PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs My surprise from River Falls...

Dave Lane
08-11-2009, 03:26 PM
I'll add my observations after just getting back from River Falls. It is nice to see one thing the Chiefs have lacked since the 90s. Coaching. DV ran long grueling practices, Herm well I'm not sure WTF he was doing in his practices apart from telling everyone how good they were doing while they lallygagged around laughing and telling jokes.

This was different, much different. It was serious, it was no nonsense, it was hustle or run. Several Chiefs players didn't hustle to the liking of the staff and they got to run "laps", really just the length of the football field but in front of the fans ouch!

Dorsey got a run in, several others that didn't hustle got their chance to jog past the snickering fans for dogging it during the drills. There were coaches gasp - teaching! Jon McGraw, a veteran, had a coach showing him foot positioning on special team drills and stopping the practice till he got it right. Little things, in fact hardly noticeable unless you had been to the last 10+ training camps were apparent. It was most interesting to watch and I think it will pay major dividends going forward.

Like every camp there were flashes from the players, I've seen it all from Brian Shay, Jesse Haynes and others that made great plays in shorts but this was not the real story from training camp. I'm not sure if anyone else noticed / reported on this or not. But the REAL story is not LJ, its not Dwayne Bowe or even Matt Cassel. Its not the flashy play or interception or great run, no this is the real story of training camp that I haven't seen since Marty left town.

Coaching is back.

rockymtnchief
08-11-2009, 03:29 PM
By the title of the thread, I thought you were going to say you caught a Wisconsin STD. :D

OnTheWarpath15
08-11-2009, 03:30 PM
By the title of the thread, I thought you were going to say you caught a Wisconsin STD. :D

Or found out that the cute coed he hooked up with last year has a 3 month old that looks just like him.

Mr. Krab
08-11-2009, 03:31 PM
Sounds good, Thanks.

Dave Lane
08-11-2009, 03:32 PM
Or found out that the cute coed he hooked up with last year has a 3 month old that looks just like him.

Goatee and all that would be awesome!

Hog's Gone Fishin
well, If our coaching is back then the trickle down should be a good thing.Thanks for the report.

rockymtnchief

OUCH!!!:thumb:

OnTheWarpath15
08-11-2009, 03:33 PM
Goatee and all that would be awesome!

LMAO

Settle down, Michael Douglas.

You'd just be happy to know you still have bullets in your gun and they're not blanks.

ROFL

HemiEd
08-11-2009, 03:49 PM
That sounds great, but is Krumrie still coaching the same way?

Halfcan
08-11-2009, 03:51 PM
Some on here think that even though we have a great new coach-the Chiefs will still suck??

Omar_Doom
08-11-2009, 03:53 PM
The coaching WILL be much better. I just hope the players dont resent our head coach like some of the Arizona Cards did.

Mecca
08-11-2009, 03:55 PM
Some on here think that even though we have a great new coach-the Chiefs will still suck??

Well yea you know generally speaking it does require talent to win games.

Dave Lane
08-12-2009, 07:06 AM
I do think the talent level is much higher than what they have shown. With Haley at least we will have a chance with Herm no chance for success.

Lzen
08-12-2009, 07:15 AM
The coaching WILL be much better. I just hope the players dont resent our head coach like some of the Arizona Cards did.

That led the Cards to a top 5 offense and a trip to the SB last year. If that's what player resentment gets us then I don't care if the players are butt hurt.

Lzen
08-12-2009, 07:16 AM
Dave, you are saying that you have been to the Chiefs training camps for the past 10 years or so. Correct?

DTLB58
08-12-2009, 08:01 AM
That sounds great, but is Krumrie still coaching the same way?

From what I noticed, not so much yelling, and more coaching.

During the sled drills you couldn't hear him from the sidelines ranting and raving.

Of the two practices I was at he only stood out once screaming and yelling and that wasn't even at DL players that was during ST drills. He yelled at players for what he thought was slacking on coverage.

But to me it sounded like he was just trying to impress Haley cause he yelled at them "Do what Coach told you to do, I can run faster than that" and then repeated it again louder.

Dave Lane
08-12-2009, 12:46 PM
Dave, you are saying that you have been to the Chiefs training camps for the past 10 years or so. Correct?

Yep since 1998.

:)

TEX
08-12-2009, 02:51 PM

I'm one of those. We just don't have much talent and the schedule is a killer. Having a good coach means we will improve - not get worse - though the record might not be much better. Having a good coach means we will establish a foundation of hard work and discipline that will translate into wins in forthcoming seasons. Having a good coach menas we are finally on the right track...

gta0012
08-12-2009, 03:00 PM
Sounds like high school practice haha. And yea I also thought he was referring to an STD.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-12-2009, 03:01 PM
Man that sounds awesome. Thanks for the report.

HemiEd
08-12-2009, 03:48 PM
From what I noticed, not so much yelling, and more coaching.

During the sled drills you couldn't hear him from the sidelines ranting and raving.

Of the two practices I was at he only stood out once screaming and yelling and that wasn't even at DL players that was during ST drills. He yelled at players for what he thought was slacking on coverage.

But to me it sounded like he was just trying to impress Haley cause he yelled at them "Do what Coach told you to do, I can run faster than that" and then repeated it again louder.

Thanks for the information, as you know, he is the one holdover, that many of us said WTF(?) when he was retained.

Hopefully, they know what they are doing and the guy knows how to turn a bunch of high first round picks into servicable linemen.

Groves
08-12-2009, 06:25 PM
We've all gotten a sense that Haley is no nonsense, but fair with the players. He doesn't make them read his mind, but explains what is expected and holds them accountable.

What brings me a smile is knowing that if he's doing that for his players, he's doubly doing that for his coaches.

Major trickle down.

It means guys like Krumrie are also coaching with the knowledge that they need to do it Haley's way or else.

Bwana
08-12-2009, 06:40 PM

Heh, judging from the title alone, I figured someone bought old Dave a hooker before I opened the thread. :hmmm:

PHOG
08-12-2009, 08:08 PM
I'm one of those. We just don't have much talent and the schedule is a killer. Having a good coach means we will improve - not get worse - though the record might not be much better. Having a good coach means we will establish a foundation of hard work and discipline that will translate into wins in forthcoming seasons. Having a good coach menas we are finally on the right track...

Not to mention a GREAT GM......

Dave Lane
08-13-2009, 03:33 PM
Not to mention a GREAT GM......

Forgot to mention that but yes it is a major upgrade as well...

Dave Lane
08-13-2009, 03:34 PM
I'm going to miss River Falls a lot :)