PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV DirecTv Trick I just learned about

Buck
08-07-2009, 10:18 AM
A Friend of mine does this so I know it works.

With the Chargers Blackout scare coming up this season, I may use this tactic. Also, if any of KCs games will be blacked out, you may want to try it too. You can even do this just to save money on Sunday Ticket, even if Blackouts aren't a concern for your team.

Heres the deal.

I live in San Diego, CA. I have a relative who lives in Tampa Bay, FL. He gets DirecTV Sunday Ticket every year. We can get him to order an extra receiver (with a card in it) and Satellite Dish (he tells them its for him obviously). He sends that stuff out to us, and we set it up in our home. As long as we never plug the telephone wire into the DirecTV box, they won't know that its in SD instead of TB. We now get the Tampa Bay feed in San Diego, and never have to worry about Blackouts.

We just pay whatever extra it is a month for him to have that equipment, and also split his Sunday Ticket bill down the middle with him. It works for all parties.

I have a friend who lives in SD who has the Mobile, AL feed, and he's never had to worry about any blackouts because his Dad set him up with this same deal.

EDIT: THE LEGALITY OF THIS IS QUESTIONABLE. TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Mr. Flopnuts
08-07-2009, 10:19 AM
If anyone wants to send some stuff out to me in Seattle, I'm in.

The Franchise
08-07-2009, 10:20 AM

That'll be $500.

OnTheWarpath15
08-07-2009, 10:21 AM

EDIT: NEVERFUCKINGMIND

rockymtnchief
08-07-2009, 10:21 AM
Good idea.

I was wondering, can a person still buy the dish and receiver at a store and do their own install?

Buck
08-07-2009, 10:22 AM
Why would you need to?

You're out of market, the game wouldn't be blacked out for you.

And the Seahags are in no danger of not selling out.

You still get Sunday Ticket for half the price....or for free if your relative doesn't make you pay.

Buck
08-07-2009, 10:23 AM
Good idea.

I was wondering, can a person still buy the dish and receiver at a store and do their own install?

That was one thing that my friend said. You have to do your own install.

OnTheWarpath15
08-07-2009, 10:23 AM
You still get Sunday Ticket for half the price....or for free if your relative doesn't make you pay.

Thus the edit.

:banghead:

Gonzo
08-07-2009, 10:24 AM
Fucking thieving Charger Fans...

rockymtnchief
That was one thing that my friend said. You have to do your own install.

I've moved 20+ times since I bought all my equipment. It's pretty easy to do yourself.

Skip Towne
This all started when the shut down the illegal cards. It is called account sharing and it works. Don't ever call them for service calls or anything else. If you want to add channels or something your host must do it.

The Franchise
08-07-2009, 10:25 AM
This all started when the shut down the illegal cards. It is called account sharing and it works. Don't ever call them for service calls or anything else. If you want to add channels or something your host must do it.

Is there anything legally that they can do if they found out about someone doing this?

OnTheWarpath15
08-07-2009, 10:26 AM
Is there anything legally that they can do if they found out about someone doing this?

Other than prosecute?

You technically are stealing.

BigVE
08-07-2009, 10:27 AM

They update/send out new cards occasionally too.

Scorp
08-07-2009, 10:29 AM
Just tell em to "prosecute this" and point to your crotch area!

Bugeater
08-07-2009, 10:47 AM
Won't the receiver eventually shut down if it can't call out? I was doing something similar for a couple years, my mother in law had DTV so I had her order the ST and I went over to her place every Sunday and borrowed a receiver and hooked it up to the dish that was on my house from when I previously had DTV, but I seem to remember that it needed to "call in" on occasion so I always brought it right back.

Buck
08-07-2009, 10:49 AM
Won't the receiver eventually shut down if it can't call out? I was doing something similar for a couple years, my mother in law had DTV so I had her order the ST and I went over to her place every Sunday and borrowed a receiver and hooked it up to the dish that was on my house from when I previously had DTV, but I seem to remember that it needed to "call in" on occasion so I always brought it right back.

My friend has had his for 3 years and never plugged it into a phone line.

Bugeater
08-07-2009, 10:51 AM
My friend has had his for 3 years and never plugged it into a phone line.
Huh, I know I was told that at some point. It was probably just another lie by DTV in order to try to discourage people from doing it.

Scorp
08-07-2009, 10:54 AM
Won't the receiver eventually shut down if it can't call out?

No, the only reason you need a phone line is for ordering movies with the remote control and/or to have caller I.D. show on your televison. I have had DirecTv for 4 years now and have never had a phone line plugged in.

BigMeatballDave
08-07-2009, 10:55 AM
Won't the receiver eventually shut down if it can't call out? I was doing something similar for a couple years, my mother in law had DTV so I had her order the ST and I went over to her place every Sunday and borrowed a receiver and hooked it up to the dish that was on my house from when I previously had DTV, but I seem to remember that it needed to "call in" on occasion so I always brought it right back.No. Thats old technology. I have an HD-DVR and it updates without a phone.

rockymtnchief
08-07-2009, 10:56 AM
I've had my DTV since the day it came out. I've never plugged into a phone line. However, I did see that with the newer receivers with all the bells and whistles, they're supposed to be plugged in. My receiver is the old plain-jane style.

Buck
08-07-2009, 11:08 AM
In regards to ordering PPV on your box, I was at a friends house for the UFC100 and instead of ordering it on the TV w/ a Phone line (she didn't have a phone jack close enough), she just called in and they put it on her box. No phone line needed.

Buck
08-07-2009, 11:10 AM
So does anyone have any tips of what I should tell my relative to tell Direct TV why he needs a new receiver and satellite?

Mr. Flopnuts
08-07-2009, 11:11 AM
That'll be $500.

Is that what it costs? Holy Christ.

LaChapelle
08-07-2009, 11:12 AM
Pirating Buc fan raising my Dtv bill :cuss:

The Franchise
08-07-2009, 11:17 AM
So does anyone have any tips of what I should tell my relative to tell Direct TV why he needs a new receiver and satellite?

Yeah....good luck with that. Any excuse you give is going to make them suspicious.

Buck
08-07-2009, 11:18 AM

He was just fucking with you.

My mom, dad, and myself are going to split it w/ this relative, 4 ways, so each of us is going to end up paying like $40.

rockymtnchief
08-07-2009, 11:18 AM

Just buy it from the store and install it himself. Then tell them you need a new card for your extra receiver. OR...find an old dish, mount it, and order a 2nd receiver. Keep in mind, not all dishes work with all receivers. Get a receiver and dish similar to yours.

The Franchise
08-07-2009, 11:19 AM
He was just fucking with you.

My mom, dad, and myself are going to split it w/ this relative, 4 ways, so each of us is going to end up paying like $40.

Why'd you go and tell him? Damnit!!!!!

Anyong Bluth
I thought this was dead when they launched more sats that handle different regions of the country. Pretty easy to see you're scamming when pulling a feed outside your sat region. I'm in chicago and wanted to get KC feed for a box but they're fed by different sats, and i did a little research on the net about it. seems much riskier these days but i'd love to have it
Posted via Mobile Device

Buck
Yeah....good luck with that. Any excuse you give is going to make them suspicious.

I think you are legally allowed to tell them you need it for a Summer Home or something like that.

If not, he'll just get us the receiver and we'll find a Dish elsewhere.

Bugeater
08-07-2009, 11:20 AM
Well the receiver part is easy, all he has to say is he added another TV in his house. As far as the dish...that's a tough one. I still have my old one on my house you can have if you wanted to pay to have it shipped to you, or maybe find one on eBay?

Edit: Scratch that, I forgot I removed mine last fall when I painted.

Skip Towne
08-07-2009, 11:28 AM
Good idea.

Yes

Skip Towne
08-07-2009, 11:39 AM
Make sure you get an elliptical dish with three LNB's or you won't get local channels in most places. Tell them the dish is for your RV.

cabletech94
08-07-2009, 12:08 PM
It's called theft of services boys.
You're all going to hell.

Skip Towne
08-07-2009, 12:12 PM
It's called theft of services boys.
You're all going to hell.

Directv prosecuted everone they found with illegal cards but I've never heard of even one prosecution for account sharing. I think they would have a hard time making it stick since everything is paid for.

Calcountry
08-07-2009, 12:16 PM
This all started when the shut down the illegal cards. It is called account sharing and it works. Don't ever call them for service calls or anything else. If you want to add channels or something your host must do it.This, and if you have 2 homes, your "extra" rooms are in the other house.

Calcountry
08-07-2009, 12:18 PM
So does anyone have any tips of what I should tell my relative to tell Direct TV why he needs a new receiver and satellite?He has a vacation cabin that he wants to install it at, and mirror the new boxes under his main account.

At the worst, they will make you have a year committment for the new box, that's it.

Calcountry
08-07-2009, 12:19 PM
Directv prosecuted everone they found with illegal cards but I've never heard of even one prosecution for account sharing. I think they would have a hard time making it stick since everything is paid for.Skip, couldn't DTV start installing RFID chips in their boxes, so that they can ping their locations?

That solves all of this, I am surprised they haven't thought of it yet. Perhaps, they understand that they would lose a lot of subscribers if they did though? :shrug:

Skip Towne
08-07-2009, 12:20 PM
This, and if you have 2 homes, your "extra" rooms are in the other house.

I like the RV idea much better. They frown on two houses.

dtebbe
08-07-2009, 12:23 PM
Skip, couldn't DTV start installing RFID chips in their boxes, so that they can ping their locations?

That solves all of this, I am surprised they haven't thought of it yet. Perhaps, they understand that they would lose a lot of subscribers if they did though? :shrug:

Still got no return path unless you have it plugged into the phone line or ethernet.

DT

Skip Towne
08-07-2009, 12:25 PM
Skip, couldn't DTV start installing RFID chips in their boxes, so that they can ping their locations?

I'm sure they have some reason for not doing that. I'm sure they have thought of it. They didn't just fall off a turnip truck.

dtebbe
08-07-2009, 12:25 PM
The really sweet deal would be to get someone who still had locals with Chiefs games on a satellite that wasn't a spot beam. I looked into this a couple years back and Springfield was still on a nationwide transponder. I imagine once they converted over to MPEG 4 that probably all changed.

DT

Kyle DeLexus
08-07-2009, 12:27 PM
Now alls I have to do is find a friend or relative that has DTV

Skip Towne
08-07-2009, 12:29 PM
Now alls I have to do is find a friend or relative that has DTV

Or you could get D*. Then all you would need is a co-conspiritor.

Buck
08-07-2009, 12:48 PM
WTF is D*?

kcxiv
08-07-2009, 01:08 PM
I thought about doing this with a relative in L.A. I want the Dodgers/Lakers games for free. This shit is costing me to much. lol

Skip Towne
08-07-2009, 01:17 PM
WTF is D*?

Directv. E* is DishNetwork. (Echostar)

Mr. Flopnuts
08-07-2009, 01:23 PM
Skip, you're a pimp. Thanks for the knowledge.

Titty Meat
08-07-2009, 01:27 PM
Thats pretty illegal wouldn't be posting that on a internet message board.

Skip Towne
08-07-2009, 01:35 PM
Thats pretty illegal wouldn't be posting that on a internet message board.

I wouldn't be talking about it on a message board if it were illegal.

Kyle DeLexus
08-07-2009, 01:47 PM
I wouldn't be talking about it on a message board if it were illegal.

Well Buck looks like you can take your Edit down....Skip has spoken.

Monty
08-07-2009, 01:56 PM
I like the RV idea much better. They frown on two houses.

This is the way to go. This is what I do for the Command Center in KC and that's exactly what I told them when I set it up. I need to fire it up next time I'm up there to see which local channels I get as I'd like to skip paying for the NFL Ticket and just take the RV receiver back and forth between KC and Dallas as needed assuming that I can get the KC local channels on the RV receiver.

Buck
08-07-2009, 02:03 PM
So this is what I need to tell them.

1. I need a new reciever and Dish for my RV
2. The Dish needs to have 3 LNBs
3. The receiver needs to have a card in it (skip? do they all come w/ cards?)

Does that sound right?

The Franchise
08-07-2009, 02:07 PM

Does that sound right?

1. The RV excuse could really work.
2. Yep
3. I believe they all come shipped with cards in them.

Mr. Flopnuts
08-07-2009, 02:07 PM

Does that sound right?

Tell them you have 2 RV's and one is parked in Seattle. :D

Kyle DeLexus
08-07-2009, 02:16 PM
Tell them you have 2 RV's and one is parked in Seattle. :D

3 Rv's one in Seattle and another in KC

Skip Towne
08-07-2009, 02:18 PM
2. Yep

I've been away from D* for a year but they should have cards in them. Have the host activate them.

The Franchise
08-07-2009, 02:19 PM
3 Rv's one in Seattle and another in KC

4 Rv's....one in Seattle, one in KC and one in Sacramento.

Buck
08-07-2009, 02:36 PM
I've been away from D* for a year but they should have cards in them. Have the host activate them.

They activate them by, plugging into a phone line or what?

The Franchise
08-07-2009, 02:39 PM
They activate them by, plugging into a phone line or what?

No...by calling it in.

WilliamTheIrish
08-07-2009, 02:49 PM
Directv prosecuted everone they found with illegal cards but I've never heard of even one prosecution for account sharing. I think they would have a hard time making it stick since everything is paid for.

They not only prosecuted them, but drove a shit ton into bankruptcy.

The Bad Guy
08-07-2009, 03:04 PM

My buddy got sent a letter because he was programming cards for himself and family. He never heard another thing from them after the letter.

Skip Towne
08-07-2009, 03:19 PM

They even got OJ Simpson selling cards.

HemiEd
08-07-2009, 03:36 PM
2. Yep

A few years ago, the game at Miami was not carried anywhere, but a local KC broadcast, even on DTV. It was due to the Hurricane or something similar.

I called DTV and changed my address to KC, 1 Arrowhead drive. Told them it was my RV, and I was parked down there. They caught it, and didn't let me by with it.

Now I know a little more how to do this, and why that didn't work.

JOhn
08-07-2009, 05:11 PM
4 Rv's....one in Seattle, one in KC and one in Sacramento.

5 Rv's....one in Cody, one in Seattle, one in KC and one in Sacramento.

Skip Towne
08-07-2009, 05:32 PM

I think a new customer can have 4 free receivers. But one of you will need to subscribe.

DaneMcCloud
08-07-2009, 05:32 PM

$169 at my local Costco

DaneMcCloud
08-07-2009, 05:33 PM

Actually, Direct TV advised me not to plug in the phone line because they're having issues with PPV and the new receivers.

So I haven't and everything works fine.

Buck
08-07-2009, 05:35 PM
By the way, yes this is immoral, but this wouldn't be such a big deal if DirecTV didn't have a monopoly over Sunday Ticket.

DaneMcCloud
08-07-2009, 05:36 PM
With their activation process, I doubt you'll get this to work, Buck.

DaneMcCloud
08-07-2009, 05:36 PM
By the way, yes this is immoral, but this wouldn't be such a big deal if DirecTV didn't have a monopoly over Sunday Ticket.

The reason they have a "monopoly" is that they shelled out nearly ONE BILLION DOLLARS.

Good enough reason?

Buck
08-07-2009, 05:37 PM
With their activation process, I doubt you'll get this to work, Buck.

I thought if he ordered it, and there was a card in the receiver, it was activated? All he has to do is activate it then send it, right?

DaneMcCloud
08-07-2009, 05:43 PM
I thought if he ordered it, and there was a card in the receiver, it was activated? All he has to do is activate it then send it, right?

Yeah, he'll have to activate it on his account.

Man, this is not something I endorse, though. Furthermore, anytime I call DTV for new activations, help, etc., they always go through to check my account, my receivers, etc.

Personally, I don't think is worth going to jail for or worth a huge fine.

Go to a sports bar instead!

Buck
08-07-2009, 05:45 PM
Yeah, he'll have to activate it on his account.

Man, this is not something I endorse, though. Furthermore, anytime I call DTV for new activations, help, etc., they always go through to check my account, my receivers, etc.

Personally, I don't think is worth going to jail for or worth a huge fine.

Go to a sports bar instead!

If the Chargers get blacked out, I can't even go to a Sports Bar to watch them. I'd have to drive up to Irvine to watch the friggin Chargers games.

The Bad Guy
08-07-2009, 05:47 PM
Buc,

If you know someone who has superfan, they can watch all the games online. Just get their account username and password and you can watch the Chargers games.

It's not worth getting shit over.

Buck
08-07-2009, 05:49 PM
Yeah, I just reported this thread to the mods. Not sure they want this stuff on their board. We'll see if it gets locked up...I dont think my relative has SuperFan...oh well I guess I'll just drive to LA to watch Charger games this year.

JuicesFlowing
08-07-2009, 05:51 PM
Other than prosecute?

You technically are stealing.

"I learned about it on Chiefs Planet, Your Honor."

The Franchise
08-07-2009, 05:51 PM
Buc,

If you know someone who has superfan, they can watch all the games online. Just get their account username and password and you can watch the Chargers games.

It's not worth getting shit over.

Really?

I've got Superfan.

Buck
08-07-2009, 05:56 PM
I think if they could track where your receiver is, they could track where you are logging on to watch Superfan from.

Skip Towne
08-07-2009, 06:06 PM
There is nothing illegal about this. You aren't stealing anything. D* doesn't like it but they can't prosecute it.

Buck
08-07-2009, 06:11 PM
Pestilence and Flopnuts deleting posts...

Something fishy about that.

Mr. Flopnuts
08-07-2009, 06:18 PM
There is nothing illegal about this. You aren't stealing anything. D* doesn't like it but they can't prosecute it.

I wasn't positive. I appreciate the heads up on it.

Bugeater
08-07-2009, 06:22 PM
I think if they could track where your receiver is, they could track where you are logging on to watch Superfan from.
Jesus Christ dude, you are paranoid. I'd do this again in a heartbeat if I knew someone with Directv.

Skip Towne
08-07-2009, 06:29 PM
Jesus Christ dude, you are paranoid. I'd do this again in a heartbeat if I knew someone with Directv.

Correct. If they could prosecute it you would be reading about it in the paper. It's been going on for at least 5 years.

Bugeater
08-07-2009, 06:51 PM
Correct. If they could prosecute it you would be reading about it in the paper. It's been going on for at least 5 years.
I was doing it back in 2000-01.

The Bad Guy
08-07-2009, 07:13 PM

I don't think they would care about that. I don't see how they could IP trace that and shut it down when people can say they were logging in at a relative or a friend's house - just as long as they aren't logged in twice.

stlchiefs
08-07-2009, 08:21 PM
So could you just order DTV to a friends address in KC, say you're doing a self install, get your friend to ship the package on to you and install it in another city all the while picking up KC locals to catch the Chiefs games without paying for Sunday Ticket?

Let me know if I'm way off on this.

Param
08-07-2009, 08:31 PM
I might be wrong, but can't you just use a slingbox to get the Chargers game from your friend?

Fire Me Boy!
08-07-2009, 08:40 PM

5... + one in South Carolina.

Bugeater
08-07-2009, 08:41 PM
So could you just order DTV to a friends address in KC, say you're doing a self install, get your friend to ship the package on to you and install it in another city all the while picking up KC locals to catch the Chiefs games without paying for Sunday Ticket?

Let me know if I'm way off on this.
No, Buck is trying to get around blackouts, as far as I know Directv does not broadcast locals.

I might be wrong, but can't you just use a slingbox to get the Chargers game from your friend?
That should work as well if his relative has the Sunday ticket and he doesn't mind watching it on his computer.

Mr. Flopnuts
08-07-2009, 08:43 PM
No, Buck is trying to get around blackouts, as far as I know Directv does not broadcast locals.

That should work as well if his friend has the Sunday ticket and he doesn't mind watching it on his computer.

A lot of computers these days have HDMI outputs. You could literally stream in HD from your computer to your tv.

DaneMcCloud
08-07-2009, 08:44 PM
If the Chargers get blacked out, I can't even go to a Sports Bar to watch them. I'd have to drive up to Irvine to watch the friggin Chargers games.

Oh yeah, I forgot that you live in a sucky sports town.

:D

Kyle DeLexus
08-07-2009, 08:47 PM
A lot of computers these days have HDMI outputs. You could literally stream in HD from your computer to your tv.

Yep I had to get one with an HDMI output and got a TVTuner so I could just record everything to my computer and didn't need to get another DVR

Buck
08-07-2009, 08:53 PM
Ok, Skip has assured me this is legal.

This is going to be the best ever.

Not only do I not have to worry about blackouts, but I get to watch all the Redskins games too, and whatever other games I want to watch.

Sweet.

Oh, this is all contingent on my relative being good with it. If he doesn't want to chance it, then we wont do it...

However....if he wont, then maybe 4 of us on here could, you know, talk about things and set up a deal for us.

Mr. Flopnuts
08-07-2009, 08:55 PM
I'm stoked too. I haven't missed a Chiefs game in over 16 years. For the first time ever, I'll be able to watch in HD on my bigscreen every week this year. JIMP!!!

Kyle DeLexus
08-07-2009, 09:33 PM
Ok, Skip has assured me this is legal.

This is going to be the best ever.

Not only do I not have to worry about blackouts, but I get to watch all the Redskins games too, and whatever other games I want to watch.

Sweet.

Oh, this is all contingent on my relative being good with it. If he doesn't want to chance it, then we wont do it...

However....if he wont, then maybe 4 of us on here could, you know, talk about things and set up a deal for us.

I'm trying to find someone with DTV now. Then I'm going to have to figure out if my apartment complex will let me install a dish :)

Skip Towne
08-07-2009, 09:46 PM
I'm trying to find someone with DTV now. Then I'm going to have to figure out if my apartment complex will let me install a dish :)

Your apartment complex can't stop you from installing a dish. Federal Communications Act of 1996. They can make it harder but can't prohibit it.

Kyle DeLexus
08-07-2009, 10:01 PM
Your apartment complex can't stop you from installing a dish. Federal Communications Act of 1996. They can make it harder but can't prohibit it.

My last one made you pay some cash to put it up, thats good to know though