PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Q&A with TODD HALEY - 8/4

aturnis
08-04-2009, 04:53 PM
Q&A with TODD HALEY - 8/4 (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2009/08/04/qa_with_todd_haley__84/) (<-- LINKY)
Aug 04, 2009, 5:40:09 PM

TODD HALEY: “Afternoon everyone. Had two new players out there as you probably noticed in Amani Toomer and Vince Redd. They were able to go through the meetings and actually got on the field and I think they both made a couple of plays each. So, that was definitely a positive.”

Q: What do you hope to get out of Toomer? He was a guy that was available before you got here. Did you think you needed to add another receiver?

HALEY: “We’re actually down a receiver from the numbers we wanted. We had nine for most of camp, so we have been trying to make a decision if we wanted to bring someone else in. As we’ve said, we’ll do anything to improve the competition and a guy of Armani’s caliber and what he’s done in the league fits that bill. We worked him out and it looked like he had some gas left in the tank so we signed him. I was excited to see him make a play and I thought the rest of the receivers actually picked it up a little bit.”

Q: How do you feel about your receiver group?

HALEY: “It’s a work in progress. I think that we have to eliminate drops, have to do a better job mentally in some of the areas, but today was a positive. From what I could tell it looked like there was a little more focus and anytime you add a guy like I said of Armani’s ability and what he’s done in the league that will do nothing but help you.”

Q: Is it a talent issue or a focus issue?

HALEY: “I don’t think it’s a talent issue at all, I just think it’s just a matter of getting the job done on a consistent basis. I’m not real happy any time there’s footballs on the ground and there has been too many. It’s not something I’m used to, so we’ve got to do a better job as a group of catching the football ball.”

Q: How far away is Glenn Dorsey who came back to practice today?

HALEY: “I think he’s probably pretty close. He’ll probably need a few days to get into football shape because until you’re out there and actually going through the drills no matter how hard you’re working – and they’re working awfully hard – it’s still not football. He’s going to need a couple of days of football, I think, but I think he didn’t look too bad for his first day out there. Again, I didn’t look at the tape but I tried to keep an eye on him a little bit and he looked like he was moving around okay.”

Q: Derrick Johnson is back and obviously made a couple of plays for you today.

HALEY: “Happy to get Derrick on the field finally and the play he made on the goal line was tremendous. If you can run and hit like that, it’ll be a big help for the defense for sure.”

Q: Coach, you made it clear you don’t talk about the guys who are hurt, but what about when they come back. Do you give some guys fewer reps because of soreness?

HALEY: “Yeah, that’s part of coaching. We have to monitor the guys at all times. We have some older guys we don’t want to wear out. We have some guys who are nicked up or have various bumps and bruises that you have to keep an eye on. That’s just part of the job and that falls on the position coach to make sure. We have a staff meeting every night and talk about those things and who may need a little extra care. Generally, our philosophy is and my philosophy is you’re either practicing or you’re not. If the guys are on the field they’re practicing. It’s not one of those where they’re walking through or going to sit and watch. If you’re practicing you’re practicing.”

Q: Is that what you did with Zach Thomas today?

HALEY: “Yeah, so he moved over.”

aturnis
08-04-2009, 04:54 PM
No video yet...I've got to go workout, could someone embed the vid when it becomes available?

Micjones
08-04-2009, 04:57 PM
I'm wondering if Toomer and Redd had to take Haley's conditioning test?

The Franchise
08-04-2009, 04:59 PM
Wait....I thought his name was Amani Toomer....not Armani. Is that the reporters fuck up....or Haley's?

aturnis
08-04-2009, 05:01 PM
We'll have to wait for the video to find out. I caught it too, and thought the same thing.

LaChapelle
08-04-2009, 05:04 PM
2 more in street shape, only 20 more to go.

aturnis
08-04-2009, 07:30 PM
BTW it was the reporters fault....

RustShack
08-04-2009, 08:06 PM
Wait....I thought his name was Amani Toomer....not Armani. Is that the reporters fuck up....or Haley's?

I don't think Haley typed this.

RustShack
08-04-2009, 08:06 PM
2 more in street shape, only 20 more to go.

The OLB was just cut by the Patriots.. unless it only takes two days to get into "street shape"