PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Want your Derrick Thomas memories in print?

Hammock Parties
08-04-2009, 11:00 PM
We thought it would be a fun feature for WPI the magazine to get Chiefs fans to share their favorite memories of Derrick Thomas. Whether it was a personal memory or just the feeling you had watching a game, it doesn't matter.

Give me your thoughts, favorite game or anything Derrick Thomas related as he's about to enter the NFL Hall of Fame. If we use it, I'll get you a copy if you want one.

Keep it short...we don't want 500 words from each of you. 100-150 is good.

We also need your first name, city, and state.

08-04-2009, 11:03 PM
Sitting on the field during the rainstorm in the Seattle game. I remember walking down from the top level of Arrowhead and just loved seeing him sitting there like a kid playing in a puddle.

R.M.
Topeka,KS

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-04-2009, 11:04 PM
We thought it would be a fun feature for WPI the magazine to get Chiefs fans to share their favorite memories of Derrick Thomas. Whether it was a personal memory or just the feeling you had watching a game, it doesn't matter.

Give me your thoughts, favorite game or anything Derrick Thomas related as he's about to enter the NFL Hall of Fame. If we use it, I'll get you a copy if you want one.

Keep it short...we don't want 500 words from each of you.

We also need your first name, city, and state.

How many words DO you want?

Hammock Parties
08-04-2009, 11:04 PM
How many words DO you want?

100-150

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-04-2009, 11:05 PM
100-150

Okay.

08-04-2009, 11:06 PM
100-150That will take up a lot of page space.

Hammock Parties
08-04-2009, 11:08 PM
That will take up a lot of page space.

No it won't.

KCrockaholic
08-04-2009, 11:31 PM
Derrick was just one of those special people. Amazing guy off the field, dominant on the field. He was truly special to Kansas City thanks to all the hard work he put in to his foundation. He was a guy who would give back to our community every chance he got. I still remember hearing stories about when my grandmother was the president of M.A.D.D. and Derrick would come to help her out at pep rallies and such, and he would walk up and say "hey Marge" and give her a hug. Derrick was just a genuine nice guy. After all these years it is truly a blessing to finally have one of the best in the Hall Of Fame.

Mike
Colorado Springs, Co

Hammock Parties
08-04-2009, 11:32 PM
I still remember hearing stories about when my grandmother was the president of M.A.D.D. and Derrick would come to help her out at pep rallies and such, and he would walk up and say "hey Marge" and give her a hug.

Oh man, that's cool. Good stuff.

DaneMcCloud
08-04-2009, 11:34 PM
I'm sorry.

Most of mine include strip clubs, strippers and other "not-fit-for-print" memories.

Not that they're bad in any way.

:D

Hammock Parties
08-04-2009, 11:38 PM
I'm sorry.

Most of mine include strip clubs, strippers and other "not-fit-for-print" memories.

Dammit! Share!!! :cuss:

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-04-2009, 11:39 PM
I'm sorry.

Man you can't make that kind of claim and then hold out. That's just not right.

DaneMcCloud
08-04-2009, 11:44 PM
Man you can't make that kind of claim and then hold out. That's just not right.

He and Neil Smith used to hang out at Legs and Brother's III. I "dated" a chick for a while and Derrick used to bang her room mate. The room mate was on the Howard Stern Show around 1995.

Albert Lewis used to be a regular too, as did Todd McNair.

That's all I'm saying about that.

Hammock Parties
08-04-2009, 11:50 PM
Legs and Brothers?

LOL

What a great name for a strip club.

DaneMcCloud
08-04-2009, 11:53 PM
Legs and Brothers?

LOL

What a great name for a strip club.

Legs, Brothers III and Ziegfeld's were all owned by the same people.

Those were fun times.

The most ironic part was that Ziegfeld's used to be Frogger's, a place we drank at in high school. Before that, it was a pizza place.

Just image, semi-naked chicks in a pizza place you ate at with your family.

KcMizzou
08-04-2009, 11:56 PM
There was a time when my littlest brother was in bad shape, and suffering a lot. He spent many months at Children's Mercy hospital.

One day, Derrick and Hank Williams Jr. came around passing out teddy bears to all the kids. My grandparents were thrilled to see Hank. They were Chiefs fans, but didn't quite recognize DT.

Derrick asked my Grandma, "Do you know who I am?" And she replied, "No, but I'd bet you play football." I'm told he laughed and hugged her, and said, "Yes Ma'am, I do."

I still wish I'd been there.

Brandon
Parkville MO

58kcfan89
08-05-2009, 12:13 AM
I grew up watching Derrick and will never forget sitting in front of the TV watching the 6 sack game against Oakland in '98 and where I was when I learned he had died. Watching him hit the QB is one of the main reasons I'm a football fan, a Chiefs fan, and why I'm studying sports journalism. I can't wait until I can add his Hall of Fame enshrinement to the moments of his career I won't forget.

Throughout all these years, I still have my #58 jersey that I wore when I was a kid, because I'll never forget watching him and the Chiefs with my family on all those Sunday afternoons. I hope now that he is a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame that future generations of Chiefs fans can learn just how amazing Derrick Thomas was.

Andy
Wichita, KS

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-05-2009, 12:22 AM
Legs, Brothers III and Ziegfeld's were all owned by the same people.

Those were fun times.

The most ironic part was that Ziegfeld's used to be Frogger's, a place we drank at in high school. Before that, it was a pizza place.

Just image, semi-naked chicks in a pizza place you ate at with your family.

I remember that Triumvirate. :D Thanks for sharing!

Hammock Parties
08-05-2009, 06:25 PM
I will take a few more.

CHENZ A!
08-05-2009, 07:04 PM
DT has been my favorite player for my favorite team since 1989 when we drafted him, and I was 8 yrs old.

My uncle was in the US Airforce for over 20 yrs, and he got the opportunity to meet DT, and befriend him.

On my 18th birthday, my mom woke me up early on a Saturday, and told me to go check my email. When I opened it up, there was an email from DT wishing me a happy b-day, and saying that he and my uncle were planning to go fishing during the off season and if I stayed out of trouble I could go along. I told him how he was my favorite player, and how he was going to the Pro Bowl again and that our team was not far off. He thanked me, and said "from your mouth to god's ears."

We never got to take that trip, but for him to take the time out of his busy day to wish some kid happy birthday, and actually respond to the emails I wrote back made my week, and I will never forget it.

DT was a loyal Chief, and Kansas Citian. He wanted to be here, and didn't complain when times got bad and even when some in the fan base turned their backs on him.

I can't wait for his induction into the HOF, to celebrate his career, and his life.

Andrew
O.P., KS

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-05-2009, 11:45 PM
Right on, CHENZ A.

DT was a true Son of the City and a man we would all be proud to call "Brother".