PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Q&A with TODD HALEY - 8/10

Tribal Warfare
08-10-2009, 08:17 PM
Q&A with TODD HALEY - 8/10 (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2009/08/10/qa_with_todd_haley__810/)
Aug 10, 2009, 2:48:17 PM

TODD HALEY: “This morning our main emphasis was on special teams as you saw. It’s an area that we’re putting a lot of stress on. It’s an area that we’ve got to be better in. We obviously know that it’s a big part of these games. So, we devoted most of this morning’s practice to all phases of special teams. You saw a lot of drills and some of the finer details of special teams that we got a chance to go through.

“We had a little blitz period at the beginning of practice and then finished with a situation review drill where we went over some of the end of the half, end of the game, last minute situations that are all a part of winning and losing. So, the majority of the day was special teams or situations.”

Q: How much does preparation change in a week where you’re getting ready for your first pre-season game?

HALEY: “We’re still grinding; there’s no light at the end of the tunnel is what I told them last night. As the week progresses we’ll have to get into some of the opponent stuff. But in the pre-season we won’t do too much of that. We’ll try and stay as close to training camp mode as we can.”

Q: As for special teams and those situations, did you get a little frustrated today with some guys knowing their responsibilities?

HALEY: “Yeah, I was definitely frustrated. I didn’t think you guys would notice. The situation is again what I’ve said: I want a mentally and physically tough team that’s smart, specifically situation smart and the game these days is almost all situations. You’re either coming out (of the endzone), you’re in the Red Zone, it’s two-minute (situation), it’s the end of the half, it’s short yardage, it’s goal line, it’s four-minute. The game is made up of a lot of situations. In order to be a smart team you have to know what’s going on, you have to understand the situation and you almost have to do it without coaching. So today was a lot less coaching to see what they know. There were a handful of them that it was clear to me that had not studied and stayed up on the situation. So, yeah, I was upset about that.”

Q: It seems like you’re getting a lot of looks at different linebackers because a couple of guys are dinged up? How’s that unit coming along?

HALEY: “I think we’ve got some guys that can run and hit. A couple of these young free agents, even this (Jovan) Belcher, Pierre Walters, they look like they can run and hit. Looks like they should be good special teams players. The corps of your special teams has to come from your linebacker position especially when you’re running a three-four (defense) and you have more of those on your roster.

“I’m encouraged there. I’d like to have all our guys back obviously. We had Vrabel back today, so I think we’ve got a chance to be okay. Corey Mays is another guy that has kind of surprised me every day – a guy that was brought in initially to be a core special teamer that looks like he could help us at linebacker. I’m encouraged overall by the linebackers.”

Q: What’s Corey done that’s got your attention?

HALEY: “He works hard, he’s very physical. He’s smarts. When he’s out there he runs the defense. He runs a tight huddle, a tight ship. He’s not afraid to get on the guys and get them organized and get them lined up and be where they have to be. Then, he runs and hits and I like guys who run and hit.”

Q: Vrabel looked like he got a little frustrated with the disorganization?

HALEY: “Anything he and I talk about I’ll leave between us. But Vrabel is a guy who came into the league as a core special teamer so special teams is close to his heart. I think he is into it and I like guys who are into it and passionate about it.”

Q: Do you like to see that kind of fire out of a player who is taking control?

HALEY: “That’s all we’re looking for. When he’s not on the field something is missing. He’s a great communicator; he’s a smart football player who understands just those situations that I was talking about. He’s the guy helping coach everybody up on the field which when we’re in game situations we’re not going to be able to communicate with them. They’re going to have to know what’s going on and we just need more guys thinking and acting that way.”

Q: One of the moments was when you went to run that field goal at the end of the clock and you didn’t have your long snapper out there.

HALEY: “I’d say that’s a problem.”

Q: He’s a young guy, but no excuses, right? Your reaction to that?

HALEY: “If you’re kicking a field goal, as important as any team out there, you must have 11 on the field and one of those should be a snapper and one should be a kicker for sure.”

Q: Any significance to the fact that Bowe wasn’t working with the first team?

HALEY: “Again, I’ve touched on this. There is no spot taken right now. We’re going to do everything we can to find players that do it our way and each day it may change. We’re going to find guys that do it our way and who we feel give us the best chance to win.”

Q: Is situational football and situational thinking properly tough for guys who either may have been here before or have done it differently or haven’t had it stressed as much?

HALEY: “Definitely, there’s a learning curve for sure because there are a lot of teams that don’t put a lot of time into it. I would bet that we’re putting as much if not more time than any team in the league. There’s a reason for that because I believe it wins or loses games for you. So, there is a learning curve though. I’ve got to have a little patience but at the same time whatever situation or team, when you learn something and you get it and then you lose it, then that’s a problem.”

Fire Me Boy!
08-10-2009, 08:30 PM
It's so refreshing to have a coach who knows flustrated is not a word.

Chiefless
08-10-2009, 09:09 PM
It's so refreshing to have a coach that knows what he's looking at...

teedubya
08-10-2009, 09:13 PM
Dude, I'm really starting to like this fucking guy.

crazycoffey
08-10-2009, 10:44 PM
I am ready for some football!

ChiefMojo
08-10-2009, 10:59 PM
He sounds like a football coach! He isn't here to preach, but to win ball games and put his team in the best possible position to win.

milkman
08-11-2009, 04:34 AM
It's so refreshing to have a coach.

FYP