PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV John Hughes is Dead

JuicesFlowing
08-06-2009, 03:25 PM
Breaking news
updated 12 minutes ago

NEW YORK - A spokeswoman for John Hughes says the director of 1980s coming-of-age films like “Sixteen Candles” and “The Breakfast Club” has died in Manhattan.

Michelle Bega says the 59-year-old Hughes died of a heart attack during a morning walk. He was in Manhattan to visit family.

He made a teen star of Molly Ringwald with 1984’s “Sixteen Candles” about a girl’s nightmarish birthday on the eve of her sister’s wedding.
Story continues below ↓advertisement | your ad here

Ringwald also starred in “The Breakfast Club,” about a group of high school misfits during Saturday detention, and “Pretty in Pink.”

Hughes also directed “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off” and wrote “Home Alone.” He lived in Illinois and set many of his films in the Chicago area.

Check back with msnbc.com for updates on this developing story.

Demonpenz
08-06-2009, 03:29 PM
sorry dane

Halfcan
08-06-2009, 03:29 PM
I lost my Aunt Bev today as well-what an awesome person she was.

Fucking Cancer-horrible way to go.

Stewie
08-06-2009, 03:33 PM
Wow! That guy made some good movies. RIP!

Fish
08-06-2009, 03:33 PM
RIP.

Thanks for the Molly Ringwald fantasies back in the day....

Huffman83
08-06-2009, 03:34 PM
This is what you get for spilling paint in the garage!!!!

Do I studder!?!?!?!

bobbything
08-06-2009, 03:38 PM
Six bucks and my right nut says we're not landing in Chicago.

http://rtv6blogs.com/rtv6_boustheory/files/2008/04/sjff_03_img1209.jpg

Rain Man
08-06-2009, 03:43 PM
Tragically, he had a scorching case of herpes.

Ferris Bueller's Day Off is my all-time favorite movie. My flag shall be at half-mast tonight.

JuicesFlowing
08-06-2009, 03:44 PM
Don't mess with the bull, young man. You'll get the horns.

Fire Me Boy!
08-06-2009, 03:51 PM
Life moves pretty fast. You don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Garcia Bronco
08-06-2009, 03:54 PM
"Two hits. Me hitting you and you hitting the floor."

TinyEvel
08-06-2009, 04:00 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QhTiJEYqqY8&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QhTiJEYqqY8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

chasedude
08-06-2009, 04:01 PM
Looking him up on Wikipedia, I didn't realize he directed this!

Guy was a comedy genius.

<object height="344" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/82Wc92bFiZk&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425"></object>

Huffman83
08-06-2009, 04:02 PM
"You should see the toast, I couldn't even get it through the door!"

Hammock Parties
08-06-2009, 04:06 PM
GRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!

Huffman83
08-06-2009, 04:07 PM
"Sorry folks...parks closed. Moose out front shoulda told ya."

Huffman83
08-06-2009, 04:10 PM
Looking at his IMDB page...he had a pen name Edmond Dantès. And apparently wrote a lot of shitty movies under the name.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000455/

Hammock Parties
08-06-2009, 04:11 PM
Looking at his IMDB page...he had a pen name Edmond Dantès. And apparently wrote a lot of shitty movies under the name.

That's freaking hilarious.

Huffman83
08-06-2009, 04:12 PM
http://thumbnails.hulu.com/9/567/31194_512x288_generated__FTHU8cJCnUe8mfqKZbQpJA.jpg

You're stewed, buttwad!

Baby Lee
08-06-2009, 04:49 PM
Raise 'em high!!!

http://blogs.nypost.com/popwrap/16-candles-panties.jpg

Baby Lee
08-06-2009, 04:54 PM
St. Peter called, and John said . . . "he'll keep calling me, . . . he'll keep calling, . . . I'll go, I'll go, I'll go, I'll go, I'll go, I'll go, I'll go, I'll go."

Baby Lee
08-06-2009, 04:59 PM
The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, waistoids, dweebies, dickheads in heaven ... They all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude.

Huffman83
08-06-2009, 05:22 PM
I'm Buck Melanoma. Moley Russell's wart. Not her wart. Not her wart! I'm... I'm the wart. She's my tumor. My... my growth. My... uh, my pimple. I'm Uncle Wart. Just old Buck "Wart" Russell. That's what they call me, or Melanoma Head. They'll call me that. "Melanoma Head's coming." I'm s... uncle! Maisy Russell's uncle!

DaneMcCloud
08-06-2009, 05:46 PM

I wouldn't say "a lot".

There's a few but most likely, he was brought in to "polish up" a screenplay and didn't want to the producers to put "A film written by John Hughes" on the marquee.

The fact that he chose the name "Edmond Dantes" is hilarious in itself!

Huffman83
08-06-2009, 06:09 PM
I wouldn't say "a lot".

There's a few but most likely, he was brought in to "polish up" a screenplay and didn't want to the producers to put "A film written by John Hughes" on the marquee.

The fact that he chose the name "Edmond Dantes" is hilarious in itself!

Monte Cristo much Hollywood?

DaneMcCloud
08-06-2009, 06:10 PM
Monte Cristo much Hollywood?

I think that's hilarious. He gets his "revenge" by polishing up turd movies.

A big paycheck for basically doing nothing.

TrickyNicky
08-06-2009, 06:10 PM
I didn't know he wrote Dutch. That was a surprisingly good movie.

Nzoner
08-06-2009, 06:13 PM
Does Barry Manilow know that you raid his wardrobe?

Adept Havelock
08-06-2009, 06:22 PM

RIP John. Thanks for the laughs.

I never knew he was also a character in "The Count of Monte Cristo".

May you find your own tree, John.

KCChiefsMan
08-06-2009, 06:29 PM
damn, that guy was freaking talented. RIP, I liked a lot of those movies he wrote/directed

jlscorpio
08-06-2009, 07:46 PM
His movies defined my generation. Pretty much all of them were gr8, but Breakfast Club and 16 Candles are truly timeless. My 15 year old daughter loves them as much as I do. Planes, Trains, and Automobiles is the funniest shit ever made, IMO. RIP Sir.

Deberg_1990
08-08-2009, 07:35 PM
His movies defined my generation. Pretty much all of them were gr8, but Breakfast Club and 16 Candles are truly timeless. My 15 year old daughter loves them as much as I do. Planes, Trains, and Automobiles is the funniest shit ever made, IMO. RIP Sir.

Pretty much this.

My fave of his were Ferris Bueller and Uncle Buck.

RIP

Pioli Zombie
08-08-2009, 08:27 PM
The unedited scene when Steve Martin goes off on the rental agent in Planes, Trains, and Automobiles is a classic.

I loved She's Having a Baby with Kevin Bacon too. And Uncle Buck. He did some great directing of John Candy.
Posted via Mobile Device

Al Bundy
08-08-2009, 08:59 PM
R.I.P. John Hughes. He made some of the greatest movies of my childhood and teen years.

Gadzooks
08-08-2009, 09:02 PM
The unedited scene when Steve Martin goes off on the rental agent in Planes, Trains, and Automobiles is a classic.

I loved She's Having a Baby with Kevin Bacon too. And Uncle Buck. He did some great directing of John Candy.
Posted via Mobile Device

John Candy didn't need directing. John Candy was the man (R.I.P.)

Gadzooks
08-08-2009, 09:08 PM
BTW - John Hughes was a great. His movies had a feel that I can't quite explain.
They were comfortable... like home.

JohninGpt
08-08-2009, 09:13 PM
John Hughes died, one of my closest friends from High School (class of '86)passed away, and I saw Journey in concert this week. I'm getting a bit nostalgic tonight, but sitting here with a rum and coke and listening to old music in my new living room, which is only a few blocks away from my high school, is really making me think about what a wonderful and carefree time the '80's were.
If I had a time machine, I think I would go back and stay there.

Deberg_1990
08-08-2009, 09:15 PM
If I had a time machine, I think I would go back and stay there.

heh. NOt sure i would do the same...but the 80's were definately a much simpler time.

JohninGpt
08-08-2009, 09:27 PM
heh. NOt sure i would do the same...but the 80's were definately a much simpler time.

Yeh well, it's been a tough week.

Baby Lee
08-10-2009, 04:55 PM
http://wellknowwhenwegetthere.blogspot.com/2009/08/sincerely-john-hughes.html

He also told me he was glad I had gotten in touch and that he was proud of me for what I was doing with my life. He told me, again, how important my letters had been to him all those years ago, how he often used the argument "I'm doing this for Alison" to justify decisions in meetings.

Damn allergies.

Deberg_1990
08-12-2009, 01:25 PM
Molly Ringwald wrote to the NY Times to reflect on John Hughes and what he meant to her. Interesting read........

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/12/opinion/12ringwald.html?pagewanted=1&_r=3&hp

IN life, there is always that special person who shapes who you are, who helps to determine the person you become. Very often it’s a teacher, a mentor of some kind. For me, that person was John Hughes. Along with the rest of the world, I was stunned when I learned that he had died of a heart attack last week at 59.

Not long after hearing the horrible news, I found myself talking on the phone to Anthony Michael Hall, my friend and co-star in several of the movies John directed. His experiences mirror mine to a large extent. Both of us were catapulted from obscurity and planted in the American consciousness through the films that we did with John. Michael, as he prefers to be called, will be forever associated with “geekdom” just as I will always be the girl whose 16th birthday is forgotten. But for both of us, what really matters is less the mark that these films left on the world than the experience of making them with John, the mark it made on us.

We stayed on the phone for a while reminiscing about our old friend and mentor. Since the days of John’s death, we have both been inundated with missives from friends and acquaintances, sending us their condolences the way you would for a close family member. Yet the strange thing is, neither of us had talked to John in more than 20 years.

Most everyone knows that John retreated from Hollywood and became a sort of J.D. Salinger for Generation X. But really, sometime before then, he had retreated from us and from the kinds of movies that he had made with us. I still believe that the Hughes films of which both Michael and I were a part (specifically “Sixteen Candles” and “The Breakfast Club”) were the most deeply personal expressions of John’s. In retrospect, I feel that we were sort of avatars for him, acting out the different parts of his life — improving upon it, perhaps. In those movies, he always got the last word. He always got the girl.

None of the films that he made subsequently had the same kind of personal feeling to me. They were funny, yes, wildly successful, to be sure, but I recognized very little of the John I knew in them, of his youthful, urgent, unmistakable vulnerability. It was like his heart had closed, or at least was no longer open for public view. A darker spin can be gleaned from the words John put into the mouth of Allison in “The Breakfast Club”: “When you grow up ... your heart dies.”

I’m speaking metaphorically, of course. Though it does seem sadly poignant that physically, at least, John’s heart really did die. It also seems undeniably meaningful: His was a heavy heart, deeply sensitive, prone to injury — easily broken.

Most people who knew John knew that he was able to hold a grudge longer than anyone — his grudges were almost supernatural things, enduring for years, even decades. Michael suspects that he was never forgiven for turning down parts in “Pretty in Pink” and “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off.” I turned down later films as well. Not because I didn’t want to work with John anymore — I loved working with him, more than anyone before or since.

John saw something in me that I didn’t even see in myself. He had complete confidence in me as an actor, which was an extraordinary and heady sensation for anyone, let alone a 16-year-old girl. I did some of my best work with him. How could I not? He continually told me that I was the best, and because of my undying respect for him and his judgment, how could I have not believed him?

Eventually, though, I felt that I needed to work with other people as well. I wanted to grow up, something I felt (rightly or wrongly) I couldn’t do while working with John. Sometimes I wonder if that was what he found so unforgivable. We were like the Darling children when they made the decision to leave Neverland. And John was Peter Pan, warning us that if we left we could never come back. And, true to his word, not only were we unable to return, but he went one step further. He did away with Neverland itself.

“I just remember how fun it all was,” Michael said on the phone.

It was: the concerts he took us to (the blues great Junior Wells at Kingston Mines in Chicago), the endless mixed tapes he made for us and, most of all, the work itself. It doesn’t even seem like you should be able to call it “work” because we enjoyed it so much.

There’s a scene in “Sixteen Candles” where my character, Samantha, and Michael’s character, “the geek,” have a heart-to-heart talk. The scene lasts all of six minutes, but it took us days to film because we were all laughing too hard. John, too. He sat under the camera — his permanent place before directors retreated to the video monitor — while the assistant directors stood around rolling their eyes waiting for him to stop laughing and reprimand “the kids.” But how could he? He was one of us.

About 15 years ago, I wrote John from Paris, where I was living, to tell him how important he was to me. I had been on a François Truffaut kick and had just watched the series of “Antoine Doinel” films that he had made with the actor Jean-Pierre Léaud. There was something in the connection of actor and director that I recognized in us, particularly in the first film of the series, “400 Blows.”

After Truffaut died, I heard that Jean-Pierre Léaud had suffered a kind of breakdown, going so far as to drop flower pots on people from high-storied buildings. This is most likely a rumor, French film lore, but I think I now understand how painful it is to lose someone like that. John was my Truffaut. A week after I sent my letter, I received a bouquet of flowers as big as my apartment from John, thanking me for writing. I was so relieved to know that I had gotten through to him, and I feel grateful now for that sense of closure.

Toward the end of my phone call with Michael, we spent a little time catching up on mutual friends and family. I told him that my 5-year-old daughter, Mathilda, had just secured the part that she wanted in her theater camp — Tiger Lily, the Indian princess in “Peter Pan.” Michael made me promise to invite him to Mathilda’s debut as a fellow thespian. So in a few weeks we’ll drive to the theater and spend a couple of hours with Tiger Lily, Peter, Wendy and the Lost Boys.

Turns out, you can return to Neverland. At least for a little while.

Kyle DeLexus
08-12-2009, 02:19 PM
Thank god it wasn't Hugh Laurie! I don't think I could go on without new episodes of House, MD

DaneMcCloud
08-12-2009, 10:26 PM
Thank god it wasn't Hugh Laurie! I don't think I could go on without new episodes of House, MD

Vagasil might help that