PDA

View Full Version : Football Broncos Moreno Going Nowhere

Mr. Flopnuts
08-04-2009, 11:05 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_12986663

Broncos' Moreno going nowhere
The running back from Georgia is the team's last unsigned rookie after Ayers' deal gets done.
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 08/04/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT

Camp McDaniels' tents already up Knowshon Moreno is now the Broncos' longest rookie holdout since Cory Gillard.

Cory Gillard? That's the point.

Moreno, a running back from the University of Georgia selected by the Broncos with the No. 12 overall pick in the April draft, will enter the fifth day of his contract holdout today.

That's the longest delay by a Broncos rookie since 1997 when Gillard, a fourth-round safety from Ball State, held out for eight days.

Gillard wound up signing a three-year, $723,000 contract on the eve of the Broncos' first preseason game — then got cut a few weeks later. The holdout only appeared more ill-advised after the Broncos went on to win their first NFL title that season.

It's virtually certain Moreno won't suffer the same fate as Gillard, not with the Broncos expected to eventually sign their rookie tailback to a five-year contract that includes a guarantee of $12 million-plus.

But with the Broncos signing their other first-round pick, outside linebacker Robert Ayers, on Monday to a five-year contract that includes a $9.7 million guarantee, Moreno will be the last of the 2009 Broncos to show up.

"Honestly, it is a little setback," said LaMont Jordan, who opened training camp as the Broncos' No. 1 tailback. "If you ask around with the history of the league for any rookie that didn't report to camp on time, it would be a minor setback.

"But the good thing about Know-shon is that when he came in here (during the offseason minicamps), he was in good shape and he seems like he's a fast learner."

Although contract talks are expected to pick up, Moreno continued to work out on the Georgia campus Monday. A deal would have to be finalized in a hurry for Moreno to attend the Broncos' eighth training camp practice this afternoon.

Then again, the Broncos can give Moreno their full attention after cutting their rookie holdout problem in half by reaching a deal with Ayers between practice sessions Monday.

The No. 18 overall pick in the draft, Ayers received a 16 percent increase from the $8.36 million guarantee Baltimore quarterback Joe Flacco received in the same slot last year, including a $13 million base (guarantee plus salaries).

Ayers missed the first seven practices but after passing his conditioning test Monday afternoon, he said he would be on the practice field today.

"I felt like I was missing an opportunity to make an impression and earn a spot on my team," Ayers said. "I also don't want my teammates to feel like I was putting myself above the team. The guys in the locker room understand it's the nature of the business."

Ayers said he received mostly congratulations from his teammates Monday but expects some welcome-to-the-NFL antics today.

A defensive end at the University of Tennessee, Ayers will play the pass-rushing outside linebacker position in the Broncos' new 3-4 scheme. To help make the adjustment, Ayers said he worked out hard enough during his holdout to lose 4 or 5 pounds.

"I want to make a name for myself," said Ayers, who will wear No. 56 in honor of former Broncos and Tennessee Vols linebacker Al Wilson. "Getting to the NFL is phase I. The next step is to become a big name in the NFL, and that's what I want to do. I want make my name a household name, and I want to win games and I want to win championships."

At the very least, Ayers should become more familiar than Cory Gillard.

Buck
08-04-2009, 11:07 AM
Take away this guys thread starting privileges...Jeeeeeez

DaFace
08-04-2009, 11:07 AM
Seems like it's taking quite a while to get first rounders signed in general this year.

LaChapelle
08-04-2009, 11:12 AM
NoShow Moreno

Quesadilla Joe
08-04-2009, 11:28 AM
Mike Klis was just on a Denver radio station and said that Moreno could be signed by the end of the day and there is a good chance he will be back tomorrow. Adam Schefter has said that Knowshon will be signed by Thursday at the latest.

LaChapelle
08-04-2009, 11:30 AM
I hope he makes it to camp in time for GARBGAGE time play.

Jethopper
08-04-2009, 12:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8VEfyULmdA&feature=related

Watch Moreno's exceptional hands.

Mile High Mania
08-04-2009, 01:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8VEfyULmdA&feature=related

Watch Moreno's exceptional hands.

There's a clip like that for every player...

I like this one... the highlights kick in around the 2 min mark.

<object width="560" height="340">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/d5Tvu9Cx9PQ&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></object>

Broncofan7
08-04-2009, 01:31 PM
FEAR THE KNOW.