PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs camp buzz: Dorsey gets on practice field

Tribal Warfare
08-04-2009, 10:29 PM
Chiefs camp buzz: Dorsey gets on practice field (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1365627.html)

Dorsey returns to practice

Defensive lineman Glenn Dorsey made his long-awaited return to the practice field, but it’s evident he has some way to go before he’s in top physical condition. Dorsey was breathing hard between plays on the practice field and was still doing so minutes after practice when he answered some questions.

“My left leg has been sore,” he said. “You don’t want to do too much (too soon) because it’s going to set you back. We’ll see how it goes (today). We’ve got two-a-days and my mind-set is to get better.”

Coach Todd Haley said Dorsey is close to being in optimum condition.

“He’ll probably need a few days to get into football shape because until you’re out there and actually going through the drills no matter how hard you’re working — and they’re working awfully hard — it’s still not football,” Haley said. “He’s going to need a couple of days of football, I think, but I think he didn’t look too bad for his first day out there.

“I tried to keep an eye on him a little bit and he looked like he was moving around OK.”

No Man’s Land

That’s what Haley calls the portion of the practice field used by players rehabbing an injury or getting into condition. Players in No Man’s Land lift weights, run and ride stationary bikes while their teammates are practicing.

Dorsey and linebacker Derrick Johnson, who had been bothered by a sore leg, escaped No Man’s Land on Tuesday. Veteran linebacker Zach Thomas wound up there.

Thomas began practice with his teammates but was given the rest of practice off in deference to his advancing age. Thomas will turn 36 next month.

But instead of just observing his teammates at practice, Thomas went to No Man’s Land to work out.

“We have to monitor the guys at all times,” Haley said. “We have some older guys we don’t want to wear out. We have some guys who are nicked up or have various bumps and bruises that you have to keep an eye on.

“Generally, our philosophy is and my philosophy is you’re either practicing or you’re not. If the guys are on the field, they’re practicing. It’s not one of those where they’re walking through or going to sit and watch. If you’re practicing you’re practicing.”

What you need to know about …

THE OFFENSE
The addition of Amani Toomer may have gotten Dwayne Bowe’s attention. He made a nifty sliding catch along the sideline and drew some praise from Haley. … Rookie kicker Ryan Succop was three of four on field-goal attempts. He made tries from 31, 35 and 37 yards but had a 41-yard attempt blocked. … The Chiefs are down to four tight ends after Tony Curtis was released to clear roster room for Toomer.

THE DEFENSE
In his first full practice of camp, linebacker Derrick Johnson was one of the defensive stars. The highlight came during a goal-line drill when Johnson shot through a gap in the line and flattened Larry Johnson in the backfield for a loss.

INJURY REPORT
Running back Kolby Smith, tight end Brad Cottam, offensive lineman Wade Smith, linebackers Demorrio Williams and Wes Dacus and safety DaJuan Morgan did not practice

DAILY BATTLE
The Chiefs are giving linebacker Andy Studebaker a long look as a deep snapper, but he doesn’t appear to be ready for the job. He had a couple of bad snaps in a previous practice and two more Tuesday. These were so bad that Haley ordered Studebaker out of the lineup. The only true deep snapper the Chiefs have is Tanner Purdum, who has no NFL experience.

TODAY’S SCHEDULE
The Chiefs will practice at 8:50 a.m. and 4:20 p.m.

BigChiefFan
08-04-2009, 10:44 PM
It's kind of nice to hear about some of the things that are going wrong, instead of all the Dr. Feelgood stories of year's past. Haley means business and nobody is above the team-I sure hope it translates to some wins.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-04-2009, 10:45 PM
The only true deep snapper the Chiefs have is Tanner Purdum, who has no NFL experience.

As I did at the time of his signing, I am re-establishing and once again copy writing the nick-name of "Perineum" for this kid, as he is more than likely chock full of FAIL.:evil:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perineum