PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports White Sox Claim Alex Rios and his contract for nothing

Sure-Oz
08-10-2009, 05:02 PM
Report: White Sox claim Alex Rios straight up

Rios
According to Tyler Kepner of the New York Times, Alex Rios is headed to the White Sox on a straight waiver claim.
After several days of dancing around waiver claim reports, the Blue Jays decided to ship the 28-year-old and his $60 million contract off to Chicago for nothing. It's probably a wise move for a Toronto team focused on trimming the fat, but local and national media outlets will continue to chastise general manager J.P. Ricciardi. He may be out of a job soon. Aug. 10 - 6:35 pm et
Source: Tyler Kepner on Twitter

Reaper16
08-10-2009, 05:03 PM
:spock:

Buck
08-10-2009, 05:05 PM
Not sure who, but someone involved in this deal is and idiot.

Mecca
08-10-2009, 05:06 PM
Wow that's a hell of a way to just go here take his contract...

Good player for nothing.

Sure-Oz
08-10-2009, 05:07 PM
Not sure who, but someone involved in this deal is and idiot.

JP ridipshit imo....their GM

He got NOTHING for halladay, when he was at his peak value. He will still get something im sure solid but not as high as he was going in late june. Now he trades away a CFer for nothing except getting rid of a contract

Mecca
08-10-2009, 05:08 PM
The Royals should have used some of that revenue sharing money they keep pocketing to claim him.

Sure-Oz
08-10-2009, 05:18 PM
The Royals should have used some of that revenue sharing money they keep pocketing to claim him.

I think they used it all on guillen and farnsworth

Mecca
08-10-2009, 05:20 PM
I think they used it all on guillen and farnsworth

Well hey according to many the Royals get 100 mill before they do anything so where is the other 30 mill the payroll is 70...

Sure-Oz
08-10-2009, 05:22 PM
Well hey according to many the Royals get 100 mill before they do anything so where is the other 30 mill the payroll is 70...

It's david glass's toilet paper and DM wipes his ass

KevB
08-10-2009, 05:23 PM
If you think Guillen and Farns are overpaid (and they are), Rios would be an absolute albatross of a contract for the next five years. $12M/year for five years of Rios isn't a wise move for the Royals. Not that he wouldn't be an upgrade to the current group.....

Sure-Oz
08-10-2009, 05:24 PM
If you think Guillen and Farns are overpaid (and they are), Rios would be an absolute albatross of a contract for the next five years. $12M/year for five years of Rios isn't a wise move for the Royals. Not that he wouldn't be an upgrade to the current group.....

his .427 slugging % would make him guillen from last year

Mecca
08-10-2009, 05:25 PM

At this point I might take anything...

This MLB team needs to be blown up, whoever was the mastermind of this was a dumbass.

They have 8 million dollars of shitty catcher, a team that can't hit or field, it makes no damn sense.

KevB
08-10-2009, 06:46 PM
his .427 slugging % would make him guillen from last year

And I think we can all agree that Guillen from last year is not a player we want to be tied to for five years.

KevB
08-10-2009, 06:46 PM
At this point I might take anything...

This MLB team needs to be blown up, whoever was the mastermind of this was a dumbass.

They have 8 million dollars of shitty catcher, a team that can't hit or field, it makes no damn sense.

No doubt, but two wrongs (ok, more like 20 wrongs) don't make a right.

Titty Meat
08-10-2009, 07:10 PM
Perfect example of why baseball SUCKS

Sure-Oz
08-10-2009, 07:13 PM
And I think we can all agree that Guillen from last year is not a player we want to be tied to for five years.

Agreed...we don't need any other fail contracts

Coach
08-10-2009, 07:24 PM
I'm not sure I'd want to take that big contract for a career line of .285/.335/.451/.786 with a OPS+ of 104 type of a player.

Reaper16
08-10-2009, 07:32 PM
Your face is butt.

CoMoChief
08-10-2009, 08:04 PM
Report: White Sox claim Alex Rios straight up

Rios
According to Tyler Kepner of the New York Times, Alex Rios is headed to the White Sox on a straight waiver claim.
After several days of dancing around waiver claim reports, the Blue Jays decided to ship the 28-year-old and his $60 million contract off to Chicago for nothing. It's probably a wise move for a Toronto team focused on trimming the fat, but local and national media outlets will continue to chastise general manager J.P. Ricciardi. He may be out of a job soon. Aug. 10 - 6:35 pm et
Source: Tyler Kepner on Twitter

maybe he knows he's out regardless so to be a fucking prick, he's gonna leave the team in shambles as much as possible.

Maybe he will trade Aaron Hill to KC for Alberto Callaspo

DeezNutz
08-10-2009, 08:10 PM
I'm not sure I'd want to take that big contract for a career line of .285/.335/.451/.786 with a OPS+ of 104 type of a player.

That OPS+ is way too high for Moore's tastes.

Gadzooks
08-10-2009, 08:33 PM
Your face is butt.

You should take that to Lumpy's thread (the name of which I will not mention)

L.A. Chieffan
08-10-2009, 08:41 PM
its expensive in canada

doomy3
08-10-2009, 09:43 PM

Yet for some reason, your dumbass has to make a point to read and comment in just about every thread pertaining to baseball.

DJ's left nut
08-10-2009, 10:10 PM
I'll say this -- Rios would immediately be the most talented player on the Royals roster.

Now talented hasn't exactly translated to results thus far for Rios. However, if you'll compartmentalize his seasons you'll see some incredible flashes from him. In the first 1/2 of 2006 he had it all going, then he got some sort of infection that cost him a bunch of time and he lost a lot of weight and couldn't come back from the injury. In 2007 he looked like a star in the making. 24 HRs, 17 SBs and very steady play all around. Then in 2008 his power abandoned him in the first half, though he rebounded strongly again in the 2nd half. He appeared to be primed for a breakout 2009 but he struggled early and just couldn't seem to rebound. He's been a very strong player at home but has struggled on the road. However, he's looking stronger of late and seemed to be recovering nicely.

He's just a very strange player. He's also one of about 10 guys in MLB that has the talent to go 30/30. He's a very wortwhile gamble and if anyone unlocks his talent they'll have one of the top 15/20 OFers in baseball. He absolutely has that kind of talent.

THIS is the kind of move a shrewd GM makes. This is money far better spent than trading for Jacobs or signing Farnsworth. This is money that is far too often spent on replacement level guys when here you at least have the chance for an elite talent. Chicago is a major hitter's park and many careers have rebounded in Chicago (Dye, Konerko, Quentin, Thome, Podsednik just off the top of my head...).

I see Rios going the Quentin route in CHW; a young, highly touted, clearly talented hitter that puts it together. Things just got even tougher for KC, IMO.

Mecca
08-10-2009, 10:12 PM
I actually thought Rios would be a 30/30 guy but he has kind of fallen off.

DJ's left nut
08-10-2009, 10:23 PM
I actually thought Rios would be a 30/30 guy but he has kind of fallen off.

There are some rumblings that he may have been more of a 'money' player than folks realized. The theory is that he's just not trying very hard out there now that he has his contract.

Shame is the ultimate motivator. He just got dumped, his employers thought he was so bad that they just pitched him, that has to damage his pride a little. Further, Ozzie Guillen is a crazy !@$%er and I'd hate to have him managing my team, but this is exactly the situation he's cut out for. He'll crawl up Rios ass and will either break the kid down entirely or having him running through walls in a couple of weeks.

We'll know what Rios is capable of in September. If he continues to play mediocre baseball then I think you can pretty well give up on him as an elite talent. I don't think that will happen.

DeezNutz
08-10-2009, 10:28 PM
I'll say this -- Rios would immediately be the most talented player on the Royals roster.

Now talented hasn't exactly translated to results thus far for Rios. However, if you'll compartmentalize his seasons you'll see some incredible flashes from him. In the first 1/2 of 2006 he had it all going, then he got some sort of infection that cost him a bunch of time and he lost a lot of weight and couldn't come back from the injury. In 2007 he looked like a star in the making. 24 HRs, 17 SBs and very steady play all around. Then in 2008 his power abandoned him in the first half, though he rebounded strongly again in the 2nd half. He appeared to be primed for a breakout 2009 but he struggled early and just couldn't seem to rebound. He's been a very strong player at home but has struggled on the road. However, he's looking stronger of late and seemed to be recovering nicely.

He's just a very strange player. He's also one of about 10 guys in MLB that has the talent to go 30/30. He's a very wortwhile gamble and if anyone unlocks his talent they'll have one of the top 15/20 OFers in baseball. He absolutely has that kind of talent.

THIS is the kind of move a shrewd GM makes. This is money far better spent than trading for Jacobs or signing Farnsworth. This is money that is far too often spent on replacement level guys when here you at least have the chance for an elite talent. Chicago is a major hitter's park and many careers have rebounded in Chicago (Dye, Konerko, Quentin, Thome, Podsednik just off the top of my head...).

I see Rios going the Quentin route in CHW; a young, highly touted, clearly talented hitter that puts it together. Things just got even tougher for KC, IMO.

Cross Dye off that list. He blossomed in KC, and aside from one down year in OAK, has been consistent throughout the course of his career.

Being in CHI has nothing to do with this; he would have excelled anywhere.

KevB
08-10-2009, 10:40 PM

Rios has 3,000 career major league at bats. There's no more development to be undergone here. He's a decent outfielder, making star money. Would I rather have him than Guillen, Jacobs and Farnsworth? Sure. But viewed in a vacuum, he would not be a good pickup for the Royals.

As for the Quentin comparison, Carlos only had 400 AB's at the major league level in two partial seasons with the D'Backs. He was also 25 when traded, Rios is 28.

They've taken on significant salary over the next few years with Peavy and Rios. I assume they're planning the exits of Dye and Thome, with perhaps Konerko and Buerhle?

DeezNutz
08-10-2009, 10:43 PM
Konerko

Would look great playing 1B for the Royals.

tk13
08-10-2009, 10:45 PM
Eh, not that excited either way about this. He would be a talented addition to our roster, but that's a lot of money. And he'd be a bigger albatross around our necks than any of the FA's we signed. Guillen, Jacobs, Farnsworth, all those guys will be gone after next year. This guy's locked up for a long time. But I wouldn't be surprised to see Rios improve with that Chicago lineup around him, and in that ballpark.

DeezNutz
08-10-2009, 10:48 PM
A waiver claim isn't DM's style. He's much more comfortable making a panic move in the beginning stages of FA.