PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Marty-era Chiefs get together at the HOF...good Gretz article

Hammock Parties
08-10-2009, 12:02 PM
This was pretty cool. I wonder if anyone brought up the kicker that shall go unnamed or Elvis Grbac?

http://www.bobgretz.com/chiefs-football/another-great-dt-party-%E2%80%A6-sunday-cup-o%E2%80%99chiefs.html

The party roared late into the night in a big white tent just about 100 yards away from the Pro Football l Hall of Fame.

The bust of Derrick Thomas was not yet in its permanent position in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. That will happen sometime on Sunday, when his bronze likeness joins the rest of the 2009 Class of HOF inductees in the circular room where all the busts of Hall of Famers, all 253 of them, sit in their place of honor.

But Saturday night, after an emotional induction evening, there was nothing but smiles and laughter inside the party tent where the Hunt Family staged a post-ceremony party. Music played, some people danced, the lives of lost friends and teammates were reviewed.

And in the corner of this tent sat D.T.’s bust. And just like it would have been if he were there in person, that bust was never alone. There was a parade of people who stood with it and had their picture taken. Some rubbed his head and others just stood and stared at what was obviously the face of Derrick Thomas.

Whoever casts these busts for the Hall of Fame does a remarkable job every year in capturing how a person really looks, or in the case of Derrick, how he looked. This image was spot on, a spitting image.

To see that all one had to do was see Derrion Thomas walking around, shaking hands and getting hugs from family and friends. With a profile view there is no doubt that Derrion is D.T.’s son. Derrion told the crowd that he will head off to junior college this fall and then hopefully onto the University of Missouri where he hopes to play football.

The rest of his brothers and sisters were there, along with his niece. That’s right, Derrick Thomas is a grandfather.

Something about that doesn’t jibe with the mental pictures we all carry of the 33-year old D.T. in his final season of 1999.

Here’s what did look right under this big white tent: the celebration and the smiles on the faces of the people who knew D.T. best. How many times have we seen people that have lost a loved one go on with something in their lives and say of the person they lost “He/She would have wanted me to do this.”

Everyone in that tent knew the party is what Derrick Thomas would have wanted. There was nothing he enjoyed more than a party. Along a street coming out of the Hall of Fame were the white tents that held parties for all those who were honored with induction Saturday night.

“If he was here, this tent wouldn’t be able to hold everyone,” said his former teammate Kevin Ross.”They would have to bust out the sides. Everyone wanted to be around him and all those other tents would be empty.”

It was a party scene that Chiefs fans would have loved. There was Ross standing with Tracy Simien and telling a story of a half-time speech Marty Schottenheimer once gave. Ross was failing his arms around, shouting at the top of his lungs, looking like somebody who had just been struck with palsy. The best part of the picture was Schottenheimer was standing right there, roaring with laughter as Ross did his best Marty.

Earlier somebody had mentioned to Schottenheimer the blubbering picture of him that the TV cameras caught during the ceremonies. “I’ve given up trying to hold that stuff in,” Marty said. “Not that I did a very good job of it in the first place!”

Dave Szott was there with his youngest son. Szott now works with the New York Jets and he was at the team’s training camp in Cortland, New York at dinner time Friday evening. Then they got in the car and drove all night to get to Canton to enjoy the festivities. “I didn’t want to miss it, and I wanted my son to see it,” Szott said. “What a great night.”

Pat Schottenheimer stood off the side and watched a parade of former players find their head coach to say hello.

“You know years ago when we were in Kansas City, I was sitting in the box and I looked into the press box through the glass and Ozzie Newsome was sitting in there,” Pat said. “He saw me and he waved and he came around to the box and we were talking about some of the guys who played for the Browns when we were in Cleveland and Ozzie said, ‘Miss Pat, we are all grown up.’

“I’m standing here watching these familiar faces walk past and I just can’t help but think of that, they are all grown up.”

In the back corner of the tent was a big TV screen playing a continuous loop of an NFL Films-NFL Network tape with highlights and interviews about Thomas. At one point or another everyone stopped and watched John Elway go down, or Steve Young, or Jim Kelly. For a few seconds there was the face of Gunther Cunningham. If Carl Peterson was D.T.’s surrogate father, then Gunther was his surrogate godfather.

Gunther was there Saturday night in Fawcett Stadium. He slipped in midway through the event, stayed for Derrick’s induction and then hit the exit where he got back in a car with a Lions executive and drove back to Detroit. Even though Sunday’s a day off, he had to get back to training camp. Typical Gun.

Derrick would have understood.

Slainte
08-10-2009, 12:36 PM
Most apropos. Would loved to have been in that tent...

WilliamTheIrish
08-10-2009, 02:06 PM
I'll bet that was a great scene. I'd have killed to be a part of that. Seeing Szott and his kid again would have been great.

Baby Lee
08-10-2009, 02:17 PM
Hope all this gave Schotty and itch.

Dude even showed Vermiel how to cry right.

|Zach|
08-10-2009, 05:40 PM
Great read!

Not sure why you would lump Grbac in the same sentence as the kicker. Grbac wasn't that bad.

Hammock Parties
08-10-2009, 05:42 PM
Great read!

Not sure why you would lump Grbac in the same sentence as the kicker. Grbac wasn't that bad.

Grbac was a fucking crybaby quitter pussy who choked with the game on the line.

HemiEd
08-10-2009, 06:10 PM
And threw his team mates under the buss. He scored a negative 10 on leadership, in my book.

Crush
08-10-2009, 06:29 PM
Great read!

"I can't throw the ball and catch it too." - Elvis Grbac

Adept Havelock
08-10-2009, 06:47 PM
Thanks for posting this. Good read.

Scorp
08-10-2009, 06:49 PM
Great read!

Grbac had a nice two-minute drive going as he moved Kansas City from its own 39 with 1:30 left and no timeouts remaining to a first down at the Jags 18 before spiking the ball to kill the clock with one minute left.

Grbac then hit Larry Parker for only two yards, but with the clock under 45 seconds, Grbac inexplicably spiked the ball again on third down, killing the clock at 0:44. As the boos rained down from the stands and Grbac vented at Cunningham, Stoyanovich converted from 38 yards to cut Jacksonville's lead to 7-6 with 38 seconds left.

Yeah Grbac was phenomenal :banghead:

Hammock Parties
08-10-2009, 06:50 PM
Grbac was basically the anti-Green.

stevieray
08-10-2009, 06:52 PM
Awesome

CoMoChief
08-10-2009, 08:01 PM
Grbac is the best QB we've had since Dawson.

Scorp
08-10-2009, 08:15 PM

ROFL

Lex Luthors
08-10-2009, 08:18 PM
You've GOT to be kidding.

Grbac sucked for 3 seasons. Then he had one nice year when he threw for 4,169 yards in 2000. He immediately left the team, signed with the defending Super Bowl champion Ravens, and lasted exactly one year before quitting football altogether.

He had a million dollar arm and a ten cent head. He had no guts whatsoever. He was too hurt to play in a game where his only injury was a hurt finger. That was the same year that Brian Griese started several games for the Donkeys with a separated shoulder. Grbac not only had no head, he had no heart.

There are lots of quarterbacks who were a helluva lot better for the Chiefs than Grbac: Joe Montana, Trent Green, Steve Deberg, Dave Krieg, and Bill Kenney were ALL better QBs for the Chiefs than Grbac. Let's not forget that Rich Gannon outperformed Grbac while he was here too. If only the Chiefs had kept GANNON and let GRBAC go the Raiders (sigh).

Hell, I'd rather have Tyler Thigpen as my QB over Elvis Grbackup.

TEX
08-10-2009, 08:27 PM

You're talking about a guy who once missed a start in San Diego because of a jammed pinkie. Anyway, Moon got the start, and the Bolts won their only game of the season. Enough said.

Lex Luthors
08-10-2009, 08:29 PM
You're talking about a guy who once missed a start in San Diego because of a jammed pinkie. Anyway, Moon got the start, and the Bolts won their only game of the season. Enough said.
If I recall correctly, that loss eliminated the Chiefs from playoff contention that year.

Yeah, that Grbac was a great one.

KcMizzou
08-10-2009, 08:32 PM
Grbac is the best QB we've had since Dawson.And the record is still intact.

Como's always wrong. About everything. He's really the best at what he does.

dtebbe
08-10-2009, 08:47 PM

Grbac = QB for homo's

ROFL

Brock
08-10-2009, 08:52 PM

Like others have already implied, you're a moron.

CoMoChief
08-10-2009, 09:38 PM
ROFL.....I knew that comment would ruffle peoples britches.

Jesus, people I was jk about Grbac.