PDA

View Full Version : Cardinals Cardinals fan takes a header going for a foul ball off the first base line

pr_capone
08-09-2009, 03:11 AM
http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090807&content_id=6299794&vkey=news_stl&fext=.jsp&c_id=stl <--- link to video

Dude gets carted off the field all bloodied up.

Pujols to the rescue.

Old Dog
08-09-2009, 07:36 AM
NO, NO , NO
All athletes are assholes who don't care about anyone but themselves.....I guess Pujols, Hill and McClelland (for suggesting Pujols give the kid a ball) didn't get that memo.

You probably won't see this on ESPN.

chiefzilla1501
08-09-2009, 08:06 AM
Sorry if this makes me sound like an asshole.

But I have little sympathy for fans who reach over to get a baseball. I've seen too many plays where asshole fans interfere with a ball in play and turn their own team's triple into a ground rule double.

redfan
08-09-2009, 08:36 AM
classic, and good for Al.

Pasta Little Brioni
08-09-2009, 08:40 AM

But I have little sympathy for fans who reach over to get a baseball. I've seen too many plays where asshole fans interfere with a ball in play and turn their own team's triple into a ground rule double.

In this case the guy was likely trying to get the ball for his son who has down syndrome.....so yes you are an asshole ;)

Old Dog
08-09-2009, 08:43 AM

It doesn't appear that this ball was anywhere close to being fair. Kinda hard to tell from the video, but judging solely on the players reaction it wasn't. If it had been, I would be in total agreement with you.

Al Bundy
08-09-2009, 08:55 AM
That sucks for that dude, hopefully he is ok, but he learned that gravity always wins.

chiefzilla1501
08-09-2009, 09:03 AM
In this case the guy was likely trying to get the ball for his son who has down syndrome.....so yes you are an asshole ;)

Ah, touche.

Fish
08-09-2009, 09:13 AM

ROFL

BigRedChief
08-09-2009, 09:58 AM

Yes, you sound like an asshole. It was foul immediately.

The ball was hit foul off the visitors dugout fence it continued to roll down the outside wall past the cameras and the guy leaned over to get a ball for his downs syndrome kid on his birthday. The kid is a big Pujols fan.

Obviously the kid may not clearly understand whats happening and his idol talking calmly to him telling him that Dad is going to be okay, getting him a ball. There are just not enough stories like this involving our athletes.

Demonpenz
08-09-2009, 10:07 AM
off topic a bit, when is mlb going to put up plexiglass or something atleast until the end of the dugouts. I never get that good of seats but I always take my glove just incase i have to save people from a screaming line drive. Also Someones throat is going to get cut Yager style if bats continue to go into the stands .

chiefzilla1501
08-09-2009, 10:20 AM
Yes, you sound like an asshole. It was foul immediately.

The ball was hit foul off the visitors dugout fence it continued to roll down the outside wall past the cameras and the guy leaned over to get a ball for his downs syndrome kid on his birthday. The kid is a big Pujols fan.

Obviously the kid may not clearly understand whats happening and his idol talking calmly to him telling him that Dad is going to be okay, getting him a ball. There are just not enough stories like this involving our athletes.

I don't care if it was foul immediately. Fans should stay off the field, period. If you fall onto the field, you are an idiot and a huge distraction to the game being played. Because of what this guy did, he ended up delaying the game that fans paid to watch. And a huge chunk of the time, an overzealous fan interferes with a ball that is actually in play. I can't stand fans who interfere with the flow of the game.

I didn't know about the back story about the kid having Downs syndrome. What are the freaking odds that a fan like this has a kid with Downs syndrome let alone a kid with Downs syndrome on a birthday. 99.99% of the time, these incidents are the case of an annoying fan interrupting a game.

Demonpenz
08-09-2009, 10:23 AM
I don't care if it was foul immediately. Fans should stay off the field, period. If you fall onto the field, you are an idiot and a huge distraction to the game being played. Because of what this guy did, he ended up delaying the game that fans paid to watch. And a huge chunk of the time, an overzealous fan interferes with a ball that is actually in play. I can't stand fans who interfere with the flow of the game.

I didn't know about the back story about the kid having Downs syndrome. What are the freaking odds that a fan like this has a kid with Downs syndrome let alone a kid with Downs syndrome on a birthday. 99.99% of the time, these incidents are the case of an annoying fan interrupting a game.

if they are St. Louis fans, there is a good shot they are retarded

Reerun_KC
08-09-2009, 10:27 AM

QFT

One of the few things I agree with you on......

tomahawk kid
08-09-2009, 10:30 AM
I have an unadulterated hatred for the Cardinals.

Having said that - it's very hard not to pull for a guy like Puhols. The dude seems like a genuinely nice and sincere individual. He deserves whatever success comes his way.

I can't say that I fully understand most fans obsession with getting a foul ball (to the point of many times interfering with a game), but I FULLY understand what this man was trying to do for his son.....

StcChief
08-09-2009, 10:34 AM
stupid over a baseball.... isn't it good enough just to be in front row at game?

BigRedChief
08-09-2009, 10:35 AM
if they are St. Louis fans, there is a good shot they are retarded
:cuss: cheap shot. But still funny

StcChief
08-09-2009, 10:37 AM
if they are St. Louis fans, there is a good shot they are retardedright 24 years later Royals still got nothin'... who's the retarded fan.

Reerun_KC
08-09-2009, 10:39 AM
stupid over a baseball.... isn't it good enough just to be in front row at game?

Its just baseball... Not like it matters anymore.....

BigRedChief
08-09-2009, 10:40 AM
stupid over a baseball.... isn't it good enough just to be in front row at game?I'm sure he paid a good amount of money to be on the first row for his downs syndrome kid on his birthday. He looked out of shape and over estimated his capabilities.

On a side note, while I was on vacation snorkling in the coral reef in Florida, I had to sign all kinds of waivers about heart attcks etc. Wondered about that. While I was out there a guy on another boat had a heart attack out in the water and died. I guess they don't move for a couple of years and then come out and snorkle and die. Sad but true.

Pasta Little Brioni
08-09-2009, 10:41 AM
Its just baseball... Not like it matters anymore.....

What team are/were you a fan of?

Demonpenz
08-10-2009, 06:45 AM
right 24 years later Royals still got nothin'... who's the retarded fan.

yeah I know, st louis fans have a rep for being knowledge filled. When they were at the K alot of them asked me some stories behind players. Very fun stuff compared to you suck/my team rules

Saulbadguy
08-10-2009, 06:58 AM
What a dumbass.

BigMeatballDave
08-10-2009, 07:14 AM
Not a fan at all, but Pujols showed a lot of class there...

BigRedChief
08-10-2009, 07:24 AM
Not a fan at all, but Pujols showed a lot of class there...
And yesterday, taking a 95mph fastball in the ribs because your teammate hit a hime run and not charging the mound was pretty classy too.
BTW, for those following along at home.....

Pujols at bats with the bases loaded this year...
10 at bats.
8 for 10
27 RBI's
5 Grand Slams

Pasta Little Brioni
08-10-2009, 07:33 AM
And yesterday, taking a 95mph fastball in the ribs because your teammate hit a hime run and not charging the mound was pretty classy too.

10 at bats.
8 for 10
27 RBI's
5 Grand Slams

Yes, but you could tell by the look in his eye he wanted to. The Pirates are a pathetic excuse for a big league team, so I don't even know what kind of message they were trying to send by hitting him.

Al Bundy
08-10-2009, 07:46 AM

10 at bats.
8 for 10
27 RBI's
5 Grand Slams

Guys used to get hit every game like that. No big deal as far as I'm concerned and after the game Pujols said he didn't think it was intentional.

Demonpenz
08-10-2009, 08:25 AM
It does the cards no good for AP to be suspended, so that is probably why he didn't charge the mound. I am quite sure he knows for sure it was intentional. He has hawk-eyes

BigRedChief
08-10-2009, 08:32 AM
It does the cards no good for AP to be suspended, so that is probably why he didn't charge the mound. I am quite sure he knows for sure it was intentional. He has hawk-eyes
He looked really pissed. If you ever saw him in person, he looks like a guy you wouldn't want to tangle with. I think pitchers don't worry about that. The batter getting hit gets suspended if he charges the mound is a real protector for them. Losing Pujols in a pennanent race would not be a good thing.

Archie F. Swin
08-10-2009, 09:09 AM
did Pooholes sign the guys cerebral contusion?

Coach
08-10-2009, 10:02 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LBRm06mNq68&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LBRm06mNq68&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

WilliamTheIrish
08-10-2009, 10:09 AM
right 24 years later Royals still got nothin'... who's the retarded fan.

We'll always have the salt from your precious tears.

POND_OF_RED
08-10-2009, 10:10 AM
Whats sad is that in most parks this guy would not only have hospital bills but trespassing charges as well. Hopefully he doesn't and we just don't know about it.

WilliamTheIrish
08-10-2009, 10:12 AM

10 at bats.
8 for 10
27 RBI's
5 Grand Slams

Not charging the mound is now classy? What? I don't have the %'s in front of me, but I'm willing to bet that 95% of players don't charge the mound after being plunked.

Tard fans...

Saulbadguy
08-10-2009, 10:13 AM
Not charging the mound is now classy? What? I don't have the %'s in front of me, but I'm willing to bet that 95% of players don't charge the mound after being plunked.

Tard fans...

Charging the mound = classy.

We have this all mixed up.

WilliamTheIrish
08-10-2009, 10:15 AM
did Pooholes sign the guys cerebral contusion?

LMAO

Now that would have been classy

WilliamTheIrish
08-10-2009, 10:16 AM
Charging the mound = classy.

We have this all mixed up.

The Sporting News told me these fans know baseball.

Frazod
08-10-2009, 10:16 AM
We'll always have the salt from your precious tears.

Good, perhaps you can sprinkle it on your shit season. Maybe it will taste better.

WilliamTheIrish
08-10-2009, 10:19 AM
Good, perhaps you can sprinkle it on your shit season. Maybe it will taste better.

It'll take more than salt.

Frazod
08-10-2009, 10:29 AM
It'll take more than salt.

Antifreeze?

WilliamTheIrish
08-10-2009, 10:32 AM
Antifreeze?

Contraction?

BigRedChief
08-10-2009, 10:57 AM
Contraction?
You do realize that the Cardinals Payroll is only $7 million more than the Royals this year, correct?

http://content.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/salaries/teamresults.aspx?team=30

http://content.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/salaries/teamresults.aspx?team=7

We won a World Series in 2006. How many players are left on the 2009 team from that team in 2006? 5, Pujols, Molina, Carpenter, Wainwright and Kinney(who never sees the field).

So it can be done. We kept 4 core players(pretty damn good core) and rebult. We turned a team around in less than 3 years and are ready to contend again. How? It wasn't money. It was drafting. We had talent in the minors to give up for Derossa and Holliday because of good drafting.

Chief Henry
08-10-2009, 11:03 AM
Bad News Bears > Royals

MOhillbilly
08-10-2009, 11:07 AM
I feel sorry for that guy.

BigMeatballDave
08-10-2009, 11:07 AM
right 24 years later Royals still got nothin'... who's the retarded fan.Always a bitter Cards fan in the bunch...:thumb:

Chief Henry
08-10-2009, 11:11 AM
I'm sure he paid a good amount of money to be on the first row for his downs syndrome kid on his birthday. He looked out of shape and over estimated his capabilities.

On a side note, while I was on vacation snorkling in the coral reef in Florida, I had to sign all kinds of waivers about heart attcks etc. Wondered about that. While I was out there a guy on another boat had a heart attack out in the water and died. I guess they don't move for a couple of years and then come out and snorkle and die. Sad but true.

Dude, the guy died on his vacation. Was he on the same cruise ship as you were ?

Halfcan
08-10-2009, 11:13 AM
why do people clap when someone is being carted off to the hospitol??

WilliamTheIrish
08-10-2009, 11:26 AM
You do realize that the Cardinals Payroll is only $7 million more than the Royals this year, correct?

We won a World Series in 2006. How many players are left on the 2009 team from that team in 2006? 5, Pujols, Molina, Carpenter, Wainwright and Kinney(who never sees the field).

So it can be done. We kept 4 core players(pretty damn good core) and rebult. We turned a team around in less than 3 years and are ready to contend again. How? It wasn't money. It was drafting. We had talent in the minors to give up for Derossa and Holliday because of good drafting.

You could turn the roster over every three years and keep one guy in place. W/O that one guy, you're a 70 win team.

WilliamTheIrish
08-10-2009, 11:29 AM

And I was kidding about the contraction comment. I think.

gblowfish
08-10-2009, 11:31 AM
That guy fields like Billy Butler...

Otter
08-10-2009, 12:50 PM
Am I the only one who feels getting applauded while your hauled off the field on a stretcher sends mixed signals?

Frazod
08-10-2009, 12:55 PM
Am I the only one who feels getting applauded while your hauled off the field on a stretcher sends mixed signals?

Had it happened in the other Pennsylvania stadium he'd have been booed instead.

BigRedChief
08-10-2009, 01:24 PM
You could turn the roster over every three years and keep one guy in place. W/O that one guy, you're a 70 win team.maybe, but we will never know.

BigRedChief
08-10-2009, 01:39 PM
Dude, the guy died on his vacation. Was he on the same cruise ship as you were ?no. yeah he dies in the water and we get to hear his wife screaming as they do chest compressions on the guy.

Frazod
08-10-2009, 01:49 PM
no. yeah he dies in the water and we get to hear his wife screaming as they do chest compressions on the guy.

Fuck, that's awful.

BigRedChief
08-10-2009, 02:19 PM
****, that's awful.
Dude, I had people die on me on a daily basis for years. You just block it out and move on. Not your fault, nothing you could have done to prevent it etc. The wife had a hard time moving on though.

Frazod
08-10-2009, 02:24 PM
Dude, I had people die on me on a daily basis for years. You just block it out and move on. Not your fault, nothing you could have done to prevent it etc. The wife had a hard time moving on though.

What do you do for a living?

BigRedChief
08-10-2009, 02:30 PM
What do you do for a living?
Respiratory therapist. Mainly worked ICU and ER. You see the guys on TV doing chest compressions or putting tubes down peoples throats to help them breath?, thats us not the doctors in real life. Lost count of the number of lives I saved (at least a 100 persons), but I lost 1000 or more trying to save them.

Frazod
08-10-2009, 02:37 PM
Respiratory therapist. Mainly worked ICU and ER. You see the guys on TV doing chest compressions or putting tubes down peoples throats to help them breath?, thats us not the doctors in real life. Lost count of the number of lives I saved (at least a 100 persons), but I lost 1000 or more trying to save them.

Okay.

I thought maybe you were a contract killer or something. :bang:

chiefzilla1501
08-10-2009, 04:50 PM
Whats sad is that in most parks this guy would not only have hospital bills but trespassing charges as well. Hopefully he doesn't and we just don't know about it.

In a unique case like this, if that were the case, I'm sure someone on the team would step up and cover for the guy. Maybe Pujols.

In most cases, it's not sad. It's common sense--stay off the field. Now, if a guy gets clocked in his seat, that's a different story. I don't know why fans think because they pay for a seat, they have the license to do whatever they want.

Demonpenz
08-10-2009, 07:03 PM
You could fill up a hall of fame room with Pujols homerun balls at the K

joesomebody
08-10-2009, 07:27 PM
I don't like the cardinals, don't hate them, but don't like them. I am having a difficult time not at least appreciating Albert Pujols though. I truly pray he never ends up as one of the steroid abusers.

BigRedChief
11-24-2009, 01:49 PM
Bump for the 2009 MVP

BigRedChief
05-19-2010, 09:23 AM
dupe

BigRedChief
05-19-2010, 09:25 AM
Teen's dream of meeting Albert Pujols comes true
http://images.stltoday.com/stltoday/resources/burwell235story.jpg Sports Columnist Bryan Burwell
[More columns] (http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/columnists.nsf/Columnist/Bryan+Burwell?Opendocument)

Bryan Burwell (bburwell@post-dispatch.com)
ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH

05/19/2010

The words were way too big, too sobering and far too ominous for a 15-year-old kid to properly digest. Just a few days earlier, Jacob Trammell was a carefree youngster riding his bike, playing baseball and dreaming the sort of big dreams lots of young men his age like to imagine.

But now he was sitting in a hospital room in a small Missouri town named Willard, listening to these big, frightening words coming out of the mouth of his doctors, and it was almost like they were speaking in that same "waa-waaa-waa-waa" gibberish as the teacher in the Charlie Brown cartoons.
Gallery: Pujols helps a teen's wish come true (http://stltoday.mycapture.com/mycapture/enlarge.asp?image=29572741&event=1007179&CategoryID=38576&Slideshow=Stop#Image)

They started to tell him that the lumps in his groin were something called marginal-zone lymphoma, and it just didn't quite register.

"I didn't think it was anything serious," he said.<SCRIPT language=JavaScript type=text/javascript>yld_mgr.place_ad_here("inlineframe1");</SCRIPT>

"Actually," he said, "I didn't want to believe it was anything serious."

But it was serious, all right. Deadly serious.

It was a cancerous tumor in his lymphatic system, and this 15-year-old high school freshman's life was just beginning to be turned upside down.

But now it was seven months later, and a rather curious thing was taking place. Young Jacob Trammell was standing on the infield grass at Busch Stadium on Tuesday afternoon, and get this: He was autographing a baseball jersey for Albert Pujols.

"This is so ... cooooool," said the kid, a perma-grin planted firmly on his face.

Trammell was in St. Louis on Tuesday meeting the Cardinals' first baseman as part of the Make-A-Wish Foundation's gift to him for winning his fight with cancer. It has been four months since his last chemotherapy session, and four months since the oncologists told him that his cancer had gone into remission.

So the youngster from the small town near Springfield came to Busch Stadium with his mother, Debbie, and older sister Kaleigh to meet his favorite baseball player — with an ESPN camera crew in tow to record the event — and he couldn't stop smiling or hyperventilating. He also couldn't stop believing that so many things both good and bad had happened to him in such a short time.

In October, he'd gone from a smiling kid to an extremely sick one in denial. One day he's riding his bike, the next day he's listening to the doctors tell him he needs chemotherapy to survive. "And he didn't want to do it," said his mother. "He didn't want any part of chemo, but the doctors told him, 'There is no other choice. You do this or you let the cancer take over your body.'

"And a few months ago he just looked at me and said, 'Wow, Mom, I could have died.' And I told him, 'Yes, son, you really could have.'"

But three months of chemotherapy seem to have rid Trammell's body of the disease, and in early January the folks from Make-A-Wish were sitting in the hospital asking him if there was anything they could do for him. It's a misconception that every Make-A-Wish kid is in a life-threatening situation, and that when they show up it's a death sentence. The reality is, nearly 70 percent of the kids reach adulthood healthy. Everyone's hoping Jacob Trammell is going to be one of those survivors.

And, of course, meeting Albert was his first choice, right?

"Well, no," his mom said sheepishly. "Actually, he first asked them for a car."

Jacob shrugged his shoulders and rolled his eyes.

"Yeah, they pretty much told me that wasn't gonna happen," he said. "So I asked for Albert. Hey, he's still pretty awesome."

So there he was Tuesday afternoon standing inside the lower reaches of Busch Stadium with his personal escort Fredbird, the Cardinals' costumed mascot.

"This is cool," he said. "It's all happening so fast."

In a few seconds, he would walk in the Cardinals' clubhouse and meet Pujols.

"Are you ready?" someone asked the kid.

Jacob stood there for a moment, almost petrified. He took an exaggerated deep breath that seemed to inhale all the available air in that long corridor.

"Yeah," he said, a nervous grin spreading across his face. "Yeah, yeah. OK."

As the doors swung open, there was Pujols standing there in his bright red practice sweater, tugging down on the brim of a new red cap.

"Hello, Jacob," said Pujols, extending his hand to give Trammell a firm handshake.

"Awwwww, this is so cool," said the kid.

"Hello, Mom. Hello, sister," said Pujols graciously.

And then off they went, touring every crack and crevice of the Cardinals' private lair. In the clubhouse, he shook hands with Ryan Franklin, then Brad Penny and Kyle Lohse and Felipe Lopez. A few seconds later, Trammell was standing in front of Pujols' locker stall and Yadier Molina was shaking his hand, too.

Now he was looking around the expansive clubhouse, and his head was spinning as he took another deep breath.

"Whewwwww," said the kid. "This ... is ... so ... cool."

They ended up in the batting cage, and the kid was getting tips from the best hitter in baseball. The three-time National League Most Valuable Player dissected his swing flaws and made immediate corrections in about 30 seconds.

Later, when he was asked how long it took to calm down as he took his swings, Trammell blurted out, "Like NEVER! I was like, 'Ohhhhh, MY GAWD, Albert Pujols is talking to me over there!' ... This ... is ... so ... COOOOOOL!"

The day was not even close to being over, but Trammell was floating on a cloud. He looked at the autographed bat that Pujols gave him, carefully rubbing it like a genie's lamp. A few months ago, he was listening to an oncologist tell him that his young body was riddled with cancerous tumors. A few months ago, he was contemplating something a bit too sobering for a 15-year-old; whether he was going to live or die.

And now here he was on Busch Stadium's infield, giggling uncontrollably, trading autographs with Pujols. "I've been smiling so much today that my face hurts," he said.

He tossed both arms up above his head, leaned his head back and looked up to the heavens to make sure it wasn't a dream.

"This is as good as I imagined," Trammell said. "Better, actually. Waaaaaay better."

And then he giggled again like someone was tickling him. And just in case you didn't know already, he let you know how things were going.

"This," he said, "is ... just ... so ... COOOOOOL."

BigRedChief
04-08-2011, 08:00 PM
Pujols story on 60 mintues this Sunday.

LiL stumppy
04-08-2011, 10:53 PM
I went to school with Jacob and his older sister.

Actually, the jersey Jacob gives to Albert, was mine when I was a freshman.

Cool, none the less.

ClevelandBronco
04-08-2011, 11:11 PM
I don't care... Fans...game...played...game...fans...fan...play...fans...game...the kid having Downs syndrome...fan...a kid with Downs syndrome...a kid with Downs syndrome...birthday...fan...game.

Old thread, but I left the important parts. What's your rush, man?

BigMeatballDave
04-09-2011, 04:24 AM
Can we modify the thread title to 'stupid Cardinal fan'? :)

BigRedChief
04-10-2011, 06:51 PM
Pujols story on 60 mintues this Sunday.

60 minutes piece on Albert. A superstar on and off the field:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/04/07/60minutes/main20051808.shtml

On the road with Pujols:
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504803_162-20052250-10391709.html?tag=contentMain;contentBody

What makes Pujols a great player?
http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7362346n&tag=related;photovideo

Pujols stay with the Cardinals?
http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7362344n&tag=related;photovideo

Last line in the story:
Albert has shown us many great things since coming to America. Being a great baseball player is only one of them.