PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Haley 8/8

LaChapelle
08-08-2009, 09:07 PM
I was kinda hoping to read the team would get together and watch the HOF ceremony. Oh well..

Q&A with TODD HALEY - 8/8
Aug 08, 2009, 5:24:20 PM

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2009/08/08/qa_with_todd_haley__88/

Q: What did you think of the scrimmage today?

TODD HALEY: “For the first scrimmage I had some nightmares about it. Of all the things I thought could go wrong, I thought overall it was a smooth operation. I thought that some guys definitely showed up. I think the kicker made a couple nice kicks from distance. He missed an easier one but overall I thought it was a good first scrimmage. We got a lot out of it. I know we will get a lot out of it as a staff.”

Q: How did K Ryan Succop do overall?

HALEY: “I thought he hit a couple really nice ones between his misses. I think the last one they (referees) were a little generous to him, I don’t know if it went through or not. I just pulled one back at the end to test him a little bit and give him that mid to long range. He missed the first one clearly, but after that I thought he was pretty solid. He looked like he wasn’t panicking too much.”

Q: Is he the guy if you want range?

HALEY: “Yeah, one was 58 and that is a big kick. It was 58 with a little wind behind his back but it cleared easy, it made it over my dad (sitting in the end zone).”

Q: What is your thought on the quarterbacks?

HALEY: “Up and down for sure. All of them had some good plays and some not so good plays. We can’t throw the ball to the defense, that is for sure.”

Q: Did RB Larry Johnson knock the ball from QB Matt Cassel in yesterday’s practice?

HALEY: “Yeah, it looked like RB Larry (Johnson) knocked it out trying to get to the inside backer pressure. That is just something that we have to prevent. He has to keep two hands on the ball, Larry (Johnson) has to avoid him. There are some tough looks where the backs have to get there, but you can’t let it happen.”

Q: Is having this scrimmage better than a regular practice?

HALEY: “Without a doubt. We had coaches up in the box relaying plays and personnel. You have to practice otherwise it could be a fire drill on Saturday. I thought it was excellent work and then we got a little run in after, a little discipline drill.”

Q: Was making them run afterwards a disciplinary action?

HALEY: “No. We just need to condition. It has been cool and today was one of our hotter days and I thought we had to run some to keep our conditioning stamina up. The discipline drill was about thinking when you are tired, trying to concentrate and we have guys struggling at it. That is something we have to improve because that is when you don’t want the mistakes happening, when they are tired in the fourth quarter and the game is on the line.”

Q: Are you using the scrimmage as an evaluation tool?

HALEY: “Yeah. It feels like a game to the guys. They know it is a big deal and they know it is important so the intensity level gets up. You get to see somebody tackle and be tackled and turn the ball over, some of those things we saw. For an evaluation, next to a preseason game, it is as good as it gets.”

Q: Is there pressure to perform with your parents watching, especially with your dad being a personnel man himself?

HALEY: “It does put pressure on me when I see him over there with the roster and looking at it. I am going to try and use it to our advantage. I will definitely be asking him some questions tonight.”

Q: What is your dad looking for when he is watching from the sidelines?

HALEY: “I think he is watching some of the big guys inside and he’ll tell me what he thought, specifically those defensive lineman.”

Q: Is your dad the type of guy that would second-guess you?

HALEY: “Yeah, he has been second guessing me since the day I was born (laughs), but in a good way. I usually believe his second guesses.”

Q: Do you feel you were able to get some pressure from the outside?

HALEY: “Yeah, we definitely did. The quarterbacks were having to move around a little bit, so there was definitely some good pressure created. It is what we need to do.”

Q: Was it hard to sit back as a head coach and watch things develop?

HALEY: “I caught myself calling a couple plays.”

Q: When do they get their arrowheads back on their helmets?

HALEY: “When they make the team. Hopefully a couple will be popping up before too long, but we haven’t even played a real game yet.”

chief52
08-08-2009, 09:11 PM
I have been watching the videos of Haley's press conferences. The guy sure gives you a feeling of confidence. His comments are so different than the ones you would get from Herm. Breath of fresh air in my mind.