too slow, too weak and too devoid of talent.

J Diddy
08-03-2009, 01:20 AM
Seriously, if guys that have been playing at the highest levels of high school and college football don't know how to tackle once they get to the NFL, they'll never be able to tackle.

Chiefs defenders haven't been able to tackle in the past decade because they are too slow, too weak and too devoid of talent.

I disagree. If you possess that much talent it can get you past the techniques.

For instance if I'm playing basketball with preschoolers I will own, don't even need technique. If I'm playing basketball with someone in approximation of my skill level and I show poor technique I will lose.

DaneMcCloud
08-03-2009, 01:23 AM
I disagree. If you possess that much talent it can get you past the techniques.

For instance if I'm playing basketball with preschoolers I will own, don't even need technique. If I'm playing basketball with someone in approximation of my skill level and I show poor technique I will lose.

Come on, Dude. When you get to that level, either you've got "it" or you don't.

You can't make Marinovich into Marino.

You can't make Blackledge into Elway.

J Diddy
08-03-2009, 01:31 AM
Come on, Dude. When you get to that level, either you've got "it" or you don't.

You can't make Marinovich into Marino.

You can't make Blackledge into Elway.

I disagree. Look at how many players can't tackle or blown tackles in the nfl, and not just on the chiefs. Eveyone is looking for the madden equivalent of the hitstick just because they used to be able to get away with it. I'm sure they know how to tackle. hell my 7 year old knows the proper way to tackle.

DaneMcCloud
08-03-2009, 01:35 AM
I disagree. Look at how many players can't tackle or blown tackles in the nfl, and not just on the chiefs. Eveyone is looking for the madden equivalent of the hitstick just because they used to be able to get away with it. I'm sure they know how to tackle. hell my 7 year old knows the proper way to tackle.

The problem is that they're out of their league.

Everyone knows how to tackle.

It's matter of conditioning, athleticism, training, coaching, scheme but more importantly, talent.

Talent trumps all.

The Chiefs have a tremendous dearth of talent.

Mecca
08-03-2009, 02:57 AM

I don't think I really agree that that's what they're doing now. Both Haley and Pioli said they are transitioning to a 3-4 within the last week.

Teams are obviously going to attack Hali's spot it's smartest thing to do.

Mecca
08-03-2009, 03:00 AM
In addition to Anthony Pleasant being an intern coach for the D, Haley mentioned Ritchie Anderson for the O. He was a former Parcells FB with the jets and cowboys. Pleasant was a longtime DL for Belichick.

Heard the part about Anderson from the video portion of this q/a.

In a move Ken Whisenhunt acknowledged was difficult personally, the Cardinals head coach fired wide receivers coach Richie Anderson Monday, four days after Anderson was arrested by Phoenix police for solicitation of a prostitute.

The Chiefs must offer better prostitutes.