PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Covitz: To Collinsworth, Cassel is an intriguing unknown

Tribal Warfare
08-06-2009, 12:41 AM
To Collinsworth, Cassel is an intriguing unknown (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1367316.html)

It’s not often you stump Cris Collinsworth with a question. But I did on Wednesday.

During an NBC Sports teleconference, I asked Collinsworth — who will replace John Madden on Sunday night football telecasts — his opinion on how he expects new Chiefs quarterback Matt Cassel to perform this season.

“I really don’t know, which is the most honest answer I can give you,” said Collinsworth, who accurately predicted in this space last January that Todd Haley would be the head coach of the Chiefs after the Super Bowl.

“You look at what he did last year — and I called one of (New England’s) games for the NFL Network last year. I think it was amazing what he did in New England.

“The idea you can not play in college, not play in the NFL, have your last start be in high school and come in and lead any NFL team to 11 wins is a remarkable story, by any standards. I don’t care which team you played on, even if it was a team that went undefeated the season before.

“They were five games less successful than they were a season ago. He did not throw the deep ball the way Tom Brady did or does. But not many people do, either.

“Are there still some questions? Yeah, there are. Now he’s going to a team that is going to try to run the same style of offense and not have the same weapons to run that offense around him. It’s a great case study.

“We’re going to learn a lot this season, not only about Matt Cassel and (Denver coach) Josh McDaniels, all the guys that were there in New England, but we’re going to learn a lot about the New England Patriots, too, and how significant Tom Brady is to this organization.

“It’s a story I’m going to follow closely. The players have been split up now, and we’ll see who ultimately has success, who the real contributors were to that season ago.”

Just can’t resist

The last thing I thought I’d ever want to use this space for is product promotion, unless of course the product was something I produced. Every day, I get press releases heralding sports-related merchandise, and I can’t delete them fast enough.

Today, I got one of those releases for something Royals fans might actually want: Zack Greinke Fatheads. The best part is that the image of Zack is him in a powder blue jersey.

Myself, I’m still saving my pennies for the Darth Vader Fathead that my wife will never let me put on a wall in our home.

Hammock Parties
08-06-2009, 12:46 AM
Who knew Randy was a huge nerd.

Pioli Zombie
08-06-2009, 05:49 AM
Collingswoth shows he's an idiot by bringing up the stupid "they won 5 less games" crap.
They were not the 16-0 2007 Patriots! They were the 2008 Patriots and their defense and special teams were not nearly as good. The defense played horribly in 4 of the 5 losses. There was one game, at Indy where you could say, "If Brady was playing they would have won"

Its a stupid and ignorant point that keeps getting brought up by morons like Collingsworth. Matt Cassel was not the reason the Patriots won 5 fewer games.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hammock Parties
08-06-2009, 05:51 AM
Collingswoth shows he's an idiot by bringing up the stupid "they won 5 less games" crap.
They were not the 16-0 2007 Patriots! They were the 2008 Patriots and their defense and special teams were not nearly as good. The defense played horribly in 4 of the 5 losses. There was one game, at Indy where you could say, "If Brady was playing they would have won"

Even that game was a bad example. Cassel played well enough to win. Gaffney dropped a sure touchdown in the second half.

LaChapelle
08-06-2009, 06:19 AM
I thought -who will replace John Madden on Sunday night football, was going to be one of the questions Collinsworth was going to be asked. sigh, at least I remembered to look for the answer again.

Amnorix
08-06-2009, 06:30 AM

Its a stupid and ignorant point that keeps getting brought up by morons like Collingsworth. Matt Cassel was not the reason the Patriots won 5 fewer games.
Posted via Mobile Device

So Cassel is as good as Brady?

Yeah...no.

Colts game without doubt, the squeaker to the JEts that meant the difference between playoffs and not, and who knows with the Steelers game -- we were 10-10 at the half, and with a better QB everything could have been significantly different. Instead, they blew our doors off in the 2nd half.

Amnorix
08-06-2009, 06:33 AM
Even that game was a bad example. Cassel played well enough to win. Gaffney dropped a sure touchdown in the second half.

Yes, but not sucking and playing outstanding are two different things, aren't they?

Guy A may play "well enough to win", but Guy B GETS you the win because he plays so much better than Guy A.

Look, Cassel seems like a pretty decent QB. See my other threads on him. But he is NOT Tom Brady, at least not at this point in his career and likely not ever. That, of course, is not that big a knock because the guy is obviously a top five all time QB, at the very least.

Pioli Zombie
08-06-2009, 09:28 AM
Oh my God you got me. Matt Cassel is not as good as Tom Brady. You guys are geniuses.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hootie
08-06-2009, 09:50 AM
forget Cassel/Brady...

as long as I have Amnorix here, I will again point out that Brady is no P. Manning, and not even close, either.

=)

Manning
GAP
GAP
GAP
Brady
GAP
Roethlisberger

No offense.

RealSNR
08-06-2009, 09:51 AM
Oh my God you got me. Matt Cassel is not as good as Tom Brady. You guys are geniuses.
Posted via Mobile DeviceYou're a little bit of a douchebag.

RealSNR
08-06-2009, 09:52 AM
forget Cassel/Brady...

as long as I have Amnorix here, I will again point out that Brady is no P. Manning, and not even close, either.

=)

Manning
GAP
GAP
GAP
Brady
GAP
Roethlisberger

No offense.Which mod did you piss off this time?

Hootie
08-06-2009, 09:53 AM
Which mod did you piss off this time?

changed it myself for more anonymity...