PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs 8/10/09 Monday practice notes

Mr. Krab
08-10-2009, 01:44 PM
Monday, August 10: Morning Practice

Attendance was lower at the 13th Kansas City Chiefs practice than it was during last week's practice. There were 95 fans today, which gathered along the south and eastern sides of the field. Though today’s number was low, it made it easier for fans to view the practice and gave them a better chance at getting a player autograph. Practice No. 13 started off at 70 degrees and a partly cloudy sky. A slight breeze came through every once in awhile with the wind was due north-northwest at two miles-per-hour. The humidity was at 84 percent with a dew point of 65.
Offense

The inactive offensive players for this morning’s practice were; running backs Jamaal Charles and Kolby Smith and offensive linemen Wade Smith and Tavares Washington. Washington got hurt in an earlier practice.

Offensive Line Coach Bill Muir was heard telling the offensive line it was time to get to work during the individual position work. “Button up and let’s go to work,” Muir said.

The receivers participated in a new drill this morning. Instead of the usual 1-on-0, the coaches were defending the receivers. The coaches were given hand shields and hit the receivers the second the ball reached them. There were a lot of balls on the ground during this drill. Some of the receivers had a tough time staying on their feet. Wide receiver Bobby Engram was knocked down twice during the drill, once maintaining control of the ball.

Quarterback Matt Cassel had a rough start to the teams 11-on-11 situational drill. Cassel’s first three passes were all incomplete. One of which hit the ground without a receiver in the area. His only completion came on a third-and-eight for a first down. Cassel was 1-4.

Toward the end of practice, the offense worked on late game situations where they were trying to run out the clock. One such instance put the offense ahead with just a few seconds to go. Facing fourth down, and not wanting to have a punt blocked, the quarterback was told to launch the ball high and out of bounds. Quarterback Tyler Thigpen had one ball land inbounds. Head Coach Todd Haley had a few words for Thigpen; “Tyler, how can you screw that up? All you have to do is throw it high and out of bounds!”

The last session of practice was a situation where the offense was 70 yards from the end zone and in need of a touchdown with only five seconds remaining. Quarterback Matt Cassel threw the ball across the middle to running back Javarris Williams who in turn was suppose to flip the ball to receiver Mark Bradley. Bradley was no where to be found and Williams seemed very confused. Bradley got an earful from Head Coach Todd Haley. “The Kansas City Chiefs just lost the game cause Mark Bradley didn’t know where he was suppose to be. You have to explain that to your teammates!”

Wide receivers Dwayne Bowe, Amani Toomer and Bobby Engram spent time on field 2 with the quarterbacks. The quarterbacks threw a few passes to the receivers who ran varying routes. Head Coach Todd Haley said that there was no significance in the fact that the three receivers weren’t practicing with the rest of the team. After the receiving drill, Toomer and quarterback Matt Gutierrez threw the football back and forth while chit-chatting.

Wide receiver Devard Darling talked with some reporters after practice. Darling said he’s pleased with how camp is going thus far. “We’re going to turn this thing around,” the six-year veteran said. When asked about learning an offense last season then turning around to learn a different one this season, Darling said there are similarities in the offenses, and he has no problem learning more. Darling was asked how he felt about Chiefs new quarterback Matt Cassel leading the team this year. Darling said, “I love Matt. He’s definitely ready.” Darling said that every day at camp is a competition, but he feels that he is at a slight advantage. “I have to take advantage of having Bobby (Engram) and Amani (Toomer) as receivers,” he said. When asked to compare the coaches he’s had in the NFL, Darling simply said that each of the coaches he’s played for have “taken care of [their] players.” Darling said that Chiefs new Head Coach Todd Haley really preaches about the mental toughness of his players, which is something new for the receiver. Darling ended by simply saying, “I want to work hard every day. I’m going to show the coaches they can trust me.”

Special Teams

In a change of pace, the teams started with a special teams session before going into their team warm-ups. The team took the field in shells for the first time during the morning practice.
Kicker Ryan Succop was catching punt snaps today during the team’s special teams sessions. Succop didn’t actually punt any balls, but was lined up as the punter. Succop has 85 career collegiate punts.
Todd Haley Press Conference

Head Coach Todd Haley’s press conference began with Haley saying that they devoted this morning’s practice to all phases of special teams. “It’s an area that we’re putting a lot of stress on. It’s an area we’ve got to be better in,” he said. “We obviously know that it’s a big part of these games.”

During his post-practice press conference, Head Coach Todd Haley was asked about how newly signed defensive end Tyson Jackson performed during this morning’s practice. Haley said that Jackson is on some of the teams that were focused on during practice. Haley said he was more or less paying attention to the whole scheme and team of the practice.

When asked how preparation changes with the first preseason game approaching, Haley said, “We’re still grinding. ‘There’s no light at the end of the tunnel’ is what I told them last night.” Haley said that as the week progresses, they’re going to have to get into more of the opponent stuff, but until then, Haley said, “We’ll try to stay as close to training camp mode as possible.”

Haley had been visibly frustrated more than once during this morning’s practice. Haley has been running countless situation plays during camp because he said he wants a “mentally and physically tough team that’s smart, specifically situationally smart.” Haley said that in the league today, you’re almost always in a situation-like circumstance. “The game is made up of a lot of situations,” he said. “In order to be a good team, you have to know what’s going on; you have to understand the situation, and you’ve almost got to do it without coaching.” Haley said that today’s practice involved a lot less coaching, so he could see what the players knew. “There was a handful of them that it was clear to me, they had not studied and stayed up on the situation, so yeah, I was upset about that,” he said.

Haley said he’s pleased with his group of linebackers because they’re a group of guys who can “run and hit.” Haley said Jovan Belcher and Pierre Walters are two players who look like they can run and hit. “It looks like they should be good special teams players,” he said. Haley said the core of a special teams has to come from the linebacker position, especially in a 3-4 defense. Overall, Haley said he’s “encouraged by this group of linebackers.” Haley said that linebacker Corey Mays has surprised him every day thus far. Mays was brought to the Chiefs as a core special teamer. Haley said that it now looks like Mays will be able to help the team out as a linebacker, as well. Haley said, “He just works hard. He’s very physical. He’s smart. When he’s out there, he runs the defense. He runs a tight huddle, a tight ship out there. I see that he’s not afraid to get on the guys and get them organized and lined up where they have to be. And he runs and hits, and I like guys that run and hit.”

Haley commented on linebacker Mike Vrabel’s passion for the special teams. Vrabel entered the league as a core special teamer, so Haley said “special teams is close to his heart.” “I think he’s into it,” Haley said about the 13-year veteran, “and I like guys that are into it and passionate about it.” Haley said when Vrabel’s not on the field, “something’s missing.” “He’s a great communicator. He’s a smart football player that understands those situations I was talking about. He’s the guy who’s helping coach everybody on the field,” Haley said. “We need more guys thinking and acting that way.”

During practice, long snapper Tanner Purdum wasn’t on the field during a field goal drill. “That’s a problem,” Haley said. “If you’re kicking a field goal, you must have eleven [men] out there. One of those should be a snapper, and one of those should be a kicker for sure or you’ll have major problems.”

Haley said he is going to keep running situation drills, saying, “If you learn something, you get it, and then you lose it, that’s a problem to me.” Defense

Cornerback DaJuan Morgan and linebackers Zach Thomas, Demorrio Williams and Monty Beisel continued to sit out of practice this morning.
After practice, rookie defensive ends Alex Magee and Tyson Jackson spent time with Defensive Line Coach Tim Krumrie. The trio was working on getting off the line of scrimmage and correct hand and arm placement while busting through the block. Cornerbacks Maurice Leggett, Jackie Bates and Londen Fryar took balls off the Jugs machine. The balls were sailing in as though they were kicks. The backs worked on their returning skills.

Extra, extra...

At 9:15 a.m. the horn sounded, and the team began warm-ups.
Wisconsin State Senator Sheila Harsdorf watched Chiefs practice today along with representatives from the offices of Wisconsin Governor Jim Doyle and U. S. Senator Russ Feingold, and UWRF Chancellor Dean Van Galen. They were seated on the west media bleachers next to practice field two, and were able to speak with members of the Chiefs staff after practice had ended.

Cornerback Brandon Flowers answered a few questions for the media this morning following practice. When asked what the biggest difference was in camp from last year to this year, Flowers responded, “The thing that I notice most is that Coach (Todd Haley) doesn’t want us to hurt ourselves mentally. A lot of football is a mental game, so he has us work on conditioning at the end of practice to keep us in shape physically so that when we get into a fourth quarter situation when we’re tired, we can focus on the mental part of the game.” Flowers was also asked about what his diet has been like during camp. “I’m definitely watching what I’m eating this year. Last year I really didn’t pay attention to it, but now I’m watching my diet and making sure I eat healthy and I already see it paying off.”

OnTheWarpath15
08-10-2009, 01:46 PM
Toward the end of practice, the offense worked on late game situations where they were trying to run out the clock. One such instance put the offense ahead with just a few seconds to go. Facing fourth down, and not wanting to have a punt blocked, the quarterback was told to launch the ball high and out of bounds. Quarterback Tyler Thigpen had one ball land inbounds. Head Coach Todd Haley had a few words for Thigpen; “Tyler, how can you screw that up? All you have to do is throw it high and out of bounds!”

LMAO

KCChiefsMan
08-10-2009, 01:47 PM

LMAO

WOW

Mr. Arrowhead
08-10-2009, 01:51 PM
pigpen is back

Hammock Parties
08-10-2009, 01:57 PM
we have a thread for this you know...

The Franchise
08-10-2009, 02:15 PM
The last session of practice was a situation where the offense was 70 yards from the end zone and in need of a touchdown with only five seconds remaining. Quarterback Matt Cassel threw the ball across the middle to running back Javarris Williams who in turn was suppose to flip the ball to receiver Mark Bradley. Bradley was no where to be found and Williams seemed very confused. Bradley got an earful from Head Coach Todd Haley. “The Kansas City Chiefs just lost the game cause Mark Bradley didn’t know where he was suppose to be. You have to explain that to your teammates!”

:clap::clap:

keg in kc
08-10-2009, 02:22 PM
“Tyler, how can you screw that up? All you have to do is throw it high and out of bounds!”

LMAOHe can only do that if there's a receiver in the area.

Huffman83
08-10-2009, 02:25 PM
“The Kansas City Chiefs just lost the game cause Mark Bradley didn’t know where he was suppose to be. You have to explain that to your teammates!”

I like the fact we're hearing more about accountability w/ Haley. The guy just reminds me of every football coach you would have had growing up.

MMXcalibur
08-10-2009, 02:41 PM
I read through this a bit ago and shook my head through the majority of it. Well, at least Haley's making them take accountability.

On Thigpen's throw that failed to go out of bounds, depending on where they were on the field, why didn't he just run around like a chicken with his head cut off? I know he was asked to throw, but still...I would think that'd be the more logical way to go about things given his skillset.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-10-2009, 03:17 PM

LMAO

Someone misses his Dickie-Curl...

“The Kansas City Chiefs just lost the game cause Mark Bradley didn’t know where he was suppose to be. You have to explain that to your teammates!”

I like the fact we're hearing more about accountability w/ Haley. The guy just reminds me of every football coach you would have had growing up.

Absolutely.

Halfcan
08-10-2009, 03:26 PM
good to see some focus on special teams-we have been DREADFUL in that department in recent years.

-King-
08-10-2009, 03:36 PM
So...you've decided to rebel against the official training camp thread and just make your own threads huh?

HemiEd
08-10-2009, 03:38 PM
On Thigpen's throw that failed to go out of bounds, depending on where they were on the field, why didn't he just run around like a chicken with his head cut off? I know he was asked to throw, but still...I would think that'd be the more logical way to go about things given his skillset.

Following instructions and being able to execute them, just may be a priority with this staff.

aturnis
08-10-2009, 05:00 PM
we have a thread for this you know...

Go to hell! I'm not digging through your mile long fucking thread you ass fuck motherfucker! :D